Who Do You Think Will Win 2014?

SOlympiadsW

Who will win 2014?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Candidate Cities:

• Salzberg, Austria
    • PyeongChang, South Korea
    • Socchi Russia

And this is all to the good as it makes each candidate city work that little bit harder to justify landing the coveted prize!

Remember too that phone-voting will weigh in next year. T-Mobile has paid the IOC a multi-million dollar fee, and phone-in votes for bid cities will begin next year. I believe the in'tl phone vote will account for 55% of the vote vs. the remaining 45% for the IOC members.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me I hope Sochi wins 2014 and I expect Harbin 2018. If Pyeongchang didn't win 2014, my opinion is Harbin have more chances for 2018.

Of course, that depends on a successful Beijing2008 and Harbin2009. :)

ni hao ma?

Remember too that phone-voting will weigh in next year. T-Mobile has paid the IOC a multi-million dollar fee, and phone-in votes for bid cities will begin next year. I believe the in'tl phone vote will account for 55% of the vote vs. the remaining 45% for the IOC members.

:lol:

But what if IOC members phone-in as well? They'd be getting two votes! That's not fair!! ;)

Oh, it's unlimited calling. The point is to rack up all those paid minutes at Int'l rates!! That's why I think PyongChang will be way ahead.

Do you think they will be extend the scheme to Gamesbids.com so that premium members can vote online? B)

No one makes money voting online.

Gamesbids might,if millions of Olympic crazed computer nerds from all over the world paid to become premium members so they could vote online! And the IOC would make money by selling on-line voting rights to Gamesbids! :)

Make it even more fun. As well as voting "for" cities, you can also the Big Brother thing and vote for bids to be eliminated.

Jacques Rogge voiceover:

"It's time to leave the house ... PyeongChang!"

Or you could do it in the format of "The Weakest Link" and have Jacques Rogge do the Anne Robinson bit and ask awkward and sarcastic questions to the bid team from each candidate city!

Then the cities could vote among themselves to decide which one was the weakest link in each round with Rogge announcing after each vote," Sochi...you ARE the weakest link.Goodbye!"

The final two candidate cities would have to answer five questions each on which members of the IOC are most susceptible to bribery.The one with with the most correct answers is declared the winner!

Rogge then turns round to the camera and announces,"Salzburg you are tonight's winner and you will go on to host the 2014 Winter Olympic Games.Pyeongchang...YOU leave with nothing!! Join us again in two years time for the next exciting edition of "Weakest Olympic Bidder".Goodbye (and winks to camera)!

I think Sochi stands a good chance but has more work to do than the other cities. Sochi can win. Does anyone completely discount the chances?

I do. First-time winter cities (unless you are backed by a Samaranch) rarely win on their first try. You have to have a bidding track record. And you (Sochi) are up against a tenacious 2nd-timer who did very well the 1st time around -- almost snatching 2010 from the eventual winner, Vancouver. Do NOT discount the come-back abilities of the runner-up from the previous round.

I do. First-time winter cities (unless you are backed by a Samaranch) rarely win on their first try. You have to have a bidding track record. And you (Sochi) are up against a tenacious 2nd-timer who did very well the 1st time around -- almost snatching 2010 from the eventual winner, Vancouver. Do NOT discount the come-back abilities of the runner-up from the previous round.

OK I see your point and I dont think there is any underestimation.

Sochi is NOT a first time bidder - people should get their facts right in this OK?

Archived