San Francisco Shows It Hand

I was checking the map of the entire campus, and I have to say that it is possible to find a locaiton on campus for a velodrome. The structure wouldn't be close to the "heart of campus" (Sproul/Memorial Glade), but it would be in University owned land to the east of campus. Although the terrain seems hilly, it wouldn't surprise me if there are semi flat areas in that side of campus.

Perhaps the velodrome could be built on top of the hills that overlook Memorial Stadium, but that could be too close to the lab.

I think it's a nice idea to have a new one on the campus; but the I think the Hellyer Velodrome in San Jose will suffice for the 2016 needs. UC-Berkely should now resolve the Memorial Stadium issue so that SF2016 can count on it for certain.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I am going to start a new game. It's called "Where's Gavin?" 533.gif

Los Angeles' mayor is heading to Bejing to talk with the planners there as well as essentially doing publicity tours of sort to promote Los Angeles' bid. Chicago's mayor is heading for Athens this weekend to meet with 2004 officials, has already met with China's NOC and of course recently lobbied congress for 2016.

So where's Gavin? Have heard zilch about SF's bid of late and nothing of Newsome going on the fact finding tours that the other two mayors have. San Francisco also still hasn't given the reports yet to my knowledge as to where the location of the proposed venues will be (unless they are just going to use Baron's list which looks good to me!

So c'mon Gav - I wouldn't mind at all for San Francisco to win the right to 2016. I hope, however, that we are not resting on out laurels thinking they are a sure shot after having bid for the right to 2012. See Athens, 1996 and Paris, 2012 as to why this strategy often backfires. <_<

Got word that SF2016 has, for now, declined to publicly reveal its list until most of the major venues have given a rather committed 'yes.' They are still working on that. So until that time, they would rather keep their cards close to their vest -- and I'm sure the USOC understands this. (My source tells me I got '6 right' from the original list -- but even that got considerable tweaking after we eliminated quite a bit.)

@LA84 - yes, Kat the Realtrix, will be there! :)

I think I am going to start a new game. It's called "Where's Gavin?" 533.gif

Los Angeles' mayor is heading to Bejing to talk with the planners there as well as essentially doing publicity tours of sort to promote Los Angeles' bid. Chicago's mayor is heading for Athens this weekend to meet with 2004 officials, has already met with China's NOC and of course recently lobbied congress for 2016.

So where's Gavin? Have heard zilch about SF's bid of late and nothing of Newsome going on the fact finding tours that the other two mayors have. San Francisco also still hasn't given the reports yet to my knowledge as to where the location of the proposed venues will be (unless they are just going to use Baron's list which looks good to me!

So c'mon Gav - I wouldn't mind at all for San Francisco to win the right to 2016. I hope, however, that we are not resting on out laurels thinking they are a sure shot after having bid for the right to 2012. See Athens, 1996 and Paris, 2012 as to why this strategy often backfires. <_<

Gavin's been busy changing his hairstyle.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...1TU1.DTL&hw

I think it's a little premature still. Or the committee is being very secretive and playing their cards close to the vest.

I think you'd see Gavin out and about once everything is solidified.

Gavin's been busy changing his hairstyle.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...1TU1.DTL&hw

:o:D:P

OMG. He looks like he's 18 without all the gel!

Still verrryyyyy attractive, however.

The new 'do may be San Francisco's secret weapon to winning '16!

dd_gavin_bw.jpg

:o:D:P

OMG. He looks like he's 18 without all the gel!

Still verrryyyyy attractive, however.

The new 'do may be San Francisco's secret weapon to winning '16!

dd_gavin_bw.jpg

Newsome has always struck me as a closet case.

ejay, every other male on the planet is a 'closet' case on your gaydar scale. ;)

Not true; some guys are definitely straight. ;)

Archived