2011 Rugby World Cup

Just an update with the new stadium, yesterday the Auckland City Council formally backed the plan for a National Stadium to be constructed to host the final of the 2011 World Cup. Of course this is awesome new and one step closer. I pray this venue becomes a reality, if this all comes together then Auckland and New Zealand is going to one hell of a sporting infrastructure. 3 stadiums with capcities over 40,000 isnt too bad for a country of 4 million.

It is great to hear that Auckland City has given their backing to the stadium over water proposal. Apparently it is also thought that if the Ports of Auckland made it easier or cheaper to obtain land for the stadium, a you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours scenario could happen - with the government making it abit easier for a possible superport merger between the Ports of Auckland and Tauranga. That point is also significant in terms of the fact that some space could be made available if sectors of the Ports of Auckland business was moved to Tauranga.

I was surprised to hear there are actually a number of proposals for a stadium on the table for the committee. Saw on the news tonight a concept which see's a national stadium built in South Auckland - appearing as it is floating on the Manukau harbour.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Architects Propose Dramatic National Stadium

Auckland Architectural firm, Bossley Copeland Architects, have released their vision to build a state of the art waterfront stadium on Manukau Harbour for the 2011 Rugby World Cup, with a long-term focus looking well beyond 2011. Barry Copeland and Pete Bossley, along with a team of environmental engineers, town planners and construction advisors, have designed their stadium on Auckland’s Manukau Harbour, close to the portage route which originally linked the two harbours and which has great historical significance for the area.

The award winning architects have come up with a dramatic contemporary design, which is still at concept stage, which would use the latest state of the art technology and lightweight materials to “showcase New Zealand design.” It would become an iconic landmark on the flight path as aircraft descend into Auckland. Pete Bossley and Barry Copeland believe the site has compelling advantages over other suggested sites. The advantages are:

The site over water is a “blank canvas.” In other words, land does not have to be purchased, existing facilities demolished, or the impact considered on surrounding buildings. It is close to a major transport corridor, with easy access to rail, motorways and Auckland International Airport. It would bring much needed tourism and business regeneration to the area; It is close to one of the fastest growing regions in Auckland: Counties and Manukau. The close proximity to major transport connections and the relative lack of site restrictions will assist with the intended completion of the purpose-designed world class stadium in time for the Rugby World Cup in 2011.

The 60,000–70,000 seat National Stadium would accommodate multiple sporting codes including athletics, cricket, and equestrian, as well as concerts, cultural and special events and conferences. Seating would be flexible so that it could be removed to accommodate varying sporting or cultural events. Between the stadium and the existing Mt Smart stadium nearby, Copeland and Bossley envisage an axis for the future development of a regional sports campus similar to the Olympic Sports Park in Sydney, Australia.

The architects believe their proposal offers key cost, time and environmental (light, noise, transport) advantages in comparison with other proposals currently under consideration. In addition, the stadium would energise the urban regeneration of the whole local area, offering huge long-term benefits to local communities in terms of tourism, employment, education and commercial growth.

Local Iwi have responded positively to the proposal, with Eru Thompson, of Te Iwi Tainui, stating that the proposed plan would “catapult the region” into attracting new industry and redevelopment.

7aab0d86c873860835ad.jpeg

010b4fb08246fdd96158.jpeg

70c5aa24f35322db48f9.jpeg

d9fdb437477e0795596c.jpeg

It's an impressive project and is just the right kind of stadium Auckland needs but i worry about the location, the price tag of building a stadium in the harbour and just how long it would take to build giving the fact we have only just under 5 years until the world cup

ITs great to see many new ideas for the 2011 rugby world cup. I think that Auckland has to have a new stadium. Even with Eden Park done up it doesn't look like a real National stadium. The 3 main new stadium designs look like the standeds of Telstra stadium in Aussie. Nz is doing great for a country with 4 mil . :P

ITs great to see many new ideas for the 2011 rugby world cup. I think that Auckland has to have a new stadium. Even with Eden Park done up it doesn't look like a real National stadium. The 3 main new stadium designs look like the standeds of Telstra stadium in Aussie. Nz is doing great for a country with 4 mil . :P

yes i agree with you! Auckland Does need a new stadium! Welcome to the boards

• 2 weeks later...

NZ$700m Waterfront Stadium Government's First Choice

A $700 million stadium on Auckland's waterfront is believed to be the Government's choice for the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

The Cabinet will decide next week on the premier venue for the cup, and seems likely to turn its back on rugby's traditional home at Eden Park.

The Herald has learned from three sources that a report going to the Cabinet on Monday favours a waterfront stadium, partly over Bledisloe Wharf and partly over water towards Marsden Wharf, a short walk from the bottom of Queen St.

So the decision is close, I am guessing the government has the final say over it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we just end up with Eden Park, and hey, some of the renderings of their plans are pretty decent aswell. But fingers crossed we get a fantastic legacy for Auckland and New Zealand. Having this along side the new Vector arena, the Viaduct, Britomart and hopefully a newly redeveloped TankFarm in the near future would give Auckland the waterfront it deserves.

As usuall the Government will make a Friday announcement (10th) on where it stands. As will pe predicted, the waterfront will win.

On Campbell Live, a fiece debate was had and Rob Fisher, the man now charged with getting NZ ready for 2011 still insists Eden Park is the best venue for the Rugby finals...

And here lays the problem, does NZ tax payers fund a refurbishment of the old ground in a VERY vocal sububan area with poor transport connections and restricted use only...OR go the full hog and build an Allianz sized facility in downtown Auckland with total ease of access for all. Also geared for future use i.e. Commonwealth or Olympic games.

I've always wanted a downtown waterfront or Victoria Park stadium.

This comming week will be THE LAST CHANCE Auckland and for that matter, New Zealand gets to place its'self onto the world's major stadium circut.

I just hope we don't blow it!

As usuall the Government will make a Friday announcement (10th) on where it stands. As will pe predicted, the waterfront will win.

On Campbell Live, a fiece debate was had and Rob Fisher, the man now charged with getting NZ ready for 2011 still insists Eden Park is the best venue for the Rugby finals...

And here lays the problem, does NZ tax payers fund a refurbishment of the old ground in a VERY vocal sububan area with poor transport connections and restricted use only...OR go the full hog and build an Allianz sized facility in downtown Auckland with total ease of access for all. Also geared for future use i.e. Commonwealth or Olympic games.

I've always wanted a downtown waterfront or Victoria Park stadium.

This comming week will be THE LAST CHANCE Auckland and for that matter, New Zealand gets to place its'self onto the world's major stadium circut.

I just hope we don't blow it!

i agree i think it will be great a new stadium for auckland. We need a decent sized stadium and this is a prime opportunity!

The proposed waterfront stadium has the working title of *Stadium Aotearoa* ,although if built would most likely give naming rights out.

The architects who have drawn up the design (which hasnt been released to the public yet, but which is supposed to be similar to the Munich stadium- but 2/3 the height) are Warren and Mahoney - who designed Wellington's Westpac Stadium and Trusts Stadium in Waitakere.

2004-02-07_Aerial_131.jpg

The proposed waterfront stadium has the working title of *Stadium Aotearoa* ,although if built would most likely give naming rights out.

The architects who have drawn up the design (which hasnt been released to the public yet, but which is supposed to be similar to the Munich stadium- but 2/3 the height) are Warren and Mahoney - who designed Wellington's Westpac Stadium and Trusts Stadium in Waitakere.

2004-02-07_Aerial_131.jpg

thanks for the info! Im very pleased new zealand will be getting a new world class stadium! It is extremely overdue

Mo Rush Inc. + Soltic of New York Presents

Kiwi stadium

Capacity: 65,000

Post 2011: 55,000

kiwifernstadium3fc6.jpg

kiwifernstadium1mg8.jpg

kiwifernstadium4av5.jpg

The stadium consists of two outer layers. The first interior layer wraps around the stadium bowl which seats 65,000. The charcoal/black colour represents the colours of NZ rugby. The intricate outer layer is meant to represent the silver fern which wraps around the first layer of black forming the outer facade of the stadium. Similar to that of the beijing olympic stadium, a number of beams are constructed and raised to form the main structure. Each silver fern is then completed by connecting each of the main beams by smaller beams to represent the complete fern. The dark inner layer is able to adjust its colour/tone to minimize visual impact in the area and to fit into the waterfront setting.

kiwifernstadium6ne5.jpg

kiwifernstadium5iz2.jpg

:mellow: Oh Mo Rush...

We Wish!

Unless we get the Chinese to build it for us, I seriously doubt NZ could get the Stadium built in time.

You see, rather stupidly, we have what they call a Resource Management process...and it will take at least a year before the first sod is even turned, eating into precious construction time, It took three years to get Telstra Stadium built for the Olympics, and the IRB want to see either Eden Park or "Stadium Aotearoa" in use by the Super 14 season start 2011.

The NZRU and the Government are torn between rebuilding Eden Park (the safest option) or the expensive long term legacy option!

IMO it would be great to see the legacy option go ahead, but knowing the government, Eden Park could be prepared as a back up venue if time runs out. Heaven forbid if Christchurch's Jade Stadium is used for the final. Once that ground is finished in 2009, Jade would be pushing 55k pax and easily seat the required 60k pax.

I can tell you now, we are all holding our breath on this one...roll on Friday 10th.

Ok well we are now being told that a new National Stadium is almost certainly to be constructed for the final of the 2011 Rugby World Cup. All I can say it THANK YOU GOD!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!

Those renderings are great Mo, love the desgin. But i would doubt it would be downsized after the cup.

Ok well we are now being told that a new National Stadium is almost certainly to be constructed for the final of the 2011 Rugby World Cup. All I can say it THANK YOU GOD!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!

Those renderings are great Mo, love the desgin. But i would doubt it would be downsized after the cup.

The Ports of Auckland Chief recently came out saying that the Bledisloe Wharf option just wasnt going to happen, since then he has said that he has been having negotiations with the govt over other waterfront sites which would not affect the Port operations to the same degree. So yeah, it does appear that there is a big chance that come Friday we will get a positive decision.

Opinions just change so frequently over the last few days. Yesterday, we had Rob Fisher of Eden Park saying tha t they were confident they may have become the front runner again, while that same night, we had him coming out saying that it he was somewhat reserved to the impending fate of Eden Park. Dick Hubbard (Mayor of Auckland) was buzzing around in a chopper gushing to media about how great this waterfront stadium was going to be, and Deputy PM Michael Cullen was nearly giggling like a little school boy about it all.

I just hope we all don't get disappointed.

Well tonight's 3 News report pretty much finalises Auckland City and the Government's stand on the issue, a waterfront stadium. Not on Bledisloe, thank goodness, but right in the heart of the city next to the ferry terminal.

Farewell Eden Park as the finals venue, Welcome Stadium New Zealand.

Well, waterfront's worst kept secret is out, the government has just revealed that it prefers the waterfront option.

Trevor Mallard is just making a presentation in a building on Auckland's waterfront, with the help of a 90 second video presentation made by Peter Jackson's Weta Workshop.

In the last day, Eden Park put in a last ditch effort by rebranding their proposal *stadium New Zealand* and putting in what I must admit is a pretty dam good looking design almost completing the bowl.

10Stadium.jpg

Renders have not yet been released in the media of the waterfront stadium proposal, however it is said to be similar to Westpac Stadium in Wellington, which I hope is not the case - as Id love a somewhat unique design.

The points made by the RWC2011 Minister so far are ...

* double as a cruise centre for visiting ships

* be translucent

* have tiers of retractable seats so that the pitch could be expanded to house one day internationals.

* could be partly funded through Lotteries Commission-run events in which people could win lifetime tickets to the stadium.

The Government says it has not ruled out redeveloping Eden Park in time for the Rugby World Cup but that it strongly favours a new national stadium.

Mr Mallard said: "There is little difference between the two options in terms of cost and construction deadlines. Advice from the experts is that they both could be delivered on cost and on time.

"The Government believes that a sport stadium has the ability to contribute to the identity of Auckland and of New Zealand. A national stadium could be very much a focal point for Auckland and its landscape in the way the Sky Tower is or in fact Rangitoto.

"We believe the waterfront is the best opportunity to showcase the country and Auckland during 2011."

Auckland City mayor Dick Hubbard said he backed the waterfront stadium, describing it as a bold move, but saying "bold is good".

Translucent

The waterfront plans have been drawn up by top architects Warren and Mahoney, who designed Wellington's Westpac Stadium. They envisage a translucent 37 metre-tall structure, similar to the Allianz Stadium bult in Munich, Germany, for this year's soccer World Cup.

The Government has been advised by a technical panel led by Ken Harris the chief executive of Wellington's port, CentrePort Wellington. They believe the stadium is feasible and can be built in time.

It will require the driving of 1900 piles on which a concrete platform will then be placed. That will cost $80 million to $100 milion. Fletcher Construction are the builders and up to 1300 workers will be needed.

Mr Mallard wants building work on the stadium underway by December 2007 and is prepared to rewrite various laws to clear the way for the development.

The preferred waterfront site is over Marsden Wharf between Captain Cook and Bledisloe wharves.

The site is across the road from the Britomart transport terminal, close to buses and ferries and a 90-second walk from the bottom of Queen St.

The Government believes that the waterfront is a better position for a stadium, because of its proximity to hotels, transport hubs and cafe areas like the Viaduct. Eden Park, on the other hand, is situated in suburban Mt Eden and is surrounded by houses.

All week, Government ministers have been giving indications they seem to favour a new 60,000-seat stadium on the waterfront. Some estimates suggest it could cost as much as $700 million.

The alternative is a $320 million upgrade of Eden Park, and the Eden Park Trust Board has an assessment from its own quantity surveyors that says a new waterfront stadium could cost more than $1 billion.

Mr Mallard wants Aucklanders and local bodies to have their say on which option they prefer within two weeks.

The Government wants to fund the development through a mix of revenue raising measures, including a levy on hotels, motels and backpackers, but also special promotions run by the Lotteries Commission. Prizes could include winning lifetime tickets to the stadium.

Yesterday Finance Minister Michael Cullen, while insisting he does not have a preference, talked up the waterfront option.

He said yesterday he had nothing against Eden Park but it had limitations.

"Because it's in the middle of the suburbs you can't do Sunday night games, you can't do concerts, you can't do a lot of other things," he said.

"So it's a very constrained ground in terms of future usages."

from the NZ Herald

So I guess with the retractable seats, we now have Cricket World Cup 2015 covered aswell.

We have renders of the proposed *Stadium Aotearoa* designed by Warren and Mahoney. I like it.

stadiumday.jpg

at Marsden Wharf

stadium1.jpg

With Auckland's iconic Rangitoto Island in the background

The NZ Herald also has a link to the Weta video

http://media.apn.co.nz/webcontent/video/wmv/00stadium_nz.wmv

:D YES! absolutly.

BUT Trevor Mallard did say that Eden Park is still a contender for it's revamp if Stadium New Zealand dosen't get off the ground. I have to admit that Rob Fisher's redesign of a near bowl like Eden Park does look good, but it's far too little too late. This should've been done six months ago instead of the half baked option then going.

Anyway the government has been working on this secretly since shortly after NZRU won the RWC, both Trevor Mallard and Micheal Cullen using the decoy of the billion dollar price tag to shake off snoopers.

Another question raised is the fact that this Labour government wants to be held on par with the first Labour government in the NZ mind set. If anything, this new stadium will be it's memorial as a John Key led National party would romp home in 2008 elections if the polls are to go by at the moment. This is the Fifth Labour Government's legacy.

Mo rush is sad...my stadium design failed :(

There there Mo, you just concentrate on the bigger project…cape towns future olympic stadium

Anyway the government has been working on this secretly since shortly after NZRU won the RWC, both Trevor Mallard and Micheal Cullen using the decoy of the billion dollar price tag to shake off snoopers.

The billion dollar price tag myth came out of the Eden Park camp...which really bugs me, they come out with that knowing damn well it wasnt true and that its the kind of rubbish Aucklands would believe. For example I was talking to my father on the phone yesterday and he was going on about how the government was going to spend a billion dollars on this stadium...this is how it starts and the govt needs to be very cearful of this.

Archived