Zidane's Red Card

I was just reading an interesting point about Zidane's brain explosion, head butt and red card send off.

Okay, I think we can all agree that it was a stupid, stupid act. I'm sure he was provoked (the suggestions were that he was reacting to being told "Putana tua sorella"), but even so, he's a professional sportsman, he should have learned to deal with sledging way back at school.

And there's no doubt that the send-off was justified. But was it legal?

The question is _ the incident didn't seem to have been seen by the referee or linesmen. Instead it was relayed through the fourth and fifth officials, who had access to the TV replays of the incident. If it was, though, this would have been contrary to FIFA rules, which explicitly state that TV images cannot be used for refereering decisions.

Here's the story:

By Mitch Phillips

BERLIN, July 9 Reuters - The most memorable moment of the World Cup final, Zinedine Zidane's butt to the chest of Italian defender Marco Materazzi, was rightly punished by a red card even though the officials did not appear to see it happen.

The incident in the second period of extra time brought a premature end to the great midfielder's career and he can have no complaints about the justice of it.

He might, however, have cause to question its legality as it is against FIFA rules for TV pictures to be used as a basis for a refereeing decision.

Zidane had been an ever-increasing influence in the match, in which he opened the scoring with a penalty in the seventh minute and almost won with a wonderful header in the 104th only to be denied by Gianluigi Buffon.

Then, after a French attack broke down early in the second period Zidane trotted back from the Italian area exchanging comments with Materazzi.

Something the Italian said obviously hit a raw nerve as Zidane stopped, walked back towards him and landed a fierce butt on his chest.

Materazzi collapsed, Zidane continued on his way and the game continued. It had not gone completely unseen, however as several Italian players, with Buffon the most vociferous, approached the nearest linesman demanding action.

Replays were shown on the hundreds of televisions in the media seats, raising an audible gasp.

As the mayhem continued on the pitch Argentine referee Horacio Elizondo consulted his linesmen and, so it was later discovered, the fourth and fifth officials, who have access to TV but may have seen the incident live.

The result was the red card and Zidane, who was also sent off for stamping during the 1998 World Cup, walked away from football for ever.

Both coaches confirmed that the decision had been taken by the off-pitch officials, both Spaniards, but each coach took a different view on what that meant.

``It was not Materazzi who got the attention of the referee, it was the fourth and fifth officials who pointed out what happened,'' said Italy's Marcello Lippi.

``The French spectators didn't know what happened, they'll know when they read the newspapers tomorrow.''

France's Raymond Domenech said: ``The referee saw nothing, the assistant referee saw nothing and then we have the fourth official saying to the referee what happened.

``We have video in football and then the fourth official tips off the referee.''

France striker Thierry Henry said: ``If they want to use video evidence it's not for one incident, they should use it for everybody and they should look at Materazzi too.''

Nobody in the French camp was saying what passed between the two players but David Trezeguet said: ``Zidane can leave here with his head held high. There is more than football in life.''

Materazzi refused to talk about the incident.

REUTERS

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder if we will ever know what was really said?

Has already been talk today if it was indeed a verbal racial attack on Zidane, FIFA should then ban Italy from the 2010 World Cup as the ultimate penalty showing rascism is not tolerated in soccer

Wonder if we will ever know what was really said?

Has already been talk today if it was indeed a verbal racial attack on Zidane, FIFA should then ban Italy from the 2010 World Cup as the ultimate penalty showing rascism is not tolerated in soccer

Wait, wait -- there have to come much worse incidents before a whole team is banned from the next World Cup. Maybe you can draw conclusions against Materazzi personally (if we should get safe proof for what he said to Zidane) but not against the team as whole.

Anything Materazzi maybe said, Zidane's act was really coward and evil! look at his eyes!!!

from now on i don't want to hear anybody saying he's a champion...he's an excellent player...a champion donnot do such horrible (and dangerous) things!

finalezidane014uy.jpg

finalezidane029fl.jpg

Anything Materazzi maybe said, Zidane's act was really coward and evil! look at his eyes!!!

from now on i don't want to hear anybody saying he's a champion...he's an excellent player...a champion donnot do such horrible (and dangerous) things!

Has anyone said that Zidane's act was OK or that he showed a champion-like behaviour with that?

Just like you, I condemn this act -- it was absolutely stupid for Zidane to let himself go that way. But nevertheless, you'll certainly understand that we like to know what Materazzi said to him. Maybe that wasn't champion-like either...

Difficult one, but if Zidane or the French appeal against the decision they'll lose a lot of respect. Whether the red card was legal or not, had Zidane not acted like a neanderthal there would be nothing for the fourth official to have seen. Blame the rules, blame the ref, blame the fourth official, blame Materazzi if you like; but don't forget who's ultimately to blame. This debate over red card "legality" shouldn't be taking place if every player had acted as though they were in a world cup final representing their nation. Most did, but unfortunately at least two did not.

The officials have a hard enough job as it is, and maybe the time is now right to draw a line under yesterday's events and have a proper debate about what exactly is expected of the officials, and more urgently, the players. Diving, rolling around on the floor, trying to get opposition players sent off, violent conduct, shirt pulling and surrounding the referee after a contraversial descision all need to be dealt with. How can referees be expected to make sound judgements when the players act like that?

Maybe there is a place after all for video evidence during games. I'm not sure I'd like to see it used for deciding free kicks, penalties etc. (I don't mind contraversial penalty decisions every now and again, it's all part of the game) but if the fourth official sees a Zidane-like-incident while the ref is dealing with what is important (i.e. the football) then he should be allowed to let the ref know.

That is what SBS TV Australia said just now (quoting reports from what Makelele told French TV and British newspaper 'The Guardian')

Materazzi said Zidane in Italian: 'Your daughter is a mother-fucker'

Can I also give a guess what Materazzi said to Zidane?

Sorry, but could we wait for an acknowledged and official version (if there will be one, at all) of Materazzi's statement? I don't like at all those speculations of which I don't exactly know whether they are just speculations or plain hoaxes.

You have to admire Zizou for not resorting to rugby tactics and punching Materazzi's head in or delivering an undignified Cantona kungfu kick.

Instead he kept his form and delivered a beautiful header. It was forceful and spiked - had he been aiming for the ball in the penalty area Buffon would have had no chance. All delivered with a minimum of fuss and no verbal abuse of Materazzi or putting the boot in when he was down - which i thought was very civilised.

As for Materazzi - I think what he said will become public knowledge in the next few days and if there was a racist element - then FIFA will have no option but to red card him as well.

You have to admire Zizou for not resorting to rugby tactics and punching Materazzi's head in or delivering an undignified Cantona kungfu kick.

OK, but he resorted to wrestling tactics instead. :rolleyes:

Instead he kept his form and delivered a beautiful header. It was forceful and spiked - had he been aiming for the ball in the penalty area Buffon would have had no chance. All delivered with a minimum of fuss and no verbal abuse of Materazzi or putting the boot in when he was down - which i thought was very civilised.
You sound like you're praising this guy's actions. Beautiful header? It was one of the ugliest actions I've ever seen a soccer legend take.
As for Materazzi - I think what he said will become public knowledge in the next few days and if there was a racist element - then FIFA will have no option but to red card him as well.

Despite whatever Materazzi said, Zidane should never have headbutted him. It's the final of your last World Cup, and you let not just your country, but the whole world down. It's a shame that he'll be remembered this way.

Self-righteousness at its finest. Remember a few things, the Italian league is ripe with disgusting and tolerated racist behaviour, many Italian players are known to be openly racist, Zidane had to deal with this racism while playing in Torino and he was the target of it at times.

Things happen in the heat of a game, there are tonnes of incidences like this in all sports, all over the world. Come on, in ice hockey fighting is allowed, not to mention there has been a few locker room brawls at this world cup and many at previous ones. So should Zidane have walked away and told the media what was said instead of headbutting him, yes, but should Zidane's entire career and legacy be tarnished by this one incident, no, (mind you there has been some stomping and headbutting before), i personally think Rooney's groan stomp is far worse than this.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_...-name_page.html

DID 'TERRORIST' JIBE MAKE ZZ BLOW HIS TOP

FRANCE captain Zinedine Zidane was goaded into head butting Italian defender Marco Materazzi after being called an "Arab terrorist" according to reports today.

Zidane was today named the World Cup's best player, despite being sent off for the dramatic and violent incident in the closinjg stages of last night's final.

And he returned home to France to a heroes welcome from French President Jacques Chirac along with his fellow beaten finalists.

Earlier, the disgraced 34-year-old scooped the Golden Ball award after receiving 2012 points in the vote by journalists at half-time during Sunday's match.

The midfield star beat Italian duo Fabio Cannavaro (1977 points) and Andrea Pirlo (715 points) in the poll.

But is what made Zidane lose his temper in such explosive fashion which most fans want to know.

Materazzi was clearly seen twisting the Frenchman's nipple in the run-up to the incident and while the Italian refused to comment after the match there has been speculation in French newspaper L'Equipe that he called the French-Algerian Zidane "a terrorist." Zidane's furious French team-mate William Gallas raged at Materazzi: "When I see this, I want to smash his face. Sometimes you have players who are clever and say something to you and you are very angry and want to kill that player."

However, Zidane's fellow former World Cup winner Frank Leboeuf can't explain what made the France captain commit his shameful headbutt and told BBC Radio 5 Live:

"I think Materazzi said something very bad to him for him to react like that. "But it doesn't matter what he said - you cannot agree with what he did. I feel very ashamed - because it is not the kind of thing that this team does."

Meanwhile, Germany striker Miroslav Klose has picked up the Golden Shoe award for being the tournament's leading scorer.

Italy's Gianluigi Buffon has received the Lev Yashin award after being voted the competition's top keeper.

Also a 'translation' of what a lipreader reckons (authenticity unknown) ....
Zidane: - "Ordinanza de tirare il costume!!" (stop pulling my shirt!!)

Materazzi: - "Taciti, toc de merda, hai solamente cio che merite..." (Shut-up piece of ****, you are getting only what you deserve...)

Zidane: - "si e cio..." (yeah... right...)

Zidane keeps walking away.

Materazzi: "meritate tutti ciò, voi gli cazzo di cane di musulmani, sporchi terroristici" (that's what you all deserve, you dog **** muslim, bloody terrorists)

Zidane headbutts Materazzi.

Whatever was said, was ONLY verbal. Y cud ZZ not have replied verbally in return? What was he thinking? His physical response is ABSOLUTELY inexcusable.

Look, his abominable behavior cost his team & adopted country the victory; it absolutely brought shame to his career. And by all means, that's what the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th officials are there for -- since FIFA sticks to these 12th century rules of no decisions based on Replays?!?

I'm surprised they even gave him whatever award it was! My mind just tuned out the name of the award when I heard the news on the radio. As for Matterazi, perhaps he would've learned his lesson too. Of course, we'll never know what was actually said because it's all going to be: he said/no, I didn't say that...

I think after this, they should ban Football; and order everybody to go into rhythmic gymnastics. It is just soooooooooo beautiful!!

Whatever was said, was ONLY verbal. Y cud ZZ not have replied verbally in return? What was he thinking? His physical response is ABSOLUTELY inexcusable.

Look, his abominable behavior cost his team & adopted country the victory; it absolutely brought shame to his career. And by all means, that's what the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th officials are there for -- since FIFA sticks to these 12th century rules of no decisions based on Replays?!?

I'm surprised they even gave him whatever award it was! My mind just tuned out the name of the award when I heard the news on the radio. As for Matterazi, perhaps he would've learned his lesson too. Of course, we'll never know what was actually said because it's all going to be: he said/no, I didn't say that...

I think after this, they should ban Football; and order everybody to go into rhythmic gymnastics. It is just soooooooooo beautiful!!

Baron, France isn't Zinedane Zidane's adopted country, its his country, he was born in Marseille

The 4th official is there in case of injury to the referee and the 5th official is there in case of injury to one of the linesmen

FIFA have said the fourth official saw the incident himself, without need to resort to video evidence, so who knows? What is for sure is that it was an unbelievable and very sad end to the career of the finest footballer I have ever seen.

I'm not going to say anything more about the Rooney incident except that Faster must be mad if he really thinks Rooney's one was worse than this.

Baron, France isn't Zinedane Zidane's adopted country, its his country, he was born in Marseille

The 4th official is there in case of injury to the referee and the 5th official is there in case of injury to one of the linesmen

OK, I sit corrected. I thought ZZ was originally ALgerian, and adopted France as a young one.

OK, I sit corrected. I thought ZZ was originally ALgerian, and adopted France as a young one.

His parents are from a small Berber tribe in Northern Algeria, they moved to France before Algeria became independent from France and had Zinedine Zidane. I remember reading something about his parents having to fight with the local authorities about his name because of the French naming laws that state that one of the two names must be the name of a saint.

Archived