1) The total cost of my ideas would be around $325 million (which includes inflation). A stadium the size of BC Place would have costed $500-600 million to build in 2003. Including inflation, the cost to build a new stadium would be $700-800 million today. As you can see, mass renovations are the way to go. But of course, realistically this wouldn't happen.

2) There's no way VANOC would commit to this or any other extra stadium renovation expenditures........this would have to be a government initiative, like building the expanded convention centre, afterall Gordon Campbell could say that the stadium would need a renovation sooner or later. And I have confidence that Campbell would figure something out for the stadium.

At the very least they should do for 2010:

1) Clean-up and reinforce the roof: $5 million

2) New seats: $15 million

3) Improved accessibility: $5 million

4) Renovated concourse/interior (including washrooms): $30 million

5) Exterior improvements: $10 million

6) Lighting: $10 million

7) Sound/Acoustics: $10 million

8) Scoreboards/video boards: $2 million

Cost: $87 million

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, where are these cost estimates coming from? For one, if your cost estimate is based on the cost of seat replacement at the Coliseum, bear in mind those were plush seats and the manufacturer was forced to retool their machine to accomodate the size of seat VANOC wanted (which was an additional cost).

Secondly, I sincerely doubt that an open air, non-inflated roof is possible for BC Place without significant reinforcement to the building itself. It was never designed to hold up anything other than a fairly light-weight fabric. I'm sure it could be done, but the cost would likely prove prohibitive.

Just my two cents.

Firstly, where are these cost estimates coming from? For one, if your cost estimate is based on the cost of seat replacement at the Coliseum, bear in mind those were plush seats and the manufacturer was forced to retool their machine to accomodate the size of seat VANOC wanted (which was an additional cost).

Secondly, I sincerely doubt that an open air, non-inflated roof is possible for BC Place without significant reinforcement to the building itself. It was never designed to hold up anything other than a fairly light-weight fabric. I'm sure it could be done, but the cost would likely prove prohibitive.

Just my two cents.

My estimates are coming from other stadium projects around the globe.

It's quite possible to build a seperate roof structure over the existing stadium.

Decision Day Waterfront Stadium!

lets see, in the past we have had.......

Decision Day RAV (3 times)

Decision Day 2010

Decision Day Olympic Referendum

More than 70 people have made a booking to express their views about the Waterfront Stadium. Tonight, the local government would decide for a go on this stadium or not. I would have postings of this either today or tomorrow.

-----------------------------------

I heard from rumors that if the Stadium does not go, another company would try to build a mall over the rail road tracks. The mall could also have residential as well. If the stadium does not have a yes, then I would hope the mall would have a yes. If there would be a mall in that area, then Apple (many rumors about opening a store by 2010) could have a waterfront store in Vancouver!

LIVE FEED OF THE CITY COUNCIL WHITECAPS DECISION: http://cityofvan-as1.insinc.com/ibc/mp/md/...17/1204/wv150en

A mall? How credible are these sources?

Greg Kerfoot, owner of the Whitecaps Football Club, bought air rights to the entire central waterfront railyard for $28 million (if he bought the land, it would have been $400 million) for a stadium for his stadium. And he didn't want to buy the entire parcel, just the parcel behind The Landing and Waterfront Station..........but CPR and Fairmont Hotels insisted that he buy the entire parcel. Therefore, he had no other intentions for the land as stadium opponents would claim (such as getting even richer by building condos).

the lady saying it's stressful with bars and restaurants....and poor bashing and gay bashing............and saying that sex trade workers would get more business from the fans! LMAO! CLASSIFICATION: NIMBY

the lady saying it's stressful with bars and restaurants....and poor bashing and gay bashing............and saying that sex trade workers would get more business from the fans! LMAO! CLASSIFICATION: NIMBY

wow....Arthur Erickson was speaking soooo slow and wth was he dissing his own city with regards to it always raining?

thank god it's over. meeting will continue into thursday.

1) The total cost of my ideas would be around $325 million (which includes inflation). A stadium the size of BC Place would have costed $500-600 million to build in 2003. Including inflation, the cost to build a new stadium would be $700-800 million today. As you can see, mass renovations are the way to go. But of course, realistically this wouldn't happen.

2) There's no way VANOC would commit to this or any other extra stadium renovation expenditures........this would have to be a government initiative, like building the expanded convention centre, afterall Gordon Campbell could say that the stadium would need a renovation sooner or later. And I have confidence that Campbell would figure something out for the stadium.

At the very least they should do for 2010:

1) Clean-up and reinforce the roof: $5 million

2) New seats: $15 million

3) Improved accessibility: $5 million

4) Renovated concourse/interior (including washrooms): $30 million

5) Exterior improvements: $10 million

6) Lighting: $10 million

7) Sound/Acoustics: $10 million

8) Scoreboards/video boards: $2 million

Cost: $87 million

When has Finance been your major little one?

Pulling numbers out of your ass

True that there is mainly retail and commercial around the stadium area. But there are old histroic buildings w/ office space converted to residential. Actually, I went to see some of them and they were quite nice and had an excellent view to Canada Place and North Shore.

Real estate in Vancouver is really expensive I have to say. Actually, there was a study and Vancouver toped Top 5 for the most expensive and unaffordable places to live in the world. Let's see, for $500 000, I can get a descent home in Toronto while here, I get a fourty year old house in the East side of Vancouver (EVEN MORE) or I have to live not in the city... Even gas is more expensive because of the GVRD taxes and stupid 'wholesale prices' in Western Canada, specifically B.C. But Toronto's gas prices would raise too in the future because Toronto is trying to make like a GTRD like the GVRD and Translink. HAHAHAHAHAHA! SHARE THE PAIN!!!

BC Place is ugly and old. As I said, they should have the olympics logo on the roof... Makes it better, make the area more bright and modern by adding 'faux' wood paneling around the concrete to make the stadium more welcoming. If by any chance hte stadium would be allowed in Vancouver, then there would be a chance that the Whitecaps would negotiate with VANOC to have medal cerimonies presented here instead of BC Place. That's good. Show the world that Vancouver does not only have old ugly stadiums, but has nice and breath taking views stadiums (and an excellent Olympic Village, the best any olympis has ever seen (although the London 2012 ones look reasuring too)).

Just a note:

Depending on who you believe the 2006 Torino Olympics lost $80,000,000 [from the Mayor's office] or $250,000,000 [from the anti games movement]. Either way, the 2006 Torino Games posted a significant loss

olympikfan

When has Finance been your major little one?

Pulling numbers out of your ass

The numbers are quite reasonable so **** u. It did take $2 million to get two new jumbotrons outside the stadium. Though very different, it'll take $30 million to revamp (washrooms, floors, conference halls, etc.) the entire existing convention centre.

The seat figures are coming from the Coliseum replacements. If it's a little high since the Coliseum had seats specially made, so be it.

Lighting and acoustics......definetely $10 million each.

Just a note:

Depending on who you believe the 2006 Torino Olympics lost $80,000,000 [from the Mayor's office] or $250,000,000 [from the anti games movement]. Either way, the 2006 Torino Games posted a significant loss

olympikfan

The biggest lose for torino was for NBC and the bath they took in the Ratings. considering the Bejing/Torino deal is about 1 billion you could see the end of TV deals for sporting events if Bejing does not pull NBC into the number position for the broadcast times. Sponsorship will also be effected too

Jim Jones.

The numbers are quite reasonable so **** u. It did take $2 million to get two new jumbotrons outside the stadium. Though very different, it'll take $30 million to revamp (washrooms, floors, conference halls, etc.) the entire existing convention centre.

The seat figures are coming from the Coliseum replacements. If it's a little high since the Coliseum had seats specially made, so be it.

Lighting and acoustics......definetely $10 million each.

I bet you wouldn't have the balls to tell me to **** off in person.

Some of those concerns they raised last night made no sense. To the one lady who said it's only 12 ft away from her house and it would be impossible to sleep, how the hell do you sleep with the railway there anyways?

And I loved the councilors reply to the toxic/dangerous goods point. If it's unsafe for the stadium, it would be unsafe for all of Gastown so why are we only hearing now during the stadium debate from these nimbys?

Some of those concerns they raised last night made no sense. To the one lady who said it's only 12 ft away from her house and it would be impossible to sleep, how the hell do you sleep with the railway there anyways?

And I loved the councilors reply to the toxic/dangerous goods point. If it's unsafe for the stadium, it would be unsafe for all of Gastown so why are we only hearing now during the stadium debate from these nimbys?

True that there are railways but they aren't oftenly used at night, hence she can sleep. If they do make the stadium, noise can be an issue because there would be concerts held during summer periods. BUT, having said that it is noisy, they won't do concerts and games at 9:00 at night. So yeah, that is stupid (unless she is sleeping at 5:00).

It looks that there would be a long debate. Oh btw dave199, Mr. X's finance numbers are very close. I was close to his numbers when I estimated it (numbers come from the stadium renovations/constructions in Germany, costs in Vancouver, etc.). I was a couple million more since I like to over estimate =P.

On the topic of stadiums, Nat Bailey Stadium (adjacent to the new 2010 curling arena) will be getting major renovations from its new owner. The stadium will also be expanded from 6,000 seats to 10,000 seats for the possibilty of triple-A baseball.

The Province, Page A17, 29-Jun-2006

Dangerous goods not a factor in stadium decision, Ladner says

By John Bermingham

A Vancouver councillor said he won't reject the Whitecaps stadium on the basis of dangerous goods that move through rail lines at the waterfront.

Coun. Peter Ladner said yesterday that while he's concerned about hazardous chemicals, the risk has been known for years, and the Whitecaps are not to blame.

"The dangerous cargo is not the central issue with the stadium," Ladner said. "If it's a critical issue for the stadium, it's a critical issue for everybody within a three-block radius of the railroad anywhere in the city."

Ladner said city staff have long known that hazardous goods move along the CP Rail lines, and still allowed development.

"I don't understand why this suddenly becomes an issue because of the soccer stadium," said Ladner.

"If there's a danger in our port, then we should be dealing with it, regardless of the soccer stadium," Ladner said. "I don't think it's the responsibility of the stadium to solve the dangerous-cargo issue."

City staff have said the issue of moving dangerous goods by rail needs to be resolved before the stadium can go ahead.

Staff told councillors at a public meeting on Tuesday that they did not know the quantity or frequency of the dangerous goods.

CP Rail provided city planners with a list of the top 24 dangerous goods going through the area.

"What would need to be further investigated is the quantity and frequency of these dangerous goods, in order to be able to assess risk," said planner Kevin McNaney.

"This is one of the fundamental issues that would need to be resolved if council chooses to move forward with the stadium proposal."

CP Rail spokesman Ed Greenberg said the company cannot give out details of the specific substances for security reasons.

Last year, 0.04 per cent of 280,000 rail cars were listed as "regulated commodities."

Greenberg said they are mostly industrial and residential chemicals, such as newsprint chemicals, and are never stored at the CP Rail hub downtown.

Greenberg said a list of the chemicals is given to Transport Canada, and it's also available to emergency personnel such as the Vancouver Fire Department on request.

He said there hasn't been an incident involving a rail car at the hub in years.

Transport Canada spokeswoman Sau Sau Liu said dangerous goods account for less than one per cent of the rail cars that pass underneath the proposed stadium.

City council's hearing into the stadium review resumes tonight and is scheduled to conclude next Tuesday.

And I find it funny that a man who thinks the stadium is bad for the city, thinks this is good for the city

1133%20W%20Georgia.jpg

and Mr X, where did you get that info on Nat bailey? I looked for it but couldn't find anything. That would be great if it's true.

I have no idea how Erickson, a world master genius and urban planning, could say that a stadium like the Whitecaps proposal would need heaps and heaps of parking. Umm......sounds like he has a hidden agenda.......how could you say that when all five modes of transit is located adjacent to the stadium site.

Regarding the Nat Bailey renovation and expansion, I read it in the Vancouver Sun a few days ago.

Read information on tackleing pedestrian and crowd problems:

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3754

Yeah, excellent, just tear everything in downtown and create towers and towers. STUPID IDEA! That man is crazy. Gastown is the historic heart of our city. >=/ Now regarding to the stadium not fitting in to Downtown is an issue I believe is important. Maybe if the Stadium had more bricks and less glass... then it would fit in more? Maybe... I can imagine something like that. And it will look part of Gastown at least.

Definitely much more positive tonight than on Tuesday. It was unfortunate whoever it was Rocha was trying to get to speak wasn't allowed too.

They've only gotten through about 50 of the 96 speakers so we'll go through all of this again next Tuesday. Going by the fact that they've only gotten halfway through it in two nights, they'll almost certainly need another night on top of next Tuesday.....although Sullivan didn't seem to enthusiastic about the idea.

I understand Arthur Griffifs is still to speak, and there's a rumour that Kerfoot may as well (but I doubt it).

It was good to see the guy from the CSA there. Maybe someone from VANOC will speak as they've said they support the stadium.

So much of what the NIMBY's are saying is unfounded. Currently the land is occupied by railway tracks and a parking lot. How does covering that up with a steel, wood and glass stadium wall destroy the neighbourhood? Silly.