135 members have voted

1. 1. Candidate Cities:

• Salzberg, Austria
    • PyeongChang, South Korea
    • Socchi Russia

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope Salzburg and Sochi are the favorites. Because the favorites rarely get it -- and PyongChang will slip in out of the radar and steal it from Salz & Sochi.

Again, it's simple: Austria can't get it for a 3rd time; Sochi hasn't paid its dues; and PY has that other "S" behind it -- Samsung, the one who pays for the Global Torch relays and the giant screens at the Olympic venues.

Numerology and history says Sochi will win.

These are the XXII Olympic Winter Games. Moscow hosted the Games of the XXII Olympiad, making it a Russian city that succeeded a Canadian city as host.

The other two countries are close, but no cigar.

Austrians hosted the Winter Games in the same year Canadians hosted the Summer Games.

Koreans hosted the Summer Games in the same year Canadians hosted the Winter Games.

:)

Numerology and history says Sochi will win.

Perhaps with a helping hand from the former IOC president as well?

I voted for Salzburg because I think it would be such a beautiful and historic setting for the Winter Games and I guess many other people support it for the same reason.But if it is shaping up to be "the Paris" of the 2014 contest,then it might just end up like the real Paris did!

Politics could come to the fore again and old JAS might decide that it is time to pay back the Russians for their support for Madrid in the 2012 vote (which put the Spanish capital ahead in the second round and almost got them into the final).If he still possesses the leverage he did then (and who's to say that he doesn't),we may see some powerful and effective backstairs lobbying on Sochi's behalf,courtesy of the well-oiled Samaranch machine!

So,while my heart says Salzburg,my brain has begun to suspect that Sochi may just pull it off!! B)

Perhaps with a helping hand from the former IOC president as well?

I voted for Salzburg because I think it would be such a beautiful and historic setting for the Winter Games and I guess many other people support it for the same reason.But if it is shaping up to be "the Paris" of the 2014 contest,then it might just end up like the real Paris did!

Politics could come to the fore again and old JAS might decide that it is time to pay back the Russians for their support for Madrid in the 2012 vote (which put the Spanish capital ahead in the second round and almost got them into the final).If he still possesses the leverage he did then (and who's to say that he doesn't),we may see some powerful and effective backstairs lobbying on Sochi's behalf,courtesy of the well-oiled Samaranch machine!

So,while my heart says Salzburg,my brain has begun to suspect that Sochi may just pull it off!! B)

Samaranch v. Samsung? I don't think JAS can command a decisive block anymore. The ones whom, I think, he can wield influence to go Sochi's way, would already be leaning towards Sochi anyway. So I think and HOPE the old fop just gets out of the way.

Boring games in Austria are really interesting to someone?

"Boring !?!?" :blink:

:unsure: ... Why on earth do you feel that way? :huh:

I think Salzburg has an excellent chance in 2014 ~

snow-covered%20old%20city.jpg

Eiskalt.jpg

salzburg.jpg

~~ B)

Salzburg is a beautiful city and a city that the IOC knows will provide a successful Games - I don't believe that Innsbruck 1976 is an argument against another Austrian Games, especially as these Games were awarded to another city that decided they didn't want them and Innsbruck stepped forward and organised them. I also believe that the city of Salzburg fits more comfortably in a list that recently includes Turin and Vancouver - both world famous cities.

Sochi could be the perfect opportunity to reward Russia for its constant high achievement in Olympic sport without risking the more valuable Summer Games, PyeongChang would be the first Asian Olympics outside Japan - but who had heard of either of these towns before they bid for the Olympics - with IOC members unable to visit candidate cities this offers a boost to Salzburg as I'm sure most IOC members would have visited and seen for themselves how attractive it is. It just depends upon how much the IOC want to reward the Russians or want another Winter Games in Asia.

If 1 or 2 of those new Russian billionaire/oil conglomerates steps forward and buys an IOC-TOP sponsorship or 2, then it might go Sochi's way. But what has Sochi done in terms of being on the skiing World Cup circuit or that sort of thing? I mean, Sochi hasn't paid its dues in that regard. I think the PC sites have those in their pipeline.

I don't tink Pyonchang will get 2014, but they will be strong contenders for 2018 (with the games coming back to North America in 2022 or, more likely, 2026). Historicly, Europe get one out of two winter Olympics (excluding Nagano-Salt Lake City) so that clearly advantage Salzbourg and Sochi. Salzbourg is, for me, the front runer. The city have ritch history (Mozart, anyone?) and is just beautyfull. I also belive that Salzbourg hase the strongest thecnical bid. Sochi, meanwhile, is a total unknown to the IOC (I don't remember the last time they have bid) but again it is undeniable that Rusia totaly deserve an Winter Olympic game, and that lone fact should help them alot. Finaly Pyonchang is, in my opignon, a clear outsider. Not only the city is outside of Europe (and that should hurt them a lot) but, in my opignon at least, it seme to have the weakest snow sites of all three city, and that ultimitely cost PC a victory in 2010.

So for me, Salzbourg should win with Sochi in second, but it is still very early in the race and an upset would all but surprise me.

Corruption? Mr. Kim securing votes from IOC members from Africa and Asia who could give a hoot where the Winter Games go? European members who wanted to line their bids for 2012? American members who wanted to help out NYC, Havana or Rio?

"Boring !?!?" :blink:

:unsure: ... Why on earth do you feel that way? :huh:

I think Salzburg has an excellent chance in 2014 ~

snow-covered%20old%20city.jpg

Eiskalt.jpg

salzburg.jpg

~~ B)

Boringly - because the place is boring. To winter Olympiad for a long time it is already close in the Western Europe! What can be more predicted (in bad sense) and less interesting than Olympiad in Salzburg? Only Olympiad in Germany!!!

contact-us_header.jpg

I don't tink Pyonchang will get 2014, but they will be strong contenders for 2018 (with the games coming back to North America in 2022 or, more likely, 2026). Historicly, Europe get one out of two winter Olympics (excluding Nagano-Salt Lake City) so that clearly advantage Salzbourg and Sochi. Salzbourg is, for me, the front runer. The city have ritch history (Mozart, anyone?) and is just beautyfull. I also belive that Salzbourg hase the strongest thecnical bid. Sochi, meanwhile, is a total unknown to the IOC (I don't remember the last time they have bid) but again it is undeniable that Rusia totaly deserve an Winter Olympic game, and that lone fact should help them alot. Finaly Pyonchang is, in my opignon, a clear outsider. Not only the city is outside of Europe (and that should hurt them a lot) but, in my opignon at least, it seme to have the weakest snow sites of all three city, and that ultimitely cost PC a victory in 2010.

So for me, Salzbourg should win with Sochi in second, but it is still very early in the race and an upset would all but surprise me.

The beauty of Salzburg will never be compared to beauty of Sochi!! What can be better than mountains? Only mountains and the sea!!!! And Mozart? Whether Austria possesses any other brand? Or only this?)))))))))))

media_header.jpg

I didn't realize Salzburg had their bob/luge/skeleton venue on the German side. Uh-uh. That's going to sink it. The Winter Games are small enough so that one shouldn't have to go outside of the host country's borders to fully stage it. Why split it between 2 countries, when the Games can be all held in 1 country -- so either Korea or Russia?

There goes any hopes of Korea AND Russia! ;)

On bobsled Salzburg plans to spend competitions on an old line to Germany??? Anything surprising - all is ready - though tomorrow spend games!!!)))) it is creditable!!! Great compactness besides!)))

supporters_header.jpg

I love how these races bring out the crazy arguments like how beauty and landmarks and celebrities impact the Olympic bidding process.

You're completely mistaken if you think that the aesthetics of a city have no influence over the IOC's choice of a city. Why else would so much of each candidate city's presentation focus on the beauty of their city? Why else would candidate cities develop ideas like playing beach volleyball under the Eiffel Tower or the triathlon across Sydney Harbour? Olympic selection is primarily about the best bids and each of the details but the appeal towards a particular city will undoubtedly be influenced by its architectural and natural beauty.

Of course it's also the type of place that the IOC members want to visit, I'm sure they'd approve of an attractive city over a bland one if both bids were of a similar standard - despite a good bid the UK was told by the IOC to bid with London rather than Manchester.

;) I am with Sochi. The Russian Federation, as a WOG power, should host its first Winter Games.

Archived