2016 (seriously)

Hello. I'm new here. I'm from Manila, the Philippines.

Having a summit or int'l conference is TOTALLY different from hosting the Olympics. Manila has hosted a UN Int'l conference or 2; two Miss Universes -- but even it is savvy enough to realize that it is NOT Olympic host city-material.

I agree to this! Manila---or any other city in the Philippines for that matter---will never be capable of hosting the Olympics.

Anyway, I think Chicago is the frontrunner as of now. However, it's going to be a tight race as Tokyo seems to be very determined to win the bid too. Strong bids from the South American and token (two) European cities will spice up the race (no Moscow 2012-ish bids here). Middle Eastern cities will have to wait until after 2020.

The 2016 shortlist is probably going to be the most competitive one we'll get to see.

Never say never. Twenty years ago, practically no one could imagine India hosting the Olympics; now it looks like a very strong contender for the 2020 games and beyond.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never say never. Twenty years ago, practically no one could imagine India hosting the Olympics; now it looks like a very strong contender for the 2020 games and beyond.

The immediate concern for Manila (among a lot of other things) is that there's no space for infrastructure. It's either we wipe out an existing district or municipality in Metro Manila or hold it in another region or island. Neither options are viable even in the long run. There's ample space in the provinces surrounding Manila (off-off-off-city centre), but its all suburbia, industrial areas, and farmland there.

In any case, I'd give the Philippines 50 to 80 years before it can start considering answering that application questionnaire. In the meantime, I'll just imagine how the opening ceremony will look like. :lol:

But yeah, India could be shortlisted as early as 2020. While I'm sure it will submit a bid for 2016, it probably won't make the shortlist. The 2016 bids of the other Asian cities should be very interesting too. For example, Qatar and Bangkok.

Despite its ho-hum status in the field of athletics, I think Dubai will still submit a bid. They've been very adventurous with their infrastructure projects; why not also try out for the 2016 Olympics? I sense that they will propose building a man-made Olympic island in a man-made lake inside a man-made climate-controlled dome. :blink:

Hello Everyone!

I'd just like to add my two cents worth:

Many cities have been flying around this board, but there is one city I think a lot of you are dismissing out of hand too easily. Toronto will most likely run for 2016, if not 2016 for sure 2020. I am hoping that it will be 2016! Following the trends of the IOC can be hazardous, tricky and even unexpected. We should forget about things like IOC trends and such. Each city should be judged on its merits. Toronto lost for 2008 because of backdoor politics. Now with Samaranch gone(sorry for the spelling) hopefully the IOC will be able to vote cleanly. The old IOC of power brokers are almost gone, I hope. Don't discount Toronto, it can compete with any US city (sorry Chicago, SF) and win.

TORONTO 2016!!!!

Hello Everyone!

Many cities have been flying around this board, but there is one city I think a lot of you are dismissing out of hand too easily. Toronto will most likely run for 2016, if not 2016 for sure 2020. I am hoping that it will be 2016! Following the trends of the IOC can be hazardous, tricky and even unexpected. We should forget about things like IOC trends and such. Each city should be judged on its merits. Toronto lost for 2008 because of backdoor politics. Now with Samaranch gone(sorry for the spelling) hopefully the IOC will be able to vote cleanly. The old IOC of power brokers are almost gone, I hope. Don't discount Toronto, it can compete with any US city (sorry Chicago, SF) and win.

TORONTO 2016!!!!

It has already been announced that Toronto will not bid for the 2016 Olympics.

Hello Everyone!

TORONTO 2016!!!!

I think Mayor Miller dismissed any Toronto bid for 2016.

If the USA doesn't win 2016, Toronto most likely will put forth a bid for 2020.

still believe in Istanbul...

with a good advertismnt and a strong bid Istnabul can get 2016...

if u look at the canidates none of them have specialites of IStanbul...a unique history, monuments, geograhical advant.,culture....

at that point ı want to ask u s.t.

ı am working in a pr agency working on a project about istanbul.

ı am asking u all...what u imagine about Istanbul..whats your opinions ideas what u know about istanbul...???

if u help me ı will be so glad :)

Amsterdam?

Holland is considering a bid, but 2016 will definitely be too soon.....

2020/2024 is more an option!!

Some worldclass venues already exist:

RAI Fair Complex (indoorsport / gymnastics)

AmsterdamArena (soccer)

Old Olympic Stadium (fieldhockey)

Bosbaan (rowing / canoeing)

Has anyone heard anything about if the USOC is going forward with a bid? I heard a rumor that they were going to make an announcement by the end of the year about whether or not they were going to go forward, but not necessarily if it would be Chicago or LA. Not many working days left in 2006 and haven't heard anything, so just wanted to check what others have heard.

Has anyone heard anything about if the USOC is going forward with a bid? I heard a rumor that they were going to make an announcement by the end of the year about whether or not they were going to go forward, but not necessarily if it would be Chicago or LA. Not many working days left in 2006 and haven't heard anything, so just wanted to check what others have heard.

About two weeks ago, at a Chicago 2016 Economic Forum, CBS2 announced that the USOC has said the announcement has been postponed until a few days after New Years.

I'm still backing any effort from Rio de Janeiro. With the USOC bid collapses and lack of European interest because of London winning 2012, and the 2007 PanAms having already been in the history books by the time the election rolls around, the time is ripe to strike for Brazil.

About two weeks ago, at a Chicago 2016 Economic Forum, CBS2 announced that the USOC has said the announcement has been postponed until a few days after New Years.

The USOC's projected timing around the first of the new year is strange because the latest set of bid documents from Chicago and LA are due January 22nd. So how can they make a decision whether to go or not before then? It doesn't make sense.

Hello Everyone!

TORONTO 2016!!!!

Well mayor Mel Lastman certainly didnt help with the "natives putting him in a boiling pot of water" statement. That type of statement will linger on for a long time after the old power brokers at the IOC are gone. I just wonder if the political will or creditbility is there in Toronto or Ontario for that matter. Losing twice with the Former Mayors statement made about Kenya natives at the end seemed to put to bed the olympic bid efford in the gta.

It is sad to have seen Toronto endure the failed attempts ending on that note. Personally I think Toronto may be better suited to first host the commonwealth games in 2018 as Halifax is not going to win the bid. Toronto could then step up to the IOC plate in the future. Running for 2016 ??? Well Mayor Miller and the Provinces have other things on their plate with federal/provincial funding of basic needs. IF there was a political desire in Toronto for the Games we would be hearing about it now. THe Toronto 2015 worlds fair bid was abandoned for because they felt it was not going to be properly funded by the feds. Toronto may be best to continue on the path to gaining a national football league team through private interests. Hosting a superbowl may be something that is in the cards rather then the sports festival route. Until Toronto or other cities in Canada take the pathes of a Seoul South Korea did in the late 70s and early 1980's there will just be banging of heads against the wall. Cities wanting to host sport festivals in europe, asia , africa and south america are using the Seoul Model of building to IOC standards to first host a regional games and then the olympics. You avoid the cost overruns and financially it makes sense. When you have financial common sense in an efford you acquire public support. The exceptions to the Seoul model are Athens and London of course and the cost overruns are not good for the promotion of the games. Bejing is excessive and 32 billion in infrastructure at chinesse labour rates is totally incredible. in western europe or north america you would probably be looking at 100 billion to do what is being done in Bejing.

IMHO I think weakness in the USOC canidates may be showing and Rio may win the bid. Very simple reasons for My theory. Jacques Rogue has stated he would like to see africa and south america host the games for the first time very soon . Rio hosting the Pan Am Games next year may be the first step much like Seoul South Korea hosting the Asian games in 1986 . Rio certainly has more time between the pan am games and the 2016 olympics. The big advantage is that Rio is only two hours ahead of the TV rights sweetspot of the eastern time zone of the united states. Toyko you will just be getting into a games that will not deliever for the US networks as highlight reels dont cut it in north america. The internet is now the spoiler for that. With games being hosted in Europe twice, Asia once and Oceania once since the Americas have hosted the summer games in 1996 it would be the Americas turn.

Rio provides a world city that has never hosted an olympics and the only events comparable they have had is the world cup in 1950 and next years Pan AM games. With 9 years inbetween the Pan Am Games and a possible hosting of the summer olympics you can have a great amount of cushon. A new iaaf class 1 stadium can be expanded and updated post pan am games. you have a new Fina approved aquatics centre and then you have Rios othe facilites that are being updated. Transportation infrastructure will probably be the biggest project along with an athletes village. The same set of events for the Summer olympics is in place with the Pan AM games. Even baseball and softball which are being dropped for london 2012 could make and appearance in rio with new diamonds for next years pan am games in 2007. What would be better then bench volleyball in the place it is played the most copacabania beach in rio.

Who knows we may see Rio and Brazil host three major world sporting events in the space between 2007 and 2016

pan am games 2007

fifa world cup 2014

and the summer olympics in 2016

jim jones

I love how people point to the supposed "weaknesses" of the U.S. candidates to promote their favorite pie-in-the-sky cities when the reality is, those places haven't submitted anything to do comparisons with! <_<

There are no weaknesses in either of the U.S. candidates. The only question for the USOC to answer is whether now is the time to bid or not. Either L.A. or Chicago are more than capable of hosting the games. B)

It is with great interest that I have, over the past six years, followed the story of Toronto's interest in hosting the Olympics. If there is one thing that has repeatedly baffled me (and perhaps millions of other people around the globe) is that why should such a fantastic city be repeated omitted from staging the Olympics. I have had the distinct honor of visiting Toronto on several occasions on diplomatic business and I remained baffled as to why it remains so "invisible" to the global eye so to speak. To be harshly blunt, I have discovered that the people who run the City of Toronto and the people who live in the City of Toronto and the greatest threat to the City of Toronto.

It my interaction with canadians, and more specificlly, with Torontonians, a very disturbing reality becomes painfully obvious. It is that, on a purely nationalistic basis (and in this instance, affections for their city), they possess a woefully poor self image that has been cunningly disguised under the notion of modesty. To the citizens of New York, there is nothing in the world like "the big apple". To the average Sydneysider, Sydney is the greatest city on Earth. And, just for the fun of it you will not attempt to insult Rio point blank in the face of its citizens. I find the attitude completely opposite where Torontonians and Toronto, and by extension Canadians and canada are concerned.

Unfortunately, I has developed the distinct impression over the years that they do not know how to put up a fight (in the figurative sense of the word)for something that they really want. I gather it is because the city does not know what it "really wants".

The reality is, bidding for the Olympics has evolved into ferocious war. If that is not understood, then the chances of one of the world's most futuristic cities ever hosting the world's most stunning event will cease to exist.

The Imperial

Ruling Czar

I love how people point to the supposed "weaknesses" of the U.S. candidates to promote their favorite pie-in-the-sky cities when the reality is, those places haven't submitted anything to do comparisons with! <_<

There are no weaknesses in either of the U.S. candidates. The only question for the USOC to answer is whether now is the time to bid or not. Either L.A. or Chicago are more than capable of hosting the games. B)

I don't think there is a doubt that LA or Chicago is technically able to host a great Games, its more a question of if they can receive enough votes to win the bid? There are certainly some factors that they have no control over that could hamper them in that effort (nobody from the US on the IOC Executive Board, how the rest of the world looks at the US). Also, LA has already hosted the Games. Sure, by 2016 it will have been 32 years since LA hosted, but the IOC may be looking to someplace new. I think Chicago presents a good opportunity but I am worried about their Olympic Stadium plans. It doesn't seem concrete or even all that great. We all know what happened with the NY stadium in the last few weeks and we've seen that London's is already costing them much more than projected.

All of that being said, I do think the US will go forward with a bid and even though LA may have a better bid technically, I'd like to see the USOC back Chicago. It may be a situation where if Chicago doesn't win for 2016, you may see them go for 2020 as well. Personally, I think Cape Town is looking strong for 2020 given that Africa will be hosting the 2010 World Cup, Rogge has said that he wants to see a Games in Africa and if I remember correctly, the election for the 2020 Games will take place in 2013 and that will be Rogge's last Games election as IOC President. Of course, CT would still need to be able to put a solid bid together.

Its going to be interesting

I don't think there is a doubt that LA or Chicago is technically able to host a great Games, its more a question of if they can receive enough votes to win the bid? There are certainly some factors that they have no control over that could hamper them in that effort (nobody from the US on the IOC Executive Board, how the rest of the world looks at the US). Also, LA has already hosted the Games. Sure, by 2016 it will have been 32 years since LA hosted, but the IOC may be looking to someplace new. I think Chicago presents a good opportunity but I am worried about their Olympic Stadium plans. It doesn't seem concrete or even all that great. We all know what happened with the NY stadium in the last few weeks and we've seen that London's is already costing them much more than projected.

All of that being said, I do think the US will go forward with a bid and even though LA may have a better bid technically, I'd like to see the USOC back Chicago. It may be a situation where if Chicago doesn't win for 2016, you may see them go for 2020 as well. Personally, I think Cape Town is looking strong for 2020 given that Africa will be hosting the 2010 World Cup, Rogge has said that he wants to see a Games in Africa and if I remember correctly, the election for the 2020 Games will take place in 2013 and that will be Rogge's last Games election as IOC President. Of course, CT would still need to be able to put a solid bid together.

Its going to be interesting

so it's going to be Tokyo..

..if I remember correctly, the election for the 2020 Games will take place in 2013 and that will be Rogge's last Games election as IOC President.

How do you know this? Have I missed something,has Rogge announced he will be stepping down after that date?? :huh:

How do you know this? Have I missed something,has Rogge announced he will be stepping down after that date?? :huh:

This is taken from the following page: http://www.olympic.org/uk/organisation/ioc/index_uk.asp

"The IOC President is elected by the IOC members by secret ballot for an initial term of eight years, renewable once for four additional years."

Rogge was elected in 2001, so assuming he stays on for the maximum number of years, he would finish up in 2013. This is also rule 20.1 of the Olympic Charter (page 48 if you have the .pdf version).

Archived