Rugby World Cup France 2007

Now that FIFA WC Germany 2006 is over, the next of the big events on the horizon is Rugby's showcase in France next year.

So far we've got threads devoted to 2-011 (NZ) and the 2015 possible bidders, but nothing for next year now.

So here's a thread fopr news, views and comments in the lead-up.

First up, the groups. The the pools for next year's event, with England, NZ, Australia and France as the top seeds, are:

Pool A: England, South Africa, Samoa, Americas 3, Repechage 2

Pool B: Australia, Wales, Fiji, Americas 2, Asia 1

Pool C: New Zealand, Scotland, Europe 1, Europe 2, Repechage 1

Pool D: France, Ireland, Argentina, Europe 3, Africa 1

Opening match is France versus Argentina in Paris on ZSeptember 7, after the Pumas qualified comfortably (26-0) over Uruguay yesterday.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Canada beats the USA in August we will be in Pool B. Joy. Oh well, nothing much is expected of the boys, but not qualifying is not one of them

I'd expect Canada to qualify _ probably in either group B or A. I'm sure the USA will too.

I'd keep my eye on Ireland, if they keep up the way they have been going this season they are going to be a real force. Ireland and South Africa.

yea i agree ireland will be a big force next year

Before home matches, the Irish have two anthems played. I'm pretty sure that one is the national anthem of the Republic of Ireland and the other is a song called "Ireland's Call", which is their rugby anthem.

thats right i remember now they do have a separeate irish rugby song which was played in new zealand a few weeks ago when the irish were touring

i see australia beat south africa 48-0 last night! So south africa obviously has a lot of work to do before next year. They play the all blacks this weekend in Wellington New Zealand

Germany won't be in France next year. They lost a two-legged playoff to Spain 44-28 on aggregate back in May.

did spain qualify after beating Germany or do they have other qualification games to win

At this point in time, Ireland, SA, NZ, AUS, France and England are the teams that will really contest the RWC next year. France will most likely be a finalist, and at the moment...and I know nzolympic is going to hate me for this...New Zealand won't be there - again.

At this point in time, Ireland, SA, NZ, AUS, France and England are the teams that will really contest the RWC next year. France will most likely be a finalist, and at the moment...and I know nzolympic is going to hate me for this...New Zealand won't be there - again.

i think new zealand will be there.... Alexjc: where do you think new zealand will finish then

After their AVERAGE performances lately, Third or Forth...As I said, at this point in time. They could even be Knocked out by Ireland if that country really wants it!

Archived