Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Citius Altius Fortius

Who Will Win Today?

The BBC have just shown a collection of about seven dives from Portuguese players in this match where there was absolutely no contact - Portugal were lucky to end the game with eleven men......sorry ten men and one little boy (who cried wolf).

The Postiga one right at the end was an absolute disgrace.

The BBC have just shown a collection of about seven dives from Portuguese players in this match where there was absolutely no contact - Portugal were lucky to end the game with eleven men......sorry ten men and one little boy (who cried wolf).

I have to admit that cristiano ronaldo tried that at least twice.

Anyhow he was the only one convinced of being able to do something to win. I mean he was the only one running on that field (not that diving was the right tactic to reach it, eheheh :P)

It's probably not very mature to say this, but I did thoroughly enjoy hear Ronaldo getting booed all game.

I believe we have a new winner in the category "Most boring match of the tournament". That was absolutely unworthy for a World Championship semi-final.

If France doesn't improve its performance again (especially Barthez who looked appallingly bad in critical situations today), it will be an easy match for Italy on Sunday. But maybe it's still too early for the Azzurri to underestimate the Bleus. We'll see!

But isn't it amazing? France is already Vice World Champion at the least! Who would have expected that before the tournament? Félicitations aux Bleus! Despite all unimpressing activities during today's match.

Totally agree with olympian

Also in terms of "The Azzurri shouldn't already underestimate the Bleus"? ;)

I am really hoping France wins, and its not just sour graphs about Germany losing, I have always loved Zinedine Zidane and would love to see him and Thurman and the other golden generation of the 90's for France take one last title before going off into the sunset. I would love to see Zidane get that beautiful trophy one last time. Vive la France.

Btw I am surprised no one mentioned Totti's disgusting dive in the first part of the match yesterday. He bearly gets touched and than goes down hands on face like de rossi just elbowed him a la mcbridge.

I am really hoping France wins, and its not just sour graphs about Germany losing, I have always loved Zinedine Zidane and would love to see him and Thurman and the other golden generation of the 90's for France take one last title before going off into the sunset. I would love to see Zidane get that beautiful trophy one last time. Vive la France.

Btw I am surprised no one mentioned Totti's disgusting dive in the first part of the match yesterday. He bearly gets touched and than goes down hands on face like de rossi just elbowed him a la mcbridge.

Also just to add to your comment about Totti, I heard today that he will be retiring from the sport after this World Cup.

I am not sad to see him go. I have a lot of respect for the likes of Zambrotta, Buffon, Cannavarro, Gattuso and Del Piero but Totti's disgusting dives, the spitting indicent and his shear lack of sportsmanship is not something to be admired. I know plenty of Italians who have no respect for him aswell.

Add myself to not sad to see Totti go. After all, he scored that false penalty that the Azzurri undeservedly made to advance over Australia in stoppage time.

I hope France beats them Sunday in Berlin! :angry:

On top of that, Zidane, whom many French soccer fans and Thierry Henry call God, will surely be missed. I want to see him go out on top to lift that trophy one final time. He truly is one of the greats in the game and quite a class act. It's no fun at all watching a player's skills that you admire deteriorate, and I know he wants to leave when he still got game. I wanna see a repeat of the 1998 World Cup of fans packed together along the Champs Elysee celebrating the French conquest of soccer. It made the atmosphere so incredible and magical as hosts. In some ways, it's similar to France 98 with Louis Saha, weel-respected among teammates is not playing in the final just like Laurent Blanc wasn't. They gotta attack very early in the game ala Stephane Guivarc'h against Brazil. At the time, it seemed like the team was a model for a new emerging and multicutural France to admire. Since then, however, France has witnessed Jean-Marie Le Pen finishing second in the presidential run-off for the hideous FN, the undercutting of his party gaining more power in regards to non-white French thanks to Sarkozy's remarks last year ("racaille" or scum), the rejection of the EU constitution by many in the French citizentry, the fires in Paris squalors lived by immigrants, the denial of racism, and of course the nationwide riots by mostly the young, multiethnic, multicultural, socially alienated, angry, and jobless working class and poor in the outskirts of the French cities called cites protesting the indiginities that befell them. Many of the players, other athletes, and rap stars out of France like Zidane, Viera, and Saha came from such concrete jungles or hail from former and current French territories. In many cases they tend to be the only voices and people to admire and speak for those who are in these areas. Seems like what transpired in 98 was eons ago. I guess, at least on a symbolic level, given what has happened since 98, France needs the Les Bleues more now than they ever did back then. If they win, I'll be bumping my French rap CDs in celebration. :)

The French weren't at all that impressive in their game against the Portuguese. They deserved to win that game though but they aren't showing anything to me that would make me believe they will beat Italy. I don't think they will beat the Italian defence, no one has but the Italians themselves. Cannavaro and Buffon are GOD!! B)

Italia will be adding their fourth star to their jersey come Sunday

I wanna see a repeat of the 1998 World Cup of fans packed together along the Champs Elysee celebrating the French conquest of soccer. It made the atmosphere so incredible and magical as hosts.

I was there that night. It was amazing! :D

VIVE LA FRANCE

france-flag.jpg

zinedine-zidane-france5.jpg

I think this previous post describes my position. I will be happily cheering for France with stu, 60 million French people, the Quebecois (most of them anyways) and the French oversees people.

Vive la République française, peut la corneille de rôtissoire une fois de plus pour Zidane et l'équipe française le dimanche nuit à Berlin.

I think this previous post describes my position. I will be happily cheering for France with stu, 60 million French people, the Quebecois (most of them anyways) and the French oversees people.

Vive la République française, peut la corneille de rôtissoire une fois de plus pour Zidane et l'équipe française le dimanche nuit à Berlin.

Moi aussi. Allez France!!

It will be ALLEZ LES BLANCS on Sunday, the Italians will be wearing blue.

It could be le meillure week-end in France with Zizou in Berlin and Mauresmo at Wimbledon.

FORZA ITALIA! España está con vosotros!!! Y supongo que también lo estará Portugal. :)

FORZA ITALIA! España está con vosotros!!! Y supongo que también lo estará Portugal. :)

Wow, that's surprising. I always thought that there's a traditional football rivalry between Spain and Italy.

no there's not coz we are REALLY cousins!!! ehehe

I mean there's a huge connection between our points of view...so I supported a lot Spain vs France...

FORZA AZZURRI!!!!!

FORZA ITALIA!!!!

I will support France (I prefer they have the second star that Italy having the fourth) but I would be happy too if Italy play better and win the cup. (At least, Argentina won't have it)

Forza Azurri! Allez la France!

I will support France (I prefer they have the second star that Italy having the fourth) but I would be happy too if Italy play better and win the cup. (At least, Argentina won't have it)

Forza Azurri! Allez la France!

"Allez les bleus!" also from me. And no, it has nothing to do with the German defeat on Tuesday. It's just because France has given such a sensationally increasing performance at this World Cup -- and because I already supported the French for the 1998 World Cup final. And not to forget: France is a big friend of Germany. Maybe Italy, too -- but our relationship to France is something more special.

you know what...as an italian i don't think so..i mean...there are a lot of italians in there...and many germans in here during vacations who loooooooooooove italy so much!

which kind of relationships are you thinking about? political european union ones? the paris-berlin axis literally cracked down recently...

you know what...as an italian i don't think so..i mean...there are a lot of italians in there...and many germans in here during vacations who loooooooooooove italy so much!

which kind of relationships are you thinking about? political european union ones? the paris-berlin axis literally cracked down recently...

You have to consider: France and Germany were fierce enemies for some centuries -- beginning with Napoleon and ending with World War II. Especially the Franco-Prussian war in 1870/71 and the German annexation of the Alsace and Lorraine regions in 1871 caused a lot of trouble between both countries.

Thus it was a truly historical if not sensational event when French president Charles de Gaulle and German chancellor Konrad Adenauer founded the Franco-German friendship with the Elysee treaty in 1963. Ever since, France and Germany maintained very strong relations -- for example visible in a high number of student exchanges and semi-annual political consultations between the French president and the German chancellor.

I didn't say that Germany has bad ties with Italy. But the ties with France are a little bit more intense, a little bit more special due to our formerly difficult comon history. And France is also a very popular vacation country for German tourists...