Greece Suspended By Fifa

Fifa has suspended European champions Greece and its member clubs from international competition because of government interference in the sport. Fifa said the Hellenic Football Federation had broken rules on "the independence of members and decision-making in each country". Fifa said that it had issued several warnings to the Hellenic Football Federation but they had been ignored.

Under the suspension, the likes of AEK Athens, Olympiakos and Panathinaikos will not be allowed to compete in the Champions League or Uefa Cup next season and the Greek national side will not be allowed to defend its European title.

Fifa has suspended European champions Greece and its member clubs from international competition because of government interference in the sport. Fifa said the Hellenic Football Federation had broken rules on "the independence of members and decision-making in each country". Fifa said that it had issued several warnings to the Hellenic Football Federation but they had been ignored.

Under the suspension, the likes of AEK Athens, Olympiakos and Panathinaikos will not be allowed to compete in the Champions League or Uefa Cup next season and the Greek national side will not be allowed to defend its European title.

A bit harsh, but at least FIFA is being fair since they did the same to Kenya a year ago. Though I am guessing the suspention will be lifted before the Euro qualification like FIFA did to Kenya.

There's not a lot of time to resolve any differences either - there is supposed to be a friendly against England mid-August and then more importantly they have to start the defence of their title on 2nd September with a match against Moldova - the Champions League and Uefa Cup will not be so long after that.

If it's not resolved it could cost Greek football millions of euros and cause an administrative nightmare for European football - how do you replace the Greek teams? How do you replace the Italian teams? It could be a very interesting season!

There's not a lot of time to resolve any differences either - there is supposed to be a friendly against England mid-August and then more importantly they have to start the defence of their title on 2nd September with a match against Moldova - the Champions League and Uefa Cup will not be so long after that.

If it's not resolved it could cost Greek football millions of euros and cause an administrative nightmare for European football - how do you replace the Greek teams? How do you replace the Italian teams? It could be a very interesting season!

If I am not mistaken the four Italian teams results will be stricken and the table recalculated.

The main issue is who will control the Hellenic Football Federation (EPO) (and the money of course).

At the present time the government can't control EPO as they would like.

Today at the parliament they will start discussing a new law about the sport federations.

Officials say that there is still time till the 15th of July to change the law in a way that FIFA will be satisfied.

Already Greek referees that were supposed to participate in intertoto were ordered not to do so. There is a problem with the Greek clubs that participate in intertoto, the friendly match with England, the Greek teams that participate in European Championships and of course the final of the Champions League next May in Olympic Stadium in Athens.

A bit ironic since today 2 years ago Greece won the European Cup!

I think FIFA should suspend all European teams after this World Cup, and move headquarters to New York, Colorado Springs or San Francisco. Yes, that would be good for the worldwide soccer movement.

Sí, sí, sí, te comprendemos... ¡Cómprate un Fary o tírate a un pozico anda! :lol: También la FIFA podía ser nómada y tener el cuartel general cada año en un sitio, o tener el cuartel en Marte, o en la Luna, o... o.... o... Pues eso: ¡Cómprate...! B)

The minister of sports today took out of the new law 8 paragraphs. It looks like the war with FIFA ended!

This was in the Kathimerini today outlining what the government had said:

Linky! Linky!

Soccer hopes are raised

Amendment to law would end EPO’s state funding; ball in FIFA’s court

Sports Minister Giorgos Orfanos yesterday amended a proposed sports law, cutting off state funding to the Hellenic Football Federation (EPO), a day after soccer's world governing body FIFA suspended Greece from international competition for allowing government interference in the running of the sport.

The move fueled speculation that FIFA's decision would be revoked, particularly in view of a statement by FIFA President Sepp Blatter earlier yesterday warning Greece to take the ruling seriously.

«This should be an alarm for the Greek government. They have until July 15 to show that they are taking this sanction by FIFA seriously and they have to move quickly,» Blatter told a press conference in Berlin.

A few hours later, the government tabled the amendment, allowing Greek sports federations to operate independently of Greek sports law, provided they forgo state funding. The bill is to be passed into law next week.

«The Greek state has taken the necessary measures to ensure such problems will not arise in future,» government spokesman Evangelos Antonaros told reporters.

Orfanos took the opportunity to criticize the country's soccer federation with whose president, Vassilis Gagatsis, he has had numerous run-ins over the past two years. «EPO does not observe the laws of the land. We want more democratic voting rules - rules that apply to all other sporting federations in Greece. If it insists, state protection will be withdrawn,» Orfanos said.

«We do not refute the laws of the state but we do reject interventions upon the self-administration of Greek soccer,» Gagatsis told a press conference in response.

FIFA President Blatter made it clear that he was aware of a clash between EPO and the Greek government. «The suspension will be an alarm and I am sure it will be heeded because, in my opinion, this is more a clash of personalities than people acting in the bad interest of football,» Blatter said.

EPO's suspension was announced by FIFA's emergency committee on Monday. If it is not lifted, European soccer champion Greece faces exclusion from international competitions.

It's impressive how an international organization can interfere in a country's internal affairs by saying if you don't agree with my rules, I don't want you in my organization.

Ela vre, ti thelei o Orfanos mesa stin Omospondia? Kalutera na min exei tin xeri mesa.

It's impressive how an international organization can interfere in a country's internal affairs by saying if you don't agree with my rules, I don't want you in my organization.

It would be strange if it was the otherway around imho. If Greece wants to be part of FIFA it has to respects its rules just like you have to respect the Greek laws if you want to be a part of Greek society.

It would be strange if it was the otherway around imho. If Greece wants to be part of FIFA it has to respects its rules just like you have to respect the Greek laws if you want to be a part of Greek society.

True, but one is a natural, legitimate society; the other is merely an artificially created entity.

exactly...!

btw...as i asked in another topic...will this affect Greek partecipation to euro2008 qualification matches?

Yes, if the FIFA doesn't lift the ban no Greek teams (club and country) are allowed to participate in international competitions.

exactly...!

btw...as i asked in another topic...will this affect Greek partecipation to euro2008 qualification matches?

If the Government sits and does nothing then yeah, they will not participate in the Euro 2008 qualifiers. But that is very unlikely because legislation is already going through Parliament and should be passed by the July 15 deadline.

Can anyone supply some info on the actual laws that have caused the problem - what are some of the key issues.

Without knowing the underlying issues it all seems a bit strange that a sporting organisation is indirectly intefering in the laws of a soverign nation.

Is FIFA > than a National Government?

In Australia, the National Government played a role in the overthrow of an ineffective and destructive Football Association that has held back the development of football for years - but FIFA did not say a word. Double standards?

I think the main thrust of it is no direct influence by a national government on a member association. So, in the Australian case, I suppose it would depend to what extent the government was involved and whether they let the new hierarchy get on with it afterwards.

Archived