Monterrey 2016?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monterrey's bid team have already got the blessing since the 27th of June from the Mexican Olympic Committee.

In fact they've been invited by the President Mr. Felipe Muñoz to go with the Mexican Olympic delegation to a site inspection to both Vancouver and Beijing next january, as well as to the event in London same month: Legacylives.

So when does Monterrey get the blessing of the Mexican Olympic Commitee to move forward , or have they already gotten that?

Cause I know Monterrey is the only Mexican city interested.

I can imagine the IOC welcoming a Mexican bid. I think they would much prefer to go to Mexico (or South America) than return to the United States. But they're not going to take a chance on a bid that isn't solid.

I don't think Monterrey's biggest issue is it's lack of experience hosting major sporting events (though Baron's observations re:Guadalajara are well-founded). The biggest problems with a Mexican bid relate to political instability, corruption and economics. I think the IOC would love to give Mexico a second Olympics sometime, but it isn't going to happen until the country really gets on its feet. The dispute over the recent presidential elections certainly isn't going to help matters.

I can imagine the IOC welcoming a Mexican bid. I think they would much prefer to go to Mexico (or South America) than return to the United States. But they're not going to take a chance on a bid that isn't solid.

I don't think Monterrey's biggest issue is it's lack of experience hosting major sporting events (though Baron's observations re:Guadalajara are well-founded). The biggest problems with a Mexican bid relate to political instability, corruption and economics. I think the IOC would love to give Mexico a second Olympics sometime, but it isn't going to happen until the country really gets on its feet. The dispute over the recent presidential elections certainly isn't going to help matters.

You are so right! The current situation with the presidential elections is not helping at all Monterrey's intentions to bid for the Olympics.

We have to realise as well, that the current situation is just the follish idea of a guy saying that there was a fraud in the elections, just because he lost, and that all the blockades have only been made in Mexico City, even though this is not a consolation, no other city has been affected.

I'm positive the presidential elections situation will be solved before the 15th of september, for the celebration of our independence day.

TRIFE, which is the federal institution in charge of announcing and validating the election process has followed the rules by the book, and is still on time to announce the absolute winner, which will be made before the 6th of september.

In the meantime, Monterrey's 2016 bid team seems to be going right on track with its plans; their web page has been updated, and apperently are willing to annouce their first sponsors as soon as september, meaning thar the trust of the private sector is on their side.

While Monterrey is one of the most prosperous cities in Latin America, it isn't exactly top of mind. It is an industrial and financial city but not one that says "Olympic" city...especially having to follow the likes of Sydney, Athens, Beijing and London. I don't rank its chances all that high.

While Monterrey is one of the most prosperous cities in Latin America, it isn't exactly top of mind. It is an industrial and financial city but not one that says "Olympic" city...especially having to follow the likes of Sydney, Athens, Beijing and London. I don't rank its chances all that high.

Well I think a city deserves to be called "olympic" only when it has hosted the games.

All the cities you have mentioned are both financial and industrial cities in each of their countries, something they have in common with Monterrey.

I also believe that Monterrey's international image is very lacking, and they to enter the spotlight if they ever would want to host the games. Let's be honest, for many people the first thing that comes to mind when someone says Monterrey is not the Mexican city, but the Californian city with its bay and the aquarium (Monterey).

In regards of international image Monterrey is behind Mexico City and even Guadalajara.

I also believe that Monterrey's international image is very lacking, and they to enter the spotlight if they ever would want to host the games. Let's be honest, for many people the first thing that comes to mind when someone says Monterrey is not the Mexican city, but the Californian city with its bay and the aquarium (Monterey).

In regards of international image Monterrey is behind Mexico City and even Guadalajara.

I totally agree that Monterrey is behind than other cities in terms of international recognition, but as far as Mexico City and Guadalajara, they may have the image, but Monterrey has the infrastructure.

Even though Mexico City and Guadalajara seem more appealing, they simply wont be able in any time soon to even consider a bid for the olympics. Guadalajara's Panam in 2011 seem like another Rio 2007, decent sports infrastructure for panam, but very useless for olympics.

Image is not everything, without the right project, just ask New York.

Monterrey will sound more appealing in soon, just as the FORUM 2007 starts to heat up, Discovery Channel sponsored last event in an agreement with UNESCO, and it seems like the deal will be up again for 2007 event, meaning TV spots of Monterrey in the Discovery Channel network around the globe.

Still, I do think Monterrey should do more in order to change the city's image and be noticed.

But, compared to other's cities problems, like correct infrastructure, lack of space on where to locate venues, proper government support, and so on, and so on, I think Monterrey's problem of image sounds less problematic than any of the other problems I just mentioned.

I totally agree that Monterrey is behind than other cities in terms of international recognition, but as far as Mexico City and Guadalajara, they may have the image, but Monterrey has the infrastructure.

Even though Mexico City and Guadalajara seem more appealing, they simply wont be able in any time soon to even consider a bid for the olympics. Guadalajara's Panam in 2011 seem like another Rio 2007, decent sports infrastructure for panam, but very useless for olympics.

Image is not everything, without the right project, just ask New York.

Monterrey will sound more appealing in soon, just as the FORUM 2007 starts to heat up, Discovery Channel sponsored last event in an agreement with UNESCO, and it seems like the deal will be up again for 2007 event, meaning TV spots of Monterrey in the Discovery Channel network around the globe.

Still, I do think Monterrey should do more in order to change the city's image and be noticed.

But, compared to other's cities problems, like correct infrastructure, lack of space on where to locate venues, proper government support, and so on, and so on, I think Monterrey's problem of image sounds less problematic than any of the other problems I just mentioned.

I'd say if Monterrey came back for a second bid, it would do much better.

I'd say if Monterrey came back for a second bid, it would do much better.

I also agree with you baron!

But the city has to start someday, so why not have a first try on 2016.

And not just do a try, dinosours like Mario Vazquez Raña hate to loose, so if they are bidding, they sure as hell will try to do their best to make a "great first try".

But baron don't tell anyone I called Mario Vazquez Raña a dinosour!

The ITESM Campus Monterrey, the largest private university in Latin America, has agreed to be considered as part of the venue plan for the Monterrey 2016 bid.

This was announced yesterday on the Monterrey 2016 web page.

Monterrey's team has chosen the ITESM to host the events of Swimming, in a new swimming pool being built by the same university with a capacity of 15,000 spectators, Rhythmic Gymnastics in the TEC Gym, with a capacity of 5,000 spectators which will be fully remodelated and finally Athletics and the Opening and Closing ceremonies in the TEC Stadium, which currently has a capacity of 36,000 spectators, but will be increased to a capacity of 80,000 spectators for the games, and left with a final 50,000 spectator capacity after the games.

The remodelation in the TEC stadium also include adding 2 more lanes to the athletics track, which currently has only 6, and roof on the spectators seats.

The design of all the remodelations and new constructions needed will begin in January 2007.

But baron don't tell anyone I called Mario Vazquez Raña a dinosour!

It's OK. I'll only tell Mario. :lol:

Just kidding. If we can call El Jefe, JAS, un "Old Fart" o mas peor (much worse); and Rogge, Blatter, etc., get their share of skewering -- so long as they continue to run the IOC (and FIFA) like autocrats, it's fair game. (And so long as it's nothing too libelous.)

Besides, what are they going to do about it? Complain to GBModerator? :lol:

Hey.... i think Monterrey it's doing the right things to become a competitive choice..... they gained several venues for the games like the Fundidora Park, the Universidad Regiomontana, Tec de Monterrey, Cintermex and Convex.... and they are going for more.... i dont think it's a creepy idea to have Monterrey in the race, since it's the most developed city in Latin America and it's doing all these kind of things to present an awesome bid. Maybe it's a newbie..... but every city that has hosted olympic games has been a newbie ;) .... so.... lest's support Monterrey!!! Arriba los Regios!!!

post-1393-1156578772.jpg

post-1393-1156578793.jpg

post-1393-1156578848.jpg

Hey.... i think Monterrey it's doing the right things to become a competitive choice..... they gained several venues for the games like the Fundidora Park, the Universidad Regiomontana, Tec de Monterrey, Cintermex and Convex.... and they are going for more.... i dont think it's a creepy idea to have Monterrey in the race, since it's the most developed city in Latin America and it's doing all these kind of things to present an awesome bid. Maybe it's a newbie..... but every city that has hosted olympic games has been a newbie ;) .... so.... lest's support Monterrey!!! Arriba los Regios!!!

Im with you, and with Chicago :)

Have you realized that although we're newbies and everything we do have a very nice logo? :lol:

For the ones that doesn't understand its meaning:

1. It's a crown 'cause of our name: Monterrey. Rey means king in spanish.

2. The crown has the form of mountains, and you can appreciate very well the "Cerro de la Silla"; that's one of the most representative icons of the city (search for a pic in google :o)

3. Monterrey its known as "Ciudad de las montañas" (that's City of the Mountains)

Great, isn't it?

Maybe we're not going to win the Olympics or even make the short list, but we can be proud of having one of the most creative logos ever in my opinion for a bidder. :P

Here's the official description of the Logo of Monterrey 2016 according to the Monterrey 2016 bid team:

En Español:

El concepto del logotipo es el de la estela de una antorcha Olímpica. La estela tiene forma de una cadena montañosa o corona, para hacer la referencia de que nuestra ciudad está rodeada de Montañas. El color tipo papel celofán se hizo con la intención de demostrar el carácter de nuestra gente, personas muy transparentes. El color naranja hace referencia al sol, símbolo de la ciudad de Monterrey y color de la mayoría de los monumentos en la ciudad. Cada sombra o cambio de color, representa una montaña diferente: El Cerro de la Silla, la M de Chipinque, el Cerro de las Mitras, la Loma Larga y la Huasteca.

La tipografía se hizo en base a los petrograbados que se encuentran al norte de la ciudad de Monterrey en el Municipio de Mina, N.L.

In English:

The concept of the Monterrey 2016 Logo is that of the trace left by the Olympic Torch. The trace has the form of a mountain chain or crown, to make the reference that our city is sorrounded by mountains. The cellophane type color was used to show the character of the people of Monterrey, very transperant people. The orange color makes reference to the sun, symbol of the city and color of most of the monuments in Monterrey. Each shadow or change in color represents a different mountain in the city: The Saddle Hill, the Chipinque M, the Mitras Hill, the Loma Larga and the Huasteca.

The font used to spell Monterrey 2016 was based on the petrograbados found north of the city of Monterrey in the municipality of Mina.

Petrograbados are ancient symbols carved in rocks by the native habitants of these lands, and the ones found in Mina are dated to be at least 10,000 years old.

I agree that it's an excellent logo. Clean and simple, but it has kinetic energy. There's also a decidedly Latin feel.

Maybe we're not going to win the Olympics or even make the short list, but we can be proud of having one of the most creative logos ever in my opinion for a bidder. :P

I have to say, I really appreciate your enthusiasm and your realistic approach to the bid process. It is such a refreshing change from some of the bull-headed Madrid supporters. I would love to attend a Mexican Olympics and it does look like Monterrey has a lot of potential. Admittedly, 2016 might be a stretch, but the current bid can only help Mexico in the future. And -- as I just wrote -- the logo is very, very sharp.

I agree that it's an excellent logo. Clean and simple, but it has kinetic energy. There's also a decidedly Latin feel.

I have to say, I really appreciate your enthusiasm and your realistic approach to the bid process. It is such a refreshing change from some of the bull-headed Madrid supporters. I would love to attend a Mexican Olympics and it does look like Monterrey has a lot of potential. Admittedly, 2016 might be a stretch, but the current bid can only help Mexico in the future. And -- as I just wrote -- the logo is very, very sharp.

Hello,I´m one of the "bull-headed Madrid supporters" (sic),I just want to say that your friendly comment to Monterrey 2016 is based on the fact that you don´t think that the mexican city is a real rival for the US cities...

Suerte Monterrey,¿el año que viene celebran el Forum de las Culturas verdad?

Hello,I´m one of the "bull-headed Madrid supporters" (sic),I just want to say that your friendly comment to Monterrey 2016 is based on the fact that you don´t think that the mexican city is a real rival for the US cities...

Suerte Monterrey,¿el año que viene celebran el Forum de las Culturas verdad?

Si, ya estan empezando las prparaciones, creo que la sociedad no tiene idea de que es, me incluyo, pero me gusta que estan arreglando la ciudad...

Si, ya estan empezando las prparaciones, creo que la sociedad no tiene idea de que es, me incluyo, pero me gusta que estan arreglando la ciudad...

jajaja,cuando se hizo por primera vez en Barcelona en 2004 pasó lo mismo,nadie sabia lo que era aquello y de hecho fué un fracaso,aunque se hicieron algunas obras necesarias...

jajaja,cuando se hizo por primera vez en Barcelona en 2004 pasó lo mismo,nadie sabia lo que era aquello y de hecho fué un fracaso,aunque se hicieron algunas obras necesarias...

The good thing about FORUM 2007 in Monterrey is that the new infrastructure if planned to be used for the olympics.

For example, the new exhibition hall next to CINTERMEX will be used to host the International Media Center for the Olympics.

The New Fundidora Auditoruim, with a capacity of 7,000 will be used for the Weightlifting competitions.

So its cool to see that some of the infrastructure will be used for both events.

I totally agree with Athensfan on his comment/observation regarding the refreshing spirit of th Monterrey supporters, especially in light of the few Madrid supporters on here, and their ignorance and stuborness in seeing the FACT that 2016 isn't going to be theirs no matter how much they whine about it

I totally agree with Athensfan on his comment/observation regarding the refreshing spirit of th Monterrey supporters, especially in light of the few Madrid supporters on here, and their ignorance and stuborness in seeing the FACT that 2016 isn't going to be theirs no matter how much they whine about it

ignorance,stuborness...you always repeat the same...too boring

Archived