Who Will Win Today?

I can't bring myself to predict the outcome of the England and Portugal match,but for Brazil and France,I will go with:

Brazil 4 - 2 France

About England,the less said the better! :(

But what happened to Brazil??? And how come France suddenly started to play like they did in the '98 World Cup?? So much for THAT prediction!! :o

Can France continue to imitate their '98 performance all the way to the top??

This contest is getting more and more interesting!! B)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am hoping for a Germany-France final, my nightmare would be Italy-Portugal, with my luck its more likely than the other.

Well England do have a habit of going out to the eventual victorious country (1986, 1990, 2002) but I still think that Germany (or now possibly France) will win the tournament.

I am hoping for a Germany-France final, my nightmare would be Italy-Portugal, with my luck its more likely than the other.

I am sure that Germany will be in the final and the way France has played against Brazil tonight suggests that you may well have your hoped for scenario! Your luck could be changing!! :)

it wouldn't be as italy plays as good as against ukraine!!!

Italy will play the defensive shell they played against Ghana, USA and Australia without question, they will do it against Germany as well and we all saw what happened when a team just tried to absorb the German attack, they won.

Germany wont reach the final, because Germany has NEVER won a World Cup match against Italy.

Germany hadn't won a match against one of the big boys since 2000 until yesterday.

Italy will play the defensive shell they played against Ghana, USA and Australia without question, they will do it against Germany as well and we all saw what happened when a team just tried to absorb the German attack, they won.

Germany hadn't won a match against one of the big boys since 2000 until yesterday.

It will be on home soil. You can NEVER discount home turf advantage. Nope, Germany's got big, strong players vs. Italy's not so big. The home team always uses the local energy as an edge. It will be Germany over Italy.

I think your bad luck streak will continue.

I just love how everyone is supporting Germany, it'll make it much more better once they get knocked out next stage.

I think your bad luck streak will continue.

I just love how everyone is supporting Germany, it'll make it much more better once they get knocked out next stage.

Cocky much? Italy hasn't exactly been impressive and in fact should have lost to USA but didn't because of a BS offside call on the American goal in the second half.

Italy has played an incredibly weak, old and disorganized Czech team, tied the US, and beat a Ghanaian team that had the majority of the chances. Italy has had majority play in their game against the Czechs and hasn't at all been tested. I am not saying Germany is for sure going to win, but its a lot more likely than what you are predicting.

'everyone' - when did everyone on a board of about 100 posters regularly become 4 people?

i personally think that it will be a italy-portugal final. It will be a close final but i wont count out germany either as they have the home advantage so it will be interesting... I cant believe Brazil are out of the world cup

Germany wont reach the final, because Germany has NEVER won a World Cup match against Italy.

Every time is the first time. And sorry -- you already predicted a 5-1 for Argentina against Germany. So I dare not to believe in your predictions.

This is maybe the strongest German football team we've seen in the last 16 years (since the World Cup success in 1990). If any team is able to beat the Italians, then this team.

As I said: Italy certainly won't be an easy opponent -- I absolutely expect them to play a very defensive match during at least the first half. Just like the Argentinians. But now the Germans are prepared for that, and they'll know that even such a situation is not hopeless for them. Argentinia was tired in the last quarter of the regular time -- since it's impossible to sustain such a very intensive defence performance with all the attacks and all the running. And our German team proved on Friday: They are absolutely fit, due to the excellent fitness training of the American coaches. So don't underestimate this team. They will win -- maybe not very comfortably, but they will win.

If Italy (Lippi) don't make the same mistakes as Argentina (Pekerman) they can certainly win. Argentina was the first serious opponent for Germany sofar and all of a sudden Germany didn't look so impressive anymore. If it wasn't for Pekerman's cowardly tactics, Argentina would have won. The bad news is that Italy always play cowardly, the good news is that no one is better at it than Il Squadra Azurri.

If Italy (Lippi) don't make the same mistakes as Argentina (Pekerman) they can certainly win. Argentina was the first serious opponent for Germany sofar and all of a sudden Germany didn't look so impressive anymore. If it wasn't for Pekerman's cowardly tactics, Argentina would have won. The bad news is that Italy always play cowardly, the good news is that no one is better at it than Il Squadra Azurri.

So you'd say that Italy will be even a tougher opponent than Argentina?

I'm surprised that currently so many people predict an Italian victory. Didn't almost everybody say beforehand that if Germany beats Argentina, it can achieve everything at this World Cup?

Every time is the first time. And sorry -- you already predicted a 5-1 for Argentina against Germany. So I dare not to believe in your predictions.

This is maybe the strongest German football team we've seen in the last 16 years (since the World Cup success in 1990). If any team is able to beat the Italians, then this team.

As I said: Italy certainly won't be an easy opponent -- I absolutely expect them to play a very defensive match during at least the first half. Just like the Argentinians. But now the Germans are prepared for that, and they'll know that even such a situation is not hopeless for them. Argentinia was tired in the last quarter of the regular time -- since it's impossible to sustain such a very intensive defence performance with all the attacks and all the running. And our German team proved on Friday: They are absolutely fit, due to the excellent fitness training of the American coaches. So don't underestimate this team. They will win -- maybe not very comfortably, but they will win.

Yes, you are right. Of course i do hope, that Germany will reach the final. But i still remember the last matches against Slovenia or Italy. You have to know, that my glass of water is always half empty and not half full.

So you'd say that Italy will be even a tougher opponent than Argentina?

I'm surprised that currently so many people predict an Italian victory. Didn't almost everybody say beforehand that if Germany beats Argentina, it can achieve everything at this World Cup?

He just wants Germany to lose, nothing more and nothing less.

That's certainly true, I would not even cheer for Germany if my life depended on it :D I believe both France and Italy have what it takes to beat Germany (not saying they will), I don't think Portugal can. Germany have a huge advantage in playing at home.

I believe Italy is defensively stronger than Argentina. And with a player like Toni or a poacher like Inzaghi (probably as a sub) they can score a goal out of nowhere which makes them very hard to beat. Italy were vulnerable against the USA because they thought it would be now biggie. They looked very solid in all the other games. Not impressive, but they never do. The Italians have recently beaten Germany 4-1 (could have been more) which might turn out to be a psychological advantage.

(...)

The Italians have recently beaten Germany 4-1 (could have been more) which might turn out to be a psychological advantage.

You'll see on Tuesday that such friendlies' results will count nothing at the World Cup. Italy's 4-1 victory was in front of a home audience against an unusually unprepared German team. I still don't know what happened to the German team that day -- they didn't give the impression that they took that Italian team very seriously, although it belongs to the big names in football. It was an absolute exception, because later on they showed a much higher level of football again, especially at the match against the USA on March 22 (and of course, now at the tournament). Remember: We achieved a 4-1 against the USA -- exactly the team against which Italy only achieved a 1-1 at this World Cup. So the psychological advantage has already been equalised! :D

Seriously: The Italians know very well (and they also admit it frankly) that they should have respect for this German team and that their 4-1 on March 1 was a completely different thing.

Folks, home court advantage will even get stronger and more decisive in Germany's favor. Look at the history of the World Cup.

I predict it will be a France - Germany finals. After all, the French (Francs) are originally from the Frankfurt area anyway. Can you imagine how torn Strausbourg and the Alsace region will be?

After all, the French (Francs) are originally from the Frankfurt area anyway.

France and Germany are a result of the division of the Franconian Empire in 843. In the contract of Verdun the Franconian Empire was devided in parts for the three sons (Karl, Ludwig and Lothar) of Charlemagne.

The West-Franconian Emire (Karl) became France - The East-Franconian Empire (Ludwig) became the Holy Roman Empire of German Nations. The Middle Empire (Lothar) was devided to the West and the East Empire when the sons Lothar died in 870.

013_reichsteilungen_843.jpg

Archived