Gm Place Getting Energy Bar And New Lcd Scoreclock

Orca Bay, owner of the Canucks and GM Place, is installing one of those vibrant "energy bars" on the edge of the second tier of seating at GM Place (like those in Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, etc.).

Also, they are getting a new scoreclock at centre ice that will have LCD screens so replays will look much better. No word on if it will be 6 or 8 sided and if all sides will be LCD but either way, good call by Orca Bay.

Tickets prices have been increased a few dollars to pay for these additions.

"Energy Bar" is basically a 360 degree screen along the bottom of the second tier of seating,

72705174_46d5c9bd6f_b.jpg

^ i don't know where to begin to say how wrong it would be to have the ceremonies in GM Place.

first, you've got only 18,000 seats and the size of a hockey arena really limits what you can do. The IOC wouldn't accept Winter Ceremony stadiums below 35,000 capacity.

secondly, 10,000 seats are needed for the media, VIP, sponsors, and officials. Another 4,500 is needed for the athletes. add two together and you have barely enough for the general public. you'd also lose a lot of potential ticketing revenue.....ceremony tickets are big ticket prices.

third, it lacks room to organize such a huge event.

fourth, in general this is insane.

one more point......ice can be installed at BC Place for the ceremonies. Take a look at Salt Lake, that was temporary ice......we can especially do it and control ice quality since we've got an indoor environment: unlike SLC where it rained before the ceremony and in Torino where they avoided ice and decided to use roller skates.

But at least GM Place is spending money truly on something that will last and will improve the overall look of the stadium. I don't see BC Place is doing anything so far. Yeah, I said that 'cause I just wanted to diss BC Place =P.

What about the music for the opening and closing cerimonies? I think one of the songs should be 'I believe in you (in french as well)' by this 4 person group who sang the theme song for the World FIFA this year and w/ Celine Dion. It's really good and I think it's perfect. Please don't hire Avril. I hate her... she doesn't know how to sing... and she looks ugly, no offence to her and her fans.

^ anything but Celine Dion, nobody likes her and she already did Atlanta.

i was thinking something like "Tapestry of Nations", 8-minutes long, to open the Opening Ceremony - opening the ceremony with a multicultural theme. Thirty seconds and the drum beats get softer, the announcer says: "Peace and goodwill to all who gather in this earthly celebration. May the spirit of humanity bring us together in harmony and unity. And now, as the drums unite to become one heartbeat let us fly together under the rings of glory. Behold, the Games of the XXI Winter Olympiad!" Imediately after Olympiad, Olympic rings on the roof of the stadium are lit and these lights on the rings will be extremely bright allowing for clear visibility of it inside the stadium since light can be penetrated through the roof.

• 2 weeks later...

GM Place gets new high-tech scoreboard

Marke Andrews, Vancouver Sun

Published: Thursday, July 27, 2006

Fans who arrive at General Motors Place for Vancouver Canucks games will have new high-resolution graphics to watch on the scoreboard and on a new ribbon board that runs around the building.

Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment has signed a multi-million dollar deal with Daktronics, a South Dakota-based supplier of electronic scoreboards and computer-programmable displays, to provide and install the new displays.

The Vancouver arena will be the sixth NHL venue to have a Daktronics super system that incorporates video, scoring and game information on multiple displays, including the overhead scoreboard.

Twenty of the NHL's 30 arenas use Daktronics equipment.

Other venues using this system include Montreal's Bell Centre, Dallas' American Airlines Center, Phoenix's Glendale Arena, and Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, N.J.

The centre ice scoreboard will use Daktronics' high-resolution ProStar light emitting diode (LED) technology. The four video displays on the scoreboard will be 24 feet long and 14 feet high, with a resolution exceeding 300,000 pixels per screen.

The four main video displays are flanked by smaller LED displays presenting scores and statistics, as well as circular ProAd displays above and below the main video screens.

The ribbon board, also known as a power ring, runs the circumference of the arena, where out-of-town scores, graphics, video clips, messages and revenue-generating advertising messages can be projected.

The GM Place power ring will be located in front of the 300 level of seats, running 950 feet in circumference and two feet high.

Harvey Jones, Orca Bay's vice president and general manager of arena operations, did not return calls, so no one would comment on the price of the system, cited in a Daktronics press release as a "a multi-million dollar enhancement."

Daktronics, which began in 1968, has installed 2,500 ProStar, ProAd and ProTable display units at sports, entertainment and commercial venues. The company's scoreboards are currently used in 70 countries on six continents, and users include the winter and summer Olympics, the PGA, and professional and college hockey, baseball, basketball and football leagues.

Daktronics technology is also used in airports, train stations, bus and ferry terminals displaying travel information, and electronic voting and display of results during elections.

mandrews@png.canwest.com

SUPER SYSTEM

The new Daktronics video display system at General Motors Place will have:

- Four video displays on the overhead scoreboard, 24 feet long by 14 feet high.

- Each screen has a resolution exceeding 300,000 pixels per screen.

- LED displays 13 feet, 6 inches by five feet, flanking the main video displays.

- A 950-foot-by-two-foot "power ring" display running the circumference of the arena that shows scores, graphics and advertising.

© The Vancouver Sun 2006

lsvmemphis.jpg

vpmain.jpg

• 6 months later...

Mr.x and others, has Vancouver Canucks "outgrown" the capacity of GM Place? I'm asking because it seems that the Calgary Flames outgrew the Saddledome and needs to have a new arena. As of right now, one of Calgary's known landmarks is up in the air. I'll have to find out more information about this turn of events.

^ outgrew? well, GM Place was completed 11 years ago and right now, it seats about 18,500 people even though at each Canucks game there are between 25,000-35,000 people looking to get a seat. It has been like this for the last 4 seasons.

If that's what you mean, I would say yes. Otherwise, the garage is still a great facility.

.....and regarding a new arena to replace the Saddledome, it would be a shame if that happened. It's a Calgary landmark much like Vancouver's Canada Place or NYC's Madisson Square Garden. An extensive renovation for the Saddledome would do.

Mr.x and others, has Vancouver Canucks "outgrown" the capacity of GM Place? I'm asking because it seems that the Calgary Flames outgrew the Saddledome and needs to have a new arena. As of right now, one of Calgary's known landmarks is up in the air. I'll have to find out more information about this turn of events.

Don't forget the Canucks were originally in the Pacific Coliseum before moving to GM Place.

^ outgrew? well, GM Place was completed 11 years ago and right now, it seats about 18,500 people even though at each Canucks game there are between 25,000-35,000 people looking to get a seat. It has been like this for the last 4 seasons.

If that's what you mean, I would say yes. Otherwise, the garage is still a great facility.

The Saddledome seats just as many, but the Calgary Flames organization has been reported that it is not enough. This is, to me, very strange because Calgary's population base is not huge, in comparison to Vancouver here. Seeing that post about the Pacific Coliseum there, the Calgary Flames used to have the Corral as their former ice arena, before the Saddledome came to be. In fact, the Corral is still there, being set up right now for Davis Cup tennis matches. I just hope that the Saddledome stays, even after if the new ice arena is eventually built, because in another report in disbelief, Calgary is running out of sporting venues space! Isn't this incredible to you??

Yeah GM Place is always packed during the games... we've got a demand for hockey XD... such a big stereotype for Canadians XP...

I don't know about Saddledome, but GM Place and BC Place is placed in an excellent area... at the edge of downtown with lots of parking space and beside the Stadium SkyTrain Station. I don't think Calgary should replace their stadium, I think it's in an excellent area. An the shape of the stadium is pretty nice!

Kinda nothing to do with the stadium, but Costco is across from BC Place and GM Place... does any other city have their Costco in downtown?

^ that's just retarded.

You want retarded? I'll give you more retardedness. Right now, Calgary has over 100 ice arenas. That's right: over ONE HUNDRED of them. I had to count them from a local website to be sure I wasn't going insane. And, yet, City Hall here is wanting to have built at least TEN MORE of them!! That got other participants and supporters of other sports, especially the summer ones, really upset. "What are we? Chop liver?", was the overall statement from them. I don't know how many of them are in the GREATER VANCOUVER area, but give me a break, I think my city has gone way over its head about ice hockey lately.

Yeah GM Place is always packed during the games... we've got a demand for hockey XD... such a big stereotype for Canadians XP...

I don't know about Saddledome, but GM Place and BC Place is placed in an excellent area... at the edge of downtown with lots of parking space and beside the Stadium SkyTrain Station. I don't think Calgary should replace their stadium, I think it's in an excellent area. An the shape of the stadium is pretty nice!

Kinda nothing to do with the stadium, but Costco is across from BC Place and GM Place... does any other city have their Costco in downtown?

lol, well i'm sure that if we start losing the crowds won't be as hot.....just look at the crowds before the Canucks became good, about 2,000-3,000 seats were empty each game.

Regarding Costco in Vancouver, it's the first downtown Costco in the world and it is also the most and truly urban Costco.

About those arenas.....I'd say Greater Vancouver has a fraction of Calgary's hundred rinks. UBC and the City of Vancouver have about 12 rinks and the rest of the GVRD between 15-25 rinks.

Yeah we don't have enough rinks enough for vancouver for sure... Just look at the Global News report on how the minor hockey leagues need to move from UBC's rink all the way to Delta for a rink that is still expensive and nearly fully packed! More rinks needed!!!!!

I know Seattle has a Costco thats not far from Downtown... interesting why Costco chose this downtown location...

Yeah we don't have enough rinks enough for vancouver for sure... Just look at the Global News report on how the minor hockey leagues need to move from UBC's rink all the way to Delta for a rink that is still expensive and nearly fully packed! More rinks needed!!!!!

I know Seattle has a Costco thats not far from Downtown... interesting why Costco chose this downtown location...

From what I know, the downtown Costco is a big hit.....and it's the perfect place for it.

My local news had some minor hockey players resorting to, get this, doing their practices ON ICE that has a river current running below it!! This is because of their ice arena being shut down for repairs. Like, isn't that quite an intelligent move, if that ice gives way. By the way, a majority of those ice arenas are seasonal ones, but even they are getting filled, too. Never mind the population base between Calgary and Vancouver and the disparity of such numbers here.

It is... and there aren't a lot of lineups... well... compared to the chaos from the Richmond Costco

Lots of Asians in Richmond = horrible road conditions. Lots of Asians in Richmond = terrible shopping cart driving.

oh wait, i'm Asian too......but I don't live in Richmond. ;)

The Saddledome seats just as many, but the Calgary Flames organization has been reported that it is not enough. This is, to me, very strange because Calgary's population base is not huge, in comparison to Vancouver here. Seeing that post about the Pacific Coliseum there, the Calgary Flames used to have the Corral as their former ice arena, before the Saddledome came to be. In fact, the Corral is still there, being set up right now for Davis Cup tennis matches. I just hope that the Saddledome stays, even after if the new ice arena is eventually built, because in another report in disbelief, Calgary is running out of sporting venues space! Isn't this incredible to you??

Considering calgary is the same size as New York with a fraction of the population that does seem strange. Calgary really does need to cap thier urban sprawl though, it is becoming the Atlanta of Canada.