Dual Venture Bids

San Degio - TJ , might be the first to ever think of this, two cities: one Olympics. But ever since then rumors have been circulating all over the internet. (WIKIPEDIA mainly...sometime good, but sometime horribly off.)

First of all, how many of these phantom-bids are actually real places considering a dual-venture, or bi-national bid?

(wiki reports Lake Placid and Montreal... 2 hours away and 111 miles apart. I know there has to some travel to the slopes and all, but that's a little exessive. Kansas City and Denver should do a joint one for 2048...(oh I should put that on Wiki...))

Secondly, would those even work? What is the likely-hood of that ever getting off the ground or even landing the O?

(Understand there is a difference between the main city, and suburbs hosting an event, you get the idea.)

Who knows, maybe the failed NYC bid came down to it not linking with all the cities on the Eastern Sea Board....PEACE!

Well technically Helsinki's 2006 bid could be seen as a dual city bid - all ice and some snow wevents were planned for Helsinki, though the downhill, bobsleigh etc were planned fro Lillehammer, Norway - 900kms away. However the bid was called a Helsinki bid.

Klagenfurt had sites across three countries in their 2006 bid as well - encompassing sites in Austria, Italy and Slovenia.

Salzburg 2010 and 2014 features a German site along with the Austrian ones.

So really, Helsinki 2006 was the frontrunner.

San Degio - TJ , might be the first to ever think of this, two cities: one Olympics. But ever since then rumors have been circulating all over the internet. (WIKIPEDIA mainly...sometime good, but sometime horribly off.)

First of all, how many of these phantom-bids are actually real places considering a dual-venture, or bi-national bid?

(wiki reports Lake Placid and Montreal... 2 hours away and 111 miles apart. I know there has to some travel to the slopes and all, but that's a little exessive. Kansas City and Denver should do a joint one for 2048...(oh I should put that on Wiki...))

Secondly, would those even work? What is the likely-hood of that ever getting off the ground or even landing the O?

(Understand there is a difference between the main city, and suburbs hosting an event, you get the idea.)

Who knows, maybe the failed NYC bid came down to it not linking with all the cities on the Eastern Sea Board....PEACE!

All I have to say about the Lake Placid-Montreal WOG is bullshit, it will never happen. Why would the USA or Canada want to share a Olympic games for? Both countries can handle it on their own.

All I have to say about the Lake Placid-Montreal WOG is bullshit, it will never happen. Why would the USA or Canada want to share a Olympic games for? Both countries can handle it on their own.

any city thinking about running should be able to suport the bid by themselves... not splitting the bid...

(putting events in the closets mountians or river not really splitting... I'm referring to the complete from the get-go like SD-TJ (even though they are close in prox. they are different countries, and cities...blah blah...) (I'm not talking like Minn-St. Paul or Salt Lake-Park City, or fictionally Denver- Breckinridge or the Melbourne-Stoklhom esquestrian events....O, I hope they don't use those examples as a president for futher dual cities bids. I just don't see the IOC awarding it to a town that CANNOT manage it on their own. i'm ranting, i know ya'll understand what I'm getting at.)

any city thinking about running should be able to suport the bid by themselves... not splitting the bid...

(putting events in the closets mountians or river not really splitting... I'm referring to the complete from the get-go like SD-TJ (even though they are close in prox. they are different countries, and cities...blah blah...) (I'm not talking like Minn-St. Paul or Salt Lake-Park City, or fictionally Denver- Breckinridge or the Melbourne-Stoklhom esquestrian events....O, I hope they don't use those examples as a president for futher dual cities bids. I just don't see the IOC awarding it to a town that CANNOT manage it on their own. i'm ranting, i know ya'll understand what I'm getting at.) :)

I think the main idea of dual-city bids is that it helps spread the cost around.

At any rate, I think the dual-nature of the DC-Baltimore bid was a huge factor for 2012. In fact, because Baltimore was host to some events and had its name on the bid, the County of Fairfax, site of the aquatics center, also wanted its name on the bid.

Honestly, I think that they should have just called the DC bid and just left the other names off, no matter how many events there were in the other cities.

Regardless of whether there's another name on the logo, the city that hosts whatever event will still get recognition.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you, barrack. For exemple, Albertville hosted only the opening and clossing seremonies, short track speed skating, long track speed skating and figure skating, and yet the games where caled "Albertville 1992".

Archived