2012 Opening Ceromeny

daveb81

The worst case scenario is that they will have a segment with the latest hippity-hop artist from Luton and black, white and Asian kids breakdancing, in a show of London's multiculturalism.

It's a tough one really. Places like Beijing will have the "Oooh! How exotic!" factor but I think it is tough for 'Anglo-Celtic' countries to pull off something really original.

Let's hope that Britain's best and brightest get their act together and come up with something that will stun the world.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Will this thread still be going in 6 years time? Could be the world's longest thread by then lol

I guess it's up to us to make sure that it does!! ;)

Can we all safely assume that the Red Arrows will feature towards the end of the evening?

Churning out five colours of smoke of course, instead of their trademark red, white and blue.

Only if the ceremony is during the day. Maybe at the start. Atlanta, Seoul and Calgary have had fly-overs...and I think others have too.

We all know that the Opening Ceromeny to any Olympic games are a chance for the host country to show off what it's country and city has to offer.

Any ideas for an original and spectacular show?

Good afternoon,

I only have a suggestion for the last metre torch relay.

In the last opening cerimonies they used high technological systems to light the cauldron, every time more sophisticated then the precedent; perhaps the next time they will use some robot or some starships to do it.

Let us use technology for other goals ( to let the referees better judge the games themselves, perhaps :D ) and let us live the magical moment when one human arm inclines the torch to light the sport world !

Congratulations to all of you in UK and best wishes for the GAMES.

best rgds

Logic

why not just set the athlete on fire in some fire resistant outfit and have him or her dive into the cauldron?

When you feel that you MUST astonish :o:o:o people in your performance, you started with the wrong foot.

Anyway, nowadays I should not be surprised by a demonstration you funny suggested.

Bst rgds

Logic

London is arguably the theatre capital of the world. It's also a city known for style and design. I hope the Ceremonies reflect this creative sensibility. There is certainly room for pomp and circumstance and history, but I hope we will also see colorful, imaginative spectacle that is uniquely evocative of these particular Games. For instance, Sydey's underwater ballet was essentially an visual fantasia. I suppose one could argue that it was "Australian", but not blatantly so. It was principally something stunning to look at. I expect London to follow suit with a ceremony that doesn't sacrifice beauty or emotion to excessive preoccupation with "British-ness". There is enough talent in the UK to make these ceremonies the best ones ever. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the organizers managed to avoid the predictable, disjointed collage that we have come to expect from many ceremonies. I would love to see a fluid, cohesive program that functions as an artistic whole rather than a collection of disparate segments. So far, I think Athens has come the closest to this.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, a couple of things would be crucial to a really good opening,

Using the Thames ina similar way the Yarra was used in Melbourne 2006.

Some real CLASS music names towards the end, singing specifically Olympic composed cheestastic numbers! (thinking along the lines of Sydney here!)

Cracking opening of some sort involving horses and royal artillery (something between Royal tournament and Sydneys Opening!)

I think doing something Last Night of the Promsy would be really coll (Fanfare on British seasongs would be good, with sailors climbing massive rigging etc and Rule Brittania!)

Torch Relay involving Steve Redgrave, Seb Coe, Torvill and Dean, Linford Christie, Mary Peters etc..

And a Massive Firework Finish with the whole city skline being used, leading up to a massive firework finish in front of the London Eye (ala Sydney Bridge!)

I say divide the 2 hours of performance into a half hour for each of the home nations and let it be at late.

I'm sorry, but if they did that England should get 90% of the time dedicated to us because about 90% of the U.K.'s population are English.

Using the Thames in a similar way the Yarra was used in Melbourne 2006.

Hmmm... the idea was good; the execution better; but the results were actually mixed. I mean the flotilla of floating flags at night made for pretty pictures...but:

(1) are you supposed to step on other nations' flags or their facsimile thereof?

(2) Those floating flag barges...all these so-called athletic, macho men of Melbourne's Rugby teams were practically tottering trying to keep their balance while passing this dud of a Queen's Baton? I mean this was Athletics? Kinda klutzy and slowed down the whole proceedings.

And that walking on water...so predictable. I predicted they would do it 5 minutes before it happened. (That might've been better during daylight.) I mean it was so Sydney 2000.

But the Thames is so much bigger than the Yarra that any such regatta would have to be so MANY times the size of the Melbourne one -- that they might not achieve the right scale. Actually, it'll all depend on what Beijing and Vancouver will put on. Those will determine the bars that London must overcome for their Ceremonies.

For me, a couple of things would be crucial to a really good opening, Using the Thames in a similar way the Yarra was used in Melbourne 2006.

No doubt that would be good, but they need more originality!

Some real CLASS music names towards the end, singing specifically Olympic composed cheestastic numbers! (thinking along the lines of Sydney here!)
Definitely, some new 'choral' music is on the cards. Something special will be composed.
Cracking opening of some sort involving horses and royal artillery (something between Royal tournament and Sydneys Opening!)

The theme is supposed to be maritime, but equestrian could play a part.

I think doing something Last Night of the Promsy would be really coll (Fanfare on British seasongs would be good, with sailors climbing massive rigging etc and Rule Brittania!)
I too watched last night of the proms and I would say that the sea shanty songs are definitely the way to go in the way of tradition... One in particular is like Zorba the Greek in that it starts slowy but then builds to a fast crescendo....
Torch Relay involving Steve Redgrave, Seb Coe, Torvill and Dean, Linford Christie, Mary Peters etc..

Quite possibly, but 6 years is a long time - more heros to come?

And a Massive Firework Finish with the whole city skline being used, leading up to a massive firework finish in front of the London Eye (ala Sydney Bridge!)

I agree wholeheartedly with you there...

Archived