World Cup 2014

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Argentina can

I am not sure about Argentina being capable to host under the current requirements. The country is so heavily centralized that most of the important stadiums are either in Buenos Aires or in a suburb/component of the Buenos Aires metropolitan area such as Avellaneda.

For example, this is the list of the largest stadiums in the country:

Liberti (66 449), Buenos Aires

Bombonera (57 400), Buenos Aires

Libertadores (57 000), Avellaneda (part of BA metro)

Estadio Ciudad de Plata (50 000), La Plata (province of Buenos Aires)

Jose Amalfitani (49 700), Buenos Aires

Olimpico Cordoba (48 000), Cordoba

Presidente Peron (48 800), Avellaneda (part of BA metro)

Tomas Adolfo Duco (48 000), Buenos Aires

Lanus (46 500), Lanus

Pedro Bideagin (42 000), Buenos Aires

Any Argentinian attempt on a bid would rely on expanding the smaller stadiums of teams outside the capital, which might not have a fan base big enough to fill them after the Cup. Of course, they could always go and do what Portugal did with its stadiums following Euro 04 (lots of temporary seats).

And Colombia? If the FIFA complains about the security issues in Brazil, then they should be horrofied at the possibility of Colombia 2014. Colombia, after all, its the Denver of the World Cup bids, it bailed out after getting the games for 86.

Maybe Columbia can bribe some of the FIFA voting members with some bags of a white powdery substance..lol

ColOmbia (not Columbia :D ) can host with Bogotá, Barranquilla, Cartagena de Indias, Cali, Medellín, Arauca...

BTW; does anyone know when is the next time FIFA will be giving any interested European nation the green light to stage the World Cup?

Looks like there is debate within Brazil itself over whether it;s up to hosting 2014. Havelange, though, seems certain that 2014 is set for Brazil:

Brazil 2014 debate

Interesting. The thing is, though, that some of these stadia were good enough to host the World Club Championship a few years ago. Surely, they would not take much updating. It would be the building of new stadia that would worry me most.

Also, if it is "agreed" Brazil will host 2014, perhaps FIFA should help rather than carp.

Could either Chile or Argentina host alone?

Argentina. Mmm... I'm not so sure. They are recovering for the crisis of 2001 and they haven't a lot of money but the ego of Kirchner could make him forget that and launch a bid. But, the big problem is the poor infraestructure of Argentina. In the last years, they forgot the development of the country: new highways, new stadiums and so on.

Chile. The Chilean Federation is a mess. In november there will be a new election for the President of ANFP/FFCh and probably will be elected Harold Mayne-Nicholls, actual General Coordinator of FIFA. With Mayne-Nicholls, maybe the Chilean football will be reorganized and will improve and there is a posibility of a bid. The biggest problem is also the stadiums and which cities could host the Games: Santiago is the only city with capable stadiums. The Estadio Nacional could be expanded to 80,000 and, now that ColoColo is winning a lot of money, is probably they will reconstruct Monumental Stadium. But the rest of the cities hasn't any good stadium (the only stadium that was reconstructed in last years was Chinquihue in Puerto Montt but it is very small with less than 20,000 seats). But, if there is a bid, maybe the privates could invest in new stadiums at Antofagasta, Calama, La Serena, Valparaíso, Viña del Mar, Talca, Concepción, Temuco, Valdivia and Punta Arenas.

Colombia. I don't know anything about the stadiums of Colombia but I heard about a new stadium of 90,000 seats in the outsides of Bogotá.

And last news: Dubai anounced that they may bid for 2014 and also the Prince of Jordan talked about a possible Jordan-Iraq bid (¿?)

Argentina. Mmm... I'm not so sure. They are recovering for the crisis of 2001 and they haven't a lot of money but the ego of Kirchner could make him forget that and launch a bid. But, the big problem is the poor infraestructure of Argentina. In the last years, they forgot the development of the country: new highways, new stadiums and so on.

Chile. The Chilean Federation is a mess. In november there will be a new election for the President of ANFP/FFCh and probably will be elected Harold Mayne-Nicholls, actual General Coordinator of FIFA. With Mayne-Nicholls, maybe the Chilean football will be reorganized and will improve and there is a posibility of a bid. The biggest problem is also the stadiums and which cities could host the Games: Santiago is the only city with capable stadiums. The Estadio Nacional could be expanded to 80,000 and, now that ColoColo is winning a lot of money, is probably they will reconstruct Monumental Stadium. But the rest of the cities hasn't any good stadium (the only stadium that was reconstructed in last years was Chinquihue in Puerto Montt but it is very small with less than 20,000 seats). But, if there is a bid, maybe the privates could invest in new stadiums at Antofagasta, Calama, La Serena, Valparaíso, Viña del Mar, Talca, Concepción, Temuco, Valdivia and Punta Arenas.

Colombia. I don't know anything about the stadiums of Colombia but I heard about a new stadium of 90,000 seats in the outsides of Bogotá.

And last news: Dubai anounced that they may bid for 2014 and also the Prince of Jordan talked about a possible Jordan-Iraq bid (¿?)

Jordan-Iraq bid???????????????????????????????????????

my God,the people are crazy

ColOmbia (not Columbia :D ) can host with Bogotá, Barranquilla, Cartagena de Indias, Cali, Medellín, Arauca...

It's a common mistake -- like Rumania is also spelled as Romania. So, it's just a mistake. Stop being petty. It's not like a forceps was left in your gut, mikel. :rolleyes:

Well, the whole thing about this 2014 being promised to Brazil, just wasn't thought through. 2010 will already be in the Southern Hemisphere; and then 2014 as well? So, I think FIFA is finding ways out of its faux pas to at least move 2014 to the north, and then give Brazil another 4 years, so then they can host 2018. Sepp just told me that unofficially.

stupid comment

the country is Colombia,Columbia is the DC (Washington)

****, you need to loosen up man. Why you being so critical and serious for over something that wasn't supposed to be something taken seriously. Lighten up!!

It's a common mistake -- like Rumania is also spelled as Romania. So, it's just a mistake. Stop being petty. It's not like a forceps was left in your gut, mikel. :rolleyes:

Well, the whole thing about this 2014 being promised to Brazil, just wasn't thought through. 2010 will already be in the Southern Hemisphere; and then 2014 as well? So, I think FIFA is finding ways out of its faux pas to at least move 2014 to the north, and then give Brazil another 4 years, so then they can host 2018. Sepp just told me that unofficially.

I guess he get offended by the spelling error because 'COLOMBIA' means a lot to them?? :rolleyes: who knows? and honestly, who gives a ****?

Oops, did that offend you again? I made a grammatical error at the end?

Columbia is the English spelling of the word which is usually pronounced Col-um-b-ea

Colombia is the Spanish spelling of the word, the pronouciation i know is Col-om-bea

Baron is just Romania now, the old spelling is well old

'Whether Brazil wants it or not. It will host the 2014 World Cup. That is agreed,' he said.

I find this statement completely troubling. If Brazil does not what or can not handle the WC than they should not host. There is enough problems with South Africa right now to enter another field of landmines. Brazil is a growing and changing country that should have the WC in the 2020's not in 8 years.

I think that if Brazil can not host than 2014 should be opened up to everyone. It would be great to see a China-Ausralia-USA-England-Spain race for the WC.

I find this statement completely troubling. If Brazil does not what or can not handle the WC than they should not host. There is enough problems with South Africa right now to enter another field of landmines. Brazil is a growing and changing country that should have the WC in the 2020's not in 8 years.

Yeah, I thought that statement by Havelange quite arrogant as well. I suppose he's just pissed off that Brazil never got to host while he was in charge of FIFA.

how could dubai bid for the WC? there is basically just two metropolitan areas in the UAE, both of them moderately sized. they are insane.

how could dubai bid for the WC? there is basically just two metropolitan areas in the UAE, both of them moderately sized. they are insane.

The Dubai musing is probably due to the FIFA/Emirates Airlines sponsorship deal. I suppose they could team up with the neighbours (Bahrain, Saudi Arabia) but then you run into the problem of multiple hosts taking lots of qualifying spots.

As to Jordan and Iraq!!!

:lol::DB)

Jordan-Iraq bid???????????????????????????????????????

my God,the people are crazy

I agree... even some people believe the US will host 2014 ;)

Para ñuto y mikel... como se dice el estado de Canadá? Colombia Británica o Columbia Británica? No sean tan agresivos, muchachos.

BTW; does anyone know when is the next time FIFA will be giving any interested European nation the green light to stage the World Cup?

2022 is probably the official European year, but I don’t think this will stop anyone bidding (ie; England) in 2018. 2018 will be an interesting year as China and Australia (Asia), the United States (North America) and England (Europe) already indicating they want the Cup for these years (which I believe is meant to be an Oceania rotation, though Oceania has just be skipped, for Europe, in the past).

It depends on a number of things. Does FIFA want to capitalise on new markets such as China and Australia now (and run a certain risk) or post-pone it and go with the safer North American/European options. Considering 2010 and 2014 would have been quite risky ventures for FIFA, I’d say 2018 is most defiantly going to Europe, with the US, Australia and China all fighting it out for 2022.

England would probably be the powerhouse bid in Europe, given that Germany and France have just gone, and England hasn’t had a sniff of hope since 1966. Spain has also had it somewhat recently, though Italy may be another front runner. Other nations such as the Ukraine, Poland maybe, Switzerland/Austria, Russia, Portugal, Turkey, Sweden and Greece may also throw in bids but I seriously doubt they will be successful.

It depends on a number of things. Does FIFA want to capitalise on new markets such as China and Australia now (and run a certain risk) or post-pone it and go with the safer North American/European options. Considering 2010 and 2014 would have been quite risky ventures for FIFA, I’d say 2018 is most defiantly going to Europe, with the US, Australia and China all fighting it out for 2022.

England would probably be the powerhouse bid in Europe, given that Germany and France have just gone, and England hasn’t had a sniff of hope since 1966. Spain has also had it somewhat recently, though Italy may be another front runner. Other nations such as the Ukraine, Poland maybe, Switzerland/Austria, Russia, Portugal, Turkey, Sweden and Greece may also throw in bids but I seriously doubt they will be successful.

I pretty well agree with you on all of that. The way I see it, the most likely timeline is:

2010 _ South Africa

2014 _ Brazil

2018 _ England

2022 _ Australia or China

2026 _ USA

China? China? Why do people keep speaking about China as a possible WC host? They could not even host a 16-nation, 4-city women's WC -- and you want them to host a 32-team, 9-city, 1-month tournament? Are u guys crazy? They can't even qualify for the last 3 WCs, and you think they will get it? Let them host their first commitment -- a women's WC -- SARS or no SARS, and then the world will see if they can host the larger event.

So what if they have a 1.3 billion pop? So does India.

I agree with you Baron. China NOW can't bid. Maybe in some decades but I don't see now China as a country that will beat Brazil, Australia, England or the USA. I think Asia's next host will be China but probably after 2030.

I agree with you Baron. China NOW can't bid. Maybe in some decades but I don't see now China as a country that will beat Brazil, Australia, England or the USA. I think Asia's next host will be China but probably after 2030.

South Africa isnt much different; when was the last time they qualified (if any) for the Cup? Beijing's Olympics will prove the attractiveness of an "open cheque book" event. I think FIFA will find it very hard to turn down a country which would promote football and itself with an seemingly endless supply of funds.

Even if China (or Asia) does not get 2018 or 2022, i would think FIFA would see the continent as a far more attractive option then another mundane United States Cup. The only reason why thr US qualify for so many cups is there lack of competition in the continent.

Personally, if China or Australia do not get 2018 or 2022, 2026 is almost a certainty, whatever the rotation policy.

Blatter has said he is confident Australia will host in either 2018 or 2022, esspecially if it can lift its ranking into the top20 and make at least the round of 16 by 2010.

I agree... even some people believe the US will host 2014 ;)

Para ñuto y mikel... como se dice el estado de Canadá? Colombia Británica o Columbia Británica? No sean tan agresivos, muchachos.

Columbia británica

yo no me considero agresivo,aunque en ocasiones algunos comentarios me sacan de quicio

****, you need to loosen up man. Why you being so critical and serious for over something that wasn't supposed to be something taken seriously. Lighten up!!

I guess he get offended by the spelling error because 'COLOMBIA' means a lot to them?? :rolleyes: who knows? and honestly, who gives a ****?

Oops, did that offend you again? I made a grammatical error at the end?

if you are happy with your unculture is your live...but don´t be uncouth please

Archived