135 members have voted

1. 1. Candidate Cities:

• Salzberg, Austria
    • PyeongChang, South Korea
    • Socchi Russia

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, last time eastern europe hosted olympic games in 1984. asia - in 1998 plus one will be in 2008. so i think asia could wait till next time indeed. and of course western europe needs a break, especially considering london 2012...

I guess Pyeongchang will be a strong contender for Salzburg at next year's host city election. Sochi is just another concession to the Russian lobby.

At the end, we could have another surprise -- just as in Singapore last year: So my guess is that not the highly-favoured Salzburg wins but "outsider" Pyeongchang.

On the one hand, it would be sad for us Germans if Salzburg lost (since the Bavarian Königsee would be the bob, luge and skeleton venue for Salzburg) but on the other hand it would offer the opportunity for Munich to bid for 2018.

Nevertheless, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Salzburg.

Now that we know the official list of Cashortlist for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games race, who do you think will win in Guatemala City next July?

sorry about that, I notcied those mistakes after (you can't fix poles)...but you knew what I was talking about

I don't think it will be Europe either (and shouldn't be)....I think it will be PC's to lose

Salzburg is the frontrunner but history proves the frontrunner does not always win. I believe Sochi will build up steam towards the vote and pull off a shocker and give Russia their first Olympic Winter games. Who would have thought such a winter sports power never hosted a Winter Olympics. Maybe its time they get one.

Pyeongchang, and rightly so. Great bid, proven track record holding major events, and came oh so close for 2010. To award to anyone else, unless some flaws are uncovered, would be stoopid on the IOC's part.

And Asia's first non-Japanese Olympic Winter Games.

On the one hand, it would be sad for us Germans if Salzburg lost (since the Bavarian Königsee would be the bob, luge and skeleton venue for Salzburg) but on the other hand it would offer the opportunity for Munich to bid for 2018.

I didn't realize Salzburg had their bob/luge/skeleton venue on the German side. Uh-uh. That's going to sink it. The Winter Games are small enough so that one shouldn't have to go outside of the host country's borders to fully stage it. Why split it between 2 countries, when the Games can be all held in 1 country -- so either Korea or Russia?

Besides, in terms of local populace support -- PyongChang's figures have been consistently higher than those of Salzburg.

I didn't realize Salzburg had their bob/luge/skeleton venue on the German side. Uh-uh. That's going to sink it. The Winter Games are small enough so that one shouldn't have to go outside of the host country's borders to fully stage it. Why split it between 2 countries, when the Games can be all held in 1 country -- so either Korea or Russia?

Salzburg is so close to Germany that I think it makes perfect sense to stage the sliding events at an already established German course. The border is also unsecured between the two countries so it isn't a problem, at all, to have a venue in Germany. I think Sochi might pull an upset, but I'm pulling for Salzburg! It would be such a picturesque location for the Winter Olympics!

It will be a close race, but Salzburg will edge out and defeat Sochi on the second ballot. PyeongChang will do ok on the first ballot but will be a few votes shy of Sochi, with Salzburg coming close to victory on the first.

It will be a close race, but Salzburg will edge out and defeat Sochi on the second ballot. PyeongChang will do ok on the first ballot but will be a few votes shy of Sochi, with Salzburg coming close to victory on the first.

Yea definatley! But i think it will be PyeongChang and Salzbury in the second ballot with Salzburg winning

Salzburg. The concept is greatly improved from 2010 and the Austrians have shown their commitment in building new venues and improving infrastructure. As long as their bid presentation isn't as awful as Paris....

As for PyeongChang and Sochi, sure there's a chance, since they are there and the concepts are decent. I think Sochi has the current regional instablility to its discredit and PyeongChang's bid could still get better.

For me, I think it will be the battle of the "first-timers": PyeongChang and Sochi. Even though I would like to see Austria host a Winter Olympics in my lifetime, I will have to say the same with Germany, Sweden and Switzerland as well and as examples.

PyeongChang seems to be wanting to prove itself as a Winter Olympics host by hosting various champiosnships in winter sports by the time Vancouver 2010 comes so far.

For Sochi, it kind of reminds me of how Calgary tried to get the FIRST Winter Olympics for it and the country in many ways. One of the major differences between this Russian bid and past Canadian bids is of the number of them.

Really to anybody the Western Europe passed up and down or shouting about itself at all corners, but not too yet has not bothered representing that such winter kinds of sports South Korea?

Boring games in Austria are really interesting to someone?

In this sense Korea looks more preferably, but nevertheless not so, Russia is how much preferable! Russian always were able to make a holiday - especially if it is necessary, and all world looks at them. So it is absolutely exact - games in Russia would be the most remembered from all three variants, especially it there could be first winter games of Great Winter Power!

I both hands for Sochi but who knows how all will be actually? _)))

Forgive for English language... To us, to Russian there is no time to learn normally it - it is necessary to banish bears from black caviar!)))))))))))

sochi-the-city_header.jpg

Although I would like to have Salzburg win, I believe it would be Sochi, it is a VERY russian feeling logo and website. Which is cool! I like it, and they never host the winter games, SUN and SNOW seems to be their theme...ok, I changed my mind...I want Sochi to win.

Why do they have a star in their logo? Sno-flakes have 6 points don't they? ooo bid logos... I like it, i really do, I'm just anaylyzing, and misspelling words. I just wonder if the logo will stick.

Archived