2016 (seriously)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what I've been gleaning thru all these posts is that:

1. our Spanish/Madrid boosters are all very short-sighted. Yes, Madrid will be highly qualified technically, but that isn't, repeat, ISN'T the only consideration. I say short-sighted because they only look at the last 3 Summer Olympaids (04- Athens, 08- Beijing, 12- London), and just because this is an exception where there is one non-Euro Games in-between 2, they quickly jump to the conclusion that this will be a trend. Huh? :rolleyes:Look at the longer history of the Games and how they rotate. That is the better indication.

2. Just because Madrid placed 3rd last year, is no indication of strength for the next race. Paris was the runner-up in 1986 for the '92 Games. The next time it bid in 2001 (I think for the '08 Games), it came in fourth. There is no assurance that a strong 2nd bid -- unless it's the Winter Games where there are far fewer viable candidates -- will succeed; especially if you take geo-politics into cosnideration.

But again, maybe this is all too logical for the Espanoles. All this talk about Madrid is getting boring actually.

hummmmmmmmmm.yes,is too logical for me,I´m a poor españolito and I don´t understand your complicated reasonings....

Talking seriously,I always say the same:is too soon to affirm that Madrid don´t have options in the 2016 race,is time to work and wait...

Ever since the introduction of the short list, Istanbul seems to be out of place in terms being a short list city or candidate city.

Let's not forget that in the 2008 bid they made the short list, just because of a favor of the IOC to the city because of their many participations in Olympic pricess, even thought the city did not gain the grade needed to make the short list.

In 2012 they did not made the short list, and this time the IOC did not make them the favor.

Tokyo of course is short list material, winning will depend on South Korea's results in the 2014 Winter Olympic race, and who else is biddig for the 2016.

Chicago is as well short list material, but I have the feeling that the American votes will be quite splitted with so many American countries bidding (Rio, Chicago, Monterrey, and possible Buenos Aires and La Habana).

And this last thing could benefit any European cities bidding! if the Europeans form a block and decide to play with a European candidate, let's say Madrid or Rome, then they have really strong posibilities of winning. And will for sure make the short list.

Ever since the introduction of the short list, Istanbul seems to be out of place in terms being a short list city or candidate city.

Let's not forget that in the 2008 bid they made the short list, just because of a favor of the IOC to the city because of their many participations in Olympic pricess, even thought the city did not gain the grade needed to make the short list.

In 2012 they did not made the short list, and this time the IOC did not make them the favor.

Tokyo of course is short list material, winning will depend on South Korea's results in the 2014 Winter Olympic race, and who else is biddig for the 2016.

Chicago is as well short list material, but I have the feeling that the American votes will be quite splitted with so many American countries bidding (Rio, Chicago, Monterrey, and possible Buenos Aires and La Habana).

And this last thing could benefit any European cities bidding! if the Europeans form a block and decide to play with a European candidate, let's say Madrid or Rome, then they have really strong posibilities of winning. And will for sure make the short list.

that's stretching it out a bit there.....half the cities you list that will make a "split" won't even be shortlisted (and in the vote) and nothing is going to be split in a way that gives Europe 2016...the IOC simply won't vote for the European bids who were foolish enough to enter 2016..Madrid and every other European city has almost no chance whatsoever of winning

Having a summit or int'l conference is TOTALLY different from hosting the Olympics. Manila has hosted a UN Int'l conference or 2; two Miss Universes -- but even it is savvy enough to realize that it is NOT Olympic host city-material.

I don't think you quite realize what it takes to (i) make the short list; and (ii) to actually stage a Summer Olympiad of the 21st century.

If you think all you need is a name attached and international sports event organization experience to win the bid, then I think I know more than you, as to what its needed to win the Olympics or even make it to the short list.

I know the IOC evaluates the cities taking 11 aspects into consideration:

1.- Government Support and Public Support

2.- General Infrastructure of the City

3.- Sport Infrastructure of the city

4.- Olympic Village

5.- Environmental conditions and Impact

6.- Accomodation

7.- Transportation

8.- Security

9.- Experience of past events of the country

10.- Financing (which is not graded)

11.- General concept

If this is still what the IOC considers in order to declare a city winning or not of hosting the Olympic Games, then I can tell you that Monterrey's only problem would be accomodation, since there aren't enough rooms in the city at this moment to host the Olympics, but, I also know that According to the Hotel and Motel association of Mexico, besides Cancun, the city of Monterrey is the city with the highest construction hotel projects in the country, because of their business status.

unfortunately when voting the average IOC member doesn't actually analyze each of this 11 aspects, and goes for the city with the best bid and of course the name....

Haha!!! I do think they consider these factors and many others such as politics inside the IOC, income benefits for the IOC and sponsors, geographic location of the country, name, sentimentalism, among others, that are not listed on the 11 aspects.

And whenever the IOC has not considered those 11 aspects I mentioned, is when they have got into trouble, like in Atlanta or Salt Lake City.

I don't think they will risk that again, and is truly why they did not hesitated in eliminating New York in such and early stage of the final vote for the 2012 race.

unfortunately when voting the average IOC member doesn't actually analyze each of this 11 aspects, and goes for the city with the best bid and of course the name....

dont bother its a lost cause...according to them the IOC members sit in their rooms adding up the poiints from the technical inspection and reading the final evaluation...

Haha!!! I do think they consider these factors and many others such as politics inside the IOC, income benefits for the IOC and sponsors, geographic location of the country, name, sentimentalism, among others, that are not listed on the 11 aspects.

And whenever the IOC has not considered those 11 aspects I mentioned, is when they have got into trouble, like in Atlanta or Salt Lake City.

I don't think they will risk that again, and is truly why they did not hesitated in eliminating New York in such and early stage of the final vote for the 2012 race.

oh god here we go again another person completely blinded by their cities support, and then when you tell them how it is and they don't like it they attack the USA with a bucnh of faulty "facts" and biases....this is getting VERY boring.....SLC hosted a superb WOG, Atlanta was never was accused of bribing anyone (it was suspected as was most other Olympic cities), and 2012 wasn't the USA's....those Games were destined for Europe....

and AGAIN each and every single IOC member does NOT take all of thos technical aspects into mind when voting, they vote on their own personal whims most of the time, and on things like geopolitics, the name, etc....besides I am sorry to say but I HIGHLY doubt Monterrery will have an extremely strong bid to begin with, and that combined with it's lack of International flair will ultimately kill it for 2016...why go for Monterrey when you can go with bids such as Tokyo, Chicago, etc. that have BOTH the name and the technical aspects required to host an Olympics?....

seriously some of you people really need to get over your biases for your individual cities, ackowledge the MANY obstacles they face for 2016, and for crying out loud accept reality and stop being so damn naive, and then when you hear something you don't like try to bring up random (and irrelevant) opinions and trash just to get the other poster angry and to make yourself feel better...because at the end of the day it still remains that your cities (and I am talking about Monterrey and Madrid supporters in particular here) stand a small chance of actually winning 2016.....and learn to control your tempers, your little hissy fits are getting childish and extremely annoying

dont bother its a lost cause...according to them the IOC members sit in their rooms adding up the poiints from the technical inspection and reading the final evaluation...

it is a lost cause, I don't even know why I bother to reply to these people all week...here I'll appease them

Madrid will host 2016 and Monterey will host 2020 and maybe even Jaca will get 2018! :blink:

oh god here we go again another person completely blinded by their cities support, and then when you tell them how it is and they don't like it they attack the USA with a bucnh of faulty "facts" and biases....this is getting VERY boring.....SLC hosted a superb WOG, Atlanta was never was accused of bribing anyone (it was suspected as was most other Olympic cities), and 2012 wasn't the USA's....those Games were destined for Europe....

and AGAIN each and every single IOC member does NOT take all of thos technical aspects into mind when voting, they vote on their own personal whims most of the time, and on things like geopolitics, the name, etc....besides I am sorry to say but I HIGHLY doubt Monterrery will have an extremely strong bid to begin with, and that combined with it's lack of International flair will ultimately kill it for 2016...why go for Monterrey when you can go with bids such as Tokyo, Chicago, etc. that have BOTH the name and the technical aspects required to host an Olympics?....

seriously some of you people really need to get over your biases for your individual cities, ackowledge the MANY obstacles they face for 2016, and for crying out loud accept reality and stop being so damn naive, and then when you hear something you don't like try to bring up random (and irrelevant) opinions and trash just to get the other poster angry and to make yourself feel better...because at the end of the day it still remains that your cities (and I am talking about Monterrey and Madrid supporters in particular here) stand a small chance of actually winning 2016.....and learn to control your tempers, your little hissy fits are getting childish and extremely annoying

it is a lost cause, I don't even know why I bother to reply to these people all week...here I'll appease them

Madrid will host 2016 and Monterey will host 2020 and maybe even Jaca will get 2018! :blink:

Sorry if I offended you SOlympiadsW, or any other person for that matter, this was never my intention.

If you read carefully I never mentioned anything about the US bribing anyone, nor accused Atlanta of doing that, I do not know where you get that.

My only point was that when ever not following the 11 aspects, the IOC has got into trouble, that's all.

If you can accuse us supporters of our cities of anything, is exactly that, of supporting our cities with abnormal devotion, and I totally understand your frustation of us doing it, as you can as well understand our frustation of some people thinking our cities are so less worth than yours. And this really has no point of discussion since neither of us will ever accept the countrary.

I think is good we can hace places like this forum where we can express our ideas, with respect and tolerance. As a person living in Mexico, I'm glad to see comments from the other side of the world about the Olympics, specially since our nation has finally diceded to go after an olympics.

But I feel, specially at this point of the race, that we should consider with respect any possible bid or even rumor of a city bidding, untill we get to see each of the cities projects about their bids. To desmeritate cities such as Monterrey, Madrid and claim they do not have thecnical merits to support their dreams of hosting an olympic games, clearly demonstrates that we have to continue showing what our cities have to offer.

I hope you can understand, that at the end of the day, this discussion really means not much of a big deal (unless the IOC decides to consider forums such as this and add this as the 12 aspect to evaluate... hehe) Bottom line, any person from any city with a decent opinion for any bid, regarding the city you are supporting, is worth reading, replying and taken into consideration.

and again feel free to support who you want, that is what makes these races what they are....but at the end of the day you have to see that your city has many obstacles in front of it for 2016 that may prevent it from winning, and that the IOC does NOT vote on the "eleven" points even though they are there....and while these races are unpredictable in the end, one is able to tell which bids will be stronger and weaker of the pack for whatever reason, and both Madrid and Monterrery are likely to fall in the latter category...I'm not saying this to boost another city or anything, that's just how it is...and I find it stupid how certain people bring up the USA and past Games/bids that have nothing to do with anything and in no way will impact a 2016 USA bid....I'm assuming they are doing this because the USA city is likely to be the frontrunner of the 2016 race, and you are figuring go after them.....but anyway support who you want, just be aware of the obstacles and probability of what you want to happen actually happening in 2009

and again feel free to support who you want, that is what makes these races what they are....but at the end of the day you have to see that your city has many obstacles in front of it for 2016 that may prevent it from winning, and that the IOC does NOT vote on the "eleven" points even though they are there....and while these races are unpredictable in the end, one is able to tell which bids will be stronger and weaker of the pack for whatever reason, and both Madrid and Monterrery are likely to fall in the latter category...I'm not saying this to boost another city or anything, that's just how it is...and I find it stupid how certain people bring up the USA and past Games/bids that have nothing to do with anything and in no way will impact a 2016 USA bid....I'm assuming they are doing this because the USA city is likely to be the frontrunner of the 2016 race, and you are figuring go after them.....but anyway support who you want, just be aware of the obstacles and probability of what you want to happen actually happening in 2009

I do realise that Monterrey is facing many obstacles, and I do not dare to even say that Mexico will win the olympics. But I do dare to say that they will do a pretty decent role, winning or not depends of sooooooo may factors, and this goes for any candidate.

I will never desmerit the intentions of any other cities, no matter if it is an USA city or a Tel Aviv bid, at this point, I think cities bidding should be beware of anyone who is being supported byt their ouwn national olympic commettees.

I would love to see above all some pretty amazing projects, so that no matter who the winner is, they could continue making the Olympics the extraordinary event it is.

the only official applications for 2016 are from japan USA Spain Italy and Turkiye..

and the potentials are Argentina Russia Canada and Brazil..(any other ?)

lets talk about these countries and cities.. otherwise we all lost in the topic..

2016 is the turn of a city outside of Europe. Just as 2012 was the turn of a European city. Remember that the IOC DO want to make the Olympics seem globalised and universal. Confining them to Europe will not achieve this aim.

People have mentioned WOGs but they are nowhere near as important as a SOG and the IOC is much more restricted in where they can choose due to snow, mountains and other winter sports facilities. That's why you may get consecutive SOGs/WOGs on the same continent, like Athens/Torino, and why they are often concentrated on Europe.

Consider this; the Americas will not have hosted a SOG since 1996. Asia will not have hosted since 2008. The chances of a Madrid victory after a 2012 SOG in Europe are slim at best.

There is a consensus that 2016 is for America or Asia, with the small possibility of a new frontier candidate being a spoiler. But it's more widely considered that 2020 is the turn of the new frontiers, with 2024 going back to Europe.

It would be very unlikely that for 2016, the IOC would decide to move the Summer Olympics only a few miles south from 2012. Madrid will probably make the shortlist. But it will be an also ran, like Moscow and NYC were in the 2012 race. This is how the IOC works. Like it or lump it.

the only official applications for 2016 are from japan USA Spain Italy and Turkiye..

lets talk about these countries and cities.. otherwise we all lost in the topic..

Surprisingly enough, the USOC has still not officialt committed to an Olympic bid for th 2016 Olympics.

They're still exploring their options, I guess.

I also understand that the US those considering bidding, has not make it official. Spain has both the Government and the Spain OC support.

We all know Turkey has an Olympic Law that states that as a country, they'll do as much as possible to see en Olympics coming to their country, so count them in as well.

Argentina has the Argentinian OC support, still not government.

Brazil has local Government support and Brazilian OC support, still no Federal Government Support.

Monterrey has Mexican OC support, and State Government support.

Russia and Canada to be honest have no idea, but I'm sure they'll have no trouble getting any support from their OC or each of their Governments.

From all the rest, I guess they are only on the rumor stage of their bids!

I also understand that the US those considering bidding, has not make it official. Spain has both the Government and the Spain OC support.

We all know Turkey has an Olympic Law that states that as a country, they'll do as much as possible to see en Olympics coming to their country, so count them in as well.

Brazil has local Government support and Brazilian OC support, still no Federal Government Support.

Russia and Canada to be honest have no idea, but I'm sure they'll have no trouble getting any support from their OC or each of their Governments.

ALl that really doesn't mean anything until they come out with the Short List. Then you know the final 4 or 5.

Hey there am new to the site, but i am a huge follower of the olympic movement and all sporting activities.

One point we should remember when it comes to 2016 is that Brazil are currently in negotiations with FIFA to host the 2014 World Cup. If so it is unlikely that South America will host the 2016 summer games.

I'm definatley in favour of an American games (San Francisco) or Tokyo for 2016.

2020 i could see South America hosting the games.

Hey there am new to the site, but i am a huge follower of the olympic movement and all sporting activities.

One point we should remember when it comes to 2016 is that Brazil are currently in negotiations with FIFA to host the 2014 World Cup. If so it is unlikely that South America will host the 2016 summer games.

I'm definatley in favour of an American games (San Francisco) or Tokyo for 2016.

2020 i could see South America hosting the games.

Brazil might not even get the hosting rights from the latest news I'm hearing. If thats the case what makes us think that they can organize a successful SOG for 2016.

so Madrid İstanbul Monterrey and Tokyo ( not sure about Fukuoka) and an us city are in the race for now..(at least we got our final 5 :D )

without the other potentials,are there any countries that can be other candidates.. any rumors???*

so Madrid İstanbul Monterrey and Tokyo ( not sure about Fukuoka) and an us city are in the race for now..(at least we got our final 5 :D )

without the other potentials,are there any countries that can be other candidates.. any rumors???*

Well, Italy (Rome) and Germany (Hamburg or Berlin) have expressed interest. Durban, South Africa, as well. IOC has said Brazil has expressed interest. I'm sure there's a few more as well.

Archived