More time needed to find next Commonwealth Games host as May window closes

I can't believe after all the uncertainty they have been through that they'd so categorically state that they would aim to announce it within a particular month. Why shoot yourself in the foot like that? I think it says a little bit about the capabilities/naiveties of those in the CGF.  

3 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

I can't believe after all the uncertainty they have been through that they'd so categorically state that they would aim to announce it within a particular month. Why shoot yourself in the foot like that? I think it says a little bit about the capabilities/naiveties of those in the CGF.  

To be fair, I don’t think there were counting on Rishi to shoot himself in the foot

6 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

To be fair, I don’t think there were counting on Rishi to shoot himself in the foot

That‘s the easiest thing to count on though. First responder Farage already on scene to take care of the wound and bury the victim unceremoniously.

I was mainly referring to calling the election at all - from what I’ve gathered, no-one including his own party expected it, much less the CGF. Can’t blame them if it stuffed up their announcement (and adds more credence that Glasgow’s the saviour - not that there seemed anyone else on the horizon anyway).

This is simply cover for what is likely well known, there are no potential hosts interested yet somehow the CGF is holding out hope that some miracle candidate will come out of thin air and save this thing. If Glasgow really was the option, this would've been done by now. As for Ghana, well, it's good press to talk the usual "it's time for Africa" storyline, but the fact remains, Accra struggled mightily to get the 2023 African Games off the ground and the CWGs are a big step up, probably one that once the dust settled from the delayed. African Games, they didn't want to touch.

I hadn't thought about the purdah period, but that does make sense if Glasgow is the priority candidate. Even though they'd be hosting as Scotland it'd still need the ok of the UK government, and especially with Scotland a major battleground in the election any announcement would need to be held off. I'd expect the possibility of support for 2026 to be a question asked of the Scottish parties during the campaign or debates though. 

(Also yes the calling of the election took absolutely everyone not called Rishi Sunak by surprise, so you can't blame the CGF for being caught off guard)

Edited by yoshi
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2024 at 10:20 PM, Roger87 said:

This event died with Queen Elizabeth II. Time to move on

thats how i see it too - it didn't quite make it to its centenary, but it did conclude in the Queen's Platinum Jubilee year as well as being a very well run event that Birmingham can be proud of. 

If 2022 was the last, then it did end on a high note and probably ended in the right place (England) and the right time (Queen's Platinum Jubilee and year of the end of her reign). 

• Thanks 1