The World Cup Draws To An End

So you had fan miles, too? Do you know by chance if there'll be any official "Fanfeste" arranged by UEFA during the Euro 2008?

We had fanmiles in Vienna and Salzburg during the whole World Cup. And the organizers want to make similar ones during the EURO, as it was so great in Germany. But everything has to be planned. There were only discussions, that the fanmile at Residenzplatz in Salzburg could be far too small for 2008. So, I´ve no idea about anything "official". ;)

fussball_wm_news32_big.jpgfussball_wm_news30_big.jpg

"WM-Arena Salzburg"

What are the capacities for the Euro 2008 stadia?

Since Rolilau doesn't seem to have noticed the question, here's my (late) reply:

Innsbruck's Stadion Tivoli NEU will host 30,000 spectators.

Klagenfurt's Wörthersee-Stadion will host 30,000 spectators.

Salzburg's Stadion Salzburg Wals-Siezenheim will host 30,000 spectators.

Vienna's Ernst-Happel-Stadion (where the final will take place) will host 50,000 spectators.

Basle's St.-Jakob-Park (the venue for the opening match) will host 42,500 spectators.

Bern's Stade de Suisse will host 32,000 spectators.

Geneva's Stade de Genève will host 30,000 spectators.

Zurich's Letzigrund-Stadion will host 30,000 spectators.

Since Rolilau doesn't seem to have noticed the question, here's my (late) reply:

Vienna's Ernst-Happel-Stadion (where the final will take place) will host 50,000 spectators.

Basle's St.-Jakob-Park (the venue for the opening match) will host 42,500 spectators.

Oh UEFA!! <_<

The stadia are to small!!

Actuly, its not to bad for an EURO championchip. For exemple, in 2004, the stadiums capacity ranged from 65 000 to 28 000. Also in 2000, all the stadiums where between 52 000 and 30 000.

Actuly, its not to bad for an EURO championchip. For exemple, in 2004, the stadiums capacity ranged from 65 000 to 28 000. Also in 2000, all the stadiums where between 52 000 and 30 000.

That's true. But maybe it's a development which can't be continued in the future. There's a rising interest in football (as we saw during the World Cup where almost every match was sold-out). Thus it's very strange that we hadn't a 70,000+ stadium at an Euro since 1996. If it was possible to fill even the big stadia in the past, why shouldn't that be possible now, in an era of increasing football hype?

But if Italy should be awarded the Euro 2012, I expect another "big stadium tournament" -- with the Olympic Stadium in Rome, the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza in Milan, the Stadio San Paolo in Naples etc..

Sorry, I haven´t noticed it earlier :unsure:

Right, the stadia are quite small in comparison to Germany ones. Nearly all of them have to be enlarged for the EURO from ~15000 to 30000 (like Salzburg, Innsbruck, i.e). And one conclusion of the organization is that many visitors come without tickets and so they search for places for fan miles with a big capacity. The "Donauinsel" - island in Vienna is mentionned sometimes.

Given the massive following that England has at every major championship, it won't be enough. At least the Portuguese organisers of Euro 2004 had the sense to switch one of our group games to a larger ground.

But that won't certainly be a problem only for the English supporters. I guess that supporters from every "classic football country" (i.e. England, Germany, Italy, Spain ...) will find it difficult to find enough tickets.

And by the way: There can never be enough tickets for all supporters -- I just remind of the England vs. Portugal quarter-final in Gelsenkirchen where there were much more English supporters in the city than the pretty large Gelsenkirchen World Cup stadium (which seated 52,000 during the World Cup) could ever have hosted.

All very true. But the Official England Supporters Club has over 25,000 members (from the last statistics I saw) and we were getting allocations at some World Cup matches of little over 3,000. Now, I don't expect every single member of that club to be guaranteed a ticket for every game, and for the record I'm not a member. But, surely a fairer allocation for competing nations isn't too much to ask, is it?

All very true. But the Official England Supporters Club has over 25,000 members (from the last statistics I saw) and we were getting allocations at some World Cup matches of little over 3,000. Now, I don't expect every single member of that club to be guaranteed a ticket for every game, and for the record I'm not a member. But, surely a fairer allocation for competing nations isn't too much to ask, is it?

That's true. But as Quintana said: UEFA tends to reserve more tickets for supporters than FIFA does.

And I'm not too worried about that the lack of tickets for supporters could harm the atmosphere of the Euro 2008. Just look at what happened at the World Cup. Before the tournament, there were many, many discussions in the German media about the unfair ticketing system and the small amounts of tickets issued for the free sales. Everyone feared that the stadia would be full of lazy, indulged and phlegmatic sponsor representatives so that there would be no atmosphere at all during the matches -- and meanwhile, there would be many angry supporters outside the stadia showing their dissatisfaction about being able to watch the matches only on a screen. And what a great atmosphere we had, in reality -- inside as well as outside the stadia!

That's true. But as Quintana said: UEFA tends to reserve more tickets for supporters than FIFA does.

And I'm not too worried about that the lack of tickets for supporters could harm the atmosphere of the Euro 2008. Just look at what happened at the World Cup. Before the tournament, there were many, many discussions in the German media about the unfair ticketing system and the small amounts of tickets issued for the free sales. Everyone feared that the stadia would be full of lazy, indulged and phlegmatic sponsor representatives so that there would be no atmosphere at all during the matches -- and meanwhile, there would be many angry supporters outside the stadia showing their dissatisfaction about being able to watch the matches only on a screen. And what a great atmosphere we had, in reality -- inside as well as outside the stadia!

What? You mean they weren't? :lol:

Seriously, though, I'm not especially worried about the atmosphere. What concerns me most of all is that fans of all nations have fairer allocations of tickets to watch their teams play and they don't feel compelled to pay hundreds of pounds on the black market.

Perhaps you didn't notice it since you fell asleep over one of your boring American Football matches with all those tedious interruptions.

LMAO I "love" how you take everything stated about this World Cup to heart and behave in such a definsive way as if someone had personally humiliated you.

Perhaps you didn't notice it since you fell asleep over one of your boring American Football matches with all those tedious interruptions.

Pssssttt - Olympian.

It was a joke. It was making fun of the American stereotype that we don't like soccer. Hence the smiley face.

• 2 months later...

Not to be typing on this topic after the fact, but was there some news recently that Germany could end up hosting the 2010 World Cup because South Africa is in trouble? :o

Not to be typing on this topic after the fact, but was there some news recently that Germany could end up hosting the 2010 World Cup because South Africa is in trouble? :o

no way. even if in the remote case South Africa losts 2010, FIFA assured that Germany won't be the substitute

BTW there's a specific thread about the issue Aussie media focus on 2010 WC

no way. even if in the remote case South Africa losts 2010, FIFA assured that Germany won't be the substitute

BTW there's a specific thread about the issue Aussie media focus on 2010 WC

Well, I am really hoping so because you know who "proposed" such an outrageous idea.

R u kidding? Get their investment back in the stadia? Who ever heard of such an absurd thing!! Next thing you know, Korea, Japan, France and the US will all be clamoring to host again because they already have the stadia!! :angry: The idea is so ludicrous, it's almost blasphemous!!

Archived