Paris 2024 Torch relay

That's it ! The Paris 2024 games are ruined! The Olympic cauldron in Manosque (today's stage town) did not light up due to technical problems. Thomas Jolly must be trembling with fear seeing this and praying that it doesn't happen for the opening ceremony... (at worst Notre-Dame can be used in case of emergency)

https://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/jeux-olympiques/jo-2024-le-chaudron-olympique-de-manosque-n-a-pas-ete-allume-en-raison-de-soucis-techniques_AN-202405110391.html?at_brand=BFMTV&at_compte=BFMTV&at_plateforme=twitter&at_campaign=Fan_pages&at_medium=Community_Management

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HenryOaks said:

So the only way to watch the relay is getting an VPN and pretinding you are in France? No online worldwide streaming.

You could pretend to be the flame and get the center-of-attention POV . . .  unless you are blown out.  ;)

44 minutes ago, sebastien1214 said:

considering the current circumstances, this is entirely understandable. hoping for the best for the people in NC.

1 hour ago, sebastien1214 said:

For some context, there is currently a mess happening there, Kanyak(the island natives) nationalists are protesting against a proposal to open up the electoral college for New Caledonia specific votes to all people in the island. There have currently the national french list and the New Caledonian for people born in the island or residing there for 20 years or longer, due to the Noumea Accord. These people from the second list have a second separate citzenship of the island, and can vote in local elections, and only they; this is what this proposal wants to change. The thing is that is after the third of the independence referenduns there, held 2021 in the middle of the pandemic and with a much lower attendance than the two previous ones, that was boycotted by the Kanyak groups and the 96.5% No vote for independence show that. The two previous ones in 2018 and 2020 had almost a 50/50 split with the No vote leading just by a very small margin. All three were all voted by the Caledonian citzenship holders. If these open up happened, it would make for a gigantic shuffle in local politics and even maybe the end of line for possible New Caledonian independence, due to the French natives having much more of a say in local votes. And alas, since that proposal gained traction...we got an conflict.

Kanyak independist groups and the local authorites, if i recall correctly, have been in conflict this past days, causing a lot of damage in the island. One could read it as a civil unrest, or the start of a civil war(or independence war, depending of who wins?).

Sebastien could explain much better than me about that and fill the gaps that i missed, as he has the french perspective, but i been looking this situation since an earlier protest as an effect of my olympic induced curiosity about the french oversea territories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Guilga said:

For some context, there is currently a mess happening there, Kanyak(the island natives) nationalists are protesting against a proposal to open up the electoral college for New Caledonia specific votes to all people in the island. There have currently the national french list and the New Caledonian for people born in the island or residing there for 20 years or longer, due to the Noumea Accord. These people from the second list have a second separate citzenship of the island, and can vote in local elections, and only they; this is what this proposal wants to change. The thing is that is after the third of the independence referenduns there, held 2021 in the middle of the pandemic and with a much lower attendance than the two previous ones, that was boycotted by the Kanyak groups and the 96.5% No vote for independence show that. The two previous ones in 2018 and 2020 had almost a 50/50 split with the No vote leading just by a very small margin. All three were all voted by the Caledonian citzenship holders. If these open up happened, it would make for a gigantic shuffle in local politics and even maybe the end of line for possible New Caledonian independence, due to the French natives having much more of a say in local votes. And alas, since that proposal gained traction...we got an conflict.

Kanyak independist groups and the local authorites, if i recall correctly, have been in conflict this past days, causing a lot of damage in the island. One could read it as a civil unrest, or the start of a civil war(or independence war, depending of who wins?).

Sebastien could explain much better than me about that and fill the gaps that i missed, as he has the french perspective, but i been looking this situation since an earlier protest as an effect of my olympic induced curiosity about the french oversea territories.

That's a good summary. In fact, New Caledonia is the last French colony. By this I mean that the way in which the French state manages the territory is much closer to what we experienced in the former French Algeria or other former colonies; it is not managed like a classic overseas territory like we have plenty of in France, or even in the United Kingdom to take another example. That is to say that today, you have a differentiation of the population between the Kanaks and the Caldoches (the descendants of European settlers), with customary institutions for the Kanaks and their laws, a particular electoral body depending on whether you are Kanak or Caldoches, etc. And today, for the moment, there have been 5 deaths including 3 Kanak civilians who were killed by Caldoches self-defense militias, who are setting up checkpoints in their neighborhoods of Nouméa. Because obviously, spatial segregation is obviously present. In short, it is our last colony, and the sense of history dictates that we will end up abandoning it one day; except that this reform which ignited the powder will delay the independence of New Caledonia which will inevitably end up arriving one day. For the rest, in the 1980s, New Caledonia was almost plunged into a civil war and it was necessary to wait for the signing of political agreements to succeed in finding a fragile peace for almost 40 years, with an accepted political process by all. The problem is that this process ended during the 3rd referendum of 2021 (very contested by the way), and Macron did ****. He, who obviously understands nothing about France and the French people, whether overseas or from mainland France, has broken with 40 years of tradition of dialogue and mediation between Caledonian political forces by deciding to force the hand. What did he expect?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sebastien1214 said:

That's a good summary. In fact, New Caledonia is the last French colony. By this I mean that the way in which the French state manages the territory is much closer to what we experienced in the former French Algeria or other former colonies; it is not managed like a classic overseas territory like we have plenty of in France, or even in the United Kingdom to take another example. That is to say that today, you have a differentiation of the population between the Kanaks and the Caldoches (the descendants of European settlers), with customary institutions for the Kanaks and their laws, a particular electoral body depending on whether you are Kanak or Caldoches, etc. And today, for the moment, there have been 5 deaths including 3 Kanak civilians who were killed by Caldoches self-defense militias, who are setting up checkpoints in their neighborhoods of Nouméa. Because obviously, spatial segregation is obviously present. In short, it is our last colony, and the sense of history dictates that we will end up abandoning it one day; except that this reform which ignited the powder will delay the independence of New Caledonia which will inevitably end up arriving one day. For the rest, in the 1980s, New Caledonia was almost plunged into a civil war and it was necessary to wait for the signing of political agreements to succeed in finding a fragile peace for almost 40 years, with an accepted political process by all. The problem is that this process ended during the 3rd referendum of 2021 (very contested by the way), and Macron did ****. He, who obviously understands nothing about France and the French people, whether overseas or from mainland France, has broken with 40 years of tradition of dialogue and mediation between Caledonian political forces by deciding to force the hand. What did he expect?

Perfect summary as well. This all could be avoided in my view if they didn't had the idea of holding that third referendum in the middle of a global pandemic, but i guess the state knew what they were doing...

2 minutes ago, Guilga said:

Perfect summary as well. This all could be avoided in my view if they didn't had the idea of holding that third referendum in the middle of a global pandemic, but i guess the state knew what they were doing...

If the 3rd referendum had taken place under normal conditions, there was a strong chance that the Yes vote would end up winning; something like 51/49. Because between the first two referendums, the Yes gained 5 points. So yes, clearly, COVID was a boon for the government to keep New Caledonia a few more years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Is there any details on where abouts the torch will be running when in Paris? Trying to plan and would like to attend and watch it pass through the streets

An full detailed route of each day there should be available when the torch pass around the region in mid-late July, in the relay stage section on the website. You would see it in "discover full route" right next to the Follow the Route button in that day page when it's available. 

An article from Le Monde on the first results of the torch relay on French soil. Or we learn that there are systematically more people than the authorities expected, around 20-30% more people, a success which would be due to the fact that Paris 2024 relied on the departments (with the principle of one day per department, and each department organizes plenty of activities for its day).

https://www.lemonde.fr/sport/article/2024/05/17/paris-2024-succes-populaire-pour-les-debuts-du-relais-de-la-flamme-olympique_6233846_3242.html

• Thanks 1

New stage which has been added to the route of the Olympic flame (nothing to do with New Caledonia, the information was already out a week ago but I have only just seen it).

On May 21 (i.e. Tuesday), the Olympic flame will be in Cannes during the Cannes Film Festival. This same day the name of the director of the official film for the Paris 2024 games will be revealed.

This does not shift the other days of the relay since there was initially a gap between May 20 and 22 (which was therefore filled).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sebastien1214 said:

On May 21 (i.e. Tuesday), the Olympic flame will be in Cannes during the Cannes Film Festival. This same day the name of the director of the official film for the Paris 2024 games will be revealed.

Who are the leading candidates for that slot at this stage?  

On 5/19/2024 at 6:57 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Who are the leading candidates for that slot at this stage?  

I do not know at all.

The Paralympic Games are in 100 days, and the Paralympic flame will cross the Channel Tunnel, via the service tunnel. There will be 24 English torchbearers and 24 French torchbearers under the tunnel, with probably the passage of the flame between our two countries right at the “land” border.

spacer.png

https://www.huffingtonpost.fr/jo-paris-2024/article/jeux-paralympiques-de-paris-la-flamme-paralympique-va-passer-dans-le-tunnel-sous-la-manche-voici-comment-clx2_225577.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sebastien1214 said:

I do not know at all.

The Paralympic Games are in 100 days, and the Paralympic flame will cross the Channel Tunnel, via the service tunnel. There will be 24 English torchbearers and 24 French torchbearers under the tunnel, with probably the passage of the flame between our two countries right at the “land” border.

spacer.png

https://www.huffingtonpost.fr/jo-paris-2024/article/jeux-paralympiques-de-paris-la-flamme-paralympique-va-passer-dans-le-tunnel-sous-la-manche-voici-comment-clx2_225577.html

Why 24 torchbearers on each side?  Shouldn't it be 1,012 torchbearers on each side to make 2024:blink: Estanguet miscounted!:wacko:  Hopefully, none of the "48" will be claustrophobic!! 

It will be the Bunker Battle of Agincourt all over again!!  

This whole phase of the Paralymphatic Relay reminds me of the Anglo-French (alphabetical order) thriller (see below) -- (I still have to see the original Norwegian version.) I think the Handover on the Channel/Dimanche would've been more photogenic.  I mean it's in the Service Tunnel -- jeez . . . 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I’ve been looking for a host site to post about this here (it’s all over Facebook and Instagram, but you can’t repost those here). Do you know of any, or the details, @sebastien1214 or @Cyriln?

It appears that while they aren’t giving out Olympic torches fro the relay, you CAN get your hands on a mini-torch. They’re planting these at secret locations across France for people to find and keep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

I’ve been looking for a host site to post about this here (it’s all over Facebook and Instagram, but you can’t repost those here). Do you know of any, or the details, @sebastien1214 or @Cyriln?

It appears that while they aren’t giving out Olympic torches fro the relay, you CAN get your hands on a mini-torch. They’re planting these at secret locations across France for people to find and keep.

Well, I didn't know at all that there was this organized "treasure game". This is the first time I've seen this video.

11 minutes ago, Cyriln said:

I've seen it on the Play part of the Paris 2024 website but it's not really highlighted. Maybe in the cities concerned (except for Paris, it's the day the torch relay is in those cities)... The map is here → https://torch-hunt.olympics.com/

Thanks Cyriln.

Okay, from that site, they showed the challenge/rules

About

The Torch Hunt is an exhilarating adventure that brings the spirit of the Olympics into the public space through technology and exploration. 
The Olympics and artist 3dfiti are collaborating to develop a unique scavenger hunt experience involving the discovery of 3D-printed mini torches hidden in various locations along the Olympic Torch Relay tour of France and its territories ahead of the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.
Participants who find a torch can claim ownership by scanning its QR code. But that's not all – scanning the code might reveal special surprises or challenges, making the hunt even more thrilling.

Rules

1. Discovery is based on a first-come, first-served principle. The swift and the curious are rewarded.
2. Claim your torch by scanning the QR code immediately upon discovery. Failure to do so renders the torch "lost," making it unclaimable thereafter.
3. Safety first. While we encourage enthusiasm and determination, your well-being is paramount. Do not endanger yourself or others during the hunt.