Rugby World Cup 2015

Don't forget 2019 Cricket World Cup too. 2014 and 2018 Ryder Cups and the usual round of Wimbledon, The Open, Premiership Football, FA Cup Final, Ascot, Grand National, The Derby, London Marathon etc...

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't forget 2019 Cricket World Cup too. 2014 and 2018 Ryder Cups and the usual round of Wimbledon, The Open, Premiership Football, FA Cup Final, Ascot, Grand National, The Derby, London Marathon etc...

I think the plan was to take the Ryder Cup around continental Europe after Gleneagles in 2014.

Best bid financially, certainly. It doesn't get many points otherwise and I'm pleased that the Cardiff issue isn't yet cut and dried.

What, It doesn't get many points otherwise in terms of it's stadia - is Twickenham, Wembley, Old Trafford etc not good enough.

Nonsense, it should have been Italy-Japan, if they were serious about spreading the game and expanding the market they just screwed it up again and left a very sour taste in both Italy and South Africa's mouth. South Africa was begged to bid for Christ sacks.

Nonsense, it should have been Italy-Japan, if they were serious about spreading the game and expanding the market they just screwed it up again and left a very sour taste in both Italy and South Africa's mouth. South Africa was begged to bid for Christ sacks.

I probably would have been pleasantly surprised to see Italy win. But it was probably a frontier-to-far to expect back-to-back Axis hostings. And if japan had lost again, there would have beemn all hue and cry to contend with.

I agree, South Africa can probably start pencilling in 2023 now.

What, It doesn't get many points otherwise in terms of it's stadia - is Twickenham, Wembley, Old Trafford etc not good enough.

I've made this argument before but, to repeat it, it's my view that the balance of the England bid was all wrong, both in terms of the venues put forward and the share of games, particularly in the knockout stages.

First, let me take the general venues point. I'm not knocking the presence of grounds like Wembley and Old Trafford in the bid. Far from it. My concern is that there aren't enough smaller venues in the plan, venues that could take some of the lesser games in the pool stages and be able to host them in front of something close to full houses. Speaking hypothetically, if you have, for example, Romania v Portugal in the pool stage, is that going to fill any of the stadia you've mentioned? No, it isn't. There should be more venues like Kingsholm in the plan, which will make for a better spectacle and do more in terms of taking the game to the people.

With regard to the sharing out of games, I realise that we don't have a definitive fixture list yet. But it surely cannot be right that London hosts two quarter-finals, both semi-finals and the final, plus the third and fourth place playoff, can it?

I've made this argument before but, to repeat it, it's my view that the balance of the England bid was all wrong, both in terms of the venues put forward and the share of games, particularly in the knockout stages.

First, let me take the general venues point. I'm not knocking the presence of grounds like Wembley and Old Trafford in the bid. Far from it. My concern is that there aren't enough smaller venues in the plan, venues that could take some of the lesser games in the pool stages and be able to host them in front of something close to full houses. Speaking hypothetically, if you have, for example, Romania v Portugal in the pool stage, is that going to fill any of the stadia you've mentioned? No, it isn't. There should be more venues like Kingsholm in the plan, which will make for a better spectacle and do more in terms of taking the game to the people.

With regard to the sharing out of games, I realise that we don't have a definitive fixture list yet. But it surely cannot be right that London hosts two quarter-finals, both semi-finals and the final, plus the third and fourth place playoff, can it?

If London is where the big stadia is (Twickenham / Wembley) then why not? The rugby authorities in England obviously want to create spectacle and London is crucial to that and I'm sure they know what they are doing.

I do like your point about smaller stadiums, however it is hypothetical to say certain matches will not fill stadiums. No-one knows who will end up quarter finals etc yet. England has a huge rugby culture so I'm sure everything will turn out great!

Well lets just hope England gets to host ALL it's matches. I have no problem with London hosting the majority of matches. Probibly the only city in the world that can do it! :unsure:

But then, England was the Flag host of 1991 and matches everywhere else as well... :angry: But I stand by my mantra...Sole hosts only!!!!!!

If London is where the big stadia is (Twickenham / Wembley) then why not? The rugby authorities in England obviously want to create spectacle and London is crucial to that and I'm sure they know what they are doing.

I do like your point about smaller stadiums, however it is hypothetical to say certain matches will not fill stadiums. No-one knows who will end up quarter finals etc yet. England has a huge rugby culture so I'm sure everything will turn out great!

London may be crucial, but it is surely not so crucial that the bid had to be skewed in such an obvious and unnecessary manner. I would not object to both semi-finals being at Twickenham, if you then take the quarter-finals elsewhere. Why not have one at Wembley, one at Old Trafford, one in Newcastle and one in Birmingham. That would be a far fairer spread.

You might say it's hypothetical about some games not filling big grounds. I say it's realistic. Some of the smaller games are an ideal opportunity to take rugby to places it might not otherwise go and really get the people behind the competition in a way I don't think will happen now. I hope I'm wrong but I'm confident I won't be.

London may be crucial, but it is surely not so crucial that the bid had to be skewed in such an obvious and unnecessary manner. I would not object to both semi-finals being at Twickenham, if you then take the quarter-finals elsewhere. Why not have one at Wembley, one at Old Trafford, one in Newcastle and one in Birmingham. That would be a far fairer spread.

You might say it's hypothetical about some games not filling big grounds. I say it's realistic. Some of the smaller games are an ideal opportunity to take rugby to places it might not otherwise go and really get the people behind the competition in a way I don't think will happen now. I hope I'm wrong but I'm confident I won't be.

Ultimately, it is a rugby tournament and not a social program for regenerating or showcasing smaller venues which might otherwise not get exposure. Host the matches in the best venues regardless of where they are - as it stands the venues are pretty spread and do encompass the south and the north of the country and even Cardiff. I think it is a good bid personally.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

the top 3 of the 2011 RWC pool stages are automatically qualify for 2015 Rugby World Cup to be hosted by England from 4 September to 17 October 2015

New Zealand

France

Tonga

England

Argentina

Scotland

Ireland

Australia

Italy

South Africa

Wales

Samoa

• 2 weeks later...

:mellow: Talk has arisin regarding the Bronze Final...and it's relevance. There is IRB talk that it will be scrapped in England.

Have to admit, the game feels pointless. For the two loosing Semi-finalists, why bother when you've qualified for the next tournament.

Yeah, I really think they should just let the teams hoof it home, let em have a beer or few - who really wants to play that match.

:mellow: It had relevance in the three Amature Era tournaments, the bronze winner qualified for the next cup. Pointless now that third place in the Pools up' qualify...

I hope someday that the United States hosts a Rugby World Cup. Like with the FIFA World Cup, I would think an American bid would be pretty easy in regards to the venues that would be required. The cities that would be a part of the bid wouldn't be that hard to find either.

I hope someday that the United States hosts a Rugby World Cup. Like with the FIFA World Cup, I would think an American bid would be pretty easy in regards to the venues that would be required. The cities that would be a part of the bid wouldn't be that hard to find either.

It would be, rugby is followed in New England, the Carolinas and the SFBA. Not the most adjacent locations.

It would be, rugby is followed in New England, the Carolinas and the SFBA. Not the most adjacent locations.

Still...The USA would be a great host. add in the LA area as well since a Sevens enclave is based there.

Archived