Full Chicago 2016 Plan Out

Well, in terms of city-theme songs, I think Chicago not only has "My Kinda Town" but "I Just Blew in from the Windy City" (from "Calamity Jane"); and I'm sure they could appropriate "All That Jazz" from the "Chicago" musical.

SF"s "I Left My Heart" is kinda tired, even for one living in the Bay Area.

Someone needs to do an updated version of Jeanette MacDonald's "San Francisco" - maybe a rap version :P

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"The fact we are taking three cities forward reflects the optimism we've heard in our [international] polling," Ctvrtlik said. "Of 100 [iOC] voters, we had only three who said the U.S. should not submit a bid for 2016."

An interesting finding! If 97 out of 100 polled IOC members think the US should submit a bid,then the much talked-about anti-American mood in the IOC is obviously complete nonsense!!

If that isn't an invitation,I don't know what is.In my opinion,given such obvious encouragement,the USOC would be stupid not to go with one of these three cities and submit a bid for 2016!!

think about the money the IOC will make from a US games.

Someone needs to do an updated version of Jeanette MacDonald's "San Francisco" - maybe a rap version :P

Don't forget Scott Mackenzie:

"If you're going to San Francisco

Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair

If you're going to San Francisco

You're gonna meet some gentle people there

For those who come to San Francisco

Summertime will be a love-in there

In the streets of San Francisco

Gentle people with flowers in their hair

All across the nation such a strange vibration

People in motion

There's a whole generation with a new explanation

People in motion people in motion

If you come to San Francisco

Summertime will be a love-in there"

;)

Don't forget Scott Mackenzie:

"If you're going to San Francisco

If you're going to San Francisco

You're gonna meet some gentle people there

In the streets of San Francisco

Gentle people with flowers in their hair

All across the nation such a strange vibration

People in motion

There's a whole generation with a new explanation

People in motion people in motion

Summertime will be a love-in there"

;)

Nice thoughts of the past, Mainad, but those images won't win an Olympic Games. It has to be business-like and corporate.

Don't forget that catchy tune made famous in The Blues Brothers :

Come on

Oh baby dont you wanna go

Come on

Oh baby dont you wanna go

Back to that same old place

Sweet home chicago

Come on

Baby dont you wanna go

Hidehey

Baby dont you wanna go

Oh sweet home chicago

Well, one and one is two

Six and two is eight

Come on baby dont ya make me late

Hidehey

Baby dont you wanna go

Sweet home chicago

B)

Well, in terms of city-theme songs, I think Chicago not only has "My Kinda Town" but "I Just Blew in from the Windy City" (from "Calamity Jane"); and I'm sure they could appropriate "All That Jazz" from the "Chicago" musical.

SF"s "I Left My Heart" is kinda tired, even for one living in the Bay Area.

Surely you cant forget "Tonight, Tonight" by The Smashing Pumpkins.

Nice thoughts of the past, Mainad, but those images won't win an Olympic Games. It has to be business-like and corporate.

Sure,but it's not just about being businesslike and corporate is it, a prospective Olympic host has to be able to offer romance and imagination as well! Chicago would no doubt win hands down on the former but San Francisco still tends to conjure up the latter images for many people...well, for many of us non-Americans anyway!

If I were making a first-time trip to the US and had the choice of being able to visit only one of two cities: Chicago or San Francisco,I know which one I would choose! B)

Sure,but it's not just about being businesslike and corporate is it, a prospective Olympic host has to be able to offer romance and imagination as well! Chicago would no doubt win hands down on the former but San Francisco still tends to conjure up the latter images for many people...well, for many of us non-Americans anyway!

If I were making a first-time trip to the US and had the choice of being able to visit only one of two cities: Chicago or San Francisco,I know which one I would choose! B)

And nothing says romance and imagination more than Atlanta...just teasing...San Francisco is a great city. I am just of the opinion that charm is all San Francisco really has going for it in its bid and the charmingness of San Francisco might just carry it over the top. However, in nearly all other judging critieria San Francisco is trumped by either Chicago or LA.

Where did you see this? I'd be interested to see the figures you speak about.

This is a personal observation (note, I use the word opinion) based on the few clues that the USOC seems to be putting out there for public consumption, past bid successes and failures...and also based on the banter on this board coupled with what I know about the respective locations outside of their quest to land the Olympics.

I would venture to guess that not one individual posting here has any form of "inside knowledge" regarding the three US proposals other than what is reported by the media and if they do they would be doing an extreme disservice to their respective city by posting it here.

In the end my statement was based on opinion, observation,conjecture, and a limited amount of knowledge on the bid process...as I presume the majority of statements on this board are...nothing more, nothing less

This is a personal observation (note, I use the word opinion) based on the few clues that the USOC seems to be putting out there for public consumption, past bid successes and failures...and also based on the banter on this board coupled with what I know about the respective locations outside of their quest to land the Olympics.

I would venture to guess that not one individual posting here has any form of "inside knowledge" regarding the three US proposals other than what is reported by the media and if they do they would be doing an extreme disservice to their respective city by posting it here.

In the end my statement was based on opinion, observation,conjecture, and a limited amount of knowledge on the bid process...as I presume the majority of statements on this board are...nothing more, nothing less

1st off: what are you so aggressive? :blink:

2. Based on your latest answer, how can you make statements like your earlier one: "However, in nearly all other judging critieria San Francisco is trumped by either Chicago or LA." if that is all your personal opinion? Certainly not in beauty and atmosphere.

No, there's stuff there that only the USOC knows and we are not privy to. But there are also conclusions one can draw, based on extrapolating what info has been released and adding that to what has happened and are matters of historical record. There are certain repeating patterns and criteria which don't change, in this arcane subject of whittling down and picking Olympic host cities. That is how one (or I) formulates (my) prognosticating or 'educated guessing.'

1st off: what are you so aggressive? :blink:

Just my nature I guess...I a commodities trader based on the floor of the Board of Trade...so I exist in very tense environments daily...don't read too much into my posts...it is impossible to detect tone and inflection on these things...no tough feelings toward you or anyone here...just good debate about a topic that we all have an interest in...

Just my nature I guess...I a commodities trader based on the floor of the Board of Trade...so I exist in very tense environments daily...don't read too much into my posts...it is impossible to detect tone and inflection on these things...no tough feelings toward you or anyone here...just good debate about a topic that we all have an interest in...

OK. It's just that... this all still on the domestic level. Wait until it officially moves into the int'l stage -- and you won't believe the competitiveness exuded on the boards. And then all the Yanks anyway line up behind our Chosen City. So, I would reserve my spare testosterone for the int'l stage. ;)

If it's all suppose to be about "romance & imagination, beauty & atmosphere, fog, cable cars & rolling hills", then San Francisco should take the lead in hosting over any other city in the U.S., including New York & L.A.

If it's all suppose to be about "romance & imagination, beauty & atmosphere, fog, cable cars & rolling hills", then San Francisco should take the lead in hosting over any other city in the U.S., including New York & L.A.

No; it's not supposed to be about that. You've got it backwards. That is a setting that San Francisco can offer; just as Beijing will offer the Forbidden City, the tombs of the Bronze warriors, and the changing capital of the world's oldest continuing civilization. Chicago and LA have their own unique settings to offer.

The setting is always a plus. That's because there is the Cultural Olympiad that also has to be staged; plus the distaff side of the IOC members have to be distracted -- so unofficially, that has to be pretty attractive as well.

Looks like Chicago is already getting all their celebrities in the committee just a few days after the finalists selection

Already, Michael Phelps has signed up, as well as Nikki McCray of the Chicago Sky.

Michael Jordan is also being asked to join the Chicago 2016 Olympic Committee

Link:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=l...amp;id=4411027#

Looks like Chicago is already getting all their celebrities in the committee just a few days after the finalists selection

Already, Michael Phelps has signed up, as well as Nikki McCray of the Chicago Sky.

Michael Jordan is also being asked to join the Chicago 2016 Olympic Committee

Link:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=l...amp;id=4411027#

No suprise there. A Chicago Olympic Bid wthout MJ would be incomplete.

Uh. Is the Chicago City Council taking lessons from the San Francisco supervisors on how to pass stupid, meaningless laws? :angry:

Update on Chicago Stupidity

The issue here, with regards to 2016, is if no Daley, probably no Chicago 2016. The City Council passing the Living Wage Ordinance is the first time they have gone against the mayor. Kind of a big deal in the city.

Uh. Is the Chicago City Council taking lessons from the San Francisco supervisors on how to pass stupid, meaningless laws? :angry:

Update on Chicago Stupidity

The issue here, with regards to 2016, is if no Daley, probably no Chicago 2016. The City Council passing the Living Wage Ordinance is the first time they have gone against the mayor. Kind of a big deal in the city.

Oy! So even they are far from certain, huh?

When is the Chicago mayoral election? But at least Daley can succeed himself. I think GN is only good for 1 more term. But then maybe, he's hoping to step into SF-2016's CEO's shoes if that happens.

Oy! So even they are far from certain, huh?

When is the Chicago mayoral election? But at least Daley can succeed himself. I think GN is only good for 1 more term. But then maybe, he's hoping to step into SF-2016's CEO's shoes if that happens.

Richie is up for reelection I believe next year. At this point, he will probably get reelected UNLESS the Federal probe into his administration gets ugly over the next year.

The Gav can only run one more time and it makes sense that he probably hopes to take over SF 2016 when his term is over. That is, if SF can withstand the STUPID non-binding referendum in November. :angry:

Archived