2011 Rugby World Cup

:D Mo Rush may have missed out on his design...But at least he got the area where the stadium is going to be, right. If you look at his earlier CGI further back on this thread, he sat it right over Marsden Walve.

Anyway, now that the Stadium is revealed, Talkback Radio, Sports shows and debates are raging with both for and against.

As usuall rugby is crying over the loss of Eden Park, Rob Fisher failing to realise that Eden is simply in the wrong place to be used to it's maximum potential.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Auckland 2011 World Cup stadium makes sport front page news in Cape Town

page_4424710.jpg

kind weird coincedence...cape town and auckland dropping the suburb stadium proposals for waterfront locations :)

WOW AUCKLAND MAKING FRONT PAGES OF WORLD NEWSPAPERS! I think the waterfront idea is going to be brilliant and something that new zealand can be proud of! Im so pleased that the mayor of auckland and the labour government are getting behind this and supporting a new world class stadium in new zealand

There there Mo, you just concentrate on the bigger project…cape towns future olympic stadium

The billion dollar price tag myth came out of the Eden Park camp...which really bugs me, they come out with that knowing damn well it wasnt true and that its the kind of rubbish Aucklands would believe. For example I was talking to my father on the phone yesterday and he was going on about how the government was going to spend a billion dollars on this stadium...this is how it starts and the govt needs to be very cearful of this.

london20121qw5.jpg

its fine...ive moved my design to the london olympic park

:( Remember! Waterfront or Eden.

Auckland MUST make up it's mind before the 24 of November, or suffer the ignomy of the Final being played in Christchurch!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWW! :P

:( Remember! Waterfront or Eden.

Auckland MUST make up it's mind before the 24 of November, or suffer the ignomy of the Final being played in Christchurch!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWW! :P

listening to one news tonight jade stadium dont really want the final to be staged there, i am confident that auckland will make a speedy decision and we can move on to build the waterfront stadium

Of course Auckland will be ready, probibly by THIS Friday.

The sooner Auckland decides, the sooner the pile drivers can start.

It's just such a shame Eden Park revealed it's final design far too late.

Eden can still be used for Cricket Tests, Super 14 Auckland home matches, as well as NPC games.

With cut down stands, Eden. would look really nice.

Demolishing the ground is expected to cost 20 million dollars, the ground would be pick over by treasure hunters and the pitch be sold as one lot worth 6million dollars.

Every chance that Eden Park will stay in as mentioned, cut down form, the ASB (2) Stand is only four years old, hence the reason the last ditch wrap around bowl design looks incomplete because of it. Although twenty years old in its rebuilt form, the Main Stand could be lowered, the elderly "Panasonic" stand demolished. This would leave the open "Eden Park" stand, made of concrete and not alot else either remaining or falling under the jack hammer.

And then there is the nostelgic Number 2 ground with most of the original grandstands moved there from the main over the many years of redevelopment....So much history to go, but if it has to be - so be it!

Im just concerned about some of these members of the Auckland City Council. While a minority, they seem transfixed on this moronic idea of siting the stadium at Carlaw Park. Even Rob Fisher can see that it can't be done. They just wanna make an added issue to the situation. And now dare I say it, we are going back to the petty bungling of RWC2003.

I hope King Dick gives them a good stiff upper cut, they are just trying to ruin everything.

Hopefully by weeks end we have a positive outcome for the waterfront.

I have a bad feelings that we are going to end up with Eden Park. The design of that (the new design) isn't all that bad to be honest, while not as good as the waterfront stadium - it's just about location.

I just don't think that Aucklanders will go for the waterfront option, despite the Mayor being a chief supporter of it.

The Carlaw option (which thank god is not going to be taken seriously) is stupid. And while it is only a small group of people, what they want to happen (visually, if you look at the stadium they would like to model it on) is f'ugly. That shows the mentality of some people in high places. Even the head of the old Carlaw supporters group is telling them to move on or risk f*cking everything up.

Unfortunately, I think Aucklanders (even if it is a vocal minority) dont want a stadium ruining their waterfront. What they don't understand is that it will probably mean years and years are getting the lovely view of container terminals.

It seems the only chance for quick development is a big event like RWC.

Oh well, Aucklanders can moan about getting no big concerts, and then no doubt will start complaining about the Eden Park residents and their precious demands on what happens at Eden Park.

I am not a happy young man. :angry:

<_<OH NO!!!!

Eden Park is making a late charge for the finish line!!!

A 3News phone in poll showed an overwhelmingly swing towards the old girl 68% in favor.

The stupid Carlaw Park faction showed us what their concept was...Frankly a school child could have done better!

However finance minister, Dr Micheal Cullen begin to reveal that Eden Park is the safer option AS WELL AS the cheapest of the two ( v waterfront). Naturally the Government would be prudent to have Eden Park. But they also want to leave a lasting multi purpose events centre, and Trevor Mallard hinted that the stadium on the waterfront would fit in nicely for what he called "major events sometime in the 20s" what ever that means.

If Auckland slides back to Eden Park, Rugby and Cricket would be the winners. If Stadium New Zealand, the country will win its rightful place as an International sports venue with a first class stadium of respectible size. (sorry Wellington, Westpac is just too small...and Christchurch, well Jade is just too ugly.)

Listening to various people,. it's thought that BECA group (from Eden Park) are getting all their employees to clog up the various vote lines and polls.

Not only that, but they seem to have a pretty good PR firm.

It's not being noted too much that one poll, Stadiumvote, is putting the waterfront proposal as the favoured option.

I just get frustrated by the precious waterfront inhabitants. It's so ironic that they complain about the noise and dust pollution of construction, as they sit in their multi multi level apartments that certainly didnt just appear in 5 minutes and a brief puff of smoke.

It's just another case of everyone having their own slice and not wanting anyone else to join in.

:angry: Have to agree.

The NZ Herald has firmly thrown it's self right behind Eden Park...Decreped and old like Eden Park, you'd expect that from such a negitive focussed news paper.

With only a week to go, both the Government (Stadium NZ) and Eden Park supporters are going into overdrive.

This is going to be a close run to the finish line...

Meanwhile, back to the tournament itself ....

The timing has been set:

WELLINGTON, Nov 17 NZPA - The 2011 World Cup in New Zealand will take place in September and October, the New Zealand Rugby Union said today.

The precise dates of the tournament have yet to be decided but the International Rugby Board today confirmed the matches would take place during those two months.

``We are committed to staging the best rugby World Cup possible,'' New Zealand 2011 Ltd chairman Jock Hobbs said.

``The confirmation of the tournament timing is ideal for us in terms of weather considerations and the opportunities to showcase New Zealand at that time of the year.''

France will host the sixth World Cup next year, and play Argentina in the first match on September 7 in Paris.

NZPA

Must say, I am thinking more and more that Eden Park associates have been packing the phone in polls.

Looking at another poll,. not sure if it was remotely scientific or not - but the results show a far more close race - taken from an article from stuff

poll of more than 6000 people by Buzz Channel shows those closest to Auckland are almost evenly split over the stadium options, and nationwide sentiment favours Eden Park.

Near Auckland, 44.1 per cent support a waterfront option and 45.2 per cent want Eden Park. Nationwide, 36.8 per cent support the waterfront stadium and 42.5 per cent Eden Park.

Yup, I think it's going to be an extremely close thing. Am getting sick of all these groups giving their *preference* , but who exactly decides?

Reading the paper, it says that the Auckland City Council have had a shock u turn on their preference.

Much of the council now supports a waterfront option, whereas nearly half of them last week wanted Carlaw Park.

They have, however, expressed concern for the location - and want it shifted further towards Bledisloe Wharf.

They got Auckland's urban design supremo in on the act.

Further refinements to the design have a Sydney Opera House approach, with access from all areas. A green park and a beach going on the northern edge of the stadium have now been added to the design.

Well, now we have the interesting situation where the Auckland City Council has voted for the waterfront stadium, whereas the Auckland Regional Council has voted for Eden Park.

From what I heard on the news, the feedback service that the ACC had going had a majority in favour of the waterfront (talking about public here), whereas the ARC had a 50/50 split.

I guess it goes back to cabinet, who knows what will happen.

Archived