Who Do You Think Will Win 2014?

SOlympiadsW

Who will win 2014?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Candidate Cities:

• Salzberg, Austria
    • PyeongChang, South Korea
    • Socchi Russia

Meanwhile, when the climax is about to come about which city will be the 2014 Winter Olympics' home, the OCOG of Beijing 2008, Vancouver 2010 and London 2012 will be at Guatemala City, too, for the 119th IOC Session. Their main roles will be to report to the IOC on their progress in preparing for their respective Olympic Games.

Link: IOC: Playing Games

ARTP_2212_840_big.jpg

The IOC Executive Board Already At Guatemala City

ARTP_2212_841_big.jpg

The BOCOG Executive VP and Secretary-General, Wang Wei, in behalf of Beijing 2008

ARTP_2212_842_big.jpg

Former Canadian IOC member and current VANOC board of directors member, Charmaine Crooks, with John Furlong, chief executive of VANOC, in behalf of Vancouver 2010

ARTP_2212_843_big.jpg

Jackie Brock-Doyle: LOCOG director of communications and public affairs, in behalf of London 2012

ARTP_2212_844_big.jpg

Current Members of the IOC Executive Board

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to this Globe and Mail article, John Furlong of VANOC has something to say about the 2014 Winter Olympics host city decision, as he is in Guatemala City to give the IOC updates on how Vancouver is preparing for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

Link: Globe And Mail: Decision On Host For 2014 Winter Games Comes Down To The Wire

See what I mean, from answering from another topic? The International Herald Tribune has put this article out only about one hour ago!

Link: International Herald Tribune: A Glance At The IOC Vote For The 2014 Winter Olympics

Another latest one, as an add-on, that occurred just about 30 minutes ago!

Link: International Herald Tribune-> Down To The Wire: 3 Cities Face Vote For 2014 Winter Games

Quote from the article: "Reward Russia with its first Winter Olympics? Take the games to a new Asian market in South Korea? Or return to the Austrian Alps for the first time in nearly 40 years?"

At the IOC HQ, it is decision day. For now, it has put this latest article about Jacques Rogge at Guatemala City.

Link: IOC: A Warm "Bienvenida" For The IOC Members

ARTP_2220_855_big.jpg

A presidential visit

From left to right: President of the Guatemalan Olympic Committee Fernando Beltranena, President of the Guatemala Session Organising Committee Willi Kaltschmitt Luján, IOC President Jacques Rogge and the President of Guatemala Óscar Berger at the National Palace of Culture.

ARTP_2220_856_big.jpg

IOC President Jacques Rogge with Rigoberta Menchú Tum, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1992.

ARTP_2220_857_big.jpg

IOC President Jacques Rogge places a white rose on the Monument of Peace.

ARTP_2220_858_big.jpg

President Rogge was recognised for the peace-promoting role of sport in general and the Olympic Games in particular.

ARTP_2220_859_big.jpg

The National Palace of Culture in Guatemala City

ARTP_2220_860_big.jpg\

President Berger awarded Jacques Rogge with the Orden of Quetzal.

Okay. I do not know about this, but has the "mud pies" come out, ready to be symbolically thrown? It seems, according to this article, the Austrian PM is accusing his rival bids of "being excessive." He had a particular target, in form of the ice rink set up outside the IOC Session venue which was set up by the Sochi 2014 team.

Link: Chicago Tribune: Austrian Chancellor Takes Dig At Russia's 2014 Winter Olympic Bid

Okay. I do not know about this, but has the "mud pies" come out, ready to be symbolically thrown? It seems, according to this article, the Austrian PM is accusing his rival bids of "being excessive." He had a particular target, in form of the ice rink set up outside the IOC Session venue which was set up by the Sochi 2014 team.

Link: Chicago Tribune: Austrian Chancellor Takes Dig At Russia's 2014 Winter Olympic Bid

I bet they wouldn't be whining if they'd thought of it first!

More IOC news from Guatemala City.

Link: IOC-> Olympic Values: More Important Than Ever

Again, within the link above, hear and/or see what Jacques Rogge has to say there.

1. ARTP_2218_861_big.jpg

The Opening Ceremony of the Session

2. ARTP_2218_862_big.jpg

IOC President Jacques Rogge

3. ARTP_2218_863_big.jpg

The Opening Ceremony of the Session - Some Cirque Moments

Is there any footage of the Opening Ceremony? I was hoping for an "Apocalypto" theme with human sacrifices and beating hearts being ripped out of losing bid team leaders' chests!

Not that I'm aware yet. However, you and I should look at the official IOC website frontpage for more information about it.

Another article about 2014 Winter Olympics decision day, which is today, compliments of Bloomberg.

Link: Bloomberg.com: Olympics 2014 Bidding Too Close To Call Entering Final Day

logo.gif

As of this post, it is about less than 15 hours to go and counting. And, yes, the GamesBids.com BidIndex is used here.

Less than 12 hours now. I'll repeat this link as before in that top topic in this forum.

Link: IOC-> Live Webcast: 2014 Candidate Cities' Presentations And Election

Wednesday 4 July 2007 (local time in Guatemala City)

9:00 - 9:15 Opening of the 119th IOC Session - Followed by the presentations of the 2014 Candidate Cities

Westin Camino Real (Gran Salón Real)

9:15 - 10:15 Presentation by Sochi

(Watch Live!) Westin Camino Real (Gran Salón Real)

10:30 - 11:00 Press Conference by Sochi

Westin Camino Real (Izabal)

10:45 - 11:45 Presentation by Salzburg

12:00 - 12:30 Press Conference by Salzburg

12:15 - 13:15 Presentation by PyeongChang

13:30 - 14:00 Press Conference by PyeongChang

15:30 - 16:00 Election of the 2014 Host City for the XXII Olympic Winter Games

(Watch Live!) Westin Camino Real (Izabal)

17:00 Announcement Ceremony of the Host City of the XXII Olympic Winter Games

(Watch Live!) Real Intercontinental (Robles I et II)

18:30 Signature of the Host City contract followed by the joint IOC/Host City Press Conference

(Watch Live!) Westin Camino Real (Izabal)

If you guys were counting, it is now 2 hours to go, before the 119th IOC Session officially opens. 15 minutes later after that, the Sochi 2014 team will present its final presentation.

Unfortunately the press-conferences won't be broadcasted

Uh, okay, but did you forget that the IOC main website will have the press conferences live from its frontpage?

Based on what I've read this morning, if the vote were held a couple of months ago, I'd give the edge to Salzburg. However, at this point, they just don't have the momentum. The doping scandal isn't supposed to have any effect, but you know the IOC members will have that in the back of their minds. Their bid's technically solid and probably superior, but the emotional portion (public support, etc.) just isn't there.

That being said, I'm giving the edge to Pyeongchang. Sochi has a good bid as well, but Pyeongchang has had longer to finely tune their bid. They came too close to winning last time to not win this time. Of course, the IOC is way too unpredictable to make a solid prediction.

For those who have just started reading this topic, the Sochi 2014 bid final presentation is underway by live webcast. As of right now, the president of the Russian Federation, Vladimir Putin, is speaking to the IOC membership.

It is now less than an hour, before the Salzburg 2014 bid team will step to the podium to showcase their reasons for the Austrians to host the Winter Olympics again by live webcast.

I guess this poll was accurate. 1.Sochi, 2.Pyeongchang, 3.Salzburg

Was the general consensus during the 2012 Olympic race accurate like this poll? Does anyone remember?

I doubt it. I think most of us wanted Paris to win then. So, having this poll accurate eerily like that is just amazing to me. Are we GB members good or what? :)

Archived