135 members have voted

1. 1. Candidate Cities:

• Salzberg, Austria
    • PyeongChang, South Korea
    • Socchi Russia

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh don't worry about them. British Columbians--particularly Lower Mainlanders--are notoriously crabby people. We have tons of water, hydro, clean air, a strong economy, and summers in particular are stunning.

Doesn't seem to prevent about half the folks here from having a permanent snark on. Maybe it's the real estate prices? ;)

Just hope that this 2014 host city will not have to go through what VANOC might have to go through, with those NIMBYs and the like.

Oh don't worry about them. British Columbians--particularly Lower Mainlanders--are notoriously crabby people. We have tons of water, hydro, clean air, a strong economy, and summers in particular are stunning.

Doesn't seem to prevent about half the folks here from having a permanent snark on. Maybe it's the real estate prices? ;)

You said it. It makes me wonder they manage their average "$1 million homes" there. Of course, I remember one forecaster of this sort said that this will most likely be the case, come Vancouver 2010.

Know about what I has thought? Certainly, Russia can be accused of corruption, in authoritarianism and so on... But IOC though has not supported the application of fascism of Georgia... People, which not достоин not only Olympiads, but also Is a pity ((( :angry:

well we just bought our first place. Right downtown, a 2BR, and it cost what a house costs if we were willing to live 20km farther out.

We're not. A very livable urban environment, just what we want. Even though we'll be subsisting on sushi, rice and beans for a few years. :blink:

You said it. It makes me wonder they manage their average "$1 million homes" there. Of course, I remember one forecaster of this sort said that this will most likely be the case, come Vancouver 2010.

I have no clue whether Austria or Korea will stage the 2014 WOG, but the chances of what seems to be this forum's favourite, Sochi, are in my opinion very slim at the moment. First check the map http://sochi2014.com/files/35646/q30.pdf, then pay attention to the news. Georgia's break-away region Abkhazia is only a few km away from the Sochi venues, and currently it seems like war again is close in Abkhazia while Georgia and Russia (whose troops are present in Abkhazia and according to Georgia is part of the problem) seem irreconcilable. The last Abkazian war was in 1993. If this conflict is not cooled down considerably soon, I cannot see how IOC can take their chances with Sochi.

I have no clue whether Austria or Korea will stage the 2014 WOG, but the chances of what seems to be this forum's favourite, Sochi, are in my opinion very slim at the moment. First check the map http://sochi2014.com/files/35646/q30.pdf, then pay attention to the news. Georgia's break-away region Abkhazia is only a few km away from the Sochi venues, and currently it seems like war again is close in Abkhazia while Georgia and Russia (whose troops are present in Abkhazia and according to Georgia is part of the problem) seem irreconcilable. The last Abkazian war was in 1993. If this conflict is not cooled down considerably soon, I cannot see how IOC can take their chances with Sochi.

Don't go by the popular vote here on this forum. It is entirely illogical, unscientific and voted by people who have barely gotten their driver's licenses, let alone are allowed to vote -- or are even half the age of IOC members who only ascend to that position until they are past 35 or 40. So, supposedly they have more wisdom. Most of the regulars here are 25 and under -- so the vote here is NOT reflective of the cumulative wisdom and experience of the real situation.

Yeah. It's so dangerous, so achieve 3,5mln of "extreme" tourists every summer.

Sochi is most safety candidate city. Russian security agencies are much more experienced. As of Abkhazia - it is peaceful, de facto independent, state with much higher quality of life than in georgia. As of 2014. 7 years left. Saakashvili term will end soon. Highly possibly that sooner than expected. Russia will not accept new stalin in the region. Russian official Saakashvili's dethronement plan is already begun - peacefuly, using western standards. However myself i'm for quick military action.

Yeah. It's so dangerous, so achieve 3,5mln of "extreme" tourists every summer.

Sochi is most safety candidate city. Russian security agencies are much more experienced. As of Abkhazia - it is peaceful, de facto independent, state with much higher quality of life than in georgia.

The couple of hundred thousands ethnic Georgian refugees from Abkhazia may not be equally content about the current status. From other places in the world (including Caucasus) give some indications what such discontent may lead to, but what do I know, I'm only an ignorant Norwegian. I by the way just read that the last armed fighting in in Abkazia was in 1998, not 1993 which I wrote earlier.

My point is of course not that Georgia poses any military threat to the Olympics or Russia, but just the thought of having a military conflict close to the games will probably be enough to scare off IOC, rightful or not. I am also of the opinion that the world of today give way too much attention to terrorists compared with for instance ordinary murders and trafic accidents, but again IOC might not agree, and given the terrorist attacks in Russia over the last couple of years (despite the experienced Russian security agencies), I believe that Sochi has a security disadvantage.

In short, I really would like to see a WOG in Russia, Russia is a big winter sport nation and I also like the Russian people (I have many Russian friends). However, I would be surprised if Sochi 2014 is the time and place.

As of 2014. 7 years left. Saakashvili term will end soon. Highly possibly that sooner than expected. Russia will not accept new stalin in the region. Russian official Saakashvili's dethronement plan is already begun - peacefuly, using western standards. However myself i'm for quick military action.

IOC will be really happy......

I am sure they are over the moon about North Korea testing nuclear missiles too....

What is the exact distance between Sochi and the border? Anyone know?

I know that geographically these areas are seperated by some rather large mountains...

wunderbaum, serbian population in kosovo was almost 100% 2 centuries ago. now close to 1%. and unlike kosovo, abkhazia now is normal peaceful, de facto independent, state. 13 years gone since war is ended. period.

I am sure they are over the moon about North Korea testing nuclear missiles too....

This is a valid point. Still, although the young Kim seems like a "loose canon", the Korean terror balance has shown itself to be stable for more than 50 years now, and ironically the introduction of nukes may make an armed conflict even less likely here. Unlike Caucasus, the area is controlled by two professional armies and not several militia groups.

What is the exact distance between Sochi and the border? Anyone know?

I know that geographically these areas are seperated by some rather large mountains...

Again, check the map of on the Sochi 2014 homepage: http://sochi2014.com/files/35646/q30.pdf It seems like the distance to Abkhazia from the media center and most of the ice venues is less than 10 km.

wunderbaum, you have not got a point. war is end almost 13 years ago. i can say same that salzburg. it's not far from germany that started WWII.

as of georgia it is in 200 kilometers behind of mountain ranges. they hardly will start any bloody war against of russia. yet it's ruled by pupet despot installed by usa, they still not animals to do anything against of olympic games. abkhazia is out of questions - it's peaceful state now for a long time.

wunderbaum, you have not got a point. war is end almost 13 years ago. i can say same that salzburg. it's not far from germany that started WWII.

as of georgia it is in 200 kilometers behind of mountain ranges. they hardly will start any bloody war against of russia. yet it's ruled by pupet despot installed by usa, they still not animals to do anything against of olympic games. abkhazia is out of questions - it's peaceful state now for a long time.

Let's keep the facts straight here, shall we:

Abkhazia fighting in 1998:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/s/w_asia/97385.stm

Abkhazia fighting in 2001

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1595847.stm

Abkhazia fighting in 2006

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5221436.stm

Maybe this is peaceful by your standards, but we are a bit more tender here in Scandinavia. I doubt that the IOC will see the relevance of either Kosovo or Nazi Germany for the current bid. I am not involved on any side of either of politics of your country or your close neighbors, or the 2014 WOG bid, so please forgive me that I will keep out of any more debate about this issue.

Let's keep the facts straight here, shall we:

Abkhazia fighting in 1998:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/s/w_asia/97385.stm

Abkhazia fighting in 2001

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1595847.stm

Abkhazia fighting in 2006

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5221436.stm

Maybe this is peaceful by your standards, but we are a bit more tender here in Scandinavia. I doubt that the IOC will see the relevance of either Kosovo or Nazi Germany for the current bid. I am not involved on any side of either of politics of your country or your close neighbors, or the 2014 WOG bid, so please forgive me that I will keep out of any more debate about this issue.

1998 - page not found

2001 - analytics

2006 - just a police raid in georgian district over a small group of georgian soldiers that called georgian officials to stop political tensions. they have just escaped to abkhazia. case is over now.

I think people in IOC are more educated in history, geography and geopolicy to ignore georgian officials and to understand that sochi is completely different place.

• 1 month later...

I know that I made this link already, but the IOC article mentioned could determine how the prospective 2014 Winter Olympics host city may have to change their overall look and preparation for the event, after winning the bid:

Link: IOC: Olympic Programme Updates

• 2 weeks later...

One month from now is the deadline for these 3 candidate cities for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games to hand in their FULL BID BOOKS to the IOC. I would love to see what is in them, never mind what changes in the BidIndex could result from it. Come to think of it, it has been a long while since it was updated at the time of the June shortlist.

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome to these forums, Ivan Couver. Well, it is now TWO WEEKS, before the three candidate cities must hand in their FULL BID BOOKS to the IOC.

wow two weeks the count down contiunes! Will be interesting to see who comes out on top

My prediction:

Pyeongchang a teeny bit ahead of Salzburg; Sochi a few (critical) steps behind. They'll all be assessed as doable, but Sochi's lack of a track record hosting numerous international elite winter sport events (esp OWG events) will be the only major difference.

Unless one of them fooks up their accounting ;)

Will they be made public immediately? If so, that means a LOT of reading to be done for us, Gamesbiders.

Archived