135 members have voted

1. 1. Candidate Cities:

• Salzberg, Austria
    • PyeongChang, South Korea
    • Socchi Russia

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They were an applicant city for the 2002 bid cycle. How serious it was, someone else (puppy?) might be able to answer, but they never made it onto the candidate city stage.

So they were at an amateur level then -- and this is the first time they are legit. So it really counts as Try 1 -- at least, in my book.

Who on the IOC has ever been to Sochi, let alone who would actively want to go there? With the possible exception of nordic, what winter world cup events has Sochi hosted?

It's not near major international airports. The Alpine resort isn't even built yet.

Not gonna happen

Who on the IOC has ever been to Sochi, let alone who would actively want to go there? With the possible exception of nordic, what winter world cup events has Sochi hosted?

It's not near major international airports. The Alpine resort isn't even built yet.

Not gonna happen

The same could be said about PyeongChang, Salzburg is the only city in this campaign that most of the IOC are likely to have visited before and this could be a major advantage for them - although it could also be argued that the other two cities could be seen as a blank canvas, they will both certainly score better than Salzburg when questioned about the legacy.

The same could be said about PyeongChang, Salzburg is the only city in this campaign that most of the IOC are likely to have visited before and this could be a major advantage for them - although it could also be argued that the other two cities could be seen as a blank canvas, they will both certainly score better than Salzburg when questioned about the legacy.

And the 2nd major fly in Salzburg's ointment is that one of its venues, the luge-bobsled run is in another country!! The 2 other candidates have all their venues within their nation's sovereignity -- so on that point alone, Salzburg should take a fall.

And the 2nd major fly in Salzburg's ointment is that one of its venues, the luge-bobsled run is in another country!! The 2 other candidates have all their venues within their nation's sovereignity -- so on that point alone, Salzburg should take a fall.

At least its beter that Melbourne 1956: They had equestrian events on another continent!

:lol:

At least its beter that Melbourne 1956: They had equestrian events on another continent!

True. However, the major difference is that I don't think that matter was fully sorted out at the time Melbourne was running for the Games. Whereas this one, really contravenes the IOC's established policy of no bi-national bids and is a known factor BEFORE the Games are to be awarded. So it definitely SHOULD be a factor.

Same could be said of Beijing 2008 _ with equestrian set to go to HK, once again it's a cawse of an even being held in the area of a different NOC.

The thing is in both those cases, as Baron said, those weren't in the plans that won their respective bids. They were slipped through after the event when the IOC was already committed tol the main hosting.

I do think the bobsled plans for Salzburg are a flaw, but not a fatal one for them.

better or not. both countries - austria and germany have visa system. getting one visa is somehow ok, but two are very difficult...

better or not. both countries - austria and germany have visa system. getting one visa is somehow ok, but two are very difficult...

As both countries are in the EU I think you should only have to apply for one visa - alternatively move to a wealthier country then you wouldn't need one at all! ;)

Of course not. But the Winter countries are already the more developed countries of the planet, so what are you talking about, coth? :blink:

Er, Eastern Europe has great winter sports development potential and current athletes and you cannot say this about those countries, which would include Russia so coth is right in my opinion

Actually, no. Pyeongchang has hosted short track speed skating, freestyle skiing, alpine skiing, ice skating, snowboarding, nordic skiing. Take a look for yourself (the first list are upcoming events; scroll down for what they've already hosted):

http://www.pyeongchang2014.org/eng/html/sub3/sub3_03.html

Pretty impressive for an emerging winter sports nation. This puts Pyeonchang waaaaay ahead of Sochi

Actually, no. Pyeongchang has hosted short track speed skating, freestyle skiing, alpine skiing, ice skating, snowboarding, nordic skiing. Take a look for yourself (the first list are upcoming events; scroll down for what they've already hosted):

http://www.pyeongchang2014.org/eng/html/sub3/sub3_03.html

Pretty impressive for an emerging winter sports nation. This puts Pyeonchang waaaaay ahead of Sochi

True, but I would still believe that most of the IOC members have not visited PyeongChang before - most of them are/were involved in Summer Olympics events anyway.

My vote goes to Со́чи. I think it will be a spectacular olympics, considering that the city is Russia's #1 summer resort, but at the same time located at the foot of Europe's highest mountain: mount Elbrus (5.642 m), that added to Russia's winter sports legacy.

True, but I would still believe that most of the IOC members have not visited PyeongChang before - most of them are/were involved in Summer Olympics events anyway.

Well, unless you've been to a candidate city before on some other business, you are not supposed to have visited it as an IOC member -- if only to level theplaying field.

Bottom line: PyongChang has bid before very well, has lined up a lot of championship winter events, they have Samsung on their side. Sochi has nothing in these bidding aspects, other than Russia has a great winter sports tradition. But that is not enough.

Well, unless you've been to a candidate city before on some other business, you are not supposed to have visited it as an IOC member -- if only to level theplaying field.

Bottom line: PyongChang has bid before very well, has lined up a lot of championship winter events, they have Samsung on their side. Sochi has nothing in these bidding aspects, other than Russia has a great winter sports tradition. But that is not enough.

Both Sochi and PyeongChang will be lesser known than Salzburg - most well travelled people will have visited the Austrian city before for either work or pleasure. Salzburg is the most well known and visited city of the three - this could be an advantage. Even though PyeongChang did really well last time, I'm sure only a handful of IOC members would actually have visited - including the 2010 evaluation committee.

I don't think the IOC will take much account of Samsung when making their decision and if Samsung wanted benefit the most from the 2014 Winter Games surely they would opt to exploit the emerging market in Sochi/Russia rather than the already saturated market in PyeongChang/South Korea.

The IOC has never awarded an Olympics based on where their major sponsors have come from before - no not even in 1996! Atlanta was just the most solid bid presented that day and Athens wasn't - it had nothing to do with Coca-Cola.

If I were an IOC member,I would conside the 2014 race to be Salzburg's to lose!

Unless Salzburg bombs for some reason or presents a really lack-lustre bid,Pyeongchang and Sochi would have to come up with some AMAZING bids to persuade me to want to go there instead! Which is by no means impossible,of course.The trouble for them is that I can just imagine the Winter Games being held against the backdrop of the beautiful Austrian city whereas I would be trying to acquaint myself with the Korean and Russian towns and trying to convince myself that I would prefer to go there instead! So it would be down to them to convince me!!

But then,I am not an IOC member! :D

The IOC has never awarded an Olympics based on where their major sponsors have come from before - no not even in 1996! Atlanta was just the most solid bid presented that day and Athens wasn't - it had nothing to do with Coca-Cola.

Uh, hello? Atlanta? Everyone called them the Coca Cola Olympics. And just like Coke, they were full of air...

But I think the ongoing suspicions for blood doping against some Austrian winter athletes, along with the infighting among Austrians in the run-up to the vote for 2010, will make many IOC members very leery of Salzburg. And rightly so in my mind. I don't, however, think using the German sliding facilities is a big deal: both Austria and Germany are Schengen area nations, nu?

If I were an IOC member,I would conside the 2014 race to be Salzburg's to lose!

Unless Salzburg bombs for some reason or presents a really lack-lustre bid,Pyeongchang and Sochi would have to come up with some AMAZING bids to persuade me to want to go there instead! Which is by no means impossible,of course.The trouble for them is that I can just imagine the Winter Games being held against the backdrop of the beautiful Austrian city whereas I would be trying to acquaint myself with the Korean and Russian towns and trying to convince myself that I would prefer to go there instead! So it would be down to them to convince me!!

But then,I am not an IOC member! :D

If we talk about historical precedents, i think that Sochi and Pyeongchang have a great chance. The actual tensions with North Korea could play a negative part on the South Korean bid. The Moscow failure for the 2012 bid can impulse the Sochi bid to win.

I would like that the winter olympics return to Asia. Honestly, i'm pissed off of the monotony of so much games being held on Europe (also the europeans are not paying that much attention to the olympics now, as shown on Torino & Athens notable low assistance to some events)

Uh, hello? Atlanta? Everyone called them the Coca Cola Olympics. And just like Coke, they were full of air...

Uh, hello? Can you hear me........? Of course many people call the 1996 Games the Coca-Cola Games, Atlanta is famous around the world for very little else - I can only think of Gone with the Wind! When Athens lost the chance of staging the 1996 Centennial Coca-Cola was an obvious scapegoat for the Greeks angry about such a milestone event going elsewhere - it was then that it began to be referred to as the "Coca-Cola Games". The Greeks thought that Coke had stolen the Games - one said that Coca-Cola had won over the Parthenon - Coke sales plummetted in Greece as the media there were full of conspiracy theories about the bid, and Coke sales took a while to recover. In reality though it was just that Atlanta had the strongest bid that year and the Athens weren't considered ready at that point.

When Atlanta first conceived the idea of staging the Summer Games Coca-Cola was one of their first contacts, but they told them not to bother - because Coke is so much associated with Atlanta they knew it wouldn't be seen as being neutral and they feared the boycott of Coke products among the other campaigning cities.

Uh, hello? Still there...? Samsung isn't associated with the PyeongChang region of South Korea as much as Coke was to Atlanta, but they will still avoid so much overt support as their worldwide market is more important to them than having the Olympics on their own door step. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung executives are actually against a bid as it does have the potential to be very damaging to their corporation's reputation and their sales should their city win (as Coke found out after the 1996 result) - and it doesn't really offer a greater number of marketing opportunities for a premier sponsor than having the Games anywhere else - they are MULTI-national companies afterall.

Archived