Waterfront Stadium

White Caps Waterfront Stadium

Although this venue has nothing to do with the olympics, if allowed, this building would change Vancouver's reputation. The White Caps Waterfront Stadium, if built, would be a large stadium home to the Vancouver Whitecaps, Vancouver Summer Sym., Outdoor Concerts, and 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Celebrations (although the seating capacity is half the size of BC Place (30 000 Vs. 60 000), I rather the Opening Cerimonies and Closing Ceromines be held here, this stadium looks soo much nicer!).

Read below:

Introduction

Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium is a proposed open-air soccer facility in Vancouver, British Columbia. Located above the railroad tracks on the Vancouver waterfront, the stadium would have close access to many modes of public transportation, including the SkyTrain, SeaBus, West Coast Express, and buses. The stadium, which would be completed in the Summer of 2009, would house the Vancouver Whitecaps men and women's soccer clubs. With an inital capacity of 15,000, this stadium would be a large upgrade over Swangard Stadium, the Whitecaps' current field. The stadium would have room to expand to up to 30,000 seats, possibly replacing the aging BC Place Stadium, current home of the BC Lions. Vancouver city council is expected to make a decision regarding the stadium in June 2006.

Controversy

Although Vancouver public support for the stadium is high[citation needed], the proposal is inciting protests from several groups, including the Gastown Neigbourhood Coalition, which represents businesses and residents of the nearby historic district. Well-known local architects Arthur Erickson and Bing Thom have also urged caution, saying that piecemeal development of some of Vancouver's last undeveloped waterfront should be avoided. They believe the stadium would deny waterfront access and would negatively impact the historic theme of the Gastown area. The architects have urged city hall to delay approval until a comprehensive plan has been submitted [1]. Independent architecture firm Hotson Bakker, which was hired by the city of Vancouver, came to the conclusion that the current stadium plans are unworkable. They reported that the development does not fit with the Gastown district and doesn't take future residential developments into account. They also stressed the need for a comprehensive waterfront plan.

2007 FIFA World Youth Championship

Taking the current timeline of this project into consideration, it is unlikely that the Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium would be completed in time for the FIFA World Youth Championship 2007.

2010 Winter Olympics

Although not originally planned as a part of the 2010 Winter Olympics, if the stadium achieves pre-Olympic completion, it would be expected to play host to cultural events and concerts. Thoughts of using the stadium as the site of the medal ceremonies have been voiced,[citation needed] but nothing has been confirmed.

Renderings

View #1 looking North towards North Shore:

whitecaps1.gif

View #2 looking from Helicopter South towards Downtown:

whitecaps2.gif

View #3 Ariel View of 'future' White Caps Statdium:

whitecaps3.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?

What are your thoughts on the Stadium?

Personally, I do support the building of the Stadium (covers some of the ugly rail yards), but if they do build stadium there, traffic would be horrible, hence, the City of Vancouver must fix Water Street in order for this stadium to be built (although Rapid Transit is present in location).

Thank god the Canada Line, Expo & Millenium Line, and Sea Bus is there to help transit if there would be such stadium.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Traffic wouldn't be too bad considering that nearly all trips will be made via transit with SkyTrain, Canada Line, bus, Seabus, and West Coast Express adjacent to the stadium. It's so so so much more convenient to take transit to this location than taking your car out of the garage,

I don't understand all the fuss about it with the City. We would be the most retarded city in the continent if we don't approve a free stadium.

City Council will debate and decide on the fate of the proposal on June 27.

Well A free stadium as far as the taxpayer goes is very good. Certainly in a great location ofr mass transit. I know the press of the new convention centre down the shore from canada place is for a media centre but I am could have seen that expensive curtailed for the winter games by holding the opening ceremonies outdoors (maybe this new stadium would have been the place) and BC place being the media centre. All sports festivals seem bring out piggy back spending that is sometimes questionable. Perhaps some inovative thought process could have preented the cost overruns which are now about to be looked at by the feds.

jim jones.

Well, residents around this stadium is worried that their 'view' of the the North Shore would be blocked because of this stadium. This also decreases the value in their apartments/condos.

Although I do support the stadium, it doesn't really fit in (View #3). Maybe it just looks weird 'cause we aren't use to it.

This stadium would also have an impact (good) on our BC economy.

Have you notice that everything is getting closer and closer to the Downtown East Side? Eventually, because of all this development, the East Side would be as prosperous as Yale Town (Yale Town was horrible in the 1980's - 1990's, exactly like Downtown East Side today). I'm confident that the Downtown East Side would become as livable as the rest of Vancouver (actually, Vancouver is very expensive, so it won't be that livable).

Let's see at June 27. I hope City Council will approve this.

What residents around the stadium? It's almost all office space, retail, restaurants, or transit.

And given the absolutely insane real estate prices in Vancouver, these folks won't lose out on anything. Shoe boxes are selling for half a million.

I do support the stadium and think the location is excellent, just regret that it wasn't part of the 2010 bid process - the views during the ceremonies would be out of this world. BC Place is nothing inspiring and the roof, while practical, is unattractive - but unfortunately, I believe that BC Place has the contract.

What residents around the stadium? It's almost all office space, retail, restaurants, or transit.

And given the absolutely insane real estate prices in Vancouver, these folks won't lose out on anything. Shoe boxes are selling for half a million.

I do support the stadium and think the location is excellent, just regret that it wasn't part of the 2010 bid process - the views during the ceremonies would be out of this world. BC Place is nothing inspiring and the roof, while practical, is unattractive - but unfortunately, I believe that BC Place has the contract.

True that there is mainly retail and commercial around the stadium area. But there are old histroic buildings w/ office space converted to residential. Actually, I went to see some of them and they were quite nice and had an excellent view to Canada Place and North Shore.

Real estate in Vancouver is really expensive I have to say. Actually, there was a study and Vancouver toped Top 5 for the most expensive and unaffordable places to live in the world. Let's see, for $500 000, I can get a descent home in Toronto while here, I get a fourty year old house in the East side of Vancouver (EVEN MORE) or I have to live not in the city... Even gas is more expensive because of the GVRD taxes and stupid 'wholesale prices' in Western Canada, specifically B.C. But Toronto's gas prices would raise too in the future because Toronto is trying to make like a GTRD like the GVRD and Translink. HAHAHAHAHAHA! SHARE THE PAIN!!!

BC Place is ugly and old. As I said, they should have the olympics logo on the roof... Makes it better, make the area more bright and modern by adding 'faux' wood paneling around the concrete to make the stadium more welcoming. If by any chance hte stadium would be allowed in Vancouver, then there would be a chance that the Whitecaps would negotiate with VANOC to have medal cerimonies presented here instead of BC Place. That's good. Show the world that Vancouver does not only have old ugly stadiums, but has nice and breath taking views stadiums (and an excellent Olympic Village, the best any olympis has ever seen (although the London 2012 ones look reasuring too)).

B.C. Place too important to scrap, says Braley

Mike Beamish, CanWest News Service; Vancouver Sun

Published: Saturday, June 17, 2006

VANCOUVER -- For a man who reportedly has his football team on the block, B.C. Lions owner David Braley seems unusually concerned about the future of the venue in which his club operates.

The outlook for B.C. Place Stadium site of the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Winter OlympicsE_ beyond the end of this decade is open to speculation, given the skyrocketing value of the land on which it sits and the expansion of the downtown Convention Centre which could siphon off trade shows that sustain the stadium.

But Braley, a Burlington, Ont., businessman who rescued the Lions from receivership in 1996, believes that the 23-year-old Teflon-roofed dome hasn't outlived its usefulness and is necessary if Vancouver is to remain a big-event city. He is not interesting in partnering with Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot who is seeking to build a soccer stadium in the downtown core.

"It's a really, really important major event facility," says Braley, who was in Vancouver for Friday's CFL opener against the Saskatchewan Roughriders. "The Grey Cup game last year probably had to be worth $45 million to the province. If you don't have a facility like this, in your city, downtown, you're in trouble, because you can't hold those kind of big civic events. I think they keep the facility. I think that's what will happen."

Well no one said to kill BC Place Stadium, but for christ sakes please improve the damn thing. It's old, and that's not the issue, it's unwelcoming and ugly. Other American stadiums are old but recieve so many updates to them so they look new. Our stadium?!!! It's time for a major rehaul of the entire place.

Now of the Whitecaps Stadium, at least it is new and looks fresh compared to BC Place. Seems to me that many of the shows would be presented in the Whitecaps Stadium if BC Place does not change it's attittude towards improvement.

I don't want BC Place to die off, since many shows like the CarShow takes place there, but please make improvements, just like what I said in previous fourm posts.

^ you won't see a new stadium like BC Place ever again. those kinds of designs died in the late 80s.

regarding the carshow and the boat show, those would be moved to the new convention centre when it's completed.

The Province, Page A14, 23-Jun-2006

Aging roof at B.C. Place causes officials concern

By Kent Spencer

B.C. Place Stadium is refusing all contracts for events after 2010 until the fate of its aging roof is resolved, general manager Howard Crosley said yesterday.

"We have not been given any indication what is happening post-2010," Crosley said.

The building, which loses about $5 million annually, is run by the B.C. Pavilion Corporation, a Crown corporation.

The stadium, which marked its 23rd birthday Monday, will need a new roof soon because its original one is nearing the end of its life.

A service report dated last Feb. 21 noted that "no reserves are carried to replace the roof."

Crosley said a new roof -- in the same marshmallow style as the current one -- would cost $20 million to $30 million, but the "sky's the limit" if other designs are considered.

"The roof was predicted to have a lifespan of 25 years. At that time, it was a brand-new process and there was no real history to check for the life-span," he said. "It is one of those things to keep an eye on."

The roof is inspected every year and is in "good condition." Work is under way to cover the support cables.

The stadium was erected for $130 million in 1983. In the fiscal year 2004-05, the value of the building underwent a $75-million capital writedown "to reflect an impairment in value," the report noted.

Crosley said the "impairment" referred to the fact "the stadium hasn't been making a profit." He said its value today is in the $300-million-to-$400 million range.

Crosley does not think it likely the building will be demolished because, he says, it has not come to the end of its useful life.

And the alternative -- building another stadium in downtown Vancouver -- would not come cheaply.

"Finding the land and building a replacement facility would not be very easy," he said.

The downtown building is under contract to host the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics. Awards ceremonies will also be held inside the cavernous chamber.

In preparation for the Games, washrooms, kitchens and the scoreboard will be upgraded in 2009. The building will also undergo a "general cleaning," and access for the disabled will be improved.

The 60,000-seat stadium hosts 10 Lions games each year and numerous trade shows in the spring and fall.

Lions president Bobby Ackles said yesterday that he couldn't predict the stadium's future. The Lions' lease does not extend beyond 2010.

"Every time I see the premier, I tell him how important it is. It's a great building in a perfect location. There isn't a bad seat in the house," Ackles said.

But he noted the building needs "some upgrades to the lighting, sound system and concessions. It probably needs some work on the roof, but I'm not sure it needs a new roof," he said.

B.C. Place's white roofing material is designed to let in light, reflect heat and keep weight down. Called a "moon suit" because it is made of the same fibreglass fabric that astronauts wear in space, it can be supported by air pressure. The roof's weight is only one-30th as much as a conventional structure. Pound for pound, it is stronger than steel.

kspencer@png.canwest.com

the least we could do imo.................i'd give the exterior a new glass facade, a new open-air roof over the stands similar to Leipzig's Zentralstadion which would mean the stadium would have to be weather proofed, renovated concourse/interior/cafeteria/washrooms, new seating, new scoreboard, two new video screens.

leipzig-stadium-pitch.jpg

leipzigstadium_large.jpg

well as to stadium replacement I think replacing the roof would be the best course and updating some of the infrastructure. With seat replacement I would say the lower bowl would be the place to replace as the upper bowl is hardly used in regular season lions games. As far at looks of the building I really dont see what the problem is. Yes you have a concrete structure with a fibreglass roof but some things could be done look wise. With a new roof you could think of a fabric facade much like the Pusan Korea stadium used for the world cup in 2002 or the treatment that the alianz stadium in Germany has. lighting those panels as is done in germany would be great.

A stadium is basically a stadium is a stadium. Yuo cant get too far away from function and to get intom the fast cycle of stadium replacement that they have in the united states here in canada is foulish. Renovation is the key as structurally you have a building that could be used for another 50 years with maintenance.

I am sure there will be some upgrading of BC place with the opening and closing ceremonies in 2010.

A jumbotron would be good to add on one end as I found it strange that only one end had a screen.

jim jones

The concrete is okay, but can be an eyesore to some. Mr.X glass idea would work but would be highly costy. But there are some simple ways to improve the look of the stadium's exterior:

1) Adding 'boards of art' or 'boards of advertisments' This has been done around Metropolis Metrotown, the exterior in the Chapters Entrance (Kingsway), Food Court Entrance (Kingsway), and the Grand Court (inside mall) w/ large boards of advertisments and modern art. Instead of having art, one may choose to have 2010 Logos, 2010 Canadian Atheletes (BC ones maybe?), and shots of our beautiful Vancouver. [below picture]

2) Adding just sandblasted glass walls, covering some concrete, to entrances (Gate A, B, C, etc.). Again done in Metrotown.

3) Changing the roof is the most important (BC Place Website: What is the life span of the roof?

The roof was given an estimated life span of 25 years by the manufacturer, however this was only an estimation as one had never worn out. BC Place Stadium's roof is inspected yearly by the manufacturer and is still in very good condition. Maintenance is performed regularly to ensure that it stays in good condition for many more years to come. = MY ASS... the roof is soooo ugly and old). Changing the roof may brighten the looks of the stadium. Also, the roof should have the 5 rings olympic logo ontop of it. =D I can imagine that soo much.

4) I think there is a company doing master planning around the BC Place area (I THINK!!!! but don't remember the company). Spot lights around the stadium would be nice. Light posts and floor lights would also brighten the looks around the stadium as well. Lighting is a large issue in the interior as well.

Some interior changes:

1) Wood Paneling on concrete beems. God dammit, the whole thing is concrete. BORING AND UGLY. Why were these styles popular? Actually, I think on their website, the equivalent amount of concrete used to build BC Place is same as the building a sidewalk from Tacoma to Vancouver. That's a lot of concrete!

2) Glass signs - sandblasted. Really similar to the Metrotown Directory signs look. Or just even have regular glass and place sandblasted stickers.

3) Improve Lighting. Safety feature. Signicant improvement to the overall look of stadium.

4) Change the floors - change the seats - change the toilets. Too old and ugly. The food court must be modernized like the Aberdeen Centre look in Richmond or the Metropolis food court look. (I personally like the Aberdeen Centre look and the Metropolis lights =P).

5) More artwork maybe? Art work of the 2010 'First Nations Art', like the ones on the websites, 2010 Pins (Page A13 of The Province), Vancouver areial shots, Greater Vancouver Attractions (i.e. Gastown, Stanley Park, PNE, etc.).

See? Simple ways in improving the overall look of the stadium without having to demolish and rebuild another. Saves money and time...

The concrete is okay, but can be an eyesore to some. Mr.X glass idea would work but would be highly costy. But there are some simple ways to improve the look of the stadium's exterior:

1) Adding 'boards of art' or 'boards of advertisments' This has been done around Metropolis Metrotown, the exterior in the Chapters Entrance (Kingsway), Food Court Entrance (Kingsway), and the Grand Court (inside mall) w/ large boards of advertisments and modern art. Instead of having art, one may choose to have 2010 Logos, 2010 Canadian Atheletes (BC ones maybe?), and shots of our beautiful Vancouver. [below picture]

2) Adding just sandblasted glass walls, covering some concrete, to entrances (Gate A, B, C, etc.). Again done in Metrotown.

3) Changing the roof is the most important (BC Place Website: What is the life span of the roof?

The roof was given an estimated life span of 25 years by the manufacturer, however this was only an estimation as one had never worn out. BC Place Stadium's roof is inspected yearly by the manufacturer and is still in very good condition. Maintenance is performed regularly to ensure that it stays in good condition for many more years to come. = MY ASS... the roof is soooo ugly and old). Changing the roof may brighten the looks of the stadium. Also, the roof should have the 5 rings olympic logo ontop of it. =D I can imagine that soo much.

4) I think there is a company doing master planning around the BC Place area (I THINK!!!! but don't remember the company). Spot lights around the stadium would be nice. Light posts and floor lights would also brighten the looks around the stadium as well. Lighting is a large issue in the interior as well.

Some interior changes:

1) Wood Paneling on concrete beems. God dammit, the whole thing is concrete. BORING AND UGLY. Why were these styles popular? Actually, I think on their website, the equivalent amount of concrete used to build BC Place is same as the building a sidewalk from Tacoma to Vancouver. That's a lot of concrete!

2) Glass signs - sandblasted. Really similar to the Metrotown Directory signs look. Or just even have regular glass and place sandblasted stickers.

3) Improve Lighting. Safety feature. Signicant improvement to the overall look of stadium.

4) Change the floors - change the seats - change the toilets. Too old and ugly. The food court must be modernized like the Aberdeen Centre look in Richmond or the Metropolis food court look. (I personally like the Aberdeen Centre look and the Metropolis lights =P).

5) More artwork maybe? Art work of the 2010 'First Nations Art', like the ones on the websites, 2010 Pins (Page A13 of The Province), Vancouver areial shots, Greater Vancouver Attractions (i.e. Gastown, Stanley Park, PNE, etc.).

6) New Scoreboard, balancing both sides of the Stadium. This will improve visiblity of what is going ton during the opening and closing cerimonies, guests don't all have to look at one screen =P.

See? Simple ways in improving the overall look of the stadium without having to demolish and rebuild another. Saves money and time...

*Post Version 1.1, added pictures and corrected mistakes

boards.gif

Picture #01: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...:en-US%26sa%3DN

2) Adding just sandblasted glass walls, covering some concrete, to entrances (Gate A, B, C, etc.). Again done in Metrotown [picture above], Metropolis Logo Backdrop.

Some interior changes:

Picture #06: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...:en-US%26sa%3DN

6) New Scoreboard, balancing both sides of the Stadium. This will improve visiblity of what is going ton during the opening and closing cerimonies, guests don't all have to look at one screen =P.

BC PLACE IMPROVEMENT PROJECT

1) Stadium glass facade: The existing facade would be torn down and a new glass facade, similar to the facades of the New Wembley in London as well as Arsenal Stadium, will be built. The facade would be 30 metres away from the stadium wall and would create a glass atrium around the stadium, with immediate access to all levels via escalators in the atrium. The atrium, which would surround the stadium would give opportunity for displaying public art - such as tall totem poles. Video screens/walls can also be installed as well as coloured glass panels (similar to the new Aberdeen Centre). Restaurants, bars, shops, and convention space will also be created. COST: $100 million

Wembley.jpg

wembley02.jpg

wembley01.jpg\

arsenalatnight.jpg

img11.jpg

Stadiumconcourse.jpg

img5.jpg

2) New open-air roof: a new open-air roof, similar to Arsenal Stadium. COST: $110 million

emirates26062006_5.jpg

emiratesstadium09062006_3.jpg

emiratesstadium09062006_8.jpg

continued.............

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...PStory/National

VANCOUVER -- As the Vancouver Whitecaps soccer organization prepares to face a critical review of its controversial downtown stadium project, the club's director of operations, Bob Lenarduzzi, says that he is taking nothing for granted.

"Sure, I feel a touch of anxiety," said Mr. Lenarduzzi, one of a handful of Whitecaps officials who are set to present their $70-million stadium plan to a committee of Vancouver councillors tomorrow night.

Believing the team has outgrown its existing home -- the 5,700-seat Swangard Stadium in Burnaby -- the Whitecaps are hoping to attract more fans by building a new stadium over railway tracks that separate Gastown from the city's waterfront district.

With an initial capacity of up to 15,000 seats, the stadium is expected to be a venue not only for soccer, but also for the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, community events, and other professional sports, including rugby and tennis.

Because Vancouver is the only major Canadian city without a large outdoor stadium, the project represents a significant missing piece of the city's sports infrastructure, Councillor Suzanne Anton said.

Although the proposal is backed by overwhelming public support -- according to a preliminary staff review -- it will not move beyond the planning stage unless the majority of council members support it.

That is why tomorrow's city hall meeting is crucial to a project that is to be built on a 10.5-hectare site acquired last year by Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot.

To get the final go-ahead, the Whitecaps must persuade council that key issues, including the lack of street access, can be overcome.

A long list of Vancouver residents will express their views on the project to council tomorrow night.

The list includes Gastown residents who fear that the stadium will draw game-day pub crawls and block ocean views to residents, especially at a time when they are hoping that the redevelopment of the nearby Woodward's site will revitalize the area.

"These guys need to respect the neighbourhood and build it someplace else," said Jean Swanson, co-ordinator of the Carnegie Community Action Project, a community group that speaks for 5,000 members, including Gastown residents.

Because of that resistance, Mr. Lenarduzzi may have good reason to feel anxious ahead of tomorrow night's meeting.

But in an interview, he insisted that concerns about the negative impact on Gastown are overblown and are being expressed by residents who have never attended a Whitecaps game. "Given the facts, I feel quite confident that we are going to be able to work through what the issues are," he said.

A staff review of the plan indicates that lack of street access to the stadium is likely the biggest hurdle.

Transportation consultants hired by the Whitecaps say that street improvements would be required to handle the outflow of 15,000 stadium visitors, with 30,000 visitors being more of a challenge in a future expansion.

The initial review also says the stadium faces some significant design challenges in part because it will sit on a podium, nine metres above railway tracks near the heritage buildings of Gastown.

The review said the Whitecaps may have to come up with an extra $50-million to cover the cost of a road network to move people in and out of the stadium.

As a result, city council could decide that the existing plan is too complex and has little probability of success, said Vancouver planning chief Larry Beasley.

Ms. Anton was more optimistic. "Staff is recommending that we don't say yes or no [to the proposal]," she said, adding that the Whitecaps may get more time to deal with issues such as road access and the social impact on Gastown.

Whether the stadium ultimately lives or dies may also hinge on the views of Vancouver Port Authority staff, who are scheduled to participate at tomorrow night's meeting.

"We support the stadium in principle," said Anne McMullin, a spokeswoman for the authority. "We see this as an interesting concept and we would like to work with the owner to address issues of road and rail.

But she said the Whitecaps organization must keep in mind that the port has its own development plans for the central waterfront area.

"Of course we wouldn't want the [stadium plan] to impact on any of our opportunities," she said.

The stadium proposal at a glance

The Vancouver Whitecaps soccer organization envisions a waterfront stadium like this one. It would seat 10,000 to 15,000 initially.

Stadium plan

The Vancouver Whitecaps soccer organization wants to build a $70-million stadium adjacent to the SeaBus terminal in the historic Gastown district. Built on a platform above CP railway lines, it would provide seating for 10,000 to 15,000 fans initially, but could be expanded with additional decks to eventually seat 30,000. It would be financed by Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot, a former software industry executive, who bought the waterfront site for $20-million.

Users

The stadium would be a venue for the Whitecaps men's and women's soccer teams, professional rugby and tennis, and the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra.

Supporters

Whitecaps director Bob Lenarduzzi says the club has outgrown its home at Burnaby's Swangard Stadium, and needs a downtown venue for the future development of both the team and soccer in Vancouver. Former mayor Larry Campbell and others say the plan is a "visionary project" that fills a void in the city.

Opponents

Critics argue the stadium is too bulky for the site, that it would become a venue for game-day carousing, and that it would block ocean views for residents who hope the redevelopment of the old Woodward's site will revitalize the area. Opponents want the Whitecaps to look at other venues, including the site of the former Empire Stadium at Hastings and Renfrew Streets.

What's next

The plan goes before city council tomorrow.

3) New stadium seating: BC Place has 60,000 seats. 50,000 of those seats would be replaced, and the other 10,000 seats located in the top few rows of the lower bowl would be removed to install new sky boxes, bars, restaurants, club seats, and additional media facilities. In addition, these 10,000 seats would be relocated to the upperbowl. Final stadium capacity is 60,000. COST: $45 million

bcplace25gb.png

privatesuites1.jpg

clubseating1.jpg

Seat relocation method in upperbowl (as you can see it curves up):

emirates16082005_8x.jpg

4) Flood lights: $8 million

emirates26062006_1.jpg

emirates26062006_2.jpg

emirates26062006_4.jpg

5) 2 new LCD video boards supplied by Sony. Cost: $2 million

continued..............

6) Renovated concourse/interior (halls, food stands, washrooms, floors, lights, walls, ceilings, accessibility, etc.) COST: $60 million

agganis-concourse.jpg

Concourse150dpi.jpg

rendering_4.jpg

rendering_6.jpg

rendering_7.jpg

This was for Whitecaps stadium and we will continue to talk about it after tomorrow, when Vancouver will announce the 'yes/no' on the stadium. Meanwhile, we are discussing other improvements that can be made for BC Place, and if the Waterfront WhiteCaps Stadium would be built, the BC Place must be on par with the Waterfront Stadium for BC Place to host opening cerimonies, etc.

Those improvements are excellent, but keep in mind, VANOC is already over budget and PavCo seems to care less. Also, Mr. X, keep in mind that we are renovating and old stadium and not building a new one. If one renovates something old significantly, it would be very very expensive, possibly going more expensive than trashing down the stadium and building a new one. We should brainstorm some cost effective ideas that are not too expensive and is practical for BC Place.