2011 Rugby World Cup

Ive read that Mallard will go to cabinet on Monday pushing for at least keeping both stadium plans alive for the time being, while further research is done.

Heart of the City is also trying to refine the waterfront concept with the government.

I dont know, but i am so pissed off at the ARC. They are Ports of Auckland, it is their baby, and if they had their way they would make sure that part of the waterfront was locked off to ordinary Aucklanders for f*ckn decades.

It will take ages for it to be redeveloped, and then they will prolly only wanna put up apartments.

I just hope the govt decides to bite the bullet and just build waterfront

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said earlier, the Eden Park design is actually reasonably good - well, the one they released when the waterfront design was put out at least. I didnt like the half arsed job initially, but since they put out the revised design I was impressed.

Still, the location is shitty.

Now the funding comes into play.

We have over the last few days had wanks from the ARC and Manukau Mayor (note that Eden Park is not in Manukau City), saying that they should just use temporary seating.

The Eden Park board has said that it isnt an option, thank god.

North Harbour is the official second option, watching 3 News last night, it said they are currently working on plans for a retractable roof if they are chosen as the main stadium - again, it would be 60kpax. They also already have resource consent.

So it will be interesting to see what happens.

Here are artist impressions of a redeveloped NHS, if it was chosen as the main stadium.

national_stadium_concepts_web_small_2.jpg

national_stadium_concepts_web_small_4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

And while I'm on a roll form irrelevant Rugby stories, I liked this one as well _ I hope we get to see footage:

April 4 (Bloomberg) -- Bryan Habana, one of the world's fastest rugby players, will on April 12 race a cheetah, the world's fastest mammal, to raise funds for endangered cats.

Habana, who plays on the wing for South Africa's national team, the Springboks, and the Pretoria-based Blue Bulls, will take on the predator, at Secunda, a town east of Johannesburg, which is the site of a natural gas-to-fuel plant run by Springbok sponsor Sasol Ltd.

Habana may face a stiff challenge. The rugby player runs 100 meters in 11 seconds, or 33 kilometers an hour, according to his myspace.com Web site. Cheetahs hunt down gazelles on Africa's plains at speeds of 112 kilometers an hour, the Web site of the Cheetah Conservation Fund says.

It's a ``race to save the wild Cheetah from extinction,'' Sasol Chevron, a venture between Sasol and Chevron Corp. that produces fuel from gas, said in an e-mailed statement today.

In 1900, there were more than 100,000 cheetahs in 44 African and Asian countries, Cheetah Conservation said. Today, there are between 12,000 and 15,000 of the cats in 24 to 26 African countries and about 100 in Iran, it added.

Money raised from the race will be used to fund the De Wildt Cheetah Tracker research program, the statement said. De Wildt is a Cheetah conservation center north of Johannesburg.

Habana is not the first athlete to race an animal. Jesse Owens, who won the 100-yard race in the 1936 Olympics, raced against horses in the later stages of his career.

Habana, 23, has posted his personal motto on his Web site.

``When the going gets tough, run faster,'' he says.

Just felt like posting this pic of Dan Carter. No real justification for it beyond the fact it came up in a google search for "rugby world cup".

92e47cb40b3768e27d01.jpeg

Supposedly he is now going to be on billboards in Australia and Europe now. ;)

Reported in the Waikato Times today:

New Zealand Government is to change Daylight Saving times to start in early September 2011 and adjust the School Holiday routine to work within the RWC and allow the Northern Hemisphere Television networks to not have to market time changes.

Daylight Saving would usually start the last Sunday of September, however this would cause confusion midway during the tournament.

Also "Unauthorised" ambush marketing has been banned to protect official sponsors.

Of course this means no pitch invasions, streekers, stunts etc. Fines have increased to $5k and six months imprisonment.

Receintly the law has been lenient with fines of $500 plus $150 court costs. The new law will be strictly enforced, effective immediatly.

Personally all I can say is:

Steve-o try it out! That's a dare!

Reported in the Waikato Times today:

New Zealand Government is to change Daylight Saving times to start in early September 2011 and adjust the School Holiday routine to work within the RWC and allow the Northern Hemisphere Television networks to not have to market time changes.

Daylight Saving would usually start the last Sunday of September, however this would cause confusion midway during the tournament.

Also "Unauthorised" ambush marketing has been banned to protect official sponsors.

Of course this means no pitch invasions, streekers, stunts etc. Fines have increased to $5k and six months imprisonment.

Receintly the law has been lenient with fines of $500 plus $150 court costs. The new law will be strictly enforced, effective immediatly.

Personally all I can say is:

Steve-o try it out! That's a dare!

i guarantee some one will try it! I am happy that they are changing day light savings time

• 3 months later...

Archived