Olympic Spirit Centre Toronto Expected To Close Its Doors

I just heard that the Olympic attraction will be closing down. It's been losing lots of money, barely anyone visits it. Pretty sad but it shouldn't have been built in the first place.

Olympic Spirit attraction expected to close

SCOTT DEVEAU

Toronto's Olympic Spirit is on the wane, as organizers behind the interactive attraction in Dundas Square are expected to announce today that it is closing its doors.

The sports-themed entertainment centre laid off several of its staff earlier this week.

"We are preparing to make an announcement regarding our future," said Jay Whiteside, general manager of the facility. "It's not a happy announcement."

The $42-million, 52,000-square-foot attraction, opened in the fall of 2004, was expected to be a model for similar facilities around the world. It was officially licensed by the International Olympic Committee and the Canadian Olympic Association

It was intended to embody the values of the Olympics and inspire future Olympians with interactive exhibits and sports memorabilia.

But Olympic Spirit failed to reach an agreement with CBC that would have allowed it to carry the broadcasts of the Turin Games on its giant outdoor screens. In recent months, it became what Mr. Whitehead said was essentially "a retail business."

I heard that too last night from a pretty reliable source.

What paper is the article by Scott Deveau in?

I just heard that the Olympic attraction will be closing down. It's been losing lots of money, barely anyone visits it. Pretty sad but it shouldn't have been built in the first place.

Olympic Spirit attraction expected to close

SCOTT DEVEAU

Toronto's Olympic Spirit is on the wane, as organizers behind the interactive attraction in Dundas Square are expected to announce today that it is closing its doors.

The sports-themed entertainment centre laid off several of its staff earlier this week.

"We are preparing to make an announcement regarding our future," said Jay Whiteside, general manager of the facility. "It's not a happy announcement."

The $42-million, 52,000-square-foot attraction, opened in the fall of 2004, was expected to be a model for similar facilities around the world. It was officially licensed by the International Olympic Committee and the Canadian Olympic Association

It was intended to embody the values of the Olympics and inspire future Olympians with interactive exhibits and sports memorabilia.

But Olympic Spirit failed to reach an agreement with CBC that would have allowed it to carry the broadcasts of the Turin Games on its giant outdoor screens. In recent months, it became what Mr. Whitehead said was essentially "a retail business."

I knew it was bound to happen. The Olympic Spirit Centre is right beside my University Campus (Ryerson U.) and I have seen the deterioration of this building since its grand opening. The owners didn't keep up maintenance of the building and it honestly looked weared down the last time I saw it. Even gangs spray painted grafiti on the front ugly cement exterior at one point.

I went in there one time to check it out, it was completely empty and the prices that they were charging to have the whole tour and experience was pretty pricy. It doesn't surprise me that they are closing down, maybe its for the best. That space is prime real estate in Toronto's booming downtown area and could be used for something much better. Its located in Dundas Square which is growing really fast and is under going lots of construction at the moment. If some members do not know what Dundas Square is, it's sort of like the Times Square in New York City.

I knew it was bound to happen. The Olympic Spirit Centre is right beside my University Campus (Ryerson U.) and I have seen the deterioration of this building since its grand opening. The owners didn't keep up maintenance of the building and it honestly looked weared down the last time I saw it. Even gangs spray painted grafiti on the front ugly cement exterior at one point.

I went in there one time to check it out, it was completely empty and the prices that they were charging to have the whole tour and experience was pretty pricy. It doesn't surprise me that they are closing down, maybe its for the best. That space is prime real estate in Toronto's booming downtown area and could be used for something much better. Its located in Dundas Square which is growing really fast and is under going lots of construction at the moment. If some members do not know what Dundas Square is, it's sort of like the Times Square in New York City.

thanks for that at first i thought it was stink that they were closing but now i no why

The points you mention were the ones mentioned to the person who told me.

It was very expensive, for those just going in off the street.

Also, he said that the exterior signage was almost non-existent, except waaaay up there. There was no attractive street-level signage.

Apparently its really been kept going by school groups going through, of course, getting a good rate, as opposed to street traffic.

Exactly, even when the building opened, the outside exterior looked horrible. It looked as if it was rushed and they didn't finish off the exterior signage and overall look and appeal of the structure.

I'm just wondering what they will turn the vacant space into.

torch-mart.jpg

Someone wastes no time with photoshop altering the original Olympic Spirit design and altering it for the new tenants. :D

Nice!!

Archived