Monterrey 2016?

Sure a third world nation hosting a billion dollar event. Wake and smell the the coffee!

Sorry to tell you that Mexico isn't a third world country.....we are one of the ten richest countries in the world according to the UN...and talking about Monterrey, is located in the richest state apart from Mexico City and is next to the richest city in Latin America, San Pedro....houses in San Pedro are more expensive than in most parts in Europe and de US.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to tell you that Mexico isn't a third world country.....we are one of the ten richest countries in the world according to the UN...and talking about Monterrey, is located in the richest state apart from Mexico City and is next to the richest city in Latin America, San Pedro....

Well, you might be in the top 15. But that again is an aggregate GNP. But a lot of the wealth is still in the hands of the ruling class. I bet 1/3rd of Mexico's 90 million+ people still barely scrape by. Why then do hundreds of thousands of Mexican citizens risk life and limb to cross the US border looking for any kind of work in the US; and to send money home to their families? Because the so-called 'wealth' has not really trickled down to the poorest of your poorest. (ANd I am not condemning Mexico; I am just stating some cold, hard facts.

houses in San Pedro are more expensive than in most parts in Europe and de US.

Again, that's just the upper class. You have to look at the whole picture when you say a wealthy country -- not just the few hundred rich families.

k..few things i wanna know

1. olympic stadium where? estadio technologica? or universiatario? or a new stadium ?

2. current facilities? where?

3. previous bids for events? future events? past events hosted?

Well, you might be in the top 15. But that again is an aggregate GNP. But a lot of the wealth is still in the hands of the ruling class. I bet 1/3rd of Mexico's 90 million+ people still barely scrape by. Why then do hundreds of thousands of Mexican citizens risk life and limb to cross the US border looking for any kind of work in the US; and to send money home to their families? Because the so-called 'wealth' has not really trickled down to the poorest of your poorest. (ANd I am not condemning Mexico; I am just stating some cold, hard facts.

Again, that's just the upper class. You have to look at the whole picture when you say a wealthy country -- not just the few hundred rich families.

I agree with you... most of the mexican people (around 110 million total) is not rich.....but again, we're not the poorest, our poor rate is about 14% of the whole population.

And yes, its true the thing you said about the upper class, and i do look at the whole picture....I just wrote that to make you see that Monterrey and Mexico isn't what you think it is: a rural place with pinatas, sombreros and tequila....its a beautiful country with hard working persons; it does have a lot of money to host the Olympics, specially the city of Monterrey :)

baron...not to discredit monterrey..but is there a reasonable chance for fairly "unknown cities" e.g. monterrey to actually win an olympic bid...the past and future hosts read like the who's who of the worlds famous cities with a good international profile...are the lesser known cities stupid not to realise this or is there a chance for them again the rio's, chicago's cape town's..etc.

I would totally agree with this comment if the Olympic Bid was a popularity contest, but in fact it is a project bid! The best project wins, not the city with the the most amazing name or "international profile"

And by the way, Monterrey has do hosted international sport events, like the Cycling World Cup, the Mountain Bike World Championship, and most recently the Karate World Championship.

Buenos Aires backed at the last minute to host the Karate World Championship and Monterrey was chosen to face the problem.

Monterrey dis such a good job that the International Karate federation granted the city with the Iberoamerican Karate Championship as well.

If Buenos Aires is serious about bidding for the Olympics, then the city should be serious about facing their commitments, and not backing at the last minute.

I would totally agree with this comment if the Olympic Bid was a popularity contest, but in fact it is a project bid! The best project wins, not the city with the the most amazing name or "international profile"

And by the way, Monterrey has do hosted international sport events, like the Cycling World Cup, the Mountain Bike World Championship, and most recently the Karate World Championship.

Buenos Aires backed at the last minute to host the Karate World Championship and Monterrey was chosen to face the problem.

Monterrey dis such a good job that the International Karate federation granted the city with the Iberoamerican Karate Championship as well.

If Buenos Aires is serious about bidding for the Olympics, then the city should be serious about facing their commitments, and not backing at the last minute.

I see what you're saying but remember -- if I have my facts right -- London bailed out of the 2005 IAAF championships YET they won the 2012 honors!?! And that's because it has the 'Big City' reputation. If the tier A cities of the world did not bid, and there was NO American city bidding, then yes, Monterrey would have a chance. But realistically, I think Madrid would have a better chance than MOnterrey. Monterrey is a newcomer to the game. The other cities have had 1 or 2 attempts; that's always another plus in the bidding process.

u see what big city does is...gets u trough the infrastructure and sports venues section....in the 2012 bid..all the larger cities dominated in the four most important categories due to the sheer size of the city and its infrastructure even if londons transport system was labelled "obsolete"...u didnt see the IOC giving them scores as low as havanna

I see what you're saying but remember -- if I have my facts right -- London bailed out of the 2005 IAAF championships YET they won the 2012 honors!?! And that's because it has the 'Big City' reputation. If the tier A cities of the world did not bid, and there was NO American city bidding, then yes, Monterrey would have a chance. But realistically, I think Madrid would have a better chance than MOnterrey. Monterrey is a newcomer to the game. The other cities have had 1 or 2 attempts; that's always another plus in the bidding process.

Madrid is an european city,is true...but is an iberoamerican city too,if Rio ,Buenos Aires or Monterrey finally don´t bid ,Madrid could be the iberoamerican option and will have got options of victory...

OK, this thread is about Mexico/Monterrey rather than Madrid.

But here's my thought to the new Mexico/Monterrey supporters? Why is the MOC pushing Monterrey forward as the next SOG candidate but then gave the PanAms to Guadalajara? It doesn't make sense. To make a really strong rival bid to a US one, the MOC should've stuck with one city. I mean, let's say Monterrey had been picked to be the next PanAm host. Then (1) it would have a core set of venues to start with; (2) it would have the mulit-sports event-organizing experience; (3) the IOC members who also belong to the PanAms boards would then be very familiar with the city.

I mean that is one way to build on reputation and experience. What the MOC id doing now (I don't know, just to appease 2 cities? :rolleyes:) is allowing one city to gain the VERY IMPORTANT sports-organzing experience (Guadal.) but then putting a totally new, greenhorn (Monterrey) as the Olympic city candidate?

Look at what Brazil is/will be doing. They will anchor Rio's Olympic hopes on its PanAm experience. (Altho I think Brazil is putting too much on its plate: wanting to land FIFA 2014 AND also going for SOG 2016. They have to stay focused on 1 event; not both.)

But do you see what I mean about the MOC's split energies? It's just not the right formula for a win.

What the MOC is doing is actually allowing more cities to be able to host international events, and not concentrate all their efforts in just one shot or city like Brazil.

The MOC has the purpose of making Mexico the host of the 3 most important sport events:

1.- Hosting the Panamericans in Guadalajara, which they won

2.- Hosting the Centralamericans in Veracruz, which they are starting to prepare the bid

3.- Hosting the Olympic Games in Monterrey, a bid which already started as well

By this, they will be giving sport infraestructure not just to one city, but to 3 cities, allowing the population of the country of not just one city, but of various regions to have benefits from this.

Both Brazils and Mexico are different approaches but have the same purpose to try and win as many sport events as possible. Brazil is chosing to go with one city, Rio, and I hope this works for them, if the entire country agrees to this idea, then fine, but what happens if cities such as Sao Paolo also want to bid for the game? Why should only Rio be Brazil's Player, making one city your only candidate, could make you face some problems of national support. Again just a thought.

While Mexico approach is different, and does not have the problem of national support, since its 3 diferent cities being benefited by the MOC program, people may think that they are splitting their chances in 3, rather than bet for just one city. As well, with this program, the economical weight is divided into several government, allowing this to perfom their 3 projects at the same time.

And let's not forget that the IOC looks for international sport event organization experience oOF THE COUNTRY not of the city bidding. And in this my friends, Mexico does have lots of experience.

1.- Olympic Games '68

2.- 2 Panamerican games (now with the ones in Guadalajara)

3.- 2 centrral american games

4.- 1 World universiade

5.- 2 FIFA world Cups

6.- Lots of world sport championships

So with this last fact, what difference does it makes if Guadalajara wins the Panams, Veracruz the Centrals and Monterrey bids for the Olympics?? The experience is still within the country and... we have a country with better sport infraestructure, rather than just one city with marvelous arenas and stadiums!

Uhmm...experience from 1968 is really stretching it. But the fact that Mexico is shieing away from its principal city, Mexico-DF, only makes it a very glaring omission. Rastafario, it didn't work for Germany with their naming Leipzig; it didn't work with Spain putting up Sevilla; not Japan with Osaka nor Nagoya; not France with Lille.

But time will tell.

Madrid is an european city,is true...but is an iberoamerican city too,if Rio ,Buenos Aires or Monterrey finally don´t bid ,Madrid could be the iberoamerican option and will have got options of victory...

therefore the Games will go to Rio, etc. before returning to Madrid in 2016...again no matter how you slice it Madrid isn't getting 2016, and the chances of Monterrey for 2016 are pretty slim for the valid reasons Baron has pointed out

Uhmm...experience from 1968 is really stretching it. But the fact that Mexico is shieing away from its principal city, Mexico-DF, only makes it a very glaring omission. Rastafario, it didn't work for Germany with their naming Leipzig; it didn't work with Spain putting up Sevilla; not Japan with Osaka nor Nagoya; not France with Lille.

But time will tell.

I totally agree that the '68 Olympics is stretching it a lot, far most, the fact that our country has not done a thing in terms of even trying to bid for an Olympic Games, concerns me the most.

Regarding shieing away from Mexico City, well I can tell you that this goes along with a National project to overcome centralism. For too long Mexico City has been the center of our little universe, and ever since 1993 this fact has finally starting to change. Can you believe we still have our Marine Defense Secretary in Mexico City??? hehe, they have no sea! What's the point of having it there. This is one of the many Gov. Departments moving out of Mexico City.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Mexico City, is a cool place to visit (although I could never live there) but its nice to see than in a country with over 100 million habitants, finally we get to share to the world something more than just our capital city.

Here's an article printed this weekend at the newspaper El Norte, the most important newspaper in the city:

En Firme / Juegos Olímpicos Monterrey 2016

Por

Armando K'sas

armando.kasas@elnorte.com

¿A poco creían que nos íbamos a conformar con el Fórum 2007 para hacer destacar a Monterrey en el plano mundial?

Para nada, sobre todo si tenemos la oportunidad de realizar los Juegos Olímpicos y colgarnos otra medallita internacional... y de pasada construir varias obras.

Bueno, pues ésta es la tarea que asumieron un grupo de regios, encabezados por Gary Salinas: hacer los Juegos Olímpicos Monterrey 2016.

Tan en serio se lo han tomado, que ya cuentan con el apoyo de empresas como Escala, que dirige Yamal Chamoun, o asociaciones como el Consejo Mexicano de Edificación Sustentable, que preside Ulises Treviño.

Si no me lo creen, échenle un ojo a la página de internet que acaban de lanzar (www.monterrey2016.org) y se darán cuenta de las construcciones que estiman se necesitarán (tan sólo para la Villa Olímpica consideran edificar cerca de 5 mil viviendas).

Se supone que las candidaturas de las ciudades que quieren ser sede se recibirán hasta julio del 2007, y la resolución final se dará a conocer en el 2009.

Bien decía un cura amigo mio: "Sólo lo verán nuestros hijos".

It basically compares Monterrey's bid for the Olympics with another huge event being held in the city next year called FORUM.

It also states that the Monterrey 2016 organizers already have the support of Escala, a major project administrator company in the country, and from the Mexican Green Building Council, part of the World Green Building Council.

The World Green Building Council meets every year in a different city around the world. 2005 meeting was in San Franciso and 2006 will be in Monterrey at the end of October. A mejor topic of the event will be Monterrey 2016 project, which will be entirelly Sustainable, every remodelation and new construction, and the Mexican Green Building Concil is currently working on the construction guide for that.

The World Green Building Council is very happy to have their meeting in Monterrey and with the subject of the Olympics as a major topic.

Here's an article printed this weekend at the newspaper El Norte, the most important newspaper in the city:

En Firme / Juegos Olímpicos Monterrey 2016

Por

Armando K'sas

armando.kasas@elnorte.com

¿A poco creían que nos íbamos a conformar con el Fórum 2007 para hacer destacar a Monterrey en el plano mundial?

Para nada, sobre todo si tenemos la oportunidad de realizar los Juegos Olímpicos y colgarnos otra medallita internacional... y de pasada construir varias obras.

Bueno, pues ésta es la tarea que asumieron un grupo de regios, encabezados por Gary Salinas: hacer los Juegos Olímpicos Monterrey 2016.

Tan en serio se lo han tomado, que ya cuentan con el apoyo de empresas como Escala, que dirige Yamal Chamoun, o asociaciones como el Consejo Mexicano de Edificación Sustentable, que preside Ulises Treviño.

Si no me lo creen, échenle un ojo a la página de internet que acaban de lanzar (www.monterrey2016.org) y se darán cuenta de las construcciones que estiman se necesitarán (tan sólo para la Villa Olímpica consideran edificar cerca de 5 mil viviendas).

Se supone que las candidaturas de las ciudades que quieren ser sede se recibirán hasta julio del 2007, y la resolución final se dará a conocer en el 2009.

Bien decía un cura amigo mio: "Sólo lo verán nuestros hijos".

It basically compares Monterrey's bid for the Olympics with another huge event being held in the city next year called FORUM.

It also states that the Monterrey 2016 organizers already have the support of Escala, a major project administrator company in the country, and from the Mexican Green Building Council, part of the World Green Building Council.

The World Green Building Council meets every year in a different city around the world. 2005 meeting was in San Franciso and 2006 will be in Monterrey at the end of October. A mejor topic of the event will be Monterrey 2016 project, which will be entirelly Sustainable, every remodelation and new construction, and the Mexican Green Building Concil is currently working on the construction guide for that.

The World Green Building Council is very happy to have their meeting in Monterrey and with the subject of the Olympics as a major topic.

I see Monterrey as another Athens if their were to ever win.

Despite Monterrey not being a well-known city outside of North America and it's first time trying for a games, it does give the IOC a viable alternative to going back to the U.S. in 2016, much like Mexico City was in 1968 when it won out over Detroit.

By going to Mexico they can insure themselves of the continued American television revenues that they so covet: be assured that Americans and Canadians will travel down there, etc. etc. A long shot perhaps but if there is still anti-American sentiment by the time 2009 roles around I wouldn't totally discount Monterrey.

I see Monterrey as another Athens if their were to ever win.

The actual Games of Athens were really successful and, despite the problems before the summer of 2004, Greece is now doing really well - much of this due to the Olympics.

LINK: How the Olympics spurred Greece to break its economic records

I think some people are too quick to judge Athens, yes the build-up was a mess but they sorted their problems out and provided an amazing Games and are now reaping the much needed economic rewards.

Despite Monterrey not being a well-known city outside of North America and it's first time trying for a games, it does give the IOC a viable alternative to going back to the U.S. in 2016, much like Mexico City was in 1968 when it won out over Detroit.

By going to Mexico they can insure themselves of the continued American television revenues that they so covet: be assured that Americans and Canadians will travel down there, etc. etc. A long shot perhaps but if there is still anti-American sentiment by the time 2009 roles around I wouldn't totally discount Monterrey.

I think at this point, no city should be discount, not untill we see their proposals, specially the american cities. (American as in the American continent)

I agree: the game are bound to return to America (aspecialy in North America), and any city from the American continent, North or South, have a fair shot aat 2016.

is monterrey "viable" though..of cours its an option but is it viable? we dont even know if Rio will be "viable" this time

On a radio interview yesterday at the 1510 Radio Station (government owned Radio Station) the Monterrey 2016 organizers explained how the city is already improving their infrastructure despite the selection of the city as the host for the Olympics.

Here are a few examples of the projects that are currently taking place.

For the organization of the 2007 FORUM of Cultures, event that the city is holding on the months of september, october and november, the city is doing some major changes in infrastructure including, the adding to the Parque Fundidora Park of an old land owned by the Peñoles company. This land will now be named as Fundidora Park II, and it will include an artifitial lake and the continuation of the Santa Lucia River. This Park now connects the Macroplaza at downtown Monterrey with the Fundidora Park with a river crossing the whole area. This site will be used as the venue for the Triathlon competitions for Monterrey 2016. They are also building a new center for exhibitions, adjecent to Cintermex building (Monterrey's main exhibition center) both buildings will be used for the Media Press Center at 2016. Inside the Fundidora Park is the Monterrey Arena with a capacity of 17,000 spectators. It is the most technological advanced facility in latin america of its kind, and will be used as the venue for Gymnastics and Basketball.

Here's a link for you to see what the event is about, and what they are building already.

http://www.monterreyforum2007.org/

INDE, which is the Government of Nuevo Leon Sport Department is currently restoring Parque Niños Heros (which is adjecent to the University of Nuevo Leon, public university) The restoration includes major modifications on the Velodrome, the archery area and the Tennis courts including 2 Stadium courts. This park will be used as the venue for the sports of Archery, Shooting, Cycling, and Tennis.

The University of Nuevo Leon will finish by the month of october their New Aquatics Center. They claim it will be the finest in latin america. This new center will be the venue for the 2008 World Youth Swimming Championships. The University is also building a new Arena with a capacity of 15,000 or 17,000 spectators. This venue will be used for Volleyball for the Olympics.

The Regiomontana University is building a new Gymnasium with a 5,000 capacity spactator for their new campus at downtown Monterrey, really close to the Macroplaza. This venue will be used for the competitions of Badminton for the 2016 olympics if Monterrey hosts the event. This university is owned by CEMEX the 3rd largest cement company in the world, and one of the companies with huge interests in Monterrey hosting the olympics in 2016.

Finally the ITESM, which is the most important private university in latin america, is building a new Aquatic Center. This site will be open air, and will be able to suit the Swimming events as they will leave space in the project for the Monterrey 2016 organizers to be able to put removable seats for a capacity of 15,000 spectators.

If you can show me how to put pictures I can add some of the constructions images here!

• 4 weeks later...

News from Monterrey.

The local Media have been publishing like crazy the current advances on the Monterrey 2016 bid team.

Milenio newspaper announced the Monterrey 2016 team already have the support of the Universidad Regiomontana and the Fundidora Park in their plans to bid for the 2016 Olympics.

Universidad Regiomontana is building a new campus in downtown Monterrey, in an effort with the city's government to rebirth Monterrey's downtown. The university plans for the new campus includes a brand new gymnasium finished by 2008 which will be used for the Badminton competitions in case Monterrey gets to host the Olympics.

The university is owned by the company CEMEX, the 3rd largest cement company in the world, and one of the most interested in Monterrey bidding for the Olympics.

Milenio newspaper also published a second note saying the Fundidora Park, currently under renovation for the FORUM 2007 event, also add their support to the city's effort to bid for the Olympics.

Major changes are being made to the park because of FORUM, and by the time renovations are concluded in september next year, the facility will be well prepared to accomodate the International Press Center needed for the Olympics in 2016 because of the new exhibition venues being build.

The renovation on Fundidora Park also include improvements in the Fundidora Auditorium, a facility with a capacity of 7,000 spectators which wil be used for the Weightlifting competitions for the 2016 bid.

Adding to this, current facilities in the park can easily accomodate the competitions of Beach Volleyball and Thriatlon.

Newspaper El Norte, the one with the most circulation in the city, published a 2 page article about the whole process yet to be faced by the city, in their efforts to bid for the games, suggesting people to be prepared for a long, expensive and hard process, which according to Sport Minister of Nuevo Leon, Melody Falco, the people of Monterrey has embraced the city's efforts to bid with open arms.

The rest of the venues will be announced shortly, including 2 other universities, La Boca lake, Chipinque park, Monterrey Arena, among others.

Archived