Rio 2016

Rio de Janeiro will make official its bidding as soon as Sao Paulo Government shows its support to this candidature. They don't want to compete again inside Brazilian NOC, and they wait for Sao Pualo's OK to announce RIO 2016 Olympic bid. Also, they think that panamerican Games will ive them lots of possibilities to organize SOG. (More –in Spanish–: www.espirituolimpico.bitacoras.com)

Brazil isn't prepared to host the Pan-Am in 2007, the WC in 2014 and the SOG in 2016!!! :blink: They should focus in the 2014 WC and try with Rio in the 2020's or at least, in 2020 (6 years after the WC, when the country will have the needed money to renew the Rio infraestructure). ;)

They need to foucus with the Pan-American Games and 2014 WC first , then only they can bid

Actually, Rio shouldn't focus on anything else after the 2007 Pan Am games. The 2014 World Cup should go to North America -- so there is the southern hemi (2010); then the Norhtenr hemi (US-2014); then the southern again (2018) proper rotation, I don't think FIFA has thought this out very well.

Actually, Rio shouldn't focus on anything else after the 2007 Pan Am games. The 2014 World Cup should go to North America -- so there is the southern hemi (2010); then the Norhtenr hemi (US-2014); then the southern again (2018) proper rotation, I don't think FIFA has thought this out very well.

2014 will be in South America and 2018 in Europe. Since Argentina'78, the WC hasn't been in South America and remember: THEY HAVE 9 TITLES!

The other 9 titles are in Europe, so 2018 WILL BE IN EUROPE <_<

The USA will have to wait until they learn to play football. B)

2014 will be in South America and 2018 in Europe. Since Argentina'78, the WC hasn't been in South America and remember: THEY HAVE 9 TITLES!

The other 9 titles are in Europe, so 2018 WILL BE IN EUROPE <_<

The USA will have to wait until they learn to play football. B)

if for be the host of the WC is necessary to play well,Spain cannot be host again!

a new WC in USA could be fun.

if for be the host of the WC is necessary to play well,Spain cannot be host again!

a new WC in USA could be fun.

Italy waited 56 years to host again. France 50 years. Germany 32 years. Why should the USA host twice in 30 years... Their venues and organization weren't so good, and the level of the championship was rubbish... <_<

Brazill hosted in 1950... and they've won 5 championships, so I think they should host before the USA repeat

As much as I would love to see a Rio 2016 win and the Games finally go to 2016, I can not see Rio getting much farther for 2016 than they did for 2012....this can be said due to their dismal ranking in the 2012 race and the problems that they are having organizing other major sporting events which surely will raise the eye brows of all IOC members if they bid.....as for the 2014 WC lets hope it coems North :-)

Rio has to be successful with PAG's 2007 and Brazil with WC 2014 before they can win the Olympics. Just too many big events right now for such a city, but they will help them by gaining experience in hosting multinational events.

At this time, though, I see a race brewing in South America for who will host the Olympics first...Rio de Janeiro or Buenos Airies. Brazil has to prove itself at hosting events. Argentina has to prove it can keep its economy stable. Should be fun to watch.

Timing wise, the 2007 PanAms are good for a Rio bid _ assuming, of course, they pull them off well. But granted that, it's a great feather in their cap to present in any Olympic bid plans.

It's the effects of a potential WC that are the big debating point. On the one hand, almost simultaneous Olympic and WC hostings are, if anything, fairly common _ Mexico 1968-70, Germany 1972-74, Spain 1982-92, USA 1994-96 (are there any more?). On the other hand, as many have rightfully pointed out, the strain could be too much economically on a country such as Brazil. Personally, I think they should go for it _ there's a lot of factors in their favour this cycle which may not arise again for a while.

Brazil is a football nation they could care less about hosting the Olympics. Rio would be another Athens no one shows up

olympikfan

It's the Olympics! They will come. Could you imagine the crowds at the Beach Volleyball on Copacabana! And anyway, Rio itself is an exotic enough lure, and not too far off the beaaten track, to bring in a lot of overseas crowds.

Their venues and organization weren't so good, and the level of the championship was rubbish...

I guess this is one of those un-ending topics here. Mikel, BLATTER himself, the president of FIFA, has in not so subtle ways expressed dissatisfaction with the way things AREN'T moving in both South Africa and Brazil. So the US is there -- whether you like it or not, whether your stupid arguments make sense or not -- as a standby, and the more I think about it, it would only make sense

2010 - OK, already awarded to South Africa (southern hemispehre)

2014 - possibly USA (northern hemisphere) -- whihc would give 4 more years for

2018 - Brazil to get ready.

Duh, is that so hard to figure out -- despite your bull-headedness. THe 1994 World Cup has the highest attendance of any WORLD CUP yet, including this one -- so DON'T give me that bullsh*t about bad organization, etc. They haven't said so openly, but certainly, the US is in the backpocket of FIFA ready to be called upon for 2010, 2014 or 2018. Deal with it.

Yes, this topic will go on ad infinitum.

2010 - OK, already awarded to South Africa (southern hemispehre)

2014 - possibly USA (northern hemisphere) -- whihc would give 4 more years for

2018 - Brazil to get ready.

Duh, is that so hard to figure out -- despite your bull-headedness. THe 1994 World Cup has the highest attendance of any WORLD CUP yet, including this one -- so DON'T give me that bullsh*t about bad organization, etc. They haven't said so openly, but certainly, the US is in the backpocket of FIFA ready to be called upon for 2010, 2014 or 2018. Deal with it.

I'd say England and China are the backup countries (for Brazil 2014). Unlike the United States, football is the dominant sport in England and has recently taken over China as the most popular sport. By 2014, England would not have hosted the event for 50 years (compared with US-20 years) and China are yet to stage it. Like the USA, both countries certainly have economies to sustain a WC. England's infrastructure & transportation is just as modern and adequate as the US, and China's is improving by the day. England and China have arguably better stadiums then the US, as they are basically all recently built or renovated, and suit football more then the American football stadiums. FIFA has also hinted their interest in sending the tournament to China.

I'd say England and China are the backup countries (for Brazil 2014). Unlike the United States, football is the dominant sport in England and has recently taken over China as the most popular sport. By 2014, England would not have hosted the event for 50 years (compared with US-20 years) and China are yet to stage it. Like the USA, both countries certainly have economies to sustain a WC. England's infrastructure & transportation is just as modern and adequate as the US, and China's is improving by the day. England and China have arguably better stadiums then the US, as they are basically all recently built or renovated, and suit football more then the American football stadiums. FIFA has also hinted their interest in sending the tournament to China.

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y <_< England can host a WC now, tomorrow and in 8 years, so the first choice would be a football superpower with stadiums, infrastructure, hotels, etc a country that hasn't hosted since 1966. The USA hosted in 1994, the atmosphere wasn't good and you haven't improved in your national team or yout national league. You country is NULL at football.

PS. You are the bull-headedness <_< ¡Oh! ¡Y cómprete un Fary de peluche para que puedas dormir por las noches!

Well, according to press reports in South Africa, it seems Australia is/was seriously being considered as the back-up hosts. I doubt it will happen, FIFA are pretty committed to South Africa now, but there's also no doubt that Australia is a country that would be able to easily manage it at short notice, and with a good reputation for hostings.

Well, according to press reports in South Africa, it seems Australia is/was seriously being considered as the back-up hosts. I doubt it will happen, FIFA are pretty committed to South Africa now, but there's also no doubt that Australia is a country that would be able to easily manage it at short notice, and with a good reputation for hostings.

the report was a joke.

Timing wise, the 2007 PanAms are good for a Rio bid _ assuming, of course, they pull them off well. But granted that, it's a great feather in their cap to present in any Olympic bid plans.

It's the effects of a potential WC that are the big debating point. On the one hand, almost simultaneous Olympic and WC hostings are, if anything, fairly common _ Mexico 1968-70, Germany 1972-74, Spain 1982-92, USA 1994-96 (are there any more?). On the other hand, as many have rightfully pointed out, the strain could be too much economically on a country such as Brazil. Personally, I think they should go for it _ there's a lot of factors in their favour this cycle which may not arise again for a while.

It's the Olympics! They will come. Could you imagine the crowds at the Beach Volleyball on Copacabana! And anyway, Rio itself is an exotic enough lure, and not too far off the beaaten track, to bring in a lot of overseas crowds.

Yeah alot of overseas crowds will come just like all those overseas crowds that went to Athens. Hint Rio could be another Athens. Brazil is a poor nation. Forget about it!

olympikfan

Yeah alot of overseas crowds will come just like all those overseas crowds that went to Athens. Hint Rio could be another Athens. Brazil is a poor nation. Forget about it!

olympikfan

Totally agreed. China? They couldn't even stage the smaller FIFA Women's World Cup in 2003, and they're expected to stage the men's? :rolleyes: Go ahead, make me laugh some more, mikel -- even though u aren't actually funny. Stupid yes, but not funny.

FOLKS

YOU MUST TO STUDY MORE ABOUT BRAZIL

ECONOMIC AND CULTURAL PREJUDICE IS NOT GOOD

PLEASE READ BEFORE WRITE THE BAD THINGS YOU'VE DONE

EUROPEANS AND NORTHERN AMERICAN THINK

THEIRS COUNTRIES ATE THE MOST IMPORTANT OF THE WORLD

BRAZIL IS NOT GREECE

BRAZIL IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ECONOMIES IN THE WORLD

BACK TO THE SCHOOL AND STUDY MORE!

LOOK TO THE LATINS WITH OTHER EYES!

FOLKS

YOU MUST TO STUDY MORE ABOUT BRAZIL

ECONOMIC AND CULTURAL PREJUDICE IS NOT GOOD

PLEASE READ BEFORE WRITE THE BAD THINGS YOU'VE DONE

EUROPEANS AND NORTHERN AMERICAN THINK

THEIRS COUNTRIES ATE THE MOST IMPORTANT OF THE WORLD

BRAZIL IS NOT GREECE

BRAZIL IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ECONOMIES IN THE WORLD

BACK TO THE SCHOOL AND STUDY MORE!

LOOK TO THE LATINS WITH OTHER EYES!

I don't think anyone is saying that Rio can't ever host or anything and I don't think they are speaking out of their biases towards the region/nation but rather are merely stating that 2016 may be a little bit of a stretch for Brazil (as it would be with many other natinso) considering that they are hosting several other events in this time frame and are appearing to be having some difficulty.....most including myself believe that Rio is a beautiful city that is capable of hosting and bringing the Games to SA....but 2016 seems very questionable at this time especially after witnessing their struglles as well as with cities like Athens which were "overstretched" and lagged behind in preparations....I think Rio will host, just not 2016 (but you never know)

I've got no doubt that Brazil is able to host the 2014 World Cup. I live in São Paulo and I'm aware of the economic situation of my country, as well as the security issues. If we wanted to build a 500m-height piramyd, we would do it. If we wanted to build an atomic bomb, we would do it. But, to do these things, money that is set aside to more important things would have to be spent on these things, which are not of basic need. The same happens with the World Cup.

No wonder, there are countries that can host the World Cup without compromising these funds, like the United States and Australia, and there are others that can't host it even if all the money in the country was directed to it, like Ecuador or Peru (these countries showed interest in hosting the WC in an united project). The big shot for Brazil to host a World Cup is in 2014, when countries like USA Australia and China will be out of the way, as it's going to happen in South America. The only thing that may cause Brazil to not host this WC is the Brazilian desorganisation, but not the good spects of other countries' proposals.

The same things don't happen to the Olympic Games. Brazil has to be better than all other countries if we want to take these games to our territory, and I don't think that's possible right now. The only hope we had were the Pan-american games: if it was well-done, the IOC may give us a shot. But I don't think we're living up to the expectations: Only 17% of the funds would be made available by the federal government. But it turns out the city of Rio and the state of Rio aren't cooperating, and the federal government is paying 50% of the R$3 billion preoject. Now, the central government said they won't invest in the games anymore. I'm really afraid we'll have serious financial issues from now on, due to this decision.

So, basicly, these games which were supposed to impress the OIC are just emphasizing our desorganisation problem. But I'm still sure we'll have a World Cup in 2014

Archived