Fifa World Cup 2010 - South Africa

Cape Town may lose out on 2010 WC matches,entirely

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=28...662&set_id=

I don't see that to happen. Why should Cape Town lose the whole World Cup if they had to abort the Green Point plans and upgraded Newlands instead? What's wrong with Newlands? Couldn't it host the semi-final, too?

However, it would be a major blow to the whole tournament and country if the organisers didn't include world's most famous South African city. It would be incredibly stupid if they kicked the city out only because it had to relocate its venue to another (existing) stadium.

And additionally, I don't believe that the Green Point construction plans will have to be scrapped. Let the organisers talk once more to the residents, and I think that they'll achieve a good new compromise to get the residents' placet.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is very difficult to upgrade Newlands to 65,000 to meet the capacity for a semi-final match. This means CT would have to forfeit hosting a semi-final match. I have to be honest, CT is not going to be scrapped from the WC, not over the President's dead body and not over Sepp Blatter's dead body. However, Newlands or Athlone will not be used. An immense amount of planning has gone into Green Point which was a decision inherited from FIFA. Newlands and Athlone are simply not options. Ill post some info on why Newlands is not a good option, plus its in a residential area..and i mean its basically built five steps away from homes.

The relocation simply wont happen. This stadium is a city and gvt led project with the support of FIFA who initiated the idea of a stadium at Greenpoint. 150 residents of the formal oppositions association do not hold the power in a city of 3 million. Thats just not how it works.

The plan is to stage 9 matches in CT including a QF and SF to allow spectators a continous stay in the city throughout the owrld cup. A huge amount of invesment will take place in CT before the World Cup, and we're talking billions and billions of rands.

If the stadium is built, it will be linked to the $2 billion dollar waterfront and basically a small walk form the CBD/city centre.

Excluding CT from the World Cup is unthinkable.

Three BBC articles about South Africa 2010. The first one: Blatter's criticisms. The second one: Soccer City in Johannesburg. The third one: US lawsuit interferes by stopping FIFA from going with a deal with VISA.

Links:

1. BBC: Blatter Urges Work On 2010 Stadia

2. BBC: Last Game For SA's Soccer City

3. BBC: Mastercard Wins World Cup Lawsuit

I guess FIFA's choice of South Africa to host the 2010 World Cup brought positive news to the South African youth wanting to be there, either as a spectator or even as part of their national team:

Link: BBC: 2010 World Cup Inspiring SA Youth

South Africa 2010 Transport Action Plan - National Dept. of Transport comment on Sydney 2000 - October 2006

Sydney Olympics, 2000 – Sydney pledged to make transport management the “invisible success factor” for the 2000 Sydney Olympics. The National Minister of Transport reported to the Minister for the Olympics for the pre-2000 administration. New transport facilities and services included hundreds of kilometres of dedicated pedestrian walkways, dignified public spaces and bicycle ways and lanes, permanent and temporary dedicated, separated bus corridors, new railway stations and lines, improved water transport, transport control centres, 50,000 transport volunteers, and a 24-hour, free inner city “circulation” service.

Fundamental to these new services were passenger information, public awareness marketing, a special Transportation Media Centre, enforcement, and security.

The approach to transportation management taken for the Sydney Olympics - distinct from the city’s choices about infrastructure - has become the Gold Standard for managing transport for major international events.

Wow! All in one day!! I am impressed. Of course, a lot of the players would be dead by June 12th.

More rub on that statement here, baron. Do you believe what this article is saying?

Link: BBC: Aussies 'More Relaxed Over Sport'

All or nothing for Cape Town

The World Cup goes on with or without Cape Town - this was the stark warning emanating from chairman Irvin Khoza on Wednesday at a Local Organising Committee media briefing in Johannesburg on the

progress towards the 2010 tournament.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&am...66019840852S163

European football and soccer fans from around the world, mark this date on your calendars. Over a six-day period, starting on NOVEMBER 27, 2007, the draw for the qualifying round for South Africa 2010 will occur at DURBAN:

Link: BBC: World Cup 2010 Draw In Durban

Something off-topic:

Do you guys also get an "Internal Server Error" message if you click one of the previous pages of this topic? I can only see the first page properly when I click on the "Go to first page" button. Pretty strange.

And are you able to use all those buttons and menus (Bold, Italic, Fonts etc.) above the comment window? Since the recent reshaping of the forum, I can't use any of those functions anymore.

Something off-topic:

Do you guys also get an "Internal Server Error" message if you click one of the previous pages of this topic? I can only see the first page properly when I click on the "Go to first page" button. Pretty strange.

And are you able to use all those buttons and menus (Bold, Italic, Fonts etc.) above the comment window? Since the recent reshaping of the forum, I can't use any of those functions anymore.

Olympian2004, the functions for bold text, emoticons, etc., are not working at this time. GBModerator and his team are dealing with it, but you might want to be patient with them. It seems that, when they upgraded the forum's engine from the previous 2.1.7 version to the current one, some functions didn't go with the change. As for the previous pages, I am afraid that they are gone for good, unless there is a way to retreive them.

Olympian2004, the functions for bold text, emoticons, etc., are not working at this time. GBModerator and his team are dealing with it, but you might want to be patient with them. It seems that, when they upgraded the forum's engine from the previous 2.1.7 version to the current one, some functions didn't go with the change. As for the previous pages, I am afraid that they are gone for good, unless there is a way to retreive them.

Well, GBModerator has retrieved this last page of the topic -- temporarily, I couldn't view this one either, due to the same "Internal Server Error". So I guess that it's possible to retrieve the other pages, too.

Man, talk about a nation getting "kicked around" big time lately on many issues, especially the international ones. It has nothing to do with SA 2010 here, but I guess it will be a matter of time, if this nation will even be in the next World Cup. Remember, it was in Germany 2006:

Link: BBC: Iran Hit With International Ban

They are back:

Link: BBC: FIFA Lifts Iran International Ban

South African president, Thabo Mbeki, is staunchly defending the country's preparation for the 2010 World Cup:

Link: BBC: Mbeki Defends 2010 Preparations

Why does Mbeki defend the preparation at all? The organisers have already assured a thousand times that they will be ready on time and FIFA has assured that the World Cup won't be taken away from South Africa. So why does Mbeki stir the whole story up again? Everyone (including the media who are greedy for every new statement about the construction progress) should calm down and simply let the organisers do their work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
whakindda question is that? :rolleyes: What should the answer be? NO? :blink: If so, then why even bother to give it to So. Africa?

T

Well, baron, strange questions will bring up strange answers. I think most of us know what kind of football fans there are in the world and what they could end up doing in certain circumstances. That can be applied to the locals, too. Makes you wonder what could start up bad incidents, when South Africa 2010 begins.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived