Rugby World Cup 2015

Since when has the Rugby World Cup been likely to be held in Britain in 2015? Parts of Britain are staging it this year because the powers that be won't learn the lessons of the past.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since when has the Rugby World Cup been likely to be held in Britain in 2015? Parts of Britain are staging it this year because the powers that be won't learn the lessons of the past.

Can't believe I'm agreeing with you arwebb,

So far only South Africa and Australia have been "sole" hosts of this event, New Zealand the next.

Why oh why do the "Home" nations continue with this farce! France was quite capiable to host the WC by its'self. Not including England in this year's event is a stupid excuse to say the event will be Gaulllic/Celtic.

Likewise the 1999 event was supposed to be Welsh! The only time New Zealand got anywhere near Wales was when it all came to an end in the 3rd/4th play off spot.

If Japan or Argentina decide to not chase 2015, then expect Canada and the USA to bid.

Although I don't like the idea of multiple hosting, logic dictates that Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Romania should have had the chance to partner up with France.

Europe is now the powerhouse of rugby, (and I'm saying this as a Kiwi) strength and fincially while London is ground zero. There has to be a better way to manage this "hosting" thing! :angry:

The only reason that games will be staged in Cardiff and Edinburgh this time round is because games were offered to those unions, and to Ireland I'm pretty sure, if they voted for France over England in the bid. You're absolutely right. France, England, possibly Italy, are capable of staging a Rugby World Cup on their own. The problem is that it is hard to see Scotland, Wales or Ireland doing it alone at the present moment. They simply do not have enough suitable venues on their own.

There's also the problem that the IRB board is so set up that the Home Unions have the balance of power, with Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England each having vote and already accounting for a third of the board. Thus, anyone after a hosting has a big power bloc to contend with, and what better way to get that bloc on side but to promise them a match or two.

There's also the problem that the IRB board is so set up that the Home Unions have the balance of power, with Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England each having vote and already accounting for a third of the board. Thus, anyone after a hosting has a big power bloc to contend with, and what better way to get that bloc on side but to promise them a match or two.

Yes it seems these "countries" line up with England every time, still the idea of Scotland and Ireland hosting prehaps 2019 would be sufficiant. If a nation is small, then a partner is always the best option - but only one!

As 1987 showed, this works,- NZ couldn't have done it without Sydney and Brisbane's help.

Line up with England every time? So what happened with the 2007 vote?

And the 2011 vote _ it was my understanding that England and Australia were the two most vocal backers of Japan, but it was the Celts siding with NZ that got the Shakey isles over the line.

and if England goes up against Japan in the bid for 2015, there goes they're one of Japan supporters. I'm actually very interested for see what England would come up with if they do bid gainst Japan. The RFU was so vocal about they stance on where the 2011 world cup should be held (the whole japan globalising rugby thing), what are they going to say when they come up against Japan?

yea i suppose i agree with you. I would like to see the games go to an emerging rugby nation such as the US or Canada. The only problem is whether they could attract the crowds?

That's a good question. I know that Japan were original frontrunners for the 2011 world cup but ended up going to NZ due to IRB beliefs that it would attaract very little interest in Japan and potentially cause rugby popularity to die down or whatever. However rugby is somewhat more popular in Canada and US than it is in Japan so maybe they might have more of a chance. However, I do feel pretty sure that if South Africa choose to place a bid for the 2015 world cup, they would have a high chance considering they would have a number of top facilities left over from the 2010 soccer world cup and very little upgrading and infrustrature work would be required. And the same thing would apply to Scotland or Ireland, etc - if any of those countires place a bid they would also have a better chance than a North American bid considering they are traditional rugby nations.

An item of interest with a few points:

* The qualification process will be freed up with 12 automatic qualifiers

* The bidding circus for 2015 to start-up next year:

Changes made to Rugby World Cup

Raises the prospect of several Tier 2 Unions obtaining automatic qualification

11 May 2007

DUBAI - The qualifying structure for future Rugby World Cups is to be changed to better reflect the modern Game and to increase the profile of one of the world’s largest sporting events.

Following a meeting of the Rugby World Cup Board it has been announced that changes will be made to the tournament’s qualification process for RWC 2011 onwards and that the number of automatic qualifiers will increase to 12 places.

"In recognition of the amount of Rugby now being played and the implications on the establishment of an integrated season the RWC Board has decided that there should be 12 automatic qualifying places for future tournaments.

This will serve to reduce the potential number of international matches that would have to be played in the years before a tournament by those teams who did not make the quarter-finals of the previous RWC, reducing fixture congestion," said IRB Chairman, Dr Syd Millar.

"With the top three teams in each pool qualifying directly to the next RWC this new process raises the prospect of several Tier 2 Unions obtaining automatic qualification.

This does not happen at present and it will add excitement and relevance to more pool matches at each tournament, including RWC 2007," added Dr Millar.

The qualification process will see greater recognition given to the major regional championships in the Americas, Africa, Asia, Europe and Oceania.

In another exciting development, the introduction of a World Trophy qualifying tournament the year before RWC, will provide matches at an appropriate level for Tier Two and Three Unions with the added incentive of qualification to Rugby World Cup.

Such a move is the culmination of the IRB’s Strategic Initiatives, aimed at increasing the overall competitiveness of international Rugby and RWC.The exact number of qualifiers from the regional championships and the World Trophy qualifying tournament will depend upon the number of teams that will participate in each RWC finals tournament.

The RWC Board is presently reviewing this number that presently stands at 20 teams, along with the use of the IRB World Rankings to determine the seedings and draw for the tournament.

"The World Trophy tournament, played at one venue, with places determined from the regional championship competitions will be highly competitive.

The tournament along with the upgrading of the regional championships will replace the existing qualifying process that has in the past duplicated existing match schedules and the repechage process that sees teams qualify very late in the lead up to RWC," added Dr Millar.

The tender process for the host Union of Rugby World Cup 2015 will begin in 2008.

Sapa

An item of interest with a few points:

* The qualification process will be freed up with 12 automatic qualifiers

* The bidding circus for 2015 to start-up next year:

Changes made to Rugby World Cup

Raises the prospect of several Tier 2 Unions obtaining automatic qualification

11 May 2007

DUBAI - The qualifying structure for future Rugby World Cups is to be changed to better reflect the modern Game and to increase the profile of one of the world’s largest sporting events.

Following a meeting of the Rugby World Cup Board it has been announced that changes will be made to the tournament’s qualification process for RWC 2011 onwards and that the number of automatic qualifiers will increase to 12 places.

"In recognition of the amount of Rugby now being played and the implications on the establishment of an integrated season the RWC Board has decided that there should be 12 automatic qualifying places for future tournaments.

This will serve to reduce the potential number of international matches that would have to be played in the years before a tournament by those teams who did not make the quarter-finals of the previous RWC, reducing fixture congestion," said IRB Chairman, Dr Syd Millar.

"With the top three teams in each pool qualifying directly to the next RWC this new process raises the prospect of several Tier 2 Unions obtaining automatic qualification.

This does not happen at present and it will add excitement and relevance to more pool matches at each tournament, including RWC 2007," added Dr Millar.

The qualification process will see greater recognition given to the major regional championships in the Americas, Africa, Asia, Europe and Oceania.

In another exciting development, the introduction of a World Trophy qualifying tournament the year before RWC, will provide matches at an appropriate level for Tier Two and Three Unions with the added incentive of qualification to Rugby World Cup.

Such a move is the culmination of the IRB’s Strategic Initiatives, aimed at increasing the overall competitiveness of international Rugby and RWC.The exact number of qualifiers from the regional championships and the World Trophy qualifying tournament will depend upon the number of teams that will participate in each RWC finals tournament.

The RWC Board is presently reviewing this number that presently stands at 20 teams, along with the use of the IRB World Rankings to determine the seedings and draw for the tournament.

"The World Trophy tournament, played at one venue, with places determined from the regional championship competitions will be highly competitive.

The tournament along with the upgrading of the regional championships will replace the existing qualifying process that has in the past duplicated existing match schedules and the repechage process that sees teams qualify very late in the lead up to RWC," added Dr Millar.

The tender process for the host Union of Rugby World Cup 2015 will begin in 2008.

Sapa

I'd love to see the Peoples Republic of China bid for 2015, manly just to rile up Japan!

The statement from Dr Millar about a World Trophy gets us somewhere close to what England were proposing for this year's tournament. Too late now.

Good news as well about a larger number of qualifiers. It does seem daft that nations like Italy and Samoa, etc still have to pre-qualify.

• 4 months later...
ENGLAND BID TO STAGE 2015 WORLD CUP

Twickenham

Sunday October 14,2007

ENGLAND could stage the Rugby World Cup in 2015 – if the International Rugby Board change its rules.

The IRB currently awards the World Cup on a one-off basis and New Zealand are set to host the tournament in four years’ time after beating off a bid from Japan.

But the IRB wants to change the rules to allow itself to award two tournaments at once in a bid to increase revenue.

This year’s tournament in France is on target to record a £90million profit but it needs to push future income even higher to prop up its £30m-a-year rugby programme.

And they know that their best chance is to award the RFU the rights to the tournament on the nod when they make a decision in two years’ time.

England last hosted the Rugby World Cup in 1991 when the international team were defeated 12-6 by Australia in the final at Twickenham. They were beaten in their bid to stage this year’s tournament when France cut a deal with Wales and Scotland to give them matches in return for votes.

In the end, they didn’t need to do that, with England only winning the support of one other nation when the votes were counted.

The RFU projected profits of around £200m and those are the kind of figures the IRB needs to ensure it can increase its current funding levels.

The promised financial windfall should be enough to see the RFU get the support it needs to see off what is almost certain to be intense competition.

The French have come under fire for staging a fragmented competition and the IRB is likely

to rule out a bid by Ireland, Scotland and Wales to host the 2015 tournament.

South Africa, who were the hosts in 1995, are also keen to stage the tournament again but their bid is fraught with problems.

Soaring crime levels and a weak economy mean the South Africans are unlikely to be in a

position to deliver the kind of revenues that the IRB is set to demand.

The IRB hopes that if 2015 brings in huge profits, it will be then able to award the 2019 tournament to an emerging nation like Japan.

The bidding process for the 2015 tournament will start next year with a decision on who

hosts the tournament being made in 2009.

The RFU is ready to dust off its failed bid, which was set to give the rebuilt Wembley Stadium four matches including a semi-final.

Football grounds, like Manchester’s Old Trafford, Newcastle’s St James Park and Liverpool’s proposed new ground in Stanley Park, would also be bought on board.

Sunday Express

Looks like an interesting formula to enable a rugby new frontiers country to host, while still appeasing the "Old Boys".

<_< Can you blame them!

With England on the verge of a history make final game, all of a sudden should we be saying - why not.

I heard somebody talking about a possible 2015 bid the other day so this isn't a complete surprise. I don't blame the RFU for thinking about it, but I'd rather we went for 2019 and 2015 goes to a new nation.

I heard somebody talking about a possible 2015 bid the other day so this isn't a complete surprise. I don't blame the RFU for thinking about it, but I'd rather we went for 2019 and 2015 goes to a new nation.

I'm impressed with your consistency _ I did wonder with England (along with Oz) being the main backers for Japan 2011 how a 2015 bid would be justified by England. I'd probably prefer Japan to get 2015 too, but I could be appeased with a formula like this that seems tobe trying to please both sides.

It's an intresting concept although I'd prefer seeing the first "new" rugby world cup go to somewhere like Argentina or Italy. I can see from a logistics point of view the strength in a Japanese world cup but I know Japan, I’ve lived there, I speak the language as well as doing work for a Japanese publication, I can tell you the interest there would be absolutely minimal. But then again it would be the safer route and maybe that would be best for the cup.

QUOTE:Soaring crime levels and a weak economy mean the South Africans are unlikely to be in a

position to deliver the kind of revenues that the IRB is set to demand.

lol..weak economy?. our economy is at its best ever. we've just secured FIFA $3.5 dollars in revenue. higher local sponsorship than korea japan....and we're about to win the world cup itself. magnificent stadia and cities.

Being selfish, if 2015 goes to a new union, I'd prefer almost anywhere to Italy, so we can go for 2019 and have a serious chance of getting it.

Hmm yes...I do like the idea of Argentina being the host of 2015, they have been the team that has flown the highest at this RWC, at worst they are fourth best in the world! :)

If England win the 2018 FifaWC, would that ruin a 2019 bid?

Hmm yes...I do like the idea of Argentina being the host of 2015, they have been the team that has flown the highest at this RWC, at worst they are fourth best in the world! :)

If England win the 2018 FifaWC, would that ruin a 2019 bid?

IF they got the FIFA 2018 finals, and IF they got Glasgow 2014, then maybe RWC 2015 or even 2019 is starting to look a bit overkill after the 2012 Olympics as well. We've already seen Korea's 2014 winter bid stumble over already having too many other hostings.

It's a possibility, but there is nothing official to suggest we're even throwing our hats in for a Rugby World Cup in the near future, especially if Scotland and Ireland are seriously looking at it.

Archived