Paris 2024 Torch relay

2 minutes ago, yoshi said:

who was the last guy who lit the cauldron?

It was Jul, the most popular rapper in France, who is from Marseille.

L'Équipe announced earlier that it would be Zidane but well, oops...

Yeah, everybody expect an athlete (Marie-José Pérec) but it may really be anyone. And it shows that the organizers really don't give a f*** about "controversies" from conservatives.

The concert is streamed on Youtube by Coca-Cola, it looks like it's not geoblocked.

I feel like the final torch bearer will still be an athlete. This is a much more important Olympic tradition than the identity of who lights up the cauldron at the end of the day on the relay. 

I like that Jul got to light the cauldron tonight because it showed that the games are much more than a sporting event and it's a good way to get the people talking. In the end, the relay is nothing more than a big promotional tool to get people to pay notice to the games. It makes sense.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the end, this ceremony was a bit like the Paris 2024 handover, but better. Very nice to see. Apparently, there were even more people than expected, especially along the Marseille coast. The gauge was announced at 150,000 people, but if we include those who were elsewhere than at the Old Port, I would not be surprised if the total attendance was 200-250k people. The funniest thing, ultimately, is having broken the attendance records for all the Olympic ceremonies... even though it's "just" for the arrival of the flame. Hoping that what was done today can give ideas to future host countries/cities, starting with LA 2028 in four years. In any case, clearly, the objective of the day has been largely achieved.

For those who want to watch the replay on the Olympics YouTube channel (start at 31:59):

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sebastien1214 said:

I would not be surprised if the total attendance was 200-250k people.

Marseille's mayor announces 230k people on Twitter.

It was maybe too much compared to what was planned: there have been some traffic problems between people who left the zone after the flame arrival and those who came for the concert. Nothing serious happened but the concert had to be delayed by 40 minutes.

57 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Oh, thank you - I was expecting an athlete of some description lol :lol: Maybe a hint at a left-field non-athlete choice of lighter on July 26?

10 minutes ago, DamC said:

I feel like the final torch bearer will still be an athlete. This is a much more important Olympic tradition than the identity of who lights up the cauldron at the end of the day on the relay. 

I like that Jul got to light the cauldron tonight because it showed that the games are much more than a sporting event and it's a good way to get the people talking. In the end, the relay is nothing more than a big promotional tool to get people to pay notice to the games. It makes sense.

Two curveballs that could be interesting on this front:

1) An winter olympic athlete, because Chamonix 1924 happened as much years ago as Paris 1924;

2) Someone from the Coubertain Family, because why not. 

In both cases and any other normal guess however, i think that our final calduron lighter will be a woman. Bonus points if she's dressed like Marianne, the face of the actual logo of the games. Would be too symbolic to pass in the first gender balanced summer games.

10 minutes ago, sebastien1214 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the end, this ceremony was a bit like the Paris 2024 handover, but better. Very nice to see. Apparently, there were even more people than expected, especially along the Marseille coast. The gauge was announced at 150,000 people, but if we include those who were elsewhere than at the Old Port, I would not be surprised if the total attendance was 200-250k people. The funniest thing, ultimately, is having broken the attendance records for all the Olympic ceremonies... even though it's "just" for the arrival of the flame. Hoping that what was done today can give ideas to future host countries/cities, starting with LA 2028 in four years. In any case, clearly, the objective of the day has been largely achieved.

For those who want to watch the replay on the Olympics YouTube channel (start at 31:59):

You françoais are only getting started with this show and i can already say it's going really well! Enjoy the flame staying in your country, all french people in the forum. Maybe run alongside the torch for a while when it passes in your town. Even if some president get's impeached in the meanwhile!(in a nod to the time it went in my country) It's really gonna be fun!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Guilga said:

2) Someone from the Coubertain Family, because why not. 

Impossible. In France, Pierre de Coubertin is very controversial, so much so that we hardly talk about him, we prefer to forget him. His colonialist ideas and his proximity to certain Nazi dignitaries make him problematic here. This is also why we should not expect the slightest tribute to him during the OOC (in any case, if it happens, I will be surprised).

Personally, I still believe in Marie-José Pérec. But on the other hand, we were waiting for Zidane to be present in Marseille and we still haven't seen him. So...

2 minutes ago, sebastien1214 said:

Impossible. In France, Pierre de Coubertin is very controversial, so much so that we hardly talk about him, we prefer to forget him. His colonialist ideas and his proximity to certain Nazi dignitaries make him problematic here. This is also why we should not expect the slightest tribute to him during the OOC (in any case, if it happens, I will be surprised).

Personally, I still believe in Marie-José Pérec. But on the other hand, we were waiting for Zidane to be present in Marseille and we still haven't seen him. So...

Ah, really good call and good to learn. Is there some place to read more about that, i'm curious now. The nazi stuff, given his condensedence to Berlin 36 is to be expected, but the colonialist stuff is news to me, even if not surprising given his status as well.

5 minutes ago, Guilga said:

Ah, really good call and good to learn. Is there some place to read more about that, i'm curious now. The nazi stuff, given his condensedence to Berlin 36 is to be expected, but the colonialist stuff is news to me, even if not surprising given his status as well.

https://archive.ph/YRdzY

I don't know if English-language newspapers have covered the subject - probably. But here is in any case a rather detailed article from Le Monde in French (use Google Translate)

1 minute ago, sebastien1214 said:

https://archive.ph/YRdzY

I don't know if English-language newspapers have covered the subject - probably. But here is in any case a rather detailed article from Le Monde in French (use Google Translate)

Thank you! A really good read. And hoo boy, Coubertain is really lucky to have had one good idea in life because all his other ones... Imagine being a monarchist in a French Republic, lol. To not say about the mysogny and racism... I also chuckled when the article said about the 1900 games being ofuscated by my country very own Santos-Dumont!

2 hours ago, sebastien1214 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

A great appetiser for the relay, a great advert for Marseille - a great success :) Hopefully the idea of an opening ceremony for the torch relay (that's what this is) catches on, because it's a great way to mark a very important step on the final countdown to the Games. I think the US always starts its relays from its last host city, so presumably the responsibility for following it will fall to Atlanta - & I can totally see a similar show being done on Sydney Harbour for 32. My bet is that today was a strong launch for a new Olympic tradition :)

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2024 at 11:47 AM, yoshi said:

Yup, that is how you welcome a flame properly ^_^ Land's End looks a bit lame now...who was the last guy who lit the cauldron? I was expecting Zinedine but it wasn't him. Cauldron looks very pretty on stage tbf, especially lit.

I don't see them giving the honor to Zinedine/  How quickly we forget that he head-butted the ref or something in the next major game.  Marie-Josee is yesterday's news.  Right now, the leading candidates are Ngapeth of the Volleyball team, Laure Manadou and that old-timer Costa.  Plus, they may call on a cousin of mine -- a living Coubertin cousin to also do the honors.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
x

23 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I don't see them giving the honor to Zinedine/  How quickly we forget that he head-butted the ref or something in the next major game.  Marie-Josee is yesterday's news.  Right now, the leading candidates are Ngapeth of the Volleyball team, Laure Manadou and that old-timer Costa.  Plus, they may call on a cousin of mine -- a living Coubertin cousin to also do the honors.  

I think he was talking about the Marseille cauldron, not the final cauldron during the opening ceremony.

For the names you cited:

- Ngapeth has been sentenced several times (including a one-year suspended prison sentence), so it is absolutely impossible to see him light the Olympic cauldron. The controversy would be far too great.
- Laure Manaudou has already had the honor of being the first French woman to receive the Olympic flame. I don't think she will have another honor; even more so since his own brother was the first bearer of the flame in France. It would be too much for the Manaudou family.
- Also impossible for someone from Coubertin's family because he is a very controversial personality in France (I already explained above)
- Costa? I can't see who you're talking about

@sebastien1214 -- see that whole thread (below).  Actually, in a few past SOGs, there is a link/hint between whomever is the first Lighter to receive the flame in either Greece or at the host country and who ends up being the Final lighter.  Coste is the oldest living French Olympian and is a fried of TE.  (See that separate thread on Who WIll Be the Last Lighter for 2024?)

On 5/9/2024 at 4:05 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

@sebastien1214 -- see that whole thread (below).  Actually, in a few past SOGs, there is a link/hint between whomever is the first Lighter to receive the flame in either Greece or at the host country and who ends up being the Final lighter.  Coste is the oldest living French Olympian and is a fried of TE.  (See that separate thread on Who WIll Be the Last Lighter for 2024?)

Well, the first person to receive the flame in Greece was Gabriella Papadakis - the obvious link to her would be Guillaume Cizeron, but I can't see him being the one who lights the cauldron since they're winter Olympians and we've got Nice-Alpes Francaise to look forward to in 6 years.

1 hour ago, Karenina said:

Well, the first person to receive the flame in Greece was Gabriella Papadakis - the obvious link to her would be Guillaume Cizeron, but I can't see him being the one who lights the cauldron since they're winter Olympians and we've got Nice-Alpes Francaise to look forward to in 6 years.

No, it wasn't.  Papadakis was the 3rd to the last runner in Athens who passed the flame then on to Paralympian Beatirce Hess then on to the Greek water polo captain.  First French person to receive the Flame earlier in Olympia was Laure Manadou.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV