Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Citius Altius Fortius

Zimbabwe, Zambia?

History of Zimbabew resp. Zambia - I did on the German version of wikipedia a new table about the IOC-country codes - in the engl. Version is something strange:

That Rhodesia seperated in Northern and Southern Rhodesia in 1964 - is that true?

I'm not sure....

wikipedia - Liste der olympischen Länderkürzel

wikipedia - List of IOC country codes

auf Deutsch.... http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesien

Rhodesia was a British colony and was split into two countries. Zambia was independent in the 60s but Zimbabwe was part of the crown until 1980 .... and at some point they might have been unified with Malawi (Rhodesia and Nyasaland). Rhodesia was named after Cecil Rhodes, who the British members would probably know more about offhand than I would.

... then is RHO on one hand the abbrevation of Rhodesia before the seperation in North and South Rhodesia and on the other hand the abbrevation of South Rhodesia after North Rhodesia became Zambia?

I guess so, since the name "Rhodesia" was only used in Zimbabwe after Zambia was independent. It doesn't say what "Southern Rhodesia" used from 1968-1980, after RHS was used in 1964.

EDIT.

Found it. If I could only look harder, "Southern Rhodesia" became "Rhodesia" from then until 1980. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesia) so they would have used RHO from 1968-1976.

very complicated

by the way I doubt the explanation of HOL in the english version, too - I'm sure that I had seen NED before 1992

Yeah, I don't think it would have taken that long for the Netherlands to get it changed to correspond with the proper name of the country. But then again, these names are largely based on the French names for the countries, and "Hollande" might still be more in popular usage above "Pays-Bas" (Nederlanden).

Yeah, I don't think it would have taken that long for the Netherlands to get it changed to correspond with the proper name of the country. But then again, these names are largely based on the French names for the countries, and "Hollande" might still be more in popular usage above "Pays-Bas" (Nederlanden).

well - than Germany would be ALE - but I remember that West-Germany was often called RFA and East-Germany RDA...

;)

well - than Germany would be ALE - but I remember that West-Germany was often called RFA and East-Germany RDA...

;)

In English, I'm sure we always used FRG and GDR when East and West were still divided.

In English, I'm sure we always used FRG and GDR when East and West were still divided.

We did, I couldn't get them sorted until a little while ago.