Budapest 2016?

Heheheh ... once again beating GM to the news ... from the business wires, of all places.

By Bela Fincziczki

June 14 (Bloomberg) -- Budapest may compete to host the 2016 Olympic games as a group of companies based in the country gathers support for a bid from the government and the city.

The Budapest Stock Exchange is leading 21 companies, including oil producer Mol Rt. and OTP Bank Nyrt., that are campaigning to host the games and executives today convened at a conference to discuss the plan. The group hired accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP to study whether Budapest could financially support the Olympics.

Hungary, which has won 157 gold medals at the Olympics since 1896, would have to spend about 3.5 trillion forint ($16.4 billion) on stadiums, hotels, roads and other costs, the stock exchange-led group said in a statement. The government would have to contribute 2.8 trillion forint to total costs, it said.

The companies and country would benefit from the sponsorship and publicity. ``The government and the capital city are positive about a potential bid,'' Attila Szalay-Berzeviczy, chairman of the Budapest Stock Exchange, said in an interview.

Budapest Mayor Gabor Demszky said Hungary should hold a public vote on whether to bid, newswire MTI reported today.

Well, I've always liked the idea of Budapest hosting _ there's so much Hungarian Olympian tradition. But 2016? I'm on the side that says that's a cycle too soon for Europe again. Would the Hungarians have the grit to back up and bid again for 2020 if they lose the first time around?

• 2 weeks later...

With its array of 157 gold, 137 silver and 158 bronze Olympic medals, Hungary is the 7th most successful sporting nation in the history of the Summer Olympics, and is in third place if we consider the number of Olympic medals per person. Despite, Hungary is the only one of the ten countries leading the Olympic championship table that has never had the opportunity to stage the Summer Olympic Games.

i00019804565463da359d.jpg

BUDAPEST 2016, or BUDAPEST 2020 !!!!!!!!!!!

With its array of 157 gold, 137 silver and 158 bronze Olympic medals, Hungary is the 7th most successful sporting nation in the history of the Summer Olympics, and is in third place if we consider the number of Olympic medals per person. Despite, Hungary is the only one of the ten countries leading the Olympic championship table that has never had the opportunity to stage the Summer Olympic Games.

i00019804565463da359d.jpg

BUDAPEST 2016, or BUDAPEST 2020 !!!!!!!!!!!

well, then Budapest has to bid first!

The first Olympic Games was almost in Hungary, because the Greeks were not sure to do this. At the same time was the Millennium Fest in Hungary (1896) and the Hungarians were among the founders International Olympic Movement.

The 1920 Games were in fact awarded to the Hungarian capital, but due to the defeat in World War I Hungary not only forfeited the right to organize the Games, but Hungarian sportsmen were not allowed to participate in the Antwerp Games. In 1936, Budapest failed against Berlin in the competition to hold the Olympic Games, and its bid for the 1944 Games was annulled by World War II. After the 1952 Helsinki Games, which were the most successful Olympics for Hungary, Budapest tried in vain to obtain the right to stage the Olympic Games in 1960, but as no one wished to award international attention and honor to a communist dictatorship, it was Rome that came in first. The idea of staging the Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games was last raised in 2001.

Orszaghaz.jpg

Budapest tried in vain to obtain the right to stage the Olympic Games in 1960, but as no one wished to award international attention and honor to a communist dictatorship, it was Rome that came in first.

I could say something about 2008, but I won't.

Budapest should definitely look into bidding -- it would be a great attention focus on Eastern Europe and I hear the city is magnificent. How would a Budapest concept look (i.e. Olympic Stadium, villages, sailing, etc.)?

Archived