Monterrey 2016?

Hmmm, let's hope Monterrey will have a great option for 2016. Should be a great contender for any US city trying too.

I must say, anyway, that I felt really seduced by that mad idea of a San Diego / Tijuana games. Such a great olympic-spirit idea.

Monterrey will be a great bid :) Let's hope it pass the short list.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jajaja,cuando se hizo por primera vez en Barcelona en 2004 pasó lo mismo,nadie sabia lo que era aquello y de hecho fué un fracaso,aunque se hicieron algunas obras necesarias...

Esperemo que el evento sea un exito, las expectativas no son muy altas asi que no hay mucho que perder...

I agree that it's an excellent logo. Clean and simple, but it has kinetic energy. There's also a decidedly Latin feel.

I have to say, I really appreciate your enthusiasm and your realistic approach to the bid process. It is such a refreshing change from some of the bull-headed Madrid supporters. I would love to attend a Mexican Olympics and it does look like Monterrey has a lot of potential. Admittedly, 2016 might be a stretch, but the current bid can only help Mexico in the future. And -- as I just wrote -- the logo is very, very sharp.

Thank you very much :) .

The things you said are right; I mean, we have to be realistic.

Im so glad that everyone thinks the same about the logo. Seems that the Monterrey 2016 committee made a great work!

We regios and mexicanos :P appreciate your opinions.

I really think this logo is an example of what they should be: an image that represents olympic spirit

and the city in a clean and simple way.

I also wondered why there were no images so I wrote to the Monterrey bid Committee who was Sergio Moreno, apperantly he is the author of the Monterrey's football team Rayados Mascot called "The Spirit".

oh, now I know something more.

Honestly, I think that the Monterrey 2016 logo is by far better than the rayados mascot! All this years i've been asking myself what is it and why it wasnt another thing like an animal or something!

oh, now I know something more.

Honestly, I think that the Monterrey 2016 logo is by far better than the rayados mascot! All this years i've been asking myself what is it and why it wasnt another thing like an animal or something!

I agree with you I don't like the Rayados mascot, but I have to say the Monterrey 2016 logo really makes uo for Sergio Moreno I really like the whole concept of the logo. It covers evrything the city is and Olympics in a very simple way.

And speaking of mascots, it seems like Monterrey 2016 will also have a mascot for the candidature process.

According to the Monterrey 2016 bid team they have chosen a Black Bear to be the mascot of the candidature.

I agree with you I don't like the Rayados mascot, but I have to say the Monterrey 2016 logo really makes uo for Sergio Moreno I really like the whole concept of the logo. It covers evrything the city is and Olympics in a very simple way.

And speaking of mascots, it seems like Monterrey 2016 will also have a mascot for the candidature process.

According to the Monterrey 2016 bid team they have chosen a Black Bear to be the mascot of the candidature.

Yeah, Im really pleased with the logo.

Really?! a black bear?! hahahaha! now thats something! ... but.... wait a second....what does a black bear has to do with Monterrey!? :lol:

Really?! a black bear?! hahahaha! now thats something! ... but.... wait a second....what does a black bear has to do with Monterrey!? :lol:

Haven't heard the news lately its the "bearmania" the baby bears that escape from the mountains and invade "Mederos" campus, that was crazy...

I asked the same thing and the Monterrey 2016 team said, that according to the International Bear Association (IBA), Monterrey and San Pedro are the only 2 cities in the world who still have the bear as part of their local founa, the rest are just in natural parks or reserves, but you can see here in Monterrey how you can find them looking for food on neighborhoods close to the mountains, even resting on trees.

This is such a unique aspect of the city, that the IBA, chose the city of Monterrey to host their 2007 meeting in the month of october.

I remember reading in the newspaper El Norte an article about bears on the UANL faculty of Mederos, 2 male black bears where looking for food there and the article was about directors advicing students what to do if you come face to face with a bear when going to class.... amazing!!!

I go to Chipinque park every weekend and I saw there that their football team was called the "Black Bears" and I thought... wow everyone know about this black bears ecept me!! hehe.

So the Monterrey Team decided to chose the Black Bear as the mascot, to let people know the kind of unique fauna you will find here.

Haven't heard the news lately its the "bearmania" the baby bears that escape from the mountains and invade "Mederos" campus, that was crazy...

hahahaha! WTF! havent heard of that!....

well now thats a GOOD reason of putting a black bear as a Monterrey 20016 Olympic Bid mascot!

is just the obvious thing to do! :P:P:lol:

I asked the same thing and the Monterrey 2016 team said, that according to the International Bear Association (IBA), Monterrey and San Pedro are the only 2 cities in the world who still have the bear as part of their local founa, the rest are just in natural parks or reserves, but you can see here in Monterrey how you can find them looking for food on neighborhoods close to the mountains, even resting on trees.

This is such a unique aspect of the city, that the IBA, chose the city of Monterrey to host their 2007 meeting in the month of october.

I remember reading in the newspaper El Norte an article about bears on the UANL faculty of Mederos, 2 male black bears where looking for food there and the article was about directors advicing students what to do if you come face to face with a bear when going to class.... amazing!!!

I go to Chipinque park every weekend and I saw there that their football team was called the "Black Bears" and I thought... wow everyone know about this black bears ecept me!! hehe.

So the Monterrey Team decided to chose the Black Bear as the mascot, to let people know the kind of unique fauna you will find here.

Yes Maromas we are talking about the same article!!!! The bears of Medero.

Hello,I´m one of the "bull-headed Madrid supporters" (sic),I just want to say that your friendly comment to Monterrey 2016 is based on the fact that you don´t think that the mexican city is a real rival for the US cities...

Suerte Monterrey,¿el año que viene celebran el Forum de las Culturas verdad?

I'd just like to set the record straight. I'm not convinced the U.S. has a worthy candidate for 2016. Personally, I'd like to see the U.S. wait a bit longer before bidding again. It seems too soon.

Just as I would enjoy attending an Olympic Games in Monterrey, I would also enjoy them in Madrid. The reality is that neither of these cities has a very good chance of winning 2016. Madrid suffers because of geopolitics -- as has been argued by many people, including me, in other threads. Monterrey must overcome the instability, economic difficulty and corruption that many associate with Mexico. This is probably too tall a task for 2016, though the bid could certainly pave the way for the future.

My objective is NOT to clear the way for a US victory by putting everyone else down. As I've said, I'm not at all convinced that a US victory would be a good thing. It is simply refreshing to hear an enthusiastic Monterrey supporter who champions the potential of their city and country while acknowledging that the bid's chances of success may be limited. It is patriotism coupled with a healthy grip on reality -- something I have not seen in many pro-Madrid posts.

Please don't take everything so personally. I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from interpreting my remarks in the most negative way possible.

Monterrey must overcome the instability, economic difficulty and corruption that many associate with Mexico. This is probably too tall a task for 2016, though the bid could certainly pave the way for the future.

I do believe as many that winning the Olympics in 2016 is difficult, specially since Mexico as a country had never shown any interest on the Olympics since 1968.

I would be more than happy to see Monterrey making the short list.

Instability, economic difficulty and corruption have been around Mexico and whole latin america since 1968 and will probably be here as ling as 3,016..... yes that's 3,016 hehe, but that didn't stop Mexico for winning the Olympics in '68 and 2 times the World Football Cup or the Panamericans, and so on, and so on. And again... this is a problem of whole latin America, yes including Rio and Buenos Aires.

It is more than proven, that whenever the Mexicans decide to work together for something, we can achieve great things.

I remember an anecdote of the '68 Olympics. When on an inspection tour, the President of the International Rowing Federation, who I believe was Italian, came to Mexico City to evaluate the process on the venue for rowing, he was most dissapointed and scared when he saw the advances of the construction, this was in '66 and the construction had not even started. He asked the organizers: do you really expect this to be ready for '68?; and the organizers said: No, it will be ready for '67, for the preparation competitions.

The organizers told the president: so what do you think?; to which the president answeared: I've never seen a Surgeon become an excellent Architect in just 2 years... meaning, it is imposible to do what you propose in such a little time.

The rowing president came back to Europe and critized the whole organizing comittee on europe's press, and he even suggested to cancel the rowing competiotions or the '68 Olympics, because the venue will not be ready.

2 years later, after the closing ceremony, the '68 organizing comittee asked the same president of rowing his comments on their organization and he said.... in front of everybody... he raised his hand with a glass full of wine and made a tost saying: for Mexico, the only country I know that can turn a surgeon into an excellent architect in just 2 years!!!!!

I do believe as many that winning the Olympics in 2016 is difficult, specially since Mexico as a country had never shown any interest on the Olympics since 1968.

I would be more than happy to see Monterrey making the short list.

Instability, economic difficulty and corruption have been around Mexico and whole latin america since 1968 and will probably be here as ling as 3,016..... yes that's 3,016 hehe, but that didn't stop Mexico for winning the Olympics in '68 and 2 times the World Football Cup or the Panamericans, and so on, and so on. And again... this is a problem of whole latin America, yes including Rio and Buenos Aires.

It is more than proven, that whenever the Mexicans decide to work together for something, we can achieve great things.

I remember an anecdote of the '68 Olympics. When on an inspection tour, the President of the International Rowing Federation, who I believe was Italian, came to Mexico City to evaluate the process on the venue for rowing, he was most dissapointed and scared when he saw the advances of the construction, this was in '66 and the construction had not even started. He asked the organizers: do you really expect this to be ready for '68?; and the organizers said: No, it will be ready for '67, for the preparation competitions.

The organizers told the president: so what do you think?; to which the president answeared: I've never seen a Surgeon become an excellent Architect in just 2 years... meaning, it is imposible to do what you propose in such a little time.

The rowing president came back to Europe and critized the whole organizing comittee on europe's press, and he even suggested to cancel the rowing competiotions or the '68 Olympics, because the venue will not be ready.

2 years later, after the closing ceremony, the '68 organizing comittee asked the same president of rowing his comments on their organization and he said.... in front of everybody... he raised his hand with a glass full of wine and made a tost saying: for Mexico, the only country I know that can turn a surgeon into an excellent architect in just 2 years!!!!!

A rowing venue is nothing if you have ghe basic body of water there. I mean, unlike Athens were they had to be careful not to desecrate a supposed ancient battlefield, if you have the 2100m length of water, and the approximate width, I mean you just make sure you carve out the right dimensions, set up the starting docks; lay out the dividers; set up some viewing stands at the end -- and voila! you have the still-waters rowing course! I mean, that can be done is like 4-6 months. :rolleyes:

But I still think Tijuana would make the strongest North American candidate of all!! :lol:

A rowing venue is nothing if you have ghe basic body of water there. I mean, unlike Athens were they had to be careful not to desecrate a supposed ancient battlefield, if you have the 2100m length of water, and the approximate width, I mean you just make sure you carve out the right dimensions, set up the starting docks; lay out the dividers; set up some viewing stands at the end -- and voila! you have the still-waters rowing course! I mean, that can be done is like 4-6 months. :rolleyes:

But I still think Tijuana would make the strongest North American candidate of all!! :lol:

I know, but that didn't stoped the rowing federation to propose to cancel the rowing competitions.

The point of the anecdote was to prove that certain things that may look difficult for other people, can really easily be solved in the "Mexican Way" hehe.

• 3 weeks later...

University of Monterrey (UDEM) has agreed to be considered as part of the venues to host sport events if Monterrey is chosen to host the 2016 Olympic Games.

The UDEM is one of the most important private universities in Latin America, and among with the UR and the ITESM the 3 largests private universities of the city are now supporting Monterrey's Bid.

Plans for the UDEM consist on building a new gymnasium for at least 5,000 spectators to host the Table Tennis events. The UDEM Gym will be located on the west side of the campus, just on the back of the new student dorms built this year. The UDEM Gym is already part of the Master Plan of the UDEM Campus.

UDEM also has rights to manage an area of over a kilometer long of the old Santa Catarina River basin, the part that passes in front of the campus, and the Monterrey 2016 bid is team is considering this area to host the BMX track competitions, building a new temporary venue, making UDEM the host of 2 sport venues.

UDEM is one of the farest venues on Monterrey's Bid plan, located about 11 kilometers away from downtown Monterrey.

University of Monterrey (UDEM) has agreed to be considered as part of the venues to host sport events if Monterrey is chosen to host the 2016 Olympic Games.

The UDEM is one of the most important private universities in Latin America, and among with the UR and the ITESM the 3 largests private universities of the city are now supporting Monterrey's Bid.

Plans for the UDEM consist on building a new gymnasium for at least 5,000 spectators to host the Table Tennis events. The UDEM Gym will be located on the west side of the campus, just on the back of the new student dorms built this year. The UDEM Gym is already part of the Master Plan of the UDEM Campus.

UDEM also has rights to manage an area of over a kilometer long of the old Santa Catarina River basin, the part that passes in front of the campus, and the Monterrey 2016 bid is team is considering this area to host the BMX track competitions, building a new temporary venue, making UDEM the host of 2 sport venues.

UDEM is one of the farest venues on Monterrey's Bid plan, located about 11 kilometers away from downtown Monterrey.

Oh! mi alma mater!

I (L) UDEM! :lol:

Another venue has been confirmed for the Monterrey 2016 Bid project, this time the Plaza Monumental Monterrey.

The Plaza Monumental is located at the start of the Parque Niños Héroes Olympic Cluster at the north of the city, easily accesible by the Monterrey subway system. A new subway station is being built a few meters from the Plaza Monumental, as part of the extension of the subway system that will provide service to the north of the city, with 3 new stations inside the Parque Niños Héroes Olympic Cluster.

Plaza Monumental will host the competitions of Boxing if Monterrey is chosen as the city to celebrate the 2016 Olympic Games. With a capacity of 10,000 spectators, major remodelations are needed to suit both IOC and International Association of Boxing requirements, and those include according to Monterrey's bid team, a new retractable roof system, individual seats for all the spectator areas, improvements in access doors, among other things.

With the permission of the Plaza Monumental to be considered as part of the venues, there are already 20 different sport disciplines with a possible venue in Monterrey's 2016 bid plan.

Archived