Rugby World Cup 2015

Oh well, the old thread went in the rediesign, so figured it was time to start a new one, now that there's some new news.

It's not specifically about a 2015 bid, but came across this item from the San Jose Mercury News, toputing a possibhle future USA bid for the tournament. At this stage we seem to have Scotland, possibly Ireland, and Japan expected to bid. The USA entering the mix would make it interesting.

Rugby makes US pitch

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very interesting piece. There are a number of second-tier nations, the USA among them, who could well stage a successful Rugby World Cup. Japan, and perhaps Argentina, are probably ahead of them in the queue at the moment and Canada must also be in the fray.

What they need is to be given the opportunity by the IRB. After the 2011 decision, 2015 is presumably due to go back to the northern hemisphere, so only Argentina of the new nations might have ground to make up. Canada, the United States and Japan will certainly have a chance if they want to bid, but a lot will depend on who of the established nations throws their hat into the ring.

A very interesting piece. There are a number of second-tier nations, the USA among them, who could well stage a successful Rugby World Cup. Japan, and perhaps Argentina, are probably ahead of them in the queue at the moment and Canada must also be in the fray.

What they need is to be given the opportunity by the IRB. After the 2011 decision, 2015 is presumably due to go back to the northern hemisphere, so only Argentina of the new nations might have ground to make up. Canada, the United States and Japan will certainly have a chance if they want to bid, but a lot will depend on who of the established nations throws their hat into the ring.

I PERSONALLY THINK THAT IF JAPAN BID THEN THEY WILL HAVE THE STRONGEST CHANCE OF HOSTING THE CUP

As a apology or consolation prize after 2011. Possible, but perhaps the sour grapes will count against them.

yea true, they werent very happy about losing the vote for the 2011 cup. NEW ZEALAND beat them, good job lol

If the IRB eventually gets off its old boys' arses and takes the WC outside the tradional powers, the USA would have to be a shoe-in as one of leading contenders. On top of what a great market to try and open up and grow Rugby, the game at least has a solid, if hugely overshadowed base in the US, particularly in the Bay Area and New England, apparently.

Japan didn't do its cause any good when it dummy spat after the 2011 decision. It should have been smart enough to be gracious and stay above the fray _ the likes of the Australian and English press and commentators were already doing enough dummy spitting on their behalf anyway.

I think the conduct of the Japanese after the 2011 decision was announced, though understandable, could well count against them if they do bid for 2015. They might be better off waiting and coming back for 2019 or 2023.

I think the conduct of the Japanese after the 2011 decision was announced, though understandable, could well count against them if they do bid for 2015. They might be better off waiting and coming back for 2019 or 2023.

yea i suppose i agree with you. I would like to see the games go to an emerging rugby nation such as the US or Canada. The only problem is whether they could attract the crowds?

yea i suppose i agree with you. I would like to see the games go to an emerging rugby nation such as the US or Canada. The only problem is whether they could attract the crowds?

I've no doubt that the US would get the crowds. When it comes to a World Cup, the US would get behind it. And it would help its profile in the long run, too _ I think Rugby, with its contact elements and high scoring would be of more broader appeal to the average American than Soccer ultimately is. It would never overtake American Football in popularity, but it could emerge as a gioiod second-tier game in the US. And as i said, it does have a good base in the US already, and not just with ethnic Americans or expats as soccer is there.

Canada? I just don't think the Canadians get excited too much at anything if it isn't Ice Hockey.

I've no doubt that the US would get the crowds. When it comes to a World Cup, the US would get behind it. And it would help its profile in the long run, too _ I think Rugby, with its contact elements and high scoring would be of more broader appeal to the average American than Soccer ultimately is. It would never overtake American Football in popularity, but it could emerge as a gioiod second-tier game in the US. And as i said, it does have a good base in the US already, and not just with ethnic Americans or expats as soccer is there.

Canada? I just don't think the Canadians get excited too much at anything if it isn't Ice Hockey.

complete lie, just because tomorrow when 31 million of us will be watching a hockey game it does not mean that we only care about hockey. millions have watched the matches of the WC so far, probably higher ratings per match per capita then the USA, not to mention the CFL gets a lot of viewers and butts in the stands.

I could never see Canada hosting the event on our own, but rugby goes back a long way in history here as one of the first sports to be played. I think if there was a dual bid with Canada and the USA it would be better, plus and reason to upgrade and build new stadia is fine by me.

complete lie, just because tomorrow when 31 million of us will be watching a hockey game it does not mean that we only care about hockey. millions have watched the matches of the WC so far, probably higher ratings per match per capita then the USA, not to mention the CFL gets a lot of viewers and butts in the stands.

I could never see Canada hosting the event on our own, but rugby goes back a long way in history here as one of the first sports to be played. I think if there was a dual bid with Canada and the USA it would be better, plus and reason to upgrade and build new stadia is fine by me.

Well, on the plus side, Canada does hold a seat on the IRB board, while the US doesn't. And yes, Edmonton is hosting the Women's Rugby World Cup in August this year. So, I'll admit, a co-hosting I could see happening, and might make more sense in the long run.

Well, on the plus side, Canada does hold a seat on the IRB board, while the US doesn't. And yes, Edmonton is hosting the Women's Rugby World Cup in August this year. So, I'll admit, a co-hosting I could see happening, and might make more sense in the long run.

It would have to be regionalized, having Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal and Halifax, then Boston, New York, Philedelphia, Columbus or Cinci or Cleveland.

It would have to be regionalized, having Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal and Halifax, then Boston, New York, Philedelphia, Columbus or Cinci or Cleveland.

San Francisco would have to be one of the US pool hosts _ the Bay Area is probably the strongest Rugby stronghold in North America (remember Mark Bingham, one of the heroes of the doomed UA93 on September 11, was a gay Rugby player from San Fran)

San Francisco would have to be one of the US pool hosts _ the Bay Area is probably the strongest Rugby stronghold in North America (remember Mark Bingham, one of the heroes of the doomed UA93 on September 11, was a gay Rugby player from San Fran)

and san francisco already hosts one of the irb rugby 7s tournaments

and san francisco already hosts one of the irb rugby 7s tournaments

Exactly. Indeed, when it comes down to it, San Francisco would probably the best place to host the final.

My Canada/USA pools

Toronto (opening match host)

Montreal

Hamilton

Vancouver

Edmonton

New York

Boston

Philadelphia

Chicago

Los Angeles

San Francisco (Final match host)

And then the top teams can be seeded _ the Pacific powers on the West Coast (Vancouver-NZ, LA-Australia, SF-Fiji) and the Euro powers on the East Coast (England-Hamilton, Ireland-Boston, France-Montreal, Scotland-Philadelphia) etc. Canada gets seeded in the Toronto group and the US in the Chicago group. That should maximise the local crowds as well as the travelling supporters.

Exactly. Indeed, when it comes down to it, San Francisco would probably the best place to host the final.

My Canada/USA pools

Toronto (opening match host)

Montreal

Hamilton

Vancouver

Edmonton

New York

Boston

Philadelphia

Chicago

Los Angeles

San Francisco (Final match host)

And then the top teams can be seeded _ the Pacific powers on the West Coast (Vancouver-NZ, LA-Australia, SF-Fiji) and the Euro powers on the East Coast (England-Hamilton, Ireland-Boston, France-Montreal, Scotland-Philadelphia) etc. Canada gets seeded in the Toronto group and the US in the Chicago group. That should maximise the local crowds as well as the travelling supporters.

i agree with you i think that would be a great idea

Wikipedia, interestingly, is touting Japan as the front runner, but also saying Canada has expressed interest and puts big wraps on Argentina as a popular contender as well (along side the usual suspects of Ireland, Scotland and South Africa). They also mention Spain and Portugal as possible joint bidders.

Wiki 2015 Rugby WC

Wikipedia, interestingly, is touting Japan as the front runner, but also saying Canada has expressed interest and puts big wraps on Argentina as a popular contender as well (along side the usual suspects of Ireland, Scotland and South Africa). They also mention Spain and Portugal as possible joint bidders.

Wiki 2015 Rugby WC

i would like to see the cup awarded to argentina!

Does Chile have any kind of rugby tradition? I think Uruguay would be a more likely co-host, especially given they reached the last World Cup.

I've noticed the Churchill Cup (which some of the Home Unions second teams play in) has seen more games in the USA this year than before. It seems as though rugby is a growing sport, and a World Cup could help that growth still further.

Let's have 2015 as a tournament for the new frontiers.

Does Chile have any kind of rugby tradition? I think Uruguay would be a more likely co-host, especially given they reached the last World Cup.

I've noticed the Churchill Cup (which some of the Home Unions second teams play in) has seen more games in the USA this year than before. It seems as though rugby is a growing sport, and a World Cup could help that growth still further.

Let's have 2015 as a tournament for the new frontiers.

yea i definately think rugby is improving and growing in the USA, i no that some new zealand coaches have gone to New York and help set up coaching clinincs and a rugby tournament which is good.

Chile rugby tradition, umm i am not too sure i will have to check the irb website! But uruguay as a co-host would definately be another goood idea

In Chile, it's of course not a major sport, but yes, they do have some Rugby.

Remember the film "Alive!" about the rugby team that crashed in the Andes and ended up cannibalising those who'd died? They were a Uruguayan team flying to compete in a match in Chile.

Archived