Rugby World Cup 2015

In Chile, it's of course not a major sport, but yes, they do have some Rugby.

Remember the film "Alive!" about the rugby team that crashed in the Andes and ended up cannibalising those who'd died? They were a Uruguayan team flying to compete in a match in Chile.

according to the latest world ranking from the irb (international rugby board)

Argentina 8th

Uruguay 18

Chile 24

USA 14

Canada 13

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chile probably need to get to a World Cup before they can host a part of it, though.

Yea that is true, but if the IRB is wanting the develop the game into a world wide sport then this would be a good area to develop! Did any one see the All Blacks V Argentina game today, it was played in Argentina and there was an ok crowd but the atmosphere was brilliant

Still believe Japan would win favour for 2015, but the race to the finish line will be a sprint with Argentina...now a growing Rugby power with more cred than Japan. (just look what they nearly did to NZ last week!).

They've been threatening that for a long time. Nobody will want to play them next year.

Spain and Portugal would be a very good potential bid, but it may get swallowed up by European competition. Italy hasn't hosted either.

• 3 months later...

It looks like we can pencil in Scotland for a bid:

City scores with rugby fans to host Golden Oldies event

BRIAN FERGUSON

CITY COUNCIL REPORTER (bferguson@edinburghnews.com)

EDINBURGH is to host the world's biggest rugby festival for the first time, it was announced today.

More than 3000 participants are expected to descend on the Capital when the Golden Oldies World Rugby Festival is held in the city in two years' time.

Around 125 teams from 15 countries are expected to travel from around the world to take part in the event, which is expected to generate at least £4 million for the city's economy.

The eight-day event, planned to be held in September 2008 at Murrayfield Stadium and the playing fields at Saughton Park, will see teams of veteran players aged 35 and over battle it out.

It is hoped the securing of the 17th event for Edinburgh will boost Scotland's chances of the 2015 Rugby World Cup being held here. The Evening News revealed plans to bring the event to Edinburgh earlier this year, with the city's bid backed by the Scottish Rugby Union, EventScotland, Scottish Enterprise Edinburgh and Lothian, VisitScotland and Edinburgh City Council.

Golden Oldies rugby gives people 35 years and over an opportunity to continue enjoying their favourite sport and to compete at a major event. The festival is said to focus on "fun, friendship and fraternity" and teams can be formed by anyone over 35 and do not have to be affiliated to any club, union or association. Just 15 teams featured in the first golden oldies tournament when it was held in Auckland in 1979.

The biannual event has since travelled the world to locations like Sydney, Toronto, Vancouver, Cape Town Adelaide, Toulouse and Wellington, but it has only been held once in the UK before, in London in 1985.

Edinburgh's Lord Provost Lesley Hinds said: "The 2008 festival gives Edinburgh the opportunity to demonstrate itself as a world class events destination. Our city also has a very strong rugby heritage and the event will undoubtedly receive much support from the community."

EventScotland chief executive David Williams said:

"We and partners have worked hard to put together an attractive bid and for such an outcome to be achieved is terrific news. Edinburgh's bid has beaten international contenders and attracting such an event demonstrates further Scotland's increased standing as a premier events destination."

First Minister of Scotland Jack McConnell said: "The city will offer the best of Scottish hospitality sharing in the festival spirit of fun, friendship and fraternity and provide you with an experience that you will never forget.

"We will welcome the Golden Oldies family to our Capital and the magnificent national rugby stadium, Murrayfield, which is only a short distance from the social hub of the city centre."

Stephen Gallagher, of SE Edinburgh and Lothian, added: "Large scale and international events such as these generate huge economic benefits for the host city by attracting more overseas visitors as well as promoting our city to a global audience.

"Over the next two years we will be working with local businesses to ensure that they can capitalise on the opportunities that this event will generate."

Scotsman.com

I wonder who Scotland would co-bid with? England and the the other home nations, or a purely Celtic cup (Wales & Ireland)

It looks like we can pencil in Scotland for a bid:

I wonder who Scotland would co-bid with? England and the the other home nations, or a purely Celtic cup (Wales & Ireland)

Tricky one to call, this. Historically, with the 1991 and 1999 tournaments, games and revenues were shared between the traditional Five Nations (England, France, Scotland, Wales and Ireland). However, for next year's tournament, France offered games to Wales, Scotland and Ireland to help them win their bid over England, despite England having what was, in my view, a far better proposal for the future of the sport as a whole.

Much as they may wish to host solo, which is what I would prefer, I think they will be forced into a joint arrangement for logistical reasons more than anything else.

2015 japan is important for the future of the IRB

Well, I don't want to stir that pot again, but I'm not confident Japan will get 2015, even if they do bid. If there's a decent Home Nations bid, and we already know at least Scotland's in the frame, I think the numbers in the IRB will go to them.

If that happens, though, I'd say 2019 is almost Japan's to lose _ by then it will be the "rest of world's" time again, Oz and NZ will have hosted recently and South Africa could well be in an Olympic preparations frenzy. It'll be time for a new frontier.

Of course Japan will be strong for 2015. It will be good for rugby but do i think it is the holy key to the globalisation of rugby? No, but of course it will help. i think the best thing Japan could do is not let old Mori head the bid this time round. He is not the most popular man in Japan and im sure he didnt make any friends on the IRB when with his reaction to the 2011 bid.

Well, I don't want to stir that pot again, but I'm not confident Japan will get 2015, even if they do bid. If there's a decent Home Nations bid, and we already know at least Scotland's in the frame, I think the numbers in the IRB will go to them.

If that happens, though, I'd say 2019 is almost Japan's to lose _ by then it will be the "rest of world's" time again, Oz and NZ will have hosted recently and South Africa could well be in an Olympic preparations frenzy. It'll be time for a new frontier.

The key question there is what the other home unions decide to do. After losing 2007 so comprehensively, the issue of England hosting seems to have died away, particularly as talk of bidding for the 2018 football World Cup has come to the fore.

That said, I see no reason to stop England from bidding. We have the new South Stand at Twickenham which should be ready for the autumn Tests. Top level rugby is currently undergoing a major programme of stadium expansion, which will give us some smaller bid venues, plus the larger football stadia in rugby areas, such as Old Trafford or Eastlands near Sale Sharks, St James' Park in Newcastle and the Walkers Stadium in Leicester.

Scotland are certainly not able to host alone at the present moment and they weren't able to justify the building or renovation of sufficient stadia to bid for Euro 2008 on their own, so I'm not convinced whether this project would succeed. Ireland would also have major stadium development issues, regardless of whether they were able to use Gaelic football venues. So I would argue that Scotland has a lot of work to do. I think there is also a question of how much of an impact the Glasgow Commonwealth Games bid has on things.

the italian rugby federation is thinking of a possible bid for 2015 WC.. btw the president of FIR says it may be still too soon in terms of venues and financial efforts for such a yet low support sport in Italy.

'

I think Italy were dudded and should have been co-hosting RWC 2007 with France, instead of Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

• 4 weeks later...

Japan has confirmed they're going for it:

Mori: Japan will bid for 2015 Rugby World Cup

Rich Freeman / Daily Yomiuri Sportswriter

Japan Rugby Football Union President Yoshiro Mori all but confirmed on Thursday that Japan would be bidding to host the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

Speaking at a function at the Australian Embassy ahead of today's game between Japan and the Australian Prime Minister's XV, Mori recalled watching the 2003 final with Australian Prime Minister John Howard and thanked the Australian Rugby Union for its support in supporting Japan's failed bid to host the 2011 tournament.

"We have a great friendship with the ARU and know we can count on their support when we hope to host the 2015 World Cup," the former prime minister said.

The ARU voted for Japan ahead of New Zealand in last November's ballot at the International Rugby Board, a move that greatly upset the Kiwis.

Former ARU chairman Dilip Kumar, who was also present at the Embassy was eventually forced to quit as a result of the fallout of the ARU's decision.

But Kumar remains convinced the world's third largest sporting event has to come to Japan.

"It's got to happen," he said. "If the game is to ever really expand."

Guest tokyo2016

2015 Rugby World Cup Japan

In order to make Rugby with genuine global sport, opening other than traditional country is necessary.

The strong point of Japan size of stadium facility and standard, the economic ground which country is reliable, is sponsor benefit.

The japanese opening gives the impact which is large to Rugby development in Japan and Asia, probably will be. And The clear message, enlargement and globalization of Rugby is transmitted.

Oh well, the old thread went in the rediesign, so figured it was time to start a new one, now that there's some new news.

It's not specifically about a 2015 bid, but came across this item from the San Jose Mercury News, toputing a possibhle future USA bid for the tournament. At this stage we seem to have Scotland, possibly Ireland, and Japan expected to bid. The USA entering the mix would make it interesting.

Rugby makes US pitch

It would be interesting to see what kind of crowd turn out you would get for large international rugby matches in Japan. It's surprising just how many All Black's shirts, caps etc. you see in Tokyo and giving theyre large population, I wonder if they could full one of there largae stadiums for a rugby international.

Archived