Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cube

Fifa World Cup 2010 - South Africa

Hey the last tower in Madrid looks like this one in Monterrey. I wonder if it was the same Architect?? :)

Piss off, you fucking spammer.

Costs havent soared...this is hilarious everytime i read these articles

in the bid book...south africa was only going to build ONE new stadium...

now...five new stadia will be built to leave an approoriate legacy for each city, and five existing stadia will be used...i think this is the correct balance between modern stadia and meeting the needs of cities after the world cup...

yes the costs have increased but for petes sake DUH...build five new stadia...and associated infrastructure ure going to pay more for stadium upgrades...also the R2billion rand mentioned in the bid book was based on 2004 figures so again, its really not that dramatic...the south africa gvt can afford the cost...the costs didnt suddenly just jump up...huge investments are being made in stadia...south africa is certainly taking this world cup serious...and this will hopefully be reflected in improved transport and a fantastic mix of stadia....

also remember that constrution costs in south africa are significantly lower....the cost of renovating the berlin olympic stadium for 2006 can build 50,000 seater stadium in south africa...building a 3.5 billion rand stadium in germany will cost 2 billion in south africa..

the 1.6 m rand being spent to upgrade the soccer city venue is really needed considering the pathetic state of the stadium, essentially its building a whole new stadium...if cost was the issue, kings park, newlands, athlone stadium, which all would seat 50,000 + and currently exist would be used instead...

cost of wembley R9.3 billion....cost of all stadia for 2010....R12.5

correction...wembley stadium cost R10.25 billion...total cost for 2010 stadia R12.5 billion

Mo, I've read in the following article a couple days of ago that today, the "official launch" of the 2010 World Cup shall begin in Johannesburg. It shall take three days and will be accompanied by major FIFA officials, such as Sepp Blatter. But strangely, I haven't found any articles from South African media about the beginning of the event. Can you confirm that this event really takes place or have the Jamaicans got something wrong?

Burrell off to SA for official launch of World Cup 2010

well im pretty much aware of every single article and this is a weird one...what i can say is that FIFA are in cape town ..sepp blatter etc...there was or is also an event taking place in joburg currently, one from which my uncle has just returned regarding 2010 transport plans..

well im pretty much aware of every single article and this is a weird one...what i can say is that FIFA are in cape town ..sepp blatter etc...there was or is also an event taking place in joburg currently, one from which my uncle has just returned regarding 2010 transport plans..

Well, then the article isn't that false. It also says that the beginning of the "launch conference" will take place in Johannesburg today and then the conference will move to Cape Town. I've even found another article stating that there's currently a "brainstorming conference" regarding the 2010 World Cup:

Ghana/South Africa: Abedi for 2010 World Cup Summit

(Note: The article even says that the conference already started on Saturday [October 21])

Oh, I see. Here's an article concerning the transport conference your uncle supposedly attended:

Minister hails transport indaba

By the way: Has your uncle something to do with the World Cup organising comittee? Or does he simply work in the transport business?

my uncle is the head of the chairman of the cape town chamber of transport...he is planning the transport centred around the new 2010 stadium in cape town...he just returned from joburg this afternoon when i was over at his place, so i assume the conference is now moving to cape town...i was hoping that blatters presence would perhaps result in the unveiling of the cape town stadium design..but perhaps not...

Where the extra R7bn will go

Johannesburg

Old: The FNB Stadium was to undergo an upgrade, with tiers of seating added to round out the venue. Capacity: 94 700

New: FNB will retain naming rights to the "African pot" (but not during the World Cup, when it is likely to be known just as Soccer City), thanks to an agreement brokered when the bank handed the stadium over to soccer authorities. The stadium will be the flagship for the World Cup, hosting the opening and closing ceremonies and the final. Capacity: 104 000

Cape Town

Old: The Newlands rugby ground was to be upgraded, with a few more seats and improved VIP and media facilities. Capacity: 40 000

New: Greenpoint Stadium will be demolished and an entirely new venue, with retractable roof, will be built on the site. Capacity: 70 000

Port Elizabeth

Old: A traditional-looking stadium, on a site 2km from the sea. Capacity: 49 500

New: A futuristic-looking stadium built on the same site, but with an entertainment precinct around it. Capacity: 45 000

Durban

Old: King's Park rugby stadium (Absa Stadium) was going to have extra stands built at the goal ends to enclose the venue. Capacity: 60 000

New: The King Senzangakhona Stadium, to be built across the road from the Absa Stadium, on the site of the current King's Park soccer ground. Capacity: 80 000

Nelspruit

Old: The Mbombela Stadium was going to remain open, with a substantial roof built over the main grandstand. Capacity: 40 000

New: The stadium will have a stylish roof, covering all stands, and some temporary seating. Capacity: 45 000 during World Cup, 30 000 afterwards.

Cape Town hosts big Fifa World Cup workshop

By Sivuyile Mangxamba

It's all systems go at the Cape Town International Convention Centre as the city hosts a major Fifa workshop on the 2010 World Cup.

Several hundred delegates, Fifa members and cabinet ministers headed by President Thabo Mbeki were to meet in a closed plenary session today, to discuss key issues relating to Africa's first World Cup.

The Fifa organisers have taken almost half the meeting rooms at the convention centre for the 2010 governing body's workshop.

Partners, sponsors, the SA cabinet and host city officials will meet for two days.

The Fifa flag is flying over the convention centre and nine banners with host city names feature prominently.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter is not attending but has sent executive member Amos Amadu, set to open the conference with Mbeki.

"Blatter has had surgery. He cannot travel," said Fifa spokeswoman Delia Ficher.

A media workshop hosted by Fifa was scheduled for tomorrow morning

The world's soccer governing body and South Africa's 2010 Local Organising Committee is expected to explain various processes.

At least six cabinet ministers will attend.

Published on the web by Cape Argus on October 24, 2006. © Cape Argus 2006. All rights reserved.

2010 to defy scepticism about Africa - Mbeki

President Thabo Mbeki said South Africa would stage an "eminently successful" soccer World Cup in 2010 which would defy scepticism about Africa's ability to host the globe's premier sporting event.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&am...61702901135S163

maybe im being biased..but suddenly the logo appears fun and colourful and stand-outish...two workshop in joburg...now the workshop in cape town...things are going well..and falling into place...2007 and 2008 are going to be crazy construction years in south african cities..

72247813.jpg

The cape town workshop will take place at the convention centre in the pic below(the white exhibition halls and and convention centre with the white roofs just left of the centre of the pic...

wideanglecapetown.jpg

I think that South Africa will host an inspirational World Cup

Fifa president Sepp Blatter is not attending but has sent executive member Amos Amadu, set to open the conference with Mbeki.

"Blatter has had surgery. He cannot travel," said Fifa spokeswoman Delia Ficher.

Uhmm...he was seen in San Diego conferring with SoccerUSA officials.

I think that South Africa will host an inspirational World Cup
That doesnt ensure quality...what i doubt South Africa will have

A World Cup in South Africa will be refreshing and in a way I really wouldn't care if half the stadiums are incomplete and the organisation is not completely flawless as long as the football is entertaining. It will, hopefully be a world cup about football and nothing else. Germany 2006, as wonderfully organised as it was, was mostly boring (maybe that's because of England's performance - but I don't think so, England were bad in Euro 2004 and I enjoyed that a lot).

I'd rather an inspirational world cup lacking a bit of quality, than a quality world cup lacking inspiration.

the 2010 world cup will feature both complete stadia and an inspirational quality.

page_4246925.jpg

bBlatter said: "Plan A is the 2010 World Cup will be staged in South Africa.

"Plan B is the 2010 Fifa World Cup will be staged in South Africa.

"Plan C is the 2010 Fifa World Cup will be staged in South

Africa."

http://capeargus.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=3504448

the 2010 world cup will feature both complete stadia and an inspirational quality.

it will also feature an olympic style ceremony..but without the players...unfortunately this will be a horrible opening..south africa hasnt quite got the nack for opening ceremonies..so expect a shocker..hopefully not as bad as germany..but it things fall apart..we'll fill the stadium with a pool of water and have some people beat some drums for 3 hrs

What about Plan D? South Africa, too? ;)

Well, the former can be affected by the organisers indeed. But the latter is beyond the reach of even the most perfect organiser (see Germany) -- since the football players and nobody else are responsible for the quality of the game.

it will also feature an olympic style ceremony..but without the players...unfortunately this will be a horrible opening..south africa hasnt quite got the nack for opening ceremonies..so expect a shocker..hopefully not as bad as germany..but it things fall apart..we'll fill the stadium with a pool of water and have some people beat some drums for 3 hrs

Well -- all patriotic bias kept aside --, the opening ceremony of our World Cup wasn't that bad. I admit, in retrospect, that it was pretty embarrassing that Bavarian tradition had such a big part in it (because Bavaria is definitely not representative for the whole country). But I thought it was a brilliant and inspirational idea to convene all living World Cup winners and let them parade into the stadium, similar to the Olympic parade of nations. Additionally, our organisers couldn't make many mistakes within their opening ceremony -- with only 23 minutes available. It'll certainly be more dangerous to fill two or more hours... ;) Or how long shall the SA 2010 ceremony be?

By the way, I don't believe that the revival of the Olympic-style ceremony concept for the 2010 World Cup will really come true. Our actual opening ceremony concept was dumped because the bigwigs of FIFA suddenly thought that it might be a little bit over the top -- especially that it wouldn't find a lot of public interest and thus not produce enough revenue.

blatter said an olympic style ceremony remained a possibility for 2010 even if it was dumped for 2006...i can assure you that 70,000 tickets to an opening ceremony if an olympic style ceremony is chosen will be sold out.

Watch the highlights of the FIFA conference in Cape Town

http://www.fifa.com/en/worldcup/index/0,33...rticleid=124211

keep your eyes open for the site of cape towns stadium...:) its the view from the mountain with the ocean in the distance

**** this is awesome exposure for cape town

FIFA: Workshop ends with 15bn reasons to smile

/noticias.info/ The city of Cape Town has been the host of the first official FIFA workshop for the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ in South Africa on 24-25 October 2006.

The final day of the FIFA workshop was interrupted with a highly anticipated speech from the Minister of Finance, Trevor Manuel, making an important announcement that was broadcast live from the South African parliament.

Watch the video : 100k | 300k

During his medium-term budget speech, Manuel announced the government's amended budget, which includes 15 billion South African Rand (approximately $2 billion USD) towards the first FIFA World Cup™ in Africa.

The money is earmarked for projects related to the hosting of the event, including 8.4 billion Rand on stadium construction and upgrades. The remaining 6.6 billion will be spent on improving infrastructure.

CEO of the South African Organising Committee, Danny Jordaan has encouraged that the country is not only building stadiums and roads, but 'building a nation.'

The idea of a lasting social legacy was also reiterated by Jérôme Champagne, FIFA's Delegate for Special Affairs and the driving force behind the Win in Africa, with Africa initiative. Football's world governing body has already set aside $70 million US to finance this project.

Champagne, however, was quick to point out that "Money and power without a purpose does not make sense." Therefore, all the money allocated will go to fulfil the FIFA principles: 'Develop the game, touch the world and build a better future' with a specific focus on Africa.

The programmes include: ensuring an artificial turf in all African countries; collaborations with African universities to offer FIFA Master's courses in sports organisation and event management and to develop sports medicine. The hope is that these projects, among others will unite the continent in a way that only football can and leave a lasting legacy for the African continent.

The rest of the day included presentations by FIFA to their partners and sponsors on the roles they would play in 2010.

The host cities were also present including the City of Tshwane (Pretoria), Nelson Mandela Bay (Port Elizabeth) and Mangaung (Bloemfontein). They were fully briefed by FIFA its World Cup requirements for host cities. Both parties are ended the workshop committed to a fruitful and supportive partnership.

blatter said an olympic style ceremony remained a possibility for 2010 even if it was dumped for 2006...i can assure you that 70,000 tickets to an opening ceremony if an olympic style ceremony is chosen will be sold out.

Well, the only problem is, you can't do that much if the turf has to be 'pristene' for the Opening Game. Well, France '98 did have some sort of Ceremony in their Opening (It had to do with a whole inflatable garden); but your choices are limited because a Game will follow.