The World Cup Draws To An End

To speak with Johnny Carson, "And now it has come to this..."

Today, the FIFA World Cup 2006 in Germany draws to an end. And I just want to say: Thank you all for your interest in this World Cup, for your support, your criticism and -- the most important -- for your passion for this great sport.

It was such a great fun for us Germans to have the football fans from all over the world here and to celebrate with them, careless of any national boundaries. For us those were four truly unforgettable weeks which maybe helped us, from now on, to cope better with our self doubts and our notorious pessimism. The greatest experience, of course, were all the praises for the German friendliness and their natural way to show patriotism. That was something I absolutely never expected before this World Cup -- and thus it will be maybe the most impressing memory I'll have of this tournament. It's amazing and still not self-evident for me that Germany as gone such a way after the dark years of the Third Reich. Thus this World Cup was really a historical landmark for us. However: Thank you all, once more, for giving us such a kind and generous acknowledgement.

Now, we're looking forward to the Euro 2008 in our neighbour countries Austria and Switzerland and, not to forget, the next World Cup in 2010 in South Africa. I wish them all a great success and especially the same joy and exuberance we were granted to experience in the past four weeks.

Thank you all! Merci à touts! Grazie a tutti! ¡Gracias a todos! Obrigado a todos! Danke an alle!

And see you, at the latest, in 2009 for the IAAF World Championships in Berlin!

And Thanks to all the German people for their fantastic hopitality and friendliness throughout. I may have been an armchair viewer but the reaction from the many thousands of England fans in Germany has been amazing. Everyone seems to be saying how wonderful the German people have been and how well the contest has been organised.

Personally, I've not enjoyed a World Cup as much since Italia 90.

Thankyou Germany. I am sure this does your hopes of an Olympic Games no harm at all. You have proved that you can pull of a big event with style.

And Thanks to all the German people for their fantastic hopitality and friendliness throughout. I may have been an armchair viewer but the reaction from the many thousands of England fans in Germany has been amazing. Everyone seems to be saying how wonderful the German people have been and how well the contest has been organised.

Thankyou Germany. I am sure this does your hopes of an Olympic Games no harm at all. You have proved that you can pull of a big event with style.

i agree well done germany!!!

Thanks a lot, everybody.

On a lighter note, I have something to add: It was absolutely incredible how good the weather was during this World Cup. Germany presented itself in an absolutely unusual manner: With sun and heat in the summer instead of cool temperatures, rain and November atmosphere. :D And that during almost the complete four weeks! I guess we have to send St. Peter a letter of thanks.

(I don't know whether this custom also exists outside of Germany -- but usually we say that St. Peter is responsible for the weather.)

germany and south africa both share a history and past we are not very proud of but we stand together in the future proud of our new identity and national pride and love for our countries.

Organisation wise it was a great World Cup and I didn't expect otherwise. Gründlichkeit is possibly Germany's biggest virtue. What a huge difference compared to France 98. Where the French always seem to forget at least one important thing (the main reason I was happy Paris didn't win the 2012 bid), the Germans always make sure everything is perfectly OK. Well done, Deutschland!

Thank You Germany...I loved every minute watchung this World Cup and it really looks like Germany did a great job and I love their stadiums...hopefully someday we will see them used for an Olympics (which Germany could unquestionably host)....now the Game is comming on on ABC so let me go watch...go Italia lol....

man I hate when the World Cup ends because that officially begins the long interlude until Beijing 2008

Thanks to you Germany, for an amazing World Cup.

I hope that soon Germany hosts another big event like the Olympic Games or probably another World Cup in a lot of years. You did incredible!

But in the next time, Chile won't miss the chance to be there :)

Thanks a lot, everybody.

On a lighter note, I have something to add: It was absolutely incredible how good the weather was during this World Cup. Germany presented itself in an absolutely unusual manner: With sun and heat in the summer instead of cool temperatures, rain and November atmosphere. :D And that during almost the complete four weeks! I guess we have to send St. Peter a letter of thanks.

(I don't know whether this custom also exists outside of Germany -- but usually we say that St. Peter is responsible for the weather.)

Alistair Campbell in his article in the Daily Mirror (as cited in Arwebb's post ) has it absolutely right!! Germany and Germans are the real winners in this World Cup even though your team did not make it to the final!

Bravo Germany and well done!!! :D

PS.Could you Germans put in a word with St.Peter for similar weather in England between the dates July 27-August 15 2012 (especially in the London area)!! ;)

Next stop the 2009 World Athletics Championships, I guess.

no - not the next stop

we have few more events before 2009 Athletics

2006 - Aachen, World Equestrian Games

logo.gif

2006 - Mönchengladbach - Hockey WorldCup

2007 - Handball World Championships

head_rechts.jpg

I can tell you guys -- this evening feels like hell for me. All day I was pretty "stable" but now I realise that tonight, there won't be another World Cup match to be watched and there won't be any for the next four years (and in terms of Germany, not for the next 40, 50 or even 60 years). I want my World Cup back!!! :(:(:(:(:( (Damn, where is the crying emoticon?)

And to make the whole situation even worse: Today, it was announced that one of the greatest German entertainers and TV comedians, Rudi Carrell died of lung cancer last Friday. He can almost be compared to Johnny Carson (although Carrell never presented a talk show) because he was on German television for 40 years and had extremely high viewer ratings until the 1990s. There are truly happier days than this one.

Farewell, Rudi!

jpeg-1omg4002-20041213-img_7723234.onlineBild.jpg

Carrell wasn't German though...

He was born as Dutch, but later took the German citizenship. And he always said that meanwhile, he felt as German. In his last public appearance -- at the "Goldene Kamera" TV award last February -- he even said, "Germany has given me ten times more than I ever hoped for. I owe my life to this wonderful country!" (See the "Zitate" section in this article: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudi_Carrell)

I guess that must have been one of the reasons he wasn't very loved over here.

Oh come on -- do you really have to make a rivalry out of the relationship between our two countries? Maybe it's nice to tease each other a little bit whenever a match between your and our football teams is about to take place.

But the rest of the year, I perceive it as such a relaxed and friendly neighbourship. I always feel very comfortable when I'm visiting the Netherlands. When even a German prince (whose marriage to Beatrix was very controversial at the beginning) was able to become one of the most popular members of the Dutch royal house -- why do we still have to discuss about the allegedly bad relationship between our two countries, then? Gosh, we are neighbours and not enemies!

No, I'm serious. He wasn't very loved here. One of the reasons was because he moved to Germany in the sixties. It was still not done at the time. The generation that grew up with him wasn't happy with it. Younger generations never knew him so I guess the general idea about him never changed. He had to beg for years before someone (a friend) finally decided to nominate him for a decoration to the Queen. I only know him from what I read about him and he apparently was also very arrogant and simply not very funny.

The reason why Prince Claus became so popular is because younger generations grew up with him, realised that he was actually a very cool dude which eventually resulted in him becoming to most popular person of the royal family.

I agree with you that the relations between our two countries are excellent. Germany is for instance The Netherlands most important trading partner for and my hometown makes a lot of money every summer from German tourist. Dutch economy relies on Germany so to speak. I always feel perfectly fine and welcome when I visit Germany although I admittedly don't visit it very often.

I hadn't so much time to see every game of the WC, but what I saw, was great! I had the feeling that Germany really organized the Championsships with its theme "Zu Gast bei Freunden". It was a great festival, the fans were great - and Germany won so much with this WC. Long time ago, that Germans were so proud, and they can be! I even saw cyclists here in Austria with a German flag - today! During the WC the Germans crossed the border to watch their team winning at our fanmiles. It was such a great show!

Congratulations Germany - very well done!! B)

I hadn't so much time to see every game of the WC, but what I saw, was great! I had the feeling that Germany really organized the Championsships with its theme "Zu Gast bei Freunden". It was a great festival, the fans were great - and Germany won so much with this WC. Long time ago, that Germans were so proud, and they can be! I even saw cyclists here in Austria with a German flag - today! During the WC the Germans crossed the border to watch their team winning at our fanmiles. It was such a great show!

Congratulations Germany - very well done!! B)

Thank you very much. Now we're looking very much forward to the Euro 2008 in front of your doorstep. ;) I guess it'll be almost like another tournament in Germany since there'll certainly be a lot of German fans in and around the stadia. Just like playing at home! ;) But seriously: Knowing that the next big football tournament is about to take place at our closest neighbours (regarding the language) eases my "post-World-Cup blues" a lot.

So you had fan miles, too? Do you know by chance if there'll be any official "Fanfeste" arranged by UEFA during the Euro 2008?

BÜDDE :)

It has been a plasure for us.

Archived