2016 (seriously)

This is taken from the following page: http://www.olympic.org/uk/organisation/ioc/index_uk.asp

"The IOC President is elected by the IOC members by secret ballot for an initial term of eight years, renewable once for four additional years."

Rogge was elected in 2001, so assuming he stays on for the maximum number of years, he would finish up in 2013. This is also rule 20.1 of the Olympic Charter (page 48 if you have the .pdf version).

Thanks,I hadn't spotted this.So it seems the IOC have changed their constitution and presidents can now only serve a maximum of twelve years? I wonder if this was done to prevent any more lengthy reigns like that of his predecessor,Samaranch?

Four past IOC presidents have served much longer than this:

Pierre de Coubertin 1896-1925; 29 years.

Henri de Baillet-Latour 1925-1942; 17 years.

Avery Brundage 1952-1972; 20 years.

Juan Antonio Samaranch 1980-2001; 21 years.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because nobody outside Toronto is truly interested in having them stage the Summer Olympics. Besides, Canada seems to put on a more fiscally responsible Winter Games; so just be content with a Winter Games and hush up!

Baron,

First off, let me point out, as a volunteer in our 2008 Bid, Toronto's game would not only have been fiscally responsible, but very profitable. To compare Toronto to Montreal's fiscal mismanagement of the '76 games shows your ignorance and utter lack of respect for your global citizens. Toronto is Canada's financial capital and it is where Canada's economic strength lies. To accuse Toronto or even imply Toronto's games would be less "fiscally responsible" than a Winter Games is very insulting. It proves to me, Baron, that you have a deep ignorance for who and what Canadians are in general. Calgary's Games in 1988 we fantastic and was used as a model to every winter games after them as an example of how to host a games.

As a citizen of Toronto it fustrates me further to hear such negative comments about my city. I, as a respectful person, would never insult another person or people based on where they live. FYI, Toronto is not this winter wonderland you might think it is, our winters are generally mild compared to other parts of our country, especially this winter, as of yet we have not had any snowfall to speak of. Our temps. this winter are well above our seasonal norms; today our temp. was 15 degrees above our "normal" daytime temp. (based on the C scale)

I have read all the post from everyone on this topic and it just seem to me that many people who post here simply are cheering for their chosen city to host the 2016 Games. I respect the opinions of all of them. I know they are simply just trying to put forth their own chosen city's best light. Baron, just try and be more understanding and less disrespectful. I respect your opinions, even if I disagree with them.

MPSPicard

Toronto Olympic Supporter

10/14 years. Between Montreal and Calgary there was 12 years, so Toronto hosting in 2020 or 2024 is more that reasonable. And Canada's next winter game would then be sometime in the late 2030's or early 2040's.

That in ideal conditions (for the COC), of coarse.

• 2 weeks later...

Toronto should bid for @016 and if they bid i am really confident that they will win. Toronto has attempted so many times and were so close but lost because of people that will just steep to any level to win...not mentioning any cities. Toronto is an amazing city. I really don't wat you guys to talk bad about my city especially if you have never been here. If you have then you have an opinion but if you haven't then close your mouth. Toronto is Toronto it is still growing and growing strong. and will be so much better once our premier is replaced with John Tory (conservatives) who cares about the city Also once our prime minister is replaced with the new liberal party who actually wants to help develop Toronto into a better city. Don't worry if you are negatice towards Toronto, wait at least 3 - 5 years when thiongs will change.

Toronto should bid for @016 and if they bid i am really confident that they will win. Toronto has attempted so many times and were so close but lost because of people that will just steep to any level to win...not mentioning any cities. Toronto is an amazing city. I really don't wat you guys to talk bad about my city especially if you have never been here. If you have then you have an opinion but if you haven't then close your mouth. Toronto is Toronto it is still growing and growing strong. and will be so much better once our premier is replaced with John Tory (conservatives) who cares about the city Also once our prime minister is replaced with the new liberal party who actually wants to help develop Toronto into a better city. Don't worry if you are negatice towards Toronto, wait at least 3 - 5 years when thiongs will change.

It doesn't help when our Mayor doesn't have a 2016 Olympic bid on his agenda. Mayor Miller really wanted Expo 2015, but the Federal government fucked us over big time without financially backing the Expo bid. Maybe their attitudes would be much different towards an Olympic bid but I doubt it.

I keep asking this but when is the cutoff date for submitting a city's intentions to bid for 2016?

Archived