World Cup 2014

South Africa isnt much different; when was the last time they qualified (if any) for the Cup? Beijing's Olympics will prove the attractiveness of an "open cheque book" event. I think FIFA will find it very hard to turn down a country which would promote football and itself with an seemingly endless supply of funds.

Even if China (or Asia) does not get 2018 or 2022, i would think FIFA would see the continent as a far more attractive option then another mundane United States Cup. The only reason why thr US qualify for so many cups is there lack of competition in the continent.

Personally, if China or Australia do not get 2018 or 2022, 2026 is almost a certainty, whatever the rotation policy.

Blatter has said he is confident Australia will host in either 2018 or 2022, esspecially if it can lift its ranking into the top20 and make at least the round of 16 by 2010.

Blatter says a lot of ****, Australia will not get it any time soon especially with China. He also thinks that Canada would be a good host. Canada will never host because of our unwillingness to build good stadia.

South Africa qualified for 1998 and 2002, they have qualified more times than Australia actually. BTW many people were hoping that Morocco would have gotten 2010 because it has a long history of footballing tradition, is very close to Europe and has a great infrastructure in comparison to Egypt and many parts of South Africa because its very touristy. Not to mention its smaller therefore easier and less money to develope the infrastructure. Blatter and his politics got it gifted to South Africa.

I think that if Brazil can't host it should be moved to Mexico, the USA or England. I think FIFA would o with Mexico over the other two with a backroom deal to give 2018 to England.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
England would probably be the powerhouse bid in Europe, given that Germany and France have just gone, and England hasn’t had a sniff of hope since 1966. Spain has also had it somewhat recently, though Italy may be another front runner. Other nations such as the Ukraine, Poland maybe, Switzerland/Austria, Russia, Portugal, Turkey, Sweden and Greece may also throw in bids but I seriously doubt they will be successful.

Italy has had it more recently than Spain. Of the others listed, I think only Russia is a realistic alternative.

Italy has had it more recently than Spain. Of the others listed, I think only Russia is a realistic alternative.

Italy won't host anytime soon. They know it and they're trying to host the Euro 2012

South Africa isnt much different; when was the last time they qualified (if any) for the Cup? Beijing's Olympics will prove the attractiveness of an "open cheque book" event. I think FIFA will find it very hard to turn down a country which would promote football and itself with an seemingly endless supply of funds.

Even if China (or Asia) does not get 2018 or 2022, i would think FIFA would see the continent as a far more attractive option then another mundane United States Cup. The only reason why thr US qualify for so many cups is there lack of competition in the continent.

Personally, if China or Australia do not get 2018 or 2022, 2026 is almost a certainty, whatever the rotation policy.

Blatter has said he is confident Australia will host in either 2018 or 2022, esspecially if it can lift its ranking into the top20 and make at least the round of 16 by 2010.

When I talked about Asia, I was excluding Australia... I see you hosting in 2022 or 2026... but not China (or other Asian bid). Well, Africa got them because FIFA promised that... and South Africa has more money than Egypt or Morocco, even they had more football tradition. Do you think that Korea and Japan hosted because of they "football tradition"? No, because Asia have to host and they were the most rich nations in that continent. Japan? Japan only qualified for 1998 before 2002...

The Olympics in Beijing is something really different. Ok, Beijing and Shanghai would be a wonderful host... but which other city? I don't see right now China hosting the WC...

Columbia británica

yo no me considero agresivo,aunque en ocasiones algunos comentarios me sacan de quicio

if you are happy with your unculture is your live...but don´t be uncouth please

That made no sense to me. I could have torn you up right now and told you to learn to structure your english sentences in a better format but I'm not like you.

Blatter says a lot of ****, Australia will not get it any time soon especially with China. He also thinks that Canada would be a good host. Canada will never host because of our unwillingness to build good stadia.

South Africa qualified for 1998 and 2002, they have qualified more times than Australia actually.

How is 2 more than 2?

I think Blatter is more confident in Australia then you think.

China? China? Why do people keep speaking about China as a possible WC host? They could not even host a 16-nation, 4-city women's WC -- and you want them to host a 32-team, 9-city, 1-month tournament? Are u guys crazy? They can't even qualify for the last 3 WCs, and you think they will get it? Let them host their first commitment -- a women's WC -- SARS or no SARS, and then the world will see if they can host the larger event.

So what if they have a 1.3 billion pop? So does India.

If you can remember SARS, then you would know why they couldn't host the tournament. Who would want to risk their health by going to China while this major outbreak of SARS is taking place? It had to be moved for the players and spectators health and safety.

And if I remember correctly, China did qualify for the World Cup last time in 2002 Korea/Japan. Get your facts straight.

It looks like they are on their way to hosting a successful Olympic games in Beijing. I think they will be able to handle a WC tournament.

How about a Greece/Turkey bid for the WC? Certainly not 2014 but definitely the one after. I mean we've placed a duo bid before for Euro 2008 but I believe we just became behind the Auatria/Switzerland bid. Both nations have also preformed well in recent International competitions and public interest for the sport is large at both sides of the Agean. I know that both nations can host and finance this event separately; however, if they both "split the bill" then it be more feasiable and well affordable for the both sides. Plus it's a chance to further promote both nations and show to the world the peaceful situations both nations are now experiencing just as Japan and Korea have done in 2002. Would this idea sell or am I dreaming too much here?

How about a Greece/Turkey bid for the WC? Certainly not 2014 but definitely the one after. I mean we've placed a duo bid before for Euro 2008 but I believe we just became behind the Auatria/Switzerland bid. Both nations have also preformed well in recent International competitions and public interest for the sport is large at both sides of the Agean. I know that both nations can host and finance this event separately; however, if they both "split the bill" then it be more feasiable and well affordable for the both sides. Plus it's a chance to further promote both nations and show to the world the peaceful situations both nations are now experiencing just as Japan and Korea have done in 2002. Would this idea sell or am I dreaming too much here?

Do you think Greece would be up for such a thing? They are in major debt after hosting the Athens Olympics. I doubt that they would blow more money on a World Cup.

Anyways, I remember hearing that FIFA isn't too fond of joint bids anymore after Japan/Korea.

I used to think Australia's WC musings to be just so much wishful thinking. I've now changed my mind. Okay, of course I fancy my home country's chances, but in all seriousness, after Germany 2006 I would now say that _ provided Australia also makes the 2010 South Africa finals _ it's all but inevitable that Australia will host within the next 20 years.

For a start, for anyone who was in Oz during WC 2006, the huge surge in interest and support for football from the tournament has been simply breathtaking. WC Japan-Korea 2002 had a big following here too, helped by the friendly time zone, but that was simply blown out of the water by the interest in this year's event. It was in the worst possible time-zone for viewing in this country, yet still managed to garner some simply unbelievable TV ratings that have been unmatched by previous football matches in Oz (bar the Australia-Uruguay qualifer in Sydney 2005). And what's more, that interest seems to have extended beyond the matches Australia were involved in. It is simply no understatement to say that the tournament was the biggest shot in the arm the game has ever had Down Under.

Then there's the Oz's team performance in Germany. Quite simply, we exceeded all expectations. But then again, Australia has been desperately unlucky not to have qualified for past tournaments, particularly 1998 and 2002. As I said, qualifying for WC 2010 is the one proviso I give towards winning a hosting, but I don't think anyone would underestimate our chances of doing exactly that now.

Then there's the move into Asia _ surely one of the best strategic moves that Australian soccer has ever made. Oceania was a millstone for Australia _ Asia just offers more and better competition and a fairer (though not necessarily easier) path to qualifying for the finals. It is going to be a huge boost for the Australian game's credibilty and respectability, not to mention the added experience of now competing in the Asian Cup and Asian Club leagues.

Domestically, the game's restructuring here _ culminating with last year's inaugural A-League competition _ has been a tremendous success, even before WC 2006. Last year's final of Sydney FC V Hunter Mariners drew an unprecedenteed crowd and TV audience for a domestic fixture. Since WC Germany, season ticket sales for A-League teams and matches have boomed. And judging by the numbers of kids now being seen on the streets playing with soccer balls rather than Rugby/Aussie Rules balls, the future is looking great. I'm not saying it will become the number one football code in Oz any time soon, but it has already surpassed its previous profile to become an acknowledged third code.

Infrastructure-wise, it's a no-brainer. Australia is one of the few countries outside Europe or the US that is quite capable of hosting it at short notice if needed. We have the stadia (only perhaps requiring a few tweaks for some, maybe some brand spanking new ones if we wanted to impress), we have six major cities that could host easily, and a number of other smaller State capitals and regional cities that would vie to take the remaining groups and matches.

The notion already has the blessing and support of the Federal, State and Territory governments and the FFA.

And last, but far from least, is the simple fact that Australia over the past few years has built a strong reputation for being a reliable and successful host for such big events. We are a reliable no-risk option. And few would doubt that the tournament would get strong crowds and audience support.

In the region, China is the big rival for hosting. And yes, China CAN do it (as has beeen mentioned, the only reason the Womens WC in China was moved to the US was because of SARS and the fact that the US could do it at short notice. Anyway, at the same time the 2003 tournament was moved, China was automatically given the 2007 tournament). But I do have a feeling China's chances for the mens finals have slipped in recent times just as Australia's have risen. 2018 may be too soon (especially in 2014 does end up in the southern hemisphere in Brazil as well). I do think it is inevitable that Europe, probably the UK, will get 2018. But after that, I think the chances at hosting the 2022 or 2026 tournament Down Under are about as excellent as could get.

It looks like they are on their way to hosting a successful Olympic games in Beijing. I think they will be able to handle a WC tournament.

Ehhhhh! Remains to be seen. For a country that hasn't really hosted these new, major hihg-tech tournaments, that remains to be seen. And people shouldn't be using SARS as an excuse. If they're really organized, then they should have had domestic contingency plans. OK, so what happens if SARS appears again in 2 years' time?

...we have six major cities that could host easily, and a number of other smaller State capitals and regional cities...

What are you counting as Australia's sixth major city; other then Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane? If you are counting Newcastle, you must also count the Gold Coast, as although the residential population is larger in the Greater Hunter Valley Region, the Gold Coast makes up the difference in the enormous tourist numbers.

What are you counting as Australia's sixth major city; other then Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane? If you are counting Newcastle, you must also count the Gold Coast, as although the residential population is larger in the Greater Hunter Valley Region, the Gold Coast makes up the difference in the enormous tourist numbers.

Simple _ Canberra! (and as the national capital, they'd be a cert to host at least some group matches)

And as I said, there's a host of regional centres that could step in for the other slots _ Newcastle, Gold Coast, Townsville, second stadiums in both Sydney and Melbourne and what have you?

Also, is Australia were to host, where do you think the final should be played? i think the most visable option would be to play the Final at the MCG and compensate Sydney by playing the opening match and one semi final at Telstra Stadium (other semi final and third playoff in either Brisbane, Perth or Adelaide).

Also, is Australia were to host, where do you think the final should be played? I think the most visable option would be to play the Final at the MCG and compensate Sydney by playing the opening match and one semi final at Telstra Stadium (other semi final and third playoff in either Brisbane, Perth or Adelaide).

Oh well, you're Melburnian, so of course you'd say that. I'm a Sydneysider, so you can guess what I'd say.

I'm sure we'll have to agree to disagree. Anyway, ultimately, it doesn't matter, as long as we land the tournament.

Simple _ Canberra! (and as the national capital, they'd be a cert to host at least some group matches)

And as I said, there's a host of regional centres that could step in for the other slots _ Newcastle, Gold Coast, Townsville, second stadiums in both Sydney and Melbourne and what have you?

Tasmaina should be apart of it. Either redevelop York Park in Launceston (easily accessible from anywhere in Tas) or build a new and more suitable football stadium in Hobart (Tasmanian capital and considering larger then Launceston).

Oh well, you're Melburnian, so of course you'd say that. I'm a Sydneysider, so you can guess what I'd say.

I'm sure we'll have to agree to disagree. Anyway, ultimately, it doesn't matter, as long as we land the tournament.

Well it will matter if we eventually land the tournament. Who knows, maybe Brisbane will decide to build a venue larger then both the MCG and Telstra Stadium in preparation for an Olympic bid. :D

Canberra, Newcastle, Gold Coast/Logan City/Robina/Southport, Wollongong, Mandurah/Port Bouvard, Gellong, Launceston, Gosford..... all have the potential to be World Cup cities by 2018. Except for maybe the Gold Coast, i see all lacking accomodation however.

Sydney (2)

Melbourne (2)

Perth

Adelaide

Brisbane

Canberra

Newcastle

Goldcoast

Gosford

11 stadiums.

Telstra Stadium back how it was for the Olympics would be great for the final.

I'm hoping by 2010-2015 the AFL will have another venue in Melbourne (considering 10 teams share just 3 venues). Hopefully something similar to Telstra Dome is built (ie; retractable seating and roof; with soccer and AFL in mind when constructed) so that Melbourne has a facility somewhat suited to soccer, rather then the MCG and Telstra Dome. I know Collingwood has had the idea of its own stadium ever since the Hawks started playing at Waverly.

All of those cities mentioned above will have populations over 100.000 by 2018, most, quite a bit, with the Gold Coast probably pushing 600,000-700,000.

I was surprised at the choice to use Kaiserlautern.. What about other cities like Dussendolf?

All of those cities mentioned above will have populations over 100.000 by 2018, most, quite a bit, with the Gold Coast probably pushing 600,000-700,000.

I was surprised at the choice to use Kaiserlautern.. What about other cities like Dussendolf?

To close to other host cities. That's why i doubt there would be venues in Newcastle, Gosford and Sydney (2). Probably;

Melbourne- MCG (100 000), Docklands Stadium(54 000).

City of Sydney- Aussie Stadium (45 000) or new rugby stadium (50-60 000).

City of Parramatta- Stadium Australia (85 000).

Newcastle- redeveloped EnergyAustralia Stadium (40 000).

Perth- Stadium West (complete before 2015- 65 000).

Adelaide- Football Park (55,000), or new venue with retractable seating catering for Australian rules, soccer and rugby (60 000).

Hobart or Launceston- New Rectangular Stadium or redeveloped York Park (40 000).

Gold Coast- Redeveloped Robina Stadium (40 000).

Townsville- Redeveloped Dairy Farmers Stadium (40 000).

Brisbane- Lang Park (52 000), or new stadium with 60-75 thousand capacity.

Canberra- Canberra Stadium redeveloped or entirely new venue (40,000).

That's 12 venues, in 11 registered cities. With FIFA's policy in allowing only one multi stadia city, Stadium Australia could simply be registered as part of Parramatta, allowing for Aussie Stadium to be used and for Melbourne to have two venues.

I don't think the Dusseldorf stadium was big enough.

Archived