Le Tour De France

Its not that cut and dry. Armstrong won with a strong team and road extremely tacticly whereas some like Merckx and Jacque just went all out without much help from a team and tried to dominate the race from start to finish. This is why Armstrong only leads one of the 3 major records (though be it most wins in comparison to most stage wins and most yellow jerseys both of which I don't even think he is second in) Armstrong is the best winner of le tour, but the best cyclist in le tour history not likely. And is also why Armstrong never won the green or mountain classifications.

To the Spanish and Italians, would a cyclist from your country care more about winning your own tours or le tour?

for the spanish cyclists is more important to win the Tour de France that the Vuelta a España

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Armstrong set his stall out to win the Tour de France every year, and did not commit himself to the other big Tours. The fact that Merckx won not only multiple French Tours, but also several Tours of Italy as well marks him out, for me, as the best of all.

I have accused you of nothing personally, the play that way comment was about the debate. You in fact have accused me of being bitchy and anti-american.

I also find it funny that you state that you don't care about what three posters have to saw, but in your previous post you said that i fail to acknowledge points you made. trying to have things both ways doesn't work

I guess you missed:

My thoughts on Armstrong are not wikipedia material, they are the fact that I watch le tour, read about le tour and in general pay some attention to cycling and its history. In fact I do like Armstrong, his story is amazing, but it doesn't blind him to the truth about his place in canon of cycling history.

They are your opinion mixed with crap you read from wikipedia......and please stop twisting things (you should be a lawyer!)....and whatever at the end of the day Lance won SEVEN tour de france's and is a remarkable athlete who, once again is the PREMIERE athlete of cyclings PREMIERE event....so keep going...and I will keep repeating that little "fact"

They can't take that away from him. Whatever I or others may think about Merckx being the best of all time, there can be little argument that Armstrong is probably the best known and most courageous cyclist we've ever known.

They can't take that away from him. Whatever I or others may think about Merckx being the best of all time, there can be little argument that Armstrong is probably the best known and most courageous cyclist we've ever known.

and that's fine...you are entitled to your opinion as I or anyone else is to theirs......just don't ever try to belittle Armstrong's accomplishment that goes unmatched...that being that he is the premiere athlete who won cyclings premiere event a record 7 times......you can win a bunch of little things....but nothing beats that big proze in the end....just ask the dozens of athletes who have gone down in the history book winning all the smaller prozes in their respective sport, but not that big one they all aim for....i.e. Michelle Kwan, etc.

They are your opinion mixed with crap you read from wikipedia......and please stop twisting things (you should be a lawyer!)....and whatever at the end of the day Lance won SEVEN tour de france's and is a remarkable athlete who, once again is the PREMIERE athlete of cyclings PREMIERE event....so keep going...and I will keep repeating that little "fact"

Its crap that Mercks won five le tour de france, its crap that we won five giro's? this is common knowledge for most cycling fans, not something you need to get from wikipedia. Why do you assume my knowledge is limited to things that can be found on wikipedia? thats completely insulting.

Wikipedia is not the only source of information.

and where have i tried to belittle Armstrong's accomplishment, i have praised him more than once.

Also you fail to understand that in cycling like in tennis and in golf there are multiple major events. In cycling its Le Tour de France, Giro d'Italia and the world championships. Just like in golf and tennis one stands out above the others (Wimbledon and the Masters) but it doesn't mean that the other parts of the slam or thriple crown are signifantly less important. Armstrong won only 2 of the three major events in cycling, a total of 8 wins, wereas Merckx has won 13.

Its crap that Mercks won five le tour de france, its crap that we won five giro's? this is common knowledge for most cycling fans, not something you need to get from wikipedia. Why do you assume my knowledge is limited to things that can be found on wikipedia? thats completely insulting.

Wikipedia is not the only source of information.

and where have i tried to belittle Armstrong's accomplishment, i have praised him more than once.

Also you fail to understand that in cycling like in tennis and in golf there are multiple major events. In cycling its Le Tour de France, Giro d'Italia and the world championships. Just like in golf and tennis one stands out above the others (Wimbledon and the Masters) but it doesn't mean that the other parts of the slam or thriple crown are signifantly less important. Armstrong won only 2 of the three major events in cycling, a total of 8 wins, wereas Merckx has won 13.

great accomplishments, but NOT seven tour de france's...Lance is again the PREMIERE athlete of cyclings PREMEIRE event

Why is that? I have heard that Indurain never winning la Vuelta has something to do with that?

I just answer a question:

"To the Spanish and Italians, would a cyclist from your country care more about winning your own tours or le tour?"

Indurain never won the Vuelta because he care more to win the Tour (5) and the Giro (2)

You make a great spokesmodel SO. :P You said everything I was thinking.

As an example, Faster. Ron Clarke of Australia was probably the best runner of the 60's. He won EVERYTHING leading up to the '60 and '68 Olympics. But he never won at the Olympics, the premier event of running. So he is largely ignored.

Billy Mills, an unknown runner with few prior wins, won at the Olympics in 1964 and is widely known with his one win.

That's how the Tour is. No matter how you slice it, Lance is the premier cyclist in the arena of public opinion and for his phenominal record in France. And even if the French or this Spaniard who was in the lead wins, and I am sure that all of Europe will crown this new person as the best cyclist ever and Lance as a has been, you can't erase history. B)

Yeah, Lance is the most HATRED cyclist in the history of cycling... do u think they will crown him? :D Other cyclist such as Ullrich, Basso, Induráin, etc were better people. They didn't try to win EVERYTHING like Armstrong. They only thought in winning Le Tour and not winning all the days as Armstrong. The people like Armstrong don't taste very well in cycling... <_<

Yeah, Lance is the most HATRED cyclist in the history of cycling... do u think they will crown him? :D Other cyclist such as Ullrich, Basso, Induráin, etc were better people. They didn't try to win EVERYTHING like Armstrong. They only thought in winning Le Tour and not winning all the days as Armstrong. The people like Armstrong don't taste very well in cycling... <_<

yea hated by people like you, but quite frankly who cares if people like you like them?....he still is the PREMIERE athlete of cyclings PREMIERE event...sorry Mikel

Taste THIS Mikel :D

Your such a knat pequeño informado mal <_< Whats the purpose of competing in something if your not out to win?

Obviously you have never played sports.

Anyway your opinion doesn't matter. Facts speak for themselves and Lance is the greatest cyler in the Tours history.

Thus endeth the lesson.

Now shoo!

and that's fine...you are entitled to your opinion as I or anyone else is to theirs......just don't ever try to belittle Armstrong's accomplishment that goes unmatched...that being that he is the premiere athlete who won cyclings premiere event a record 7 times......you can win a bunch of little things....but nothing beats that big proze in the end....just ask the dozens of athletes who have gone down in the history book winning all the smaller prozes in their respective sport, but not that big one they all aim for....i.e. Michelle Kwan, etc.

I don't think anyone would seek to belittle what Armstrong has achieved. But Armstrong has said himself that he is not in the same league as Merckz. I wouldn't call winning five Giro D'Italia titles, three world championships and holding the world hour record for two decades little things, for instance. There is nobody in his league. Nobody has come close to being the great all round cyclist that he was. That is why, for most observers, Merckz is the best of them all.

Armstrong is the best of his era, head and shoulders above anyone else. And he's got to be among the top five cyclists of all time. But I don't think you could ever realistically put him above Merckz.

I don't think anyone would seek to belittle what Armstrong has achieved. But Armstrong has said himself that he is not in the same league as Merckz. I wouldn't call winning five Giro D'Italia titles, three world championships and holding the world hour record for two decades little things, for instance. There is nobody in his league. Nobody has come close to being the great all round cyclist that he was. That is why, for most observers, Merckz is the best of them all.

Armstrong is the best of his era, head and shoulders above anyone else. And he's got to be among the top five cyclists of all time. But I don't think you could ever realistically put him above Merckz.

how much do i love you right now

I'm not tryin to, just stating a fact that he is the premiere athlete of cyclings premiere event...and no one will come close to that accomplishment....thats all

how much do i love you right now

I don't know. All I know is I'm worried.

I'm not tryin to, just stating a fact that he is the premiere athlete of cyclings premiere event...and no one will come close to that accomplishment....thats all

No they won't. Nobody will ever do what Armstrong did again. They won't get close.

they said that about Indurain's 5 straight.

It my be in the distint future but records are meant to be broken and I think someone will come again and break Armstrongs. It took more than 40 years to break Jacques Anquetil's record and it probably will take that much longer to break Armstrong's but in the end it will fall.

I don't know. All I know is I'm worried.

No they won't. Nobody will ever do what Armstrong did again. They won't get close.

that's all I wanted to hear....you are always fair and give a wise opinion unlike some in this thread....

I just answer a question:

"To the Spanish and Italians, would a cyclist from your country care more about winning your own tours or le tour?"

Indurain never won the Vuelta because he care more to win the Tour (5) and the Giro (2)

But why did he not care?" La Vuelta has been won by a Spanaird for the past few years, except for a few correct?

Taste THIS Mikel :D

Your such a knat pequeño informado mal <_< Whats the purpose of competing in something if your not out to win?

Obviously you have never played sports.

Anyway your opinion doesn't matter. Facts speak for themselves and Lance is the greatest cyler in the Tours history.

Thus endeth the lesson.

Now shoo!

Your opinion doesn't matter, too... :) You only follow cycling if an American cyclist is there. But: HELLO!!! THERE ARE OTHER RACES AND OTHER TITLES TO WIN!!! You have American mentality. You only want to win EVERYTHING nagging the dreams of the other cyclists who only want to win ONE stage!!!! When Indurain ran, won he everything? NO! Was he estimated by the other cyclists? YES! <_<

So, shut up if you don't have any idea about cycling. Armstrong won 7 tours, but how many giros and vueltos he won? And world cups? And classic races? :huh:

But why did he not care?" La Vuelta has been won by a Spanaird for the past few years, except for a few correct?

he didn´t care because he said that is not posible to prepare well the three races and he said that the Tour and the Giro are priorities...

he didn´t care because he said that is not posible to prepare well the three races and he said that the Tour and the Giro are priorities...

Interesting...Thanks for the information; I have been wondering about this for a few years. I still find it odd that he would not try to win at least one Tour of Spain, however.

Your opinion doesn't matter, too... :) You only follow cycling if an American cyclist is there. But: HELLO!!! THERE ARE OTHER RACES AND OTHER TITLES TO WIN!!! You have American mentality. You only want to win EVERYTHING nagging the dreams of the other cyclists who only want to win ONE stage!!!! When Indurain ran, won he everything? NO! Was he estimated by the other cyclists? YES! <_<

So, shut up if you don't have any idea about cycling. Armstrong won 7 tours, but how many giros and vueltos he won? And world cups? And classic races? :huh:

I am about to get my fly swat out and take a swat at you, you little Spanish Fly! :lol:

What you think that Lance should have let others win different legs of the Tour? <_< You obviously don't know how it works then. Placement in each leg counts towards who ultimately wins. In the event of a close race those placements may make the difference of who wins or looses.

Now run along and hide your head in shame for not understanding how it works and let those of us who follow cycling converse. B)

Interesting...Thanks for the information; I have been wondering about this for a few years. I still find it odd that he would not try to win at least one Tour of Spain, however.

you are welcome

Archived