• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought France played slightly better for most of the match and seemed to have more chances of goals but they went ahead with a dubious penalty early in the first half whilst Italy equalised with a perfectly good goal and were unlucky to have a second one disallowed! So,on the whole,I think Italy deserved to win,even though it was unfortunate for the match to end in a penalty shoot-out!!

I think it was sad to see the final end in such unfortunate chaos with Zidane suffering the disgrace of being sent off for his outrageous head-butt on Materazzi.It was clear to me that Materazzi was deliberately provoking him with insulting comments but a player of Zidane's great stature and maturity should have been able to react to it without doing "a Rooney"! He was no immature kid but a great international player,a hero of football, who should have ended his career on a high and not in this shameful way!! Moreover,this incident rendered him unable to take a penalty for France at the end which might well have turned the tide for France.A costly blunder by him indeed! All we can do is try to put this unfortunate incident to the back of our minds and remember the greatness of Zidane and the way he helped propel France into the finals in the first place!!!

Bad luck France but well done for confounding us all by getting to the finals in the first place.Second place is no shame indeed!!

Congratulations and bravo to Italy on winning your FOURTH World Cup trophy to add to your 1934,1938 and 1982 trophies and becoming the European nation with the MOST World Cup trophies in the history of the game!!! :)

Bravo Italia!!!!!

Enjoy the glory!

Jeez. yes, it was disgraceful of ZZ to act as he did, but, hey, whatever the Italian player said will have to go down as the taunt that won a World Cup!

I thought France played slightly better for most of the match and seemed to have more chances of goals but they went ahead with a dubious penalty early in the first half whilst Italy equalised with a perfectly good goal and were unlucky to have a second one disallowed! So,on the whole,I think Italy deserved to win,even though it was unfortunate for the match to end in a penalty shoot-out!!

I think it was sad to see the final end in such unfortunate chaos with Zidane suffering the disgrace of being sent off for his outrageous head-butt on Materazzi.It was clear to me that Materazzi was deliberately provoking him with insulting comments but a player of Zidane's great stature and maturity should have been able to react to it without doing "a Rooney"! He was no immature kid but a great international player,a hero of football, who should have ended his career on a high and not in this shameful way!! Moreover,this incident rendered him unable to take a penalty for France at the end which might well have turned the tide for France.A costly blunder by him indeed! All we can do is try to put this unfortunate incident to the back of our minds and remember the greatness of Zidane and the way he helped propel France into the finals in the first place!!!

Bad luck France but well done for confounding us all by getting to the finals in the first place.Second place is no shame indeed!!

Congratulations and bravo to Italy on winning your FOURTH World Cup trophy to add to your 1934,1938 and 1982 trophies and becoming the European nation with the MOST World Cup trophies in the history of the game!!! :)

The second Italian goal was clearly offside.

Italy deserved to win the trophy. Full credit to them, they played amazingly and was the better team. Full credit to France for being great opposition and proved a lot.

I wish the game hadn't been settled by penalties, but it was a great finish and congratulations to Italy and to the Italians on the board. I hope you enjoy this.

I dont believe Italia deserved the win, actually. I thought France over the 120 mins was the much better side. Think the rwd card for Zidane was the beginning of the end though.

Also, everyone is too quick to judge Zidane. I for sure will remember him for being a breathtaking footballer, probably the best of his generation. I will forget about this red card, as I have no idea what inspired him to do what he did. I agreed with the red card, however. I just feel this may overcast his amasing career... I really hope thats not the case.

I'm sad because the best team didn't win the match. France was much better than Italy, except in some parts of the first time. But this is how the game is. Italy is the champion and congratulations to them.

Anyway, I can't believe what happened to Zizou. With that headbutt, he lost the Golden Boot, the World Cup and in its last match when he was playing incredible. :(

PS: I can't believe Medina Cantalejo was chosen as fourth referee... Com'on!!!

I dont believe Italia deserved the win, actually. I thought France over the 120 mins was the much better side. Think the rwd card for Zidane was the beginning of the end though.

Also, everyone is too quick to judge Zidane. I for sure will remember him for being a breathtaking footballer, probably the best of his generation. I will forget about this red card, as I have no idea what inspired him to do what he did. I agreed with the red card, however. I just feel this may overcast his amasing career... I really hope thats not the case.

The team that wins is the team that deserved to win, its not like France was robbed in any fashion (unless you think that second penalty should have been rewarded) and Italy came out on top playing brillant defence. It may not have been as watchable as Germany-Portugal, but it was the championship match and Italy took it.

The only thing I don't like about the victory is Totti getting a WC.

The team that wins is the team that deserved to win, its not like France was robbed in any fashion (unless you think that second penalty should have been rewarded) and Italy came out on top playing brillant defence. It may not have been as watchable as Germany-Portugal, but it was the championship match and Italy took it.

The only thing I don't like about the victory is Totti getting a WC.

haha I love Totti, more because he just gets on with things. I remember when he spat and was sent off in last world cup... crasy.

Yeah sure Italy won, but the winning team isnt always the one who deserves to win. The penalty that Zidane scored... ahhhhhh I realy dubious decision I feel.

Italy too their chance, and won. Sure we can say that..

Congratulations Italy. I don't know if anyone actually expected them to win; however, I'm just pleased that it wasn't the Germans that rose the cup above their heads at the end! B)

It seems that Olympic hosting has also resulted in football glory these past few years:

Greece 2004

Italy 2006

Is there time for China to join UEFA?

Can we look forward to WC glory for Canada come 2010?

Turkish Guy, I'm not surprised at all that you couldn't get straight through it without a side blow on Germany. Sad enough that even this World Cup couldn't give you a better impression of the German team.

Anyway, congratulations to Italy which is a deserved winner IMO. They had too many dangerous goal opportunities for ending up only as Vice World Champion. But since their progress in this tournament was fueled very strongly by luck rather than by talent, I'm curious to see how they'll perform after this World Cup.

Zinedine Zidane's disgraceful foul took my breath away. I didn't expect an experienced player of 34 years committing such an absolutely foolish, crappy mistake -- regardless of which impudent things Materazzi possibly told him before. What a sad ending for a great career!

And another disgrace, in my eyes, was that this World Cup final had to be decided by penalties. Maybe it was symbolic for this very defensive, goal-droughty tournament that it had to end in such a fashion. But nevertheless, I'm sad that this great party hadn't a more attractive end.

Turkish Guy, I'm not surprised at all that you couldn't get straight through it without a side blow on Germany. Sad enough that even this World Cup couldn't give you a better impression of the German team.

Anyway, congratulations to Italy which is a deserved winner IMO. They had too many dangerous goal opportunities for ending up only as Vice World Champion. But since their progress in this tournament was fueled very strongly by luck rather than by talent, I'm curious to see how they'll perform after this World Cup.

Zinedine Zidane's disgraceful foul took my breath away. I didn't expect an experienced player of 34 years committing such an absolutely foolish, crappy mistake -- regardless of which impudent things Materazzi possibly told him before. What a sad ending for a great career!

And another disgrace, in my eyes, was that this World Cup final had to be decided by penalties. Maybe it was symbolic for this very defensive, goal-droughty tournament that it had to end in such a fashion. But nevertheless, I'm sad that this great party hadn't a more attractive end.

At least the Germany-Portugal game was a good show.

I dont even remember that game.

It was the only game with three very memorable goals, the two Schwensteiger goals and Nono Gomes goal at the very end.

I actually supported Tyskland when my country went out.

Was so depressed when they lost :/

You supported Germany although we kicked your team, the Swedes, out of the tournament? -- Wow, this is real sportsmanship! But frankly, I always had very much respect for you Scandinavians and your very fair behaviour. Did I mention already that a fan attendant of the police in Dortmund praised the Swedish supporters for being the fairest and most jolliest supporters he ever met during his long career?

And another disgrace, in my eyes, was that this World Cup final had to be decided by penalties. Maybe it was symbolic for this very defensive, goal-droughty tournament that it had to end in such a fashion.

Darn!! WC 1994 in the US was the only World Cup to hold that title! Now Germany 2006 comes along and steals that title!! That should teach that little Spanish know-it-all mikel-ito to keep his trap shut. :P

There will be more of this in the years to come.

It was the only game with three very memorable goals, the two Schwensteiger goals and Nono Gomes goal at the very end.

Sorry, I thought you said Germany - Poland :/

You supported Germany although we kicked your team, the Swedes, out of the tournament? -- Wow, this is real sportsmanship! But frankly, I always had very much respect for you Scandinavians and your very fair behaviour. Did I mention already that a fan attendant of the police in Dortmund praised the Swedish supporters for being the fairest and most jolliest supporters he ever met during his long career?

Yeah Swedish people in general are like this... really.

Yeah of course I suported Germany... this was the best world cup ever in my opinion, the way Germany really took it to their hearts. Also, I have some German blood... I have conections with the city of Hamburg. So, once Sverige went out, I would always support Germany. They was SO unlucky against the Italians in the semi.

Archived