World Cup 2014

Hi!

As much as I can remember, South Africa 2010 was chosen ib 2003. Then...When is the host of the WC 2014 to be announced?

Does anybody know?

Thank you very much.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi!

As much as I can remember, South Africa 2010 was chosen ib 2003. Then...When is the host of the WC 2014 to be announced?

Does anybody know?

Thank you very much.

Wikipedia says sometime in 2008.

Hope that helps :)

Hi!

Does anybody know?

Thank you very much.

2008? OK, then FIFA is giving Brazil a lot more leeway than normal. I would've thought they'd make a decision one way or another after the 2007 PanAm Games. But maybe they'll wait until they meet in Beijing in August '08; and decide then -- plus, getting more assurances too from a back-up US bid.

2008? OK, then FIFA is giving Brazil a lot more leeway than normal. I would've thought they'd make a decision one or another after the 2007 PanAm Games. But maybe they'll wait until they meet in Beijing in August '08; and decide then -- plus, getting more assurances too from a back-up US bid.

You mean backup China, England, Spain or Australia bids.

You mean backup China, England, Spain or Australia bids.

No, DON'T put words in my mouth. I could put something else in yours.

Back-ups for 2014?

China - they have all their eggs in the 2008 basket; they couldn't even stage a 4-city FIFA Women's World Cup in 2003 and they will be a back-up for 2014?

England -- I think they're dreaming more 2018. (Besides, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Belfast shouldn't count because those are NOT part of England. So they may only have 6 or 7 viable cities.)

Spain - Uhmm -- like how many new stadia & cities do they have since 1982 when I think there were only 24 teams playing?

Australia - yeah, if they'll bring down the teams to 24 for 2014!!

Get real, and maybe I'll take you more seriously.

China - they have all their eggs in the 2008 basket; they couldn't even stage a 4-city FIFA Women's World Cup in 2003 and they will be a back-up for 2014?

China lost the Womens WC 2003 because of the SARS problem, and not because they had problems with the organisation

Back-ups for 2014?

England -- I think they're dreaming more 2018. (Besides, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Belfast shouldn't count because those are NOT part of England. So they may only have 6 or 7 viable cities.)

Spain - Uhmm -- like how many new stadia & cities do they have since 1982 when I think there were only 24 teams playing?

Spain have a lot of new (La Cartuja in Sevilla,Anoeta in San Sebastian,New Carlos Tartiere in Oviedo,New Espanyol Stadium in Cornella-Barcelona,Son Moix in Palma de Mallorca,New Insular in Las Palmas,New Condomina in Murcia,etc...and some planed in Valencia,Zaragoza,Bilbao) or reformed stadia for a football WC,but don´t exists interest for a new spanish WC...

is time for Brazil 2014 and ,perhaps,England 2018...

Back-ups for 2014?

Santiago Bernabeu, one of the most famous stadiums in the world and where most of the good players of the world have played, will be renewed.

Have you ever heard about Mestalla, Camp Nou, Sánchez Pizjuán? Mmm, if Spain has something is stadiums.. B) And FAMOUS stadiums

Viable cities: Madrid (2 5-star FIFA stadiums-- Santiago Bernabeu (80,354) and Vicente Calderón (57,500), but Santiago Bernabeu will be renewed to 100.000), Sevilla (3, but if you like, only 2: La Cartuja (72,000), Sánchez Pizjuán (55,000) and Manuel Ruiz de Lopera (55,500), now, but we can renew them).

Barcelona (Camp Nou- 98,934--- Estadi Olympic Lluís Companys- 56,000)

Valencia (Mestalla (53.000), but will be renewed in the next years)

Bilbao-- San Mamés- 39,750 now

San Sebastián-- Anoeta- 32,000 now

A Coruña-- Riazor- 35,800 now

Vigo-- Balaídos- 31,800 now

Zaragoza-- La Romareda- 34,700 but will be renewed in the next years

And more stadiums of 20,00+ than we can renew...

And these stadiums are WELL-KNOWN because of Champions League. Have Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Beckham, Robinho, Roberto Carlos, Raúl, Torres, Zidane, Figo, Larsson, etc etc etc played in your megafashion stadiums? <_<

South Africa was chosen in 2004, wasn't it? 6 years before the WC.

Com'on! Stop dreaming! 2014 is for South America. There isn't any "back-up" bid, not for 2014 and not for 2010.

If you want the WC, well, fight for 2018.

Com'on! Stop dreaming! 2014 is for South America. There isn't any "back-up" bid, not for 2014 and not for 2010.

If you want the WC, well, fight for 2018.

nadie ha dicho que España aspire a la Copa de 2014,siempre decimos que es de Brasil,es el baron el que especula con que lo organice EEUU...

nadie ha dicho que España aspire a la Copa de 2014,siempre decimos que es de Brasil,es el baron el que especula con que lo organice EEUU...

Porque el USSoccer y FIFA hablaron sobre la posibilidad que el Sud Africa o Brasil si no estaran preparados por sus anos, entonces el FIFA necesita un 'back-up' sitio? No es cierto; pero es mucho dificil comprender eso concepto? <_<

...because USSoccer and FIFA have met regarding this possibility since Blatter has expressed reservations about the preps of Brazil and RSA. You guys forget that they had to move the 2003 FIFA Women's World Cup FROM China to the USA. So, what is so difficult to comprehend that a 'back-up' situation exists? Why? Are RSA and Brazil so afraid that the honors will be taken away from them? Then, they better hurry up. :blink:

Porque el USSoccer y FIFA hablaron sobre la posibilidad que el Sud Africa o Brasil si no estaran preparados por sus anos, entonces el FIFA necesita un 'back-up' sitio? No es cierto; pero es mucho dificil comprender eso concepto? <_<

...because USSoccer and FIFA have met regarding this possibility since Blatter has expressed reservations about the preps of Brazil and RSA. You guys forget that they had to move the 2003 FIFA Women's World Cup FROM China to the USA. So, what is so difficult to comprehend that a 'back-up' situation exists? Why? Are RSA and Brazil so afraid that the honors will be taken away from them? Then, they better hurry up. :blink:

is easy to understand it,I just say that Spain is not in this "war",if South Africa or Brazil can´t host the WC in 2010 or 2014 (I hope that they can) could be the USA´s time...

is easy to understand it,I just say that Spain is not in this "war",if South Africa or Brazil can´t host the WC in 2010 or 2014 (I hope that they can) could be the USA´s time...

Muchas gracias, nuto, (Sorry, no 'enye' on this keyboard.)

Blatter said that because he want to make pressure to the Organization Committee of South Africa and for Brazil... they didn't even begin to plan the bid. That's why he said that, not because they are seriously thinking of changing the place of the WC.

The problem of China wasn't about organizations... it was for a particular situation. Of course, if there is an earthquake, an epidemic situation or something like that, FIFA will change the location (in fact, there were plans of cancelling Germany 2006 in case of an epidemy of avian flu). But, I don't know if USA would be the place for a "back-up". Why don't Germany if they had "the best WC ever" according Blatter? And the stadiums used 4 or 8 years before are much better than stadiums used 20 or 24 years before.

Blatter said that because he want to make pressure to the Organization Committee of South Africa and for Brazil... they didn't even begin to plan the bid. That's why he said that, not because they are seriously thinking of changing the place of the WC.

The problem of China wasn't about organizations... it was for a particular situation. Of course, if there is an earthquake, an epidemic situation or something like that, FIFA will change the location (in fact, there were plans of cancelling Germany 2006 in case of an epidemy of avian flu). But, I don't know if USA would be the place for a "back-up". Why don't Germany if they had "the best WC ever" according Blatter? And the stadiums used 4 or 8 years before are much better than stadiums used 20 or 24 years before.

Well, then, actually, why shouldn't they Korea & Japan again? Because they want to ROTATE the event. Because it's called the WORLD Cup -- la Copa MUNDIAL. People here forget that. Thankfully, FIFA doesn't. :rolleyes:

Back-ups for 2014?

Why would we want to include Glasgow, Edinburgh and Belfast exactly? We don't need stadia outside England to stage an England World Cup.

Well, then, actually, why shouldn't they Korea & Japan again? Because they want to ROTATE the event. Because it's called the WORLD Cup -- la Copa MUNDIAL. People here forget that. Thankfully, FIFA doesn't. :rolleyes:

A fair rotation system would be acceptable, not one where confederations with fewer capable hosts get more goes at it than those confederations with more nations who can host.

Why should the USA get to host the World Cup any more regularly than England, for example, just because there are fewer nations who can host the event in North America than there are in Europe? To my mind, that's not a fair and properly balanced system.

I'm not suggesting we continue a system of every other tournament being in Europe, but what is wrong with having every third tournament in Europe and rotation around that, at least for the near future?

The problem of a back-up bid of Korea and Japan is the problem of the binationality. It worked after more than four years of work but I don't think that they are capable of organize suddenly a World Cup in less than two years for example. Germany or France hasn't that problem. Why USA hosted the Women World Cup twice? Not because America deserved it. That was because USA was the last country that hosted so it was most prepared than Sweden.

Besides, for FIFA's concept of rotation it's "America" not North/South (or CONCACAF/CONMEBOL). And the rotation between Europe and America began in the First World Cup

Uruguay, then Italy/France

Brazil, then Switzerland/Sweden

Chile, then England

Mexico, then Germany

Argentina, then Spain

Mexico (replacing Colombia), then Italy

United States, then France

Only in 2002, the rotation was changed for "other" continents:

Korea and Japan, Germany, South Africa, South America.

So, a bid for 2018 from America probably won't happen. The USA maybe have chances for 2022 or 2026.

Why USA hosted the Women World Cup twice? Not because America deserved it. That was because USA was the last country that hosted so it was most prepared than Sweden.

Not only that, but the USA is one of the world's strongest nations in women's football. Has to be a factor.

Not only that, but the USA is one of the world's strongest nations in women's football. Has to be a factor.

Why are we discussing about the 2014 WC? We all know it will finally go to Brazil!! It was only a play of Blatter... He only wanted Brazil to be more prepared!!!! :huh:

And 2018 it's Europe's turn again, baron B)

Nope, not after ZZ's disgraceful behavior on the field AND Matterazi's comments. It reflects BADLY on european soccer. WC should NOT return to Europe for 16 years after this!

And 2018 it's Europe's turn again, baron

I agree, mikel! Because it may come to the US either in 2010 or 2014! So by 2018, indeed it would be Europe's turn again!! (See other thread re taking it away from South Africa!!) :D

Archived