2016 (seriously)

The only way you could make me get mad is by posting a serious comment about the Bid that I haven't thought or considered before.

So far that hasn't happened yet!

ummm what?...and who is trying to get you mad?....seriously people like you who believe every city starts on an equal playing field is naive and should really do some research that is all I am saying

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well that's you...and if you want to believe that the IOC is a perfect organization and that every city stands an equal shot go ahead...but don't get mad when people like me call you naive...and I really wouldn't go allying yourself with trolls like someone in this thread....

I was just saying that I don't get mad when people like you call me naive! I was telling you that it takes more than that (example: a smart opinion or post that I have not thought before) Again, I'm not mad so far!

I recommend you do some research as well, at least Google the cities who are thinking of bidding, you could be surprised by what a simple search could do to spread perspectives.

As my physics teacher during my university years used to say: "people... don't act smart and end up showing off your ignorance." Think before you write, and remember what you wrote.

I was just saying that I don't get mad when people like you call me naive! I was telling you that it takes more than that (example: a smart opinion or post that I have not thought before) Again, I'm not mad so far!

I recommend you do some research as well, at least Google the cities who are thinking of bidding, you could be surprised by what a simple search could do to spread perspectives.

As my physics teacher during my university years used to say: "people... don't act smart and end up showing off your ignorance." Think before you write, and remember what you wrote.

oh who are you kidding you are getting angry...but that isn't my point...if you honestly believe that say a European city stands as much a chance at getting 2016 as the US or Tokyo ...you need to do some research and you are BEYOND naive but rather clueless

oh who are you kidding you are getting angry...but that isn't my point...if you honestly believe that say a European city stands as much a chance at getting 2016 as the US or Tokyo ...you need to do some research and you are BEYOND naive but rather clueless

I've never said I believe a European city stands a chance at 2016. Read what I write as well... hehe.

All I've said over, and over is that at this point every city has a fair shot for the games, since we have not seen yet the serious proposals.

Funny how you reply only to some part of people's comments! ;-)

I've never said I believe a European city stands a chance at 2016. Read what I write as well... hehe.

All I've said over, and over is that at this point every city has a fair shot for the games, since we have not seen yet the serious proposals.

Funny how you reply only to some part of people's comments! ;-)

I reply to the ridiculous parts of people's posts and do read them thoroughly before commenting...by saying that every city stands an equal shot, then you are in fact saying that even cities from Europe would stand an equal shot at 2016, and that is just not the case...and again I know you are towting your Monterrey city, but you honestly think a city like that will stand an equal chance against a field of world class cities like Tokyo, SF, even Madrid (if it was Europe's turn), Berlin, etc.? Every city stands a chance, but the size of that chance varies greatly from city to city...and ti si funny that you say the proposals aren't out yet, when earlier you made it sound like you have seen them....again get a clue

I reply to the ridiculous parts of people's posts and do read them thoroughly before commenting...by saying that every city stands an equal shot, then you are in fact saying that even cities from Europe would stand an equal shot at 2016, and that is just not the case...and again I know you are towting your Monterrey city, but you honestly think a city like that will stand an equal chance against a field of world class cities like Tokyo, SF, even Madrid (if it was Europe's turn), Berlin, etc.? Every city stands a chance, but the size of that chance varies greatly from city to city...and ti si funny that you say the proposals aren't out yet, when earlier you made it sound like you have seen them....again get a clue

Funny how you considering others naive do not consider that Monterrey has a chance against the "world class cities" What is a world class city in your terms anyway?

If being the richest city in Latin America, the best in the country to do business in, the city in the country with the most international events (yes even more than Mexico City, Guadalajara and Cancunall together), the city with the best sport facilities in latin america, the city who is currently building more sports infrastructure in the country, the second safest city in latin america, home of the most important corporate headquarters of the country, with a population of 4 million people, 30 different universities, with the recognition of having the best schools in latin america for medicine, engineering and administration, where 99% of the city's population knows how to write and read, 85 percent speaks english because we are so close to the US and we are a business city, 40% speaks a third language, the city with one of the highest educational levels in latin america, the only city in the country with 2 international airports.

And I can go on like this for quite a few more lines, but I rather let you find about this by yourself.

If this is till not enough... then there's no reason on asking... who is the naive here.

As far as Monterrey's project, I can tell you only what I know: the city is building already major sports infrastructure in 3 different university campuses, including 2 new pools and 2 arenas, a major traning complex owned by the government that will allow to suit events for the Olympics such as tennis, cycling, archery, and shooting.

The city already has the biggest exhibition center in the country which will suit 4 different sports. A brand new Arena with a capacity of 17,000 spectators for Gymnastics and Basketball next to the exhibition center, and already built facilities for sports such as Beach Volleyball, Handball, Football and Hockey.

Because of another event in 2007 major changes are being done to the exhibition center area, and this will allow to suit the International Media Center for the Olympics. Just yesterday they announced the expansion of an airport as well.

The city is close to the mountains (they actually call Monterrey the city of mountains) so no problem with mountain bike, and is only minutes away from La Boca lake for the rowing competitions.

As far as plans go, only 4 facilities will be out of a 10km radious from the Olympic Village, with Athletes being no more than 5 minutes away from 2 of the 3 clusters (this means 5 minutes away from almost 12 different sports out of the 26 in the Olympic Program)

They have full support of the Mexican OC, which by the way happens to have a very good influence in the IOC.

Again if all this is not enough to stand a chance again the "world class cities" then please tell me what it would require.

Funny how you considering others naive do not consider that Monterrey has a chance against the "world class cities" What is a world class city in your terms anyway?

If being the richest city in Latin America, the best in the country to do business in, the city in the country with the most international events (yes even more than Mexico City, Guadalajara and Cancunall together), the city with the best sport facilities in latin america, the city who is currently building more sports infrastructure in the country, the second safest city in latin america, home of the most important corporate headquarters of the country, with a population of 4 million people, 30 different universities, with the recognition of having the best schools in latin america for medicine, engineering and administration, where 99% of the city's population knows how to write and read, 85 percent speaks english because we are so close to the US and we are a business city, 40% speaks a third language, the city with one of the highest educational levels in latin america, the only city in the country with 2 international airports.

And I can go on like this for quite a few more lines, but I rather let you find about this by yourself.

If this is till not enough... then there's no reason on asking... who is the naive here.

As far as Monterrey's project, I can tell you only what I know: the city is building already major sports infrastructure in 3 different university campuses, including 2 new pools and 2 arenas, a major traning complex owned by the government that will allow to suit events for the Olympics such as tennis, cycling, archery, and shooting.

The city already has the biggest exhibition center in the country which will suit 4 different sports. A brand new Arena with a capacity of 17,000 spectators for Gymnastics and Basketball next to the exhibition center, and already built facilities for sports such as Beach Volleyball, Handball, Football and Hockey.

Because of another event in 2007 major changes are being done to the exhibition center area, and this will allow to suit the International Media Center for the Olympics. Just yesterday they announced the expansion of an airport as well.

The city is close to the mountains (they actually call Monterrey the city of mountains) so no problem with mountain bike, and is only minutes away from La Boca lake for the rowing competitions.

As far as plans go, only 4 facilities will be out of a 10km radious from the Olympic Village, with Athletes being no more than 5 minutes away from 2 of the 3 clusters (this means 5 minutes away from almost 12 different sports out of the 26 in the Olympic Program)

They have full support of the Mexican OC, which by the way happens to have a very good influence in the IOC.

Again if all this is not enough to stand a chance again the "world class cities" then please tell me what it would require.

the problem is it is still Monterrey and all of the cities it is competing against will have the same (and in some cases better) features....

the problem is it is still Monterrey and all of the cities it is competing against will have the same (and in some cases better) features....

Well its all part of the competition, at least you say now the cities to which we'll be competing against will have the same and in some cases better features... that's fair enough, and for a city competing for the first time, and for a country competing for the first time since '68 I think its a good way to be back on the games.

Well its all part of the competition, at least you say now the cities to which we'll be competing against will have the same and in some cases better features... that's fair enough, and for a city competing for the first time, and for a country competing for the first time since '68 I think its a good way to be back on the games.

I agree, and I'll give you this Monterrey does stand a better chance than many of the other cities such as Madrid, etc. IMO for the 2016 race...we'll have to see

Because continental rotation is not an official IOC policy, there is nothing that rules out any bid from Europe. The proximity of London 2012 may be a geopolitical hinderance to a European bid for 2016, but it doesn't mean that no bids from Europe will be accepted and it doesn't mean that an exceptionally strong bid from Europe will automatically fail to a weaker bid from any other continent. The last time Europeans did not bid for the Summer Olympics were the Games of 1984 and 1988 during the troubled post Munich-Montreal-Moscow era.

• 4 months later...

Baku Azerbaijan has recently announced the intention to bid on the Olympics of 2016 and it's an intriguing choice.

For one it's both European and Asian, it's at the crossroads so two continents would be simultaneously pleased with the choice.

Two, it's time for a former Soviet Republic to host the games, as it would be a good chance to know these places now that the Russian bear has withdrawn.

Of all the former Soviet republics, Azerbaijan is the one with the fastest growing economy. Much of its infrastructure is currently being rebuilt so adjustments wouldn't be hard to make, facilities will be new and clean and state of the art.

The country is full of Shiite Muslims but incredibly secular, in fact the people there drink vodka and nobody wears religious clothing anywhere, in comparison Turkey looks like it's full of religious fanatics. Muslims who don't care at all about religion are a people that the world could really benefit from showcasing. It could be a positive influence on countries with less moderate track records.

The city of Baku is a great town, lovely old classical architecture everywhere, it has a spectacularly groovy park in the middle and a boardwalk right on the Caspian Sea.

It has a highly-cosmopolitan mix of people, many British oil workers, and foreigners already live there and the demographics of the country - unlike many former Soviet republics - is very young and dynamic. There's a lot of young people dressed up in fancy clothes talking on cell phones everywhere and the sports tradition is very good, particularly in those endeavors that require a bit of support, the Greco Roman wrestling and that sort of thing.

In short, I'd say that Azerbaijan would be a great choice for 2016. Hope it happens.

Granted. But this is a first outing for a new country. The IOC is very much an old boys' school; and the more established countries usually have greater credence within the Olympic circles of power.

For a new candidate like Baku to make any credible dent in the Olympic bidding process:

1. You must have at least two (2) IOC members to talk up your case w/in the IOC ranks.

2. You must run at least once and make an impression even if you don't make the shortlist.

3. Azerbajian must say, be within the top 12 countries (in terms of medals) by Beijing 2008.

4. You must probably get the support of Moscow/Russia and the other countries in the region ...therefore that means getting Turkey to give up Istanbul's aspirations.

5. A2020 might be a time ripe for a Baku candidacy when the race could be wide open: Rio, Cape Town, New Delhi, Baku! That would really be exciting.

Finally,

6. You must get Celine Dion to give at least one concert in Baku at some sports event. She has an "in" with the IOC.

6. You must get Celine Dion to give at least one concert in Baku at some sports event. She has an "in" with the IOC.

So thats why Montreal got the games...

:lol:

Yes, even then her influence over the IOC was almost divine.

She and Samaranch didn't have a 'thing' going on,did they?? :blink:

Buenos Aires would be a much better host than Rio or Sao Paulo. It's stunning. 2016 will go to the Americas, probably the US.; and Argentina might not be economically stable enough to host, but if Sydney hadn't hosted in 2000 and I was asked to say which city could pull off a better games, I'd probably say Buenos Aires without consideration of national factors, just the city itself.

If Celine so god damn necessary why did Vancouver opt for Avril at the closing ceremonies in Turin??

:blink:

Becose we alredy had 2010 secure.

Besside, Celine was to busy pushing for a Las Vegas 2016 bid :lol: .

Becose we alredy had 2010 secure.

Besside, Celine was to busy pushing for a Las Vegas 2016 bid :lol: .

It was just announced today that Celine has cancelled the next 5 performances of "New Day" in Vegas (because she has some sort of infection). God, I hope it's not because we have been discussing her here on this esteemed board.

• 3 weeks later...

Applying a continental rotation in Olympic bidding is ridiculous. Are the IOC Comittees thinking of that as the contributing factor they want to choose a right host city? I don't think so.... with the high cost bidding nowadays, I would like to say that high profile cities are going to get into it such as Chicago and Tokyo. USA for example never failed to be chosen as candidate city everytime they want to bid for whatever summer or winter games.

So, it looks like Chicago or Tokyo to me!

We can daydream about other cities, but let be realistic. Money is the big thing in bidding, it's not about bribery or whatever people said. It's about so much money needed to make a good bid. Just that!

Hello. I'm new here. I'm from Manila, the Philippines.

Having a summit or int'l conference is TOTALLY different from hosting the Olympics. Manila has hosted a UN Int'l conference or 2; two Miss Universes -- but even it is savvy enough to realize that it is NOT Olympic host city-material.

I agree to this! Manila---or any other city in the Philippines for that matter---will never be capable of hosting the Olympics.

Anyway, I think Chicago is the frontrunner as of now. However, it's going to be a tight race as Tokyo seems to be very determined to win the bid too. Strong bids from the South American and token (two) European cities will spice up the race (no Moscow 2012-ish bids here). Middle Eastern cities will have to wait until after 2020.

The 2016 shortlist is probably going to be the most competitive one we'll get to see.

Hello. I'm new here. I'm from Manila, the Philippines.

Having a summit or int'l conference is TOTALLY different from hosting the Olympics. Manila has hosted a UN Int'l conference or 2; two Miss Universes -- but even it is savvy enough to realize that it is NOT Olympic host city-material.

I agree to this! Manila---or any other city in the Philippines for that matter---will never be capable of hosting the Olympics.

Anyway, I think Chicago is the frontrunner as of now. However, it's going to be a tight race as Tokyo seems to be very determined to win the bid too. Strong bids from the South American and token (two) European cities will spice up the race (no Moscow 2012-ish bids here). Middle Eastern cities will have to wait until after 2020.

The 2016 shortlist is probably going to be the most competitive one we'll get to see.

Welcome, wingspread.

Hope you enjoy it here. BTW, I have a PM for you.

Archived