Zidane's Red Card

Trieste Fin

That's the headline from La Provence, the Marseille newspaper from Zidane's hometown. Translated it means "sad end".

Trieste Fin

Indeed it was to an incredible career that was bigger than Michel Platini's. Zidane's been a class act all throughout his soccer career, which makes him so beloved worldwide. Yes, he stomped on a Saudi player early in the France 98 tournament and also headbutted a SV Hamburg player while at Juventus. But he has no rep until now. He wasn't much of a troublemaker. He was seen as God to many of his fans and players like Thierry Henry.

I bet you that racist Jean-Marie Le Pen and others of his ilk (Sarko too?) will use this incident to basically say that France can't win the World Cup (or anything else) with all of those immigrants and non-whites on the roster because they don't know how to act and are unrepresenting of French society with their Neanderthal views about former French colonies and Islam. I just hope there's no rioting in French cities right now, though I wouldn't be surprised.

On top of that, if it turns out that Matterazzi did utter racist garbage to Zidane after twisting his nipple, his pathetic ass should get red carded too. Then again, he may deserve the headbutt, and Zidane could use it as an anti-racist Exhibit A like use it in a PSA poster or T-shirt. Better yet, strip the Azzurri of their undeserved World Cup title and do the damn game over and/or forfeit their results. THAT will send a very strong message about racism in sports. We all know that Italy has some of the most racist--and fascist--soccer fans around that is tolerated there, and as Faster notes, many Italian players are known racist, likely even on the squad. ZZ knows about this too well of course in his Torino days. But it seems his legacy will be tarnished significantly but not too much. He may not end up in the Mount Rushmore of soccer with Pele, Beckenbauer, and Maradona as a soccer god. I very much want to remember him for the two headers at the Stade De France in St. Denis against Brazil in the 1998 Final. The red card was justified but no doubt it will go down as one of the most unforgettable moments in World Cup history. His place in soccer lore is still secure.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zidane's behavior is unacceptable. He can't do something like that... not only in a World Cup final. Any player can't do that in any football match (well, Figo did the same thing in PORvs.NED but nothing happened). But, Materazzi if he said something like that sould be punished too. I can't believe that after he said something like what the press is saying, when one of the slogans of the cup is "End to racism", could touch the FIFA Trophy. He deserved the red card too or a large ban for playing international matches. Italy won the cup (besides I believe France played better last match) and I don't think the whole team must be punished because of the unacceptable behavior of Materazzi.

About the thing of the fourth referee... why is the 4th referee with a tv if it isn't for help the referee in that cases? Anyway... how can be Luis Medina Cantalejo the fourth referee after they gave a fake penalty to Italy in the last minute of the match against Australia!?!?!?!

Perhaps the closest inexplicably dumb in international sports play to Zidane's headbutt would be IMO Mike Tyson turning Evander "the Real Deal" Holyfield into the "Real Meal" Holyfield. :P

I just lost my appetite for a snack. :blink:

Zinedine Zidane was one of the best players in the wolrd, a great legend, the master and capitain of France (his ORIGINAL country) and a symbol for France and for The Real Madrid.

There could be a million ways of finish your carrer but this incident didnt really ruins his carrer and his fame.

Zizou was a great soccer player and an exelent man, yesterday is nothing compare of what he did in his carrer.

Baron you dont even watch regulary soccer, you dont even have an ideaof figures and facts.

Zinedine Zidane was one of the best players in the wolrd, a great legend, the master and capitain of France (his ORIGINAL country) and a symbol for France and for The Real Madrid.

There could be a million ways of finish your carrer but this incident didnt really ruins his carrer and his fame.

Zizou was a great soccer player and an exelent man, yesterday is nothing compare of what he did in his carrer.

Baron you dont even watch regulary soccer, you dont even have an ideaof figures and facts.

I do repeat myself:

he is/was really an excellent football player

but from yesterday night on

i hope i'll never hear again someone calling him a champion.

SO what? Do I have to clock in the # of hours to watch soccer so I can have an opinion? :P

I am sorry you are blinded by 'greatness' when his behaviour, broadcast around the world, was absolutely shameful. He's an athlete; big deal!! It's not like he was a brain surgeon or discovered the cure to AIDS that would mitigate the situation.

Really, Alexjc, you should get your priorities in order. No class is no class!

SO what? Do I have to clock in the # of hours to watch soccer so I can have an opinion? :P

I am sorry you are blinded by 'greatness' when his behaviour, broadcast around the world, was absolutely shameful. He's an athlete; big deal!! It's not like he was a brain surgeon or discovered the cure to AIDS that would mitigate the situation.

Really, Alexjc, you should get your priorities in order. No class is no class!

Unfortunately baron u're argueing with a brick wall. Its really not worth it.

Now Materazzi claims that he never has called Zidane a "terrorist" -- with a very interesting justification:

"It is absolutely not true, I did not call him a terrorist. I'm ignorant. I don't even know what the word means," the Italian news agency Ansa quoted Materazzi as saying after the Italian team returned to Rome.

"The whole world saw what happened on live TV," he added.

(Source: http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticl...E-MATERAZZI.xml)

Nice version. But you can't seriously tell anybody that in the times of September 11, Madrid, London and Iraqi bombs you haven't got any impression what the word "terrorist" means. The whole story starts to become a farce.

Vive le football Français

Allez Zinedine Zidane

Zinedine Zidane est un grand footballer, champion de la tasse du monde, les championnats européens, les champions ligue et des millions de coeurs.

La qualité de son art de l'auto-portrait est déterminée par la somme de toutes les actions, pas simplement une.

@Faster:

Oh, could you please stop those provocations? I don't think that this is very helpful.

Provocation, I prefer to refer to it as expressing an opinion based on fair more than an inner need to vilify someone.

I am tired of people dragging Zidane’s name through the mud based on this one incident. Zidane acted badly yes, but should one person be judged on one incident. Isn’t the sum of all aspects to a person’s life more important than one piece of the equation? Zinedine Zidane is a good teammate (evident by the willingness of many of his teammates to come out in support and in solidarity with their captain), a great player, a good father, husband and son, a good citizen of France and of the world. Zidane came from the same slums and rough neighborhoods of France that recently rioted against their treatment in France. Unlike them, Zidane found a non-violent, nor criminal way to get himself and his family out of the lower classes of French society into a respected man, an admired man and a much loved man by all that have come into contact with him. He is a proud person, a great symbol of to France, along with many of his teammates, past and present, to French society that immigrants and sons and daughters of immigrants can be important parts of French society.

Zidane, in the heat of a tense game, made a poor decision to react to Materazzi’s taunts, but this is one footnote in the thread that is Zidane’s life. All people make poor decisions in extreme circumstances, hell there are a lot that people that make poor decisions in the best of circumstances. Zidane acting badly, but all people do, all people make mistakes and all people deserve a second chance. (insert cliché here) To error is human, to forgive is divine.

Zidane acting badly, but all people do, all people make mistakes and all people deserve a second chance. (insert cliché here) To error is human, to forgive is divine.

Does that include Wayne Rooney?? :rolleyes:

FIFA must act on racism

Football365 Premium

Monday, 10 July 2006

"FIFA strip Italy of their 2006 World Cup victory!"

That is the headline I would like to see emanate around the whole world in coming days in light of revelations of what Marco Materazzi is have to of said to Zinedine Zidane, which caused the French skipper to go ballistic resulting in his shameful headbutt and redcard.

Zidane's agent Alain Migliaccio told Agence France-Presse that Materazzi labelled Zidane "a son of a dirty Arab terrorist whore".

Zidane has ended his career in disgrace, but what will FIFA do about Materazzi?

FIFA President Sepp Blatter, who was notably absent from Italy's after-match presentation has for years campaigned against racism in football.

The FIFA President recently described racism as “a Devil”, underlining football’s “societal responsibility. Racism is society’s problem, and not a problem typical of football,” Blatter declared. “But we must ensure our sport isn’t destroyed by racism from within. The foundation is respect for every participant.”

Well Mr. Blatter it's time for you to stand up and show that you are a man of action not just words.

Anti-racism group, Kick It Out, released a statement today calling for the French Federation to make a formal complaint to FIFA. "If this allegation is proven to be true then Materazzi and the Italian Federation should face severe sanctions for such a vicious and hateful comment," said a spokesman.

"FIFA and ourselves, as part of the Football Against Racism in Europe network, have worked hard to ensure that the platform of the World Cup was used to promote a message against this type of behaviour.

"We would urge the French Federation to make a formal complaint if this allegation is true, as, by ignoring it, they would be accepting it as being part of the game."

At 33, banning Materazzi for any period of time, would be seen as a pointless exercise as he most likely will happily retire from football with a World Cup medal hanging around his neck.

While we know that FIFA would never have the courage to strip Italy of their 2006 World Cup victory, even though that would be the most notable and brutal declaration against racism FIFA could ever make and all countries around the world would have to stand up and take notice.

FIFA however should immediately ban Italy from all international competition up to and including the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Italian football at a domestic level is rife with racism and only a ban of a significant magnitude could hope of turning the tide against racism.

The ball is in your court Mr. Blatter? Are you for or against racism?

And yet another story

zz2ac.jpg

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/1,,2006310771,00.html

Sick taunt that riled ZZ

ZINEDINE Zidane headbutted an Italian in the World Cup Final over a vile slur on his ill mother Malika, it was claimed last night.

A lip-reader told The Sun that Marco Materazzi called Zidane a “son of a terrorist whore” before the French Algerian was sent off in Sunday’s explosive match.

It came as Zidane was named the World Cup player of the tournament yesterday, despite his red-card shame.

A French Football Federation source said: “If you insult Zidane’s mother you are asking for trouble. Combine such words with a reference to terrorism, which French Algerians are very sensitive about, and a violent reaction might appear inevitable.”

Malika was taken ill on Sunday and admitted to hospital.

Alex Hayes, London correspondent for French sports newspaper L’Equipe, said: “On that day, with his mother being unwell, it wasn’t a clever thing, or the right thing to say.” The clash that ended Zidane’s glittering career in disgrace came after Materazzi tweaked his NIPPLE.

Top lip-reader Marianne Frere revealed the Italian told Zidane — who understands the language after playing for Juventus — a high ball was “not for feccia like you”.

Feccia is an Italian insult meaning scum or s**t.

Zidane smiled at Materazzi as he walked away. But there was another exchange, Zidane turned and floored him with a butt to the chest. The lip-reader claimed the Italian had said: “We all know you are the son of a terrorist whore.”

He added: “Viffanculo”. (f*** off). A source close to the Italian squad claimed that after twisting Zidane’s nipple, Materazzi asked him: “What, don’t you like it?” The French captain replied: “A bit too hard to turn me on.”

But Materazzi shouted: “Well, I did it that way because I know that’s how your mother likes it.”

Italy won 5-3 on penalties, with Zidane missing the shootout in his final match before retirement.

Midfielder Zidane is French-born but fiercely proud of his roots in Algeria, a former French colony.

Big question now is how FIFA is going to handle the aftermath?

Archived