Rugby World Cup France 2007

After their AVERAGE performances lately, Third or Forth...As I said, at this point in time. They could even be Knocked out by Ireland if that country really wants it!

although they may have been average performances we have not lost this season so who do you think will win then?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
although they may have been average performances we have not lost this season so who do you think will win then?

France!

France!

really! Well they will have home ground advantage which counts for a lot but i do think at te moment new zealand will win the cup i havent seen france play lately so i dont no what their form is like

• 3 weeks later...

I am so happy, Canada qualified for the WC by thumping the USA, it is great. Even though we will get thumped left, right and centre by Australia and Fiji, its still sweet that Canada qualified, the more we get into major tournaments, the more Canadian Rugby can improve.

CBC

France are the best team in the northern hemisphere at the moment, probably followed by Ireland. If Wales don't have their first team out, they have problems. England are in transition, Scotland are improving and Italy have a long way to go.

At this moment, I would predict a France v New Zealand final next year, with the All Blacks just coming out on top.

France are the best team in the northern hemisphere at the moment, probably followed by Ireland. If Wales don't have their first team out, they have problems. England are in transition, Scotland are improving and Italy have a long way to go.

At this moment, I would predict a France v New Zealand final next year, with the All Blacks just coming out on top.

yea i would agree with that i do think new zealand will edge out whoever they p;lay in the final

At the moment, at least. England should have beaten New Zealand at Twickenham last autumn. I think several of the big nations will also significantly improve in the run-up to next autumn. New Zealand are strong favourites at the moment, but they've been strong favourites before and failed.

At the moment, at least. England should have beaten New Zealand at Twickenham last autumn. I think several of the big nations will also significantly improve in the run-up to next autumn. New Zealand are strong favourites at the moment, but they've been strong favourites before and failed.

You dont need to remind us, in nz when it comes to the world cup, the tag 'favourites' bears no meaning anymore.

But Graham Henry looks as though he is trying to make New Zealand the best prepared squad they've had for next year.

yes graham henry is doing a great job so far

But Graham Henry looks as though he is trying to make New Zealand the best prepared squad they've had for next year.

Of course. thats what you do for world cup, you put together the best possible team you can and so will every other union that will be in france next year. No ones knows which team will pull through on the day. Being told by the media (and ironically its on the nz media) that the AB7s are the #! favorites going into france means nothing to me. Put it this way im going to be fuckin on the end of my set everytime NZ takes the pitch in france.

But the thing that Henry appears to be doing that I can't think of any other coach before him doing, with the possible exception of Woodward for England and he certainly didn't take it to this degree, is to try to create two separate XVs both capable of being the best in the world. If anything is going to make the difference between the All Blacks and the rest next year, ensuring they have such strength in depth could well be it.

But the thing that Henry appears to be doing that I can't think of any other coach before him doing, with the possible exception of Woodward for England and he certainly didn't take it to this degree, is to try to create two separate XVs both capable of being the best in the world. If anything is going to make the difference between the All Blacks and the rest next year, ensuring they have such strength in depth could well be it.

i agree the depth that new zealand rughy has is great an i think that will be the difference between 2003 and 2007!

• 1 month later...

Well, the USA have made it through to France:

NEW YORK, Oct 8 Reuters - The United States qualified for next year's rugby World Cup in France after crushing Uruguay 33-7 in the second match of their qualifying series at Stanford University.

Two tries each for Paul Emerick and Vaha Eskia, and 13 points from the boot of skipper Mike Hercus helped the United States to a comfortable win today to follow their 42-13 victory in the first leg in Montevideo on October 1.

Juan Menchaca scored the only points for the South Americans when he converted his own try as they briefly threatened by recovering to a 10-7 deficit.

``We qualified for the World Cup, so I am happy about that,'' said fly-half Hercus, who plays club rugby for Cardiff.

``I thought we could have scored a lot more points. We just didn't adjust to the referee's calls like we should have. But that is something that will come with time,'' he told USA Rugby's official Web site.

The Americans now enter Pool A of the competition in France next year alongside reigning champions England, South Africa, Samoa and another qualifier to be decided.

REUTERS

And in other results:

Europe zone Pool A

At L'Aquila, Italy

Italy 83 Portugal 0

At Bucharest

Romania 20 Georgia 8

African zone

At Casablanca

Morocco 23 Ivory Coast 7

Too bad that rugby has no tradition here in Germany -- otherwise, I'd probably be "infected", too and had a big sports event I could look forward to in 2007. But, sadly, the rugby "virus" hasn't caught me yet...

Too bad that rugby has no tradition here in Germany -- otherwise, I'd probably be "infected", too and had a big sports event I could look forward to in 2007. But, sadly, the rugby "virus" hasn't caught me yet...

The German rugby team is not thaaaaaaaaat bad. Perhaps the 8th or 9th best team in Europe. But as far as i know, there are no E-CHs and it is very difficult to qualify for the World Cup as long as there is no one single British team, instead of the English, Scottish and Welsh teams.

The German rugby team is not thaaaaaaaaat bad. Perhaps the 8th or 9th best team in Europe.

Yes -- but are they ever mentioned in the main sports media (Sportschau, Aktuelles Sportstudio etc.)? I can't remember ever having seen reports about that team.

Yes -- but are they ever mentioned in the main sports media (Sportschau, Aktuelles Sportstudio etc.)? I can't remember ever having seen reports about that team.

No and you are absolutely right. But that will change a little bit, when Rugby becomes a part of the Olympic program.

oh i know exactly what you mean, its just how i feel about soccer.

The German rugby team is not thaaaaaaaaat bad. Perhaps the 8th or 9th best team in Europe. But as far as i know, there are no E-CHs and it is very difficult to qualify for the World Cup as long as there is no one single British team, instead of the English, Scottish and Welsh teams.

Well the problem is that in rugby union there is a massive gulf in the development, support and interest in the sport between unions like new zealand, australia, france, england, south africa etc. and 3rd tier team like germany. There just isnt the interest in the sport, which is sad becasue it is an amazing phyical sport which im sure alot of people would love to be involed in if they had more resourses.

Well the problem is that in rugby union there is a massive gulf in the development, support and interest in the sport between unions like new zealand, australia, france, england, south africa etc. and 3rd tier team like germany. There just isnt the interest in the sport, which is sad becasue it is an amazing phyical sport which im sure alot of people would love to be involed in if they had more resourses.

A lot of that problem is self-inflected. Its still the good old boys club and they do nothing to help out other unions that are up and coming.

But, sadly, the rugby "virus" hasn't caught me yet...

same for me.. it's enough hard for me to follow the 6 nations.. just imagine the world cup!

you know we (europeans) only trust in Soccer.. the rest doesn't count! ;)

we (europeans) only trust in Soccer.. the rest doesn't count! ;)

I wonder just how big the tournament will be treated in France.

There's no reason you Europeans can't follow both football (soccer) and Rugby. It's not like Rugby will ever challenge soccer's status for number one sport, but there's always room for another code of sport.

The thing is anyway, only in NZ and the Pacific Islands like Fiji and Tonga is Rugby the number one sport. In every other country _ the UK, Australia, South Africa _ it competes against and is number two against other football codes.

A lot of that problem is self-inflected. Its still the good old boys club and they do nothing to help out other unions that are up and coming.

No I disagree to an extent, I can tell you now that rugby in Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Japan, Australia and all over the Asia-Pacific region would be nowhere today if it wasn’t for the development the put into and is still today working on with those unions.

There's no reason you Europeans can't follow both football (soccer) and Rugby. It's not like Rugby will ever challenge soccer's status for number one sport, but there's always room for another code of sport.

The more the merrier, I reckon. Some of these overpaid footballers wouldn't last five seconds on a rugby field, that's for sure.

Archived